Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    RTM
    RTM is offline
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Reputation: RTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,671

    Another disturbing encounter

    For the past two seasons, mostly on the weekends, I've been noticing strategically placed baby heads and branches in the trails. This is in a very rocky and rugged trail system to begin with, but these rocks and sticks stand out like a sore thumb. It is a blatant attempt by a previously anonymous hiker to slow down the bikers. In some cases she had the nerve to use rocks from erosion barriers that we built to protect the trail and route bike traffic responsibly. Well, the other night she got her comeuppance!

    I caught a woman rolling a semi-large rock into the exit of a normally fast, single track turn. you tuck around a big tree then over a few roots and down a steep slope of loose rock. She was hiding the rock from view of anyone entering the turn. She knew exactly what she was doing. I said, "hey, that's not cool. You could hurt someone doing that." She replied, "you bikers are the problem. YOU are going to hurt someone."

    With that she took a few steps away from me, slipped on something, twisted her ankle and hit the ground. I hesitated, but saw her pop up and hobble away before I took off.


    - Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

  2. #2
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,607
    LOL, i wouldnt have held it against you if you pissed on her while she was down..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SteveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    Did you report her? I'd have taken her picture and reported her to the rangers/cops. At least let someone know what she was doing, where and when. That shit ain't cool!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Simplemind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    I'd have taken her picture and reported her to the rangers/cops.
    I think if you just whip out your phone and take a picture of her in action, and make sure she sees you doing that, you'd probably never see her again. Beatch!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    644
    You should have stopped and asked if she needed help moving the rock into position. Then bashed her skull on it and positioned her body to look like she tripped, fell, and hit her head.....
    Or taken a picture and turned her in for conspiracy to commit assault.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crossracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    421
    Actually the picture idea is brillant. I like that alot. It give the rangers and other riders someone to watch out for.

    And twisting her ankle is karma with teeth biting her in the butt. THink she might learn from that? Naw.

    Bill

  7. #7
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,746

    Another disturbing encounter

    Report her!

    In the past I have ridden trails that had resident anti-bike trail vandalizers/harassers. These people will only escalate until they are caught and punished. They are too thick to pick up on katma's hints

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Did you report her? I'd have taken her picture and reported her to the rangers/cops. At least let someone know what she was doing, where and when. That shit ain't cool!
    I agree. It will deter her because she knows she has been identified. She will tell her friends not to pull the same stuff because she will be the suspect if someone is injured. If she is prosecuted -- like the guy in Oregon -- it will send a message to others.

  9. #9
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,607
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    you should have stopped and asked if she needed help moving the rock into position. Then bashed her skull on it and positioned her body to look like she tripped, fell, and hit her head.....
    Or taken a picture and turned her in for conspiracy to commit assault.
    bwahahahahahaha, pure gold
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  10. #10
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,419
    +1111111 on reporting her.

    do it

    do it today

    do it now

    Name:  You-Can-Do-It.jpg
Views: 3570
Size:  16.0 KB
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,045
    Be a complete jackwagon; urinate facing toward her, ruining her walk.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

  12. #12
    How much further ???
    Reputation: Douger-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,229
    Its really distrubing that there is such blantant disregard for others trail users safety and well being.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

  13. #13
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Its really distrubing that there is such blantant disregard for others trail users safety and well being.
    You mean by facing her when urinating?
    It's all Here. Now.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    For the past two seasons, mostly on the weekends, I've been noticing strategically placed baby heads and branches in the trails. This is in a very rocky and rugged trail system to begin with, but these rocks and sticks stand out like a sore thumb. It is a blatant attempt by a previously anonymous hiker to slow down the bikers. In some cases she had the nerve to use rocks from erosion barriers that we built to protect the trail and route bike traffic responsibly. Well, the other night she got her comeuppance!

    I caught a woman rolling a semi-large rock into the exit of a normally fast, single track turn. you tuck around a big tree then over a few roots and down a steep slope of loose rock. She was hiding the rock from view of anyone entering the turn. She knew exactly what she was doing. I said, "hey, that's not cool. You could hurt someone doing that." She replied, "you bikers are the problem. YOU are going to hurt someone."

    With that she took a few steps away from me, slipped on something, twisted her ankle and hit the ground. I hesitated, but saw her pop up and hobble away before I took off.


    - Rob
    I would have placed under citizens arrest and called BLM rangers to collect her. had she attempted to escape she would have slipped and fallen several more times.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

  15. #15
    Flow like water
    Reputation: DavyRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    I would have placed under citizens arrest and called BLM rangers to collect her. had she attempted to escape she would have slipped and fallen several more times.
    Despite Mayberry and all, don't try this in North Carolina.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    102
    I think with these people it has zero to do with anything but them, period.
    The environment is simply a tool they try to use obviously with little understanding.
    Its this. They, typically an older person , or someone who is anti social and lives in their own personal world too much and begin to view certain actions as afronts to their rights with absolutely no thought about the fact that it is not only them and the people they view as friends(those who have the same hobby if that is light hiking.)
    They think that they should be able to hike anywhere they please without being surprised by a mountain bike. This encounter takes them from their perfect ideal to something that is now compromised. They have this massive sense of entitlement, often retirees who feel owed somehow, they are a minority but they are present.
    If a dialogue begins they may, at first, be quiet but grumpy, not having much ammo to reply to the shared trail which they will NEVER recognize because it may have removed that 100% tranquility they think they deserve, the learned ones simply go on with
    environmental arguments that fall flat.
    They are simply greedy zealots and usually NIMBYs who have nothing else going on in their lives. Unfortunately, the combo of this being there only real activity with it being their area(they feel they own it) and plain stubbornness turns normal people into obsessed nuts who turn this into a personal war. It all about winning against you and has nothing to do with green or what is right, its about them beating you and NOTHING less will do. Some, as pointed out, will do criminal acts they justify in their little worlds. I think its a way for them to think they can win this little battle that they create.

    I really have zero use for these POS. Frankly, I don't care how old they are they act like freaking pre schoolers over the building blocks while arguing real causes in their defense that themselves don't support their argument because they are simply trying to win and could care less about real issues.
    I catch someone doing what I think could do someone harm on a trail and I don't know what I would do but it wouldn't be nice PR. I would likely intimidate the ****ing hell out of them and say that I am either going to get your name, your cars plate number or your fiends plate number or your address because I am following you a out of this park and if you have the balls to actually do what you obviously wish to do but without being a coward, I am right here.
    Sorry, but verbally being a dick is one thing but putting my ass at risk , thats my line there. They want to call the police? Even better,as that gives me the chance for them to see your handy work AND we both have a report with BOTH of our names and now if anything like this happens in the future guess whos name will pop up as having been involved in similar activity?
    It ends well because, everyone knows these people are passive aggressive and don't have the nads to do anything face to face so nothing will happen other than you scaring the crap out of them and them now having to process this situation the next time their mind thinks that is a good idea.
    Last edited by xmessenger; 01-25-2015 at 01:28 AM. Reason: another thought to add.

  17. #17
    EMBA Member
    Reputation: Ladmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,226

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MtbRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by xmessenger View Post
    I think with these people it has zero to do with anything but them, period.
    The environment is simply a tool they try to use obviously with little understanding.
    Its this. They, typically an older person , or someone who is anti social and lives in their own personal world too much and begin to view certain actions as afronts to their rights with absolutely no thought about the fact that it is not only them and the people they view as friends(those who have the same hobby if that is light hiking.)
    They think that they should be able to hike anywhere they please without being surprised by a mountain bike. This encounter takes them from their perfect ideal to something that is now compromised. They have this massive sense of entitlement, often retirees who feel owed somehow, they are a minority but they are present.
    If a dialogue begins they may, at first, be quiet but grumpy, not having much ammo to reply to the shared trail which they will NEVER recognize because it may have removed that 100% tranquility they think they deserve, the learned ones simply go on with
    environmental arguments that fall flat.
    They are simply greedy zealots and usually NIMBYs who have nothing else going on in their lives. Unfortunately, the combo of this being there only real activity with it being their area(they feel they own it) and plain stubbornness turns normal people into obsessed nuts who turn this into a personal war. It all about winning against you and has nothing to do with green or what is right, its about them beating you and NOTHING less will do. Some, as pointed out, will do criminal acts they justify in their little worlds. I think its a way for them to think they can win this little battle that they create.

    I really have zero use for these POS. Frankly, I don't care how old they are they act like freaking pre schoolers over the building blocks while arguing real causes in their defense that themselves don't support their argument because they are simply trying to win and could care less about real issues.
    I catch someone doing what I think could do someone harm on a trail and I don't know what I would do but it wouldn't be nice PR. I would likely intimidate the ****ing hell out of them and say that I am either going to get your name, your cars plate number or your fiends plate number or your address because I am following you a out of this park and if you have the balls to actually do what you obviously wish to do but without being a coward, I am right here.
    Sorry, but verbally being a dick is one thing but putting my ass at risk , thats my line there. They want to call the police? Even better,as that gives me the chance for them to see your handy work AND we both have a report with BOTH of our names and now if anything like this happens in the future guess whos name will pop up as having been involved in similar activity?
    It ends well because, everyone knows these people are passive aggressive and don't have the nads to do anything face to face so nothing will happen other than you scaring the crap out of them and them now having to process this situation the next time their mind thinks that is a good idea.
    I find this post to be as disturbing as the OP's original encounter. If not more so...
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

  19. #19
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,771
    Take pictures. Document.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    Actually the picture idea is brillant. I like that alot. It give the rangers and other riders someone to watch out for.
    ... and any complaint she might have would be answered with 'I'm taking a picture to make sure you don't find a lawyer and fabricate a story about myself or any other biker being involved in your injuring yourself'. Once one person is documented doing stupid **** like that, they'll be surprisingly helpful about the same sort of stuff not happening if they've been documented there creating obstacles, since a civil suit against them would be so effective.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    117
    Pictures are good. Glad to hear that you called her out and then left it at that though. Arguing with her or carrying on just makes her more determined to continue what she's doing. I respect the opinion of everyone but IMO we are each ambassadors of our sport when we're on the trail and we don't need to sink to the level of argument or intimidation-paints us all with a brush I myself don't want to be painted with.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: telemike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    292
    I've found rocks and branches that seem to be deliberately placed where bikers cannot see them. I move them and notify the responsible agency's enforcement branch whether it be the county sheriff or a ranger. The advice to photograph the culprit and report their activity is golden if you're lucky enough to encounter them.

    However, each one of us that screams past hikers shouting "on yer left" at the last second has some responsibility for triggering these nuts. Get a light little bell and use it well before passing. You'll generate good publicity rather than anger. Unless, of course, the hiker has ear buds in - then he's earned a scare.

  23. #23
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,888
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Get a light little bell and use it well before passing. You'll generate good publicity rather than anger.
    +1000


    no one seems to get mad at a little bike bell, Bringgg Bringggg!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    182
    yup, i've had this happen at my nearby trail park... luckily its only on one section but have yet to see anyone doing it. its really disgusting and makes me fear riding the area as I might not see something next time.

    hope you're able to catch and report her

Similar Threads

  1. Aggressive Dog Encounter
    By PickeringMTB in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-22-2013, 07:26 PM
  2. I find this disturbing..
    By Arch Itech in forum Passion
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 10-09-2012, 08:49 AM
  3. Hiker encounter
    By Spinning Lizard in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 04:24 PM
  4. So something a little bit disturbing happened today
    By Buggyr333 in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 07:03 PM
  5. i got some disturbing news....
    By doesyourchainhanglow in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 10:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •