Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dwt
    mtbr member

Another EBay story

I recently sold a 2013 Tall Boy carbon, used last season only. $4500 new, winning bid $2500. Great deal for buyer, or what? Buyer up in arms that I did not disclose attached cosmetic scratches on frame in my auction description
    He's right, I didn't. I'm thinking used 2013 TBc for $2500, deal with it and ride the piss out of it.

Opinions ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member

Another EBay story

I would have shown the scratches in the eBay photos.

I also wouldn't have complained if I was the buyer.

NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    I'm not a bit surprised, the first think I learned about selling anything on ebay was to take close up pics of any flaws and also to disclose them in writing to avoid things like this.

mtbr member
    Yeah, should have shown the pics of the scratches. You want to sell your item but, you also want to get a good rep from the buyer. Tough to achieve both of those without revealing problems with the product being sold.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    I would have shown the scratches in the eBay photos.

I also wouldn't have complained if I was the buyer.
    My feelings exactly on both counts.

Probably should have been more upfront with pics, dwt. Out of curiosity, how up in arms was the buyer?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

psycho cyclo addict
    +1 - it is all about setting expectations :/

Some buyers have unrealistically high ones for sure.

I've been buying and selling on eBay since 1999 and count myself among the lucky with only two painful experiences so far. One eventually got worked out over a few weeks (seller shipped me a different p/n on an expensive item and tried getting away with it). The other one, buyer said he didn't receive an item. A US Postal inspector asked some questions and low and behold the jerkwad "remembered" receiving it.

dwt
    mtbr member

Another EBay story

I honestly did not know of the scratches. In hindsight, I did blow it. Wasn't careful, my bad. But he did get an awesome bargain no matter how you slice it. I say deal with it and go ride. If you don't put more scratches in it, then ride harder. MTB is not a beauty contest. On a road bike frame , these defects certainly would be deal breakers. Not normal on the road, SOP off road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You have to clean and inspect a used product for sale. Unless that is shipping damage. Bike frames get wrapped with that white foam sheet material.
    The way things are on ebay for buyers they need to know everything you should know about your product, they expect to have all the info. Then they can decide what's important to them.
    Gota side with the buyer. I think it's going to cost you.

bumbles bounce
    Unfortunately buyer remorse runs rampant on fleabay. A great way to cover your arse is to disclose all flaws with the product up front. Post extra pics and list everything that someone might find a problem with. Even then issues can and will arise. Don't assume that by showing all things potentially wrong with it you still won't receive flack from the buyer.

I recently sold an older chris king wheelset there only to be contacted later by the buyer about a problem. He had disassembled the wheels to use the hubs on some newer rims and found some corrosion on a few of the spoke nipples inside the rim. These are things I would've easily missed so I didn't disclose in the item description. I ended up refunding him $5 and they were more than happy. Sometimes small gestures such as this work wonders.

mtbr member
    Depends on how you described the bike. If you played it off like it was in excellent condition, I'd be pretty jacked about getting a bike that was all chewed up like that. If you didn't make it out to be a great condition bike, then I'd say for the price, buyer beware. Either way, those scratches look significant enough they should have been disclosed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    I honestly did not know of the scratches.
    This doesn't makes sense. If you didn't scratch it it got scratched in shipping or unpacking. If you did scratch it it seems like you'd know about it.

it it

mtbr member
    I would have returned the bike myself. If it was not in the ad and it came with those scratches. I ride hard but take care of my bikes, never really have any scratches like those on my own bikes. JIMO

mtbr member
    Seller at fault IMO, if I'm buying a bike advertised as in great shape with only minor use marks and got this I would immediately dispute the transaction and ask for my money back.

When selling you have to be honest and upfront to avoid this kind of situations.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    If that's the ad...yeah, I'd be pissed too. Doesn't matter how much was paid. Those gouges, no way someone didn't know they were there. So either OP is lying through his face or the bike was damaged during shipping.

Weekend Warrior
    pretty obvious scratch, all you need to do is say there are a few scratches and put a pix of scratch in eBay to protect yourself as seller. Because buyer can easily escalate the case and demand whatever he wants.

My suggestion is to offer a partial refund to make buyer at least feel a little level with the discount.
    Realtor/Photographer and weekend warrior.
    My Endomondo
    My Cycling Deals Blog

dwt
    mtbr member

Another EBay story

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    If that's the ad...yeah, I'd be pissed too. Doesn't matter how much was paid. Those gouges, no way someone didn't know they were there. So either OP is lying through his face or the bike was damaged during shipping.
    That's the one. I never noticed them, so shipping sounds plausible, even with all the foam padding I stuffed into the box. Either way, I'm responsible. Plus they are cosmetic scratches, not "gouges " which could affect frame's structural integrity. Buyer agreed they did not. He's keeping the bike and I gave him partial refund. Both of us satisfied

It's about showing up.
    This isn't adding up.
    I don't rattle.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

Lots of Asshat Buyers on eBay....

I recently sold a gently used, Roval Control SL carbon 29er wheelset, to a buyer from Hell. He "urgently" wanted the wheels in 2-days(from CA to GA) without paying any more extra shipping. I told him it cannot be done, without paying FedEx Express fees. So, he waited the full 4 days he initially paid for. Once he got the wheels, he immediately filed a "Not as described" claim against me, citing the rear wheel has ONE non-oem spoke installed(absolutely NOT true)....and I never disclosed this to him. I called him up fuming mad. He said, "all I want is $35 partial refund, and I'll leave positive feedback for you." Reluctantly, I refunded him what he requested, and the claim was dropped. I waited 11 days for his feedback...but got nothing.

So, I left "positive feedback" on him with a scathing remark, warning future sellers NEVER to sell to him. Then, I CLOSED my ebay account for good(no more fee rape, from them!).
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Agreed, and I'll conjecture that this buyer was one of those asshats. When purchasing a used product, one that involves such a large amount of money, who doesn't drill the seller with questions about it's condition? Seller might have ****ed up, but so did the buyer in this case.

A one-year old bike at half retail? My only message would have been to say I found more/bigger scratches than described, but thanks, awesome bike!

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    This isn't adding up.

In what way?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Buyer up in arms that I did not disclose attached cosmetic scratches on frame in my auction description
    Well that was a stupid thing to do.

Disclose everything, if he files a complaint with Ebay he's got you over a barrel.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt
    In hindsight, I did blow it. Wasn't careful, my bad.
    correct. case closed.

now do the right thing by the buyer.

But he did get an awesome bargain no matter how you slice it. I say deal with it and go ride. If you don't put more scratches in it, then ride harder.
    not according to him, and he's the one shelling out the $$$. since you're NOT the buyer is it realistic to force your standards/expectations on him so you can escape accountability for blowing it?

and no, a mtb doesn't have to look like that if its ridden hard. i've got mtb's with at least 10x the mileage of that one that get ridden HARD, and are still virtually pristine. riding hard doesn't mean crashing into things or having your bike look like it was attacked by a rabid chicken with steel talons.

I never noticed them, so shipping sounds plausible, even with all the foam padding I stuffed into the box. Either way, I'm responsible. Plus they are cosmetic scratches, not "gouges " which could affect frame's structural integrity. Buyer agreed they did not. He's keeping the bike and I gave him partial refund. Both of us satisfied
    kudos, bro. you did the right thing.

if they happened during shipping you could've held the carrier responsible provided it was properly packed. another good reason to closely inspect and document with phots anything sold on ebay. they only allow 12 on the listing, but i take about 50 from every conceivable angle to cover myself from shipper-caused damage.

chalk it up to a good lesson to thoroughly inspect and photograph ANYTHING you sell on fleabay. i disclose the tiniest defects, purely cosmetic or otherwise, because i've had too many nitpickers on the flea that will buy something and then raise a ruckus over truly inconsequential and petty issues.

and the tragedy is that fleabay couldn't give a flying leap at jupiter about their sellers. they protect buyers at ALL costs. the horror stories i could tell, some when i've proven irrefutably that the buyer was outright lying and still was ruled against.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Being a carbon frame most buyers will want to know about any scratch. Honestly the one near the shock looks bad in the picture and I probably wouldn't bid on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    Being a carbon frame most buyers will want to know about any scratch. Honestly the one near the shock looks bad in the picture and I probably wouldn't bid on it.
    Good point
    Not judging everything and everyone and just giving good advice is good advice. Not to mention a good indicator of a healthy mind and person, and a more pleasant experience for the members here
    Personally and ideally I wouldn't buy a bike on eBay because I'd want to see it, more so with carbon. And definitely not unless the seller had a whooping rating
    Round and round we go

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast