Trail Cubist

Another "Where to go for a MTB vacation?" thread...

I live in Morgantown, WV and want to plan an MTB vacation (maybe 4-5 days) somewhere within an easy day's drive (meaning 6-8hrs or less from my location---don't want to do any18-hour marathon drives). Here are my basic criteria:

- within 6-8hrs away (or around 400 miles max)
    - fantastic intermediate XC riding (nothing crazy-technical, no gnarly downhill, no jumps---climbs are fine)
    - either one incredibly long, awesome trail system that I could ride for days and not get bored with it...or...
    - multiple shorter trail systems (all great) that are within an hour of each other
    - no shuttle required (loop trails)...or trails with a nice road ride back to the car...or readily available commercial shuttle
    - nothing in/near any big cities (I'm after beautiful scenery and lack of people---rural areas, mountains)
    - nice campground (with hot showers) nearby...or really cheap motels (but not total fleabags)
    - someplace to buy groceries and/or cheap places to eat

All ideas welcome! :-) (I probably won't do this til the spring...but I'm starting to plan early since I want to find the best place to go!)

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    top 3 off the top of my head. raccoon mountain TN, brown county IN, alegripis, PA. do a search, and you will find a ton of info on these areas.

banned
    Is western NC within 400 miles?

bust a move
    Doesn't quite fit into your 400 mile area (a bit over 450) but Tsali trail system in western NC near Bryson City hits almost every item on the list. 40+ miles of ride in/out trails, camping, hot showers and has nearby whitewater rafting and some great hiking in the area also. My wife and I enjoy it enough to drive 625 miles to ride/camp there about once every 2 years. Hope that helps.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Brown Co. Indiana

I would recommend Brown Co. Indiana (which looks to be about 390 miles away from you).

My son and I went down there earlier this year and rode Brown County State Park trails. We started from Hesitation Point, went down to Green Valley loop then came back up to Hesitation and did Walnut (we skipped Schooner as that we were exhausted).

The Brown Co. State park alone would give you 2-3 days of good rides even you didnt short yourself (like we did due to time). Nearby towns of Columbus Indiana and Bloomington are very nice and provide lodging. We actually rented bikes from Columbus Bike Station. The bikes were top notch and the people were very nice (owner actually rented me his own Trek Top Fuel).

I have included a hyperlink for Brown Co. below

Brown County Mountain Bike Trails Nashville, Indiana, USA

Trail Cubist
    Thanks all---good suggestions!

@OHtard: Never heard of either Raccoon Mountain TN or Brown County IN---and since Brown County got 2 votes, I'll have to check that out! I do know Allegrippis (Raystown Lake)...I've ridden there---awesome trail system, and that might be an easy closer option (only about 90mins away).

Western NC might be a bit far, but probably not beyond reach (still a day's drive). I know the Bryson City area (I'm a whitewater paddler too) but haven't been there since I got into MTB so didn't know what was available down there. I know there's a lot in NC.

What about DuPont forest? (If I got the name right.) And was it Pisgah that I heard about? (I've seen some incredible photos of trails down there somewhere that look like western trails because they run over big stretches of solid exposed bedrock...that looks really cool.)

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I go to Tsali frequently and like it a lot, but not sure if it's 4-5 days of riding unless you're willing to repeat the trails. Dupont is good, but it's a lot of short interconnected trails that is very confusing - you can spend all your time on fire road if you don't know where you are. Would be worth getting a guide for at least one day. Pisgah is supposed to be good technical trails but I haven't ridden there. Panthertown Valley is not worth traveling to. Be careful in West NC because the drive times can be a lot more than you expect driving through mountain roads.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    When you say "multiple shorter trails", what range are you talking? 3-5 miles each? And about how much riding are you looking to get in in the 4-5 days? Brown County looks like it might be your winner.

Big Mac
    Pisgah. And then Pisgah.

Trail Cubist
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    When you say "multiple shorter trails", what range are you talking? 3-5 miles each? And about how much riding are you looking to get in in the 4-5 days? Brown County looks like it might be your winner.
    I'm basically just interested in riding 4-6hrs a day for 3-4 days (not counting a couple travel days on either end). Maybe a little longer each day, depends on how tough the trails are. (I'm probably not in shape enough to ride from dawn 'til dusk every day...unless it's pretty easy riding.)

At Raystown Lake/Allegrippis, for example, I can ride 15 miles in a day...but that's on pretty fast, flowing, non-technical trails.

Don't know anything about Pisgah...need to do some research into riding there. (And I still want to know where those mighty rock slabs are in NC?)

Scott