mtbr member

Another Elite X4 Thomson failure thread

As the title states, I have an unbreakable Thomson stem that is broken. Unlike the other posts where its the face plate that cracks, mine has a 2 inch crack on the underside of the stem. I'm not quite sure how this happened, I didn't hit any jumps or anything unreasonable, just normal XC riding. Anyone else experience a non face plate crack, and how did Thomson handle it? I purchased the stem about a year ago and I do not have a receipt. Sorry for the blurry picture, my camera wouldn't focus up close.
    Photobucket

Village Dirtbag
    Operator error. You have to push the macro button to focus up close. It's the one with a picture of a little flower.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My thomsom cracked in the cradle. They are supose to replace it. Will see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My buddy cracked his in the same way yours did, I believe it was on the top though. Thompson replaced it, no questions asked, after the LBS made a call. The call lasted about 1 minute.

We all still trust Thomson and all run them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks Thomson s reply to me was send it for replacement. I was impressed with their warranty and good dealings..

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    No reciept? That might be a problem. But contact them anyway. Did u use a credit card?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Maybe I'm just plain ignorant on the topic, but I am in the dark as to why seat posts and stems are such a popular "upgrade." They are such simple parts that never break anyway, why do people feel the need to get a Thompson or any other "upgrade" for these simple parts? Seems like people just enjoy spending money.

I've never seen a stock seat post or stem fail.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pcar964
    I've never seen a stock seat post or stem fail.
    I've personally broken more than one seat post by coming down with all my weight on the wrong part of the seat. None were Thomson, but there's a chance I'd have broken one of those under the same conditions.

I agree with the rest of your post - I wouldn't upgrade a perfectly good part to a Thomson either. I admit to having two Thomson posts installed right now, but both bikes were built from scratch so the Thomson *is* the stock post on those bikes.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

thecentralscrutinizer
    Could the problem be related to an over-torque issue. That's interesting to see a Thomson anything broken
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Underskilled
    I notice a good quality seatpost, but I weigh a lot so maybe it is more noticable.

I would never trust a light stem. One of the guys in my dads club used a fancy carbon fibre stem. After it shattered, the steering tube smashed through the front of his jaw, shattering it an a lot of teeth in the process. Then he fell off.

I would trust a thomson seatpost, but easton is my preferred stem manufacturer.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    I sent a bent Masterpiece seatpost directly to Thomson with my receipt and an explanation of why I felt it was a warranty issue. I also sent an email that wasn't returned. One day after posting on MTBR asking about Thomson's warranty policy and customer service, I received a replacement post on my doorstep. Guess I jumped the gun on that one! The replacement is still going strong, as are my 2 other posts and X4 stem.

I think there are better value stems out there, but Thomson gets points for standing behind their product.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Not saying you over torqued anything but the main reason I got a torque wrench was because of my Thomson seatpost and stem. The last thing I need is a crack due to a simple over tightened bolt.

Thomson is among best for warranties.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed