Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    fc
    head minion Administrator

Announcement: Mtbr has a new owner!

I am pleased to announce that Mtbr and Roadbikereview have been acquired by Verticalscope Inc. from Invenda Corp. They are a media company expert in enthusiast websites and forum management with many revered brands such as Autoguide and The Truth About Cars.

Myself, Francis Cebedo and most members of the editorial and content team will continue on and run Mtbr and Roadbikereview. The transition should be fairly seamless as we slowly make improvements as they make sense.

This move opens up a whole new array of experience and technologies to the sites to allow them to thrive. We will now have access to resources to improve our product and grow our audience in the ever-changing media landscape.

Our challenging issues such as spam, mobile experience and ease of use will be better tackled now with the help of a parent company with a depth of experience in these areas. And we'll be able to deliver cool features and user experiences once again.

We look forward to your continued support.

Francis Cebedo and Mtbr.com
    IPA will save America

Administrator Administrator
    Jun 2018
    Hello everyone,

My name is Philip, I am a community manager for Verticalscope, I work with a small team that will continue to manage the webmaster duties for MTBR.com.

We are here to help primarily with the technical end of things and help make the jobs of the current Mods/Admins easier. I posted a real basic run down to answer common questions below. If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to post them in response.

What are our intentions?

We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will continue to be around for years to come. It’s our goal to work with the mod/admin team to help provide the resources and required work to give this community a broader reach, to attract new members, and to better the overall knowledge shared in the community.

Will leadership change?

Continuity is the focus here, YOU as the membership work very hard to keep building this community while your mod/admin team keep the walls and the roof up in this place; we are primarily here to make sure the lights stay on. Every community is unique and should always be respected in that regard. You all have established your own unique rules and regulations and a strong reputation that is carried by all of this. For us it’s paramount to maintain this level of integrity and enthusiasm.

What am I here for?

Our primary role is to be the technical contact; you all contributed to building the strong foundation the site was built on. Moving forward we will all work together to keep the momentum and the community growing. We will be on the forum checking in daily to make sure regular maintenance is taken care of and keeping things running smoothly from behind the scenes. We will also be setting up a help desk on the site for when you have questions or issues with the site or your account and need assistance.

Looking forward to working with you all.

Thanks,

Philip

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Congrats FC!

...and Welcome Philip! (You may be looking forward to working with us "all" right now, but wait. Just you wait!)
    Last edited by chuckha62; 06-26-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    "The maturity of an 8 year-old boy coupled with the insecurity of a teen aged girl."

Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Congrats FC!

...and Welcome Philip! (You may be looking forward to working with us "all" right now, but wait. Just you wait!)
    Noted. If you have ideas for how to make the time you spend here better let me know.
    -Philip

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My only wish is that the new owners please make the site objective and as free from industry influence as much as possible.

...and add a MTB skills forum
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    My only wish is that the new owners please make the site objective and as free from industry influence as much as possible.

The content of the forum is driven by enthusiast members and not the companies that make the products. We don't make a point of curating the conversations. The editorial side is still dictated by what is new and popular but everyone will have differing opinions on what is cool/not cool.

Any new sections added will go through the mod team for a discussion on logistics and make sure we can support it well. Your suggestion will be discussed.

-Philip

Hardtail Steel Forever
    To echo Lemonaid, The only real complain I've ever had here is when enthusiastic threads about upcoming products get deleted at a manufacturer's request, because they want to control the information about their products even when it's entirely speculative, which I think is absolutely ridiculous. Speaking to you right now: Shimano 12 speed thread deletions...

Anyway, I run a bunch of online property myself. It's great to see that someone who actually understands how forums should work is going to keep it going. Too many times I've seen the overly-corporate buyouts and they often don't have a clue why something became popular in the first place and inadvertently take steps to mess it all up.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

EAT MORE GRIME
    shimano 12 speed discussions have been getting killed ? are you serious ?

holy moly if this is true.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    To echo Lemonaid, The only real complain I've ever had here is when enthusiastic threads about upcoming products get deleted at a manufacturer's request, because they want to control the information about their products even when it's entirely speculative, which I think is absolutely ridiculous. Speaking to you right now: Shimano 12 speed thread deletions...

Anyway, I run a bunch of online property myself. It's great to see that someone who actually understands how forums should work is going to keep it going. Too many times I've seen the overly-corporate buyouts and they often don't have a clue why something became popular in the first place and inadvertently take steps to mess it all up.
    I cannot make comments to the former since I just got here today.

The latter I can tell you; VS is corporate. but we are focused on content and continuity . Deleting content does little for the organic growth of the site or the health of the database.
    -Philip

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Can you get rid of the e-bike forum? k thanks!

mtbr member

Wink

I think the sub-forum structure could stand to be re-arranged. for example, you could combine the following pairs of potentially redundant sub-forums:

XC Racing and Training - Mtbr.com and Endurance XC Racing - Mtbr.com

Lights DIY - Do It Yourself - Mtbr.com and Lights and Night Riding - Mtbr.com

29er Bikes - Mtbr.com and 29er Components - Mtbr.com

Cyclocross - Mtbr.com and Gravel Bikes - Mtbr.com

do we need a separate forum for All Mountain - Mtbr.com

I know the gravel bike forum is still new, but the title of that forum could be "cyclocross and gravel"

and get rid of the e-bike forum.

I don't speak for everyone here, but those are mu suggestions.

Please add a mtb skills forum where people can discuss and critique one another's skills and technique. everyone can post embarrassing videos of themselves failing at being rad and give each other pointers.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBRadmin View Post
    Noted. If you have ideas for how to make the time you spend here better let me know.
    -Philip
    Read and address the backlog of issues in the site feedback forum

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post

Or at least rename it the human assisted motor bike forum...
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Contains no juice.
    Give the mods a raise.
    It's tremendously big, and tremendously wet.
    DJ Trump on Hurricane Florence

Jun 2018
    I think the sub-forum structure could stand to be re-arranged. for example, you could combine the following pairs of potentially redundant sub-forums:

I know the gravel bike forum is still new, but the title of that forum could be "cyclocross and gravel"

Please add a mtb skills forum where people can discuss and critique one another's skills and technique. everyone can post embarrassing videos of themselves failing at being rad and give each other pointers.
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    I brought up the skills forum with the mods. The ebike forum will not be removed, try to ignore it, that's what I try to do when I see them on the road. Cyclo-Cross and Gravel we can look at but it was always my understanding that one is competitive racing for those who think everything in life should be that much harder and Gravel cycling is more adventure sport that requires more time with your butt in the saddle than CX?

I will be taking a look a the flow of things with the mod team over the next few weeks and do appreciate everyone's feedback so please keep it coming.
    -Philip

Bikesexual
    My only 02cents ...beginner's corner should be at top of all forums, I think newbies will navigate the site better, instead of posting wherever.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    We don't know how strong we are, until being strong is the only choice..

Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Read and address the backlog of issues in the site feedback forum
    Will have a look, thanks! Anything in particular that you feel has been critical?

I will take that into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Give the mods a raise.
    Noted.

-Philip

Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    My only 02cents ...beginner's corner should be at top of all forums, I think newbies will navigate the site better, instead of posting wherever.

You can lead a new user to a new user forum but making them post there is not always so simple. You can report the post with a request to have it moved.
    -Philip

Stone Jack Baller
    Welcome, -Philip.

Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoker View Post
    Welcome, -Philip.
    Thanks!
    -Philip

mtbr member
    I don't ebike, don't race, don't wear lycra, don't race Enduro, don't have a 29er, +, and though I drink it, don't really care about beer.

I also don't advocate getting rid of ANY forum. Why would I? I don't have to read them, and no one else does either.

Jun 2018
    I need to install a LIKE button and get back to this.
    -Philip

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I don't ebike, don't race, don't wear lycra, don't race Enduro, don't have a 29er, +, and though I drink it, don't really care about beer.

I also don't advocate getting rid of ANY forum. Why would I? I don't have to read them, and no one else does either.

mtbr member
    I would lobby for the end of the "rep" system. I know a few forums where you can "thank" someone for a post and see how many "thanks" a post receives. there is no cheap option for negative feedback, so if you want to tell someone off, you need to do it directly. I like that.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

since 4/10/2009
    Will have a look, thanks! Anything in particular that you feel has been critical?
    By far, the spam.

And the ads that install malware.

Jun 2018
    By far, the spam.

And the ads that install malware.

Looking into both. Where you getting the mobile redirecting ads on mostly apple products?
    -Philip

since 4/10/2009
    I access the site via the tapatalk app on my android phone, and via google chrome on my windows pc. And I run tons of adblockers here for two reasons. First, the ads that install malware that have occasionally been an issue for YEARS which are the whole reason I started. Using adblockers, but also because the ads here are pervasive and detract from the user experience.
    Looking into both. Where you getting the mobile redirecting ads on mostly apple products?
    -Philip

mtbr member

Combine CX and Gravel? You heathen!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    It is the most contentious part of the site. You could get rid of ebikes and allow politics and religion and there would still be less bickering overall.

Oh, and can I get a raise?

Jun 2018
    I access the site via the tapatalk app on my android phone, and via google chrome on my windows pc. And I run tons of adblockers here for two reasons. First, the ads that install malware that have occasionally been an issue for YEARS which are the whole reason I started. Using adblockers, but also because the ads here are pervasive and detract from the user experience.
    I get 100% what you are saying. I was only clarifying if the site had been attacked by the recent popular mobile ad problem. It primarily attacked apple products using the safari browser and was on a number of online forums. Its been a nighmare to track down.
    -Philip

Jun 2018
    Next someone will be asking for a unicycling forum!
    -Philip

Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    Combine CX and Gravel? You heathen!

Bicycles aren't motorized

Name:  download (1).jpg
Views: 1818
Size:  7.9 KB
    You meet the craziest people riding e-bikes!

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

slow
    -Philip
    I have been getting redirects when using Chrome on my Android phone.

mtbr member
    I was an active participant on WaltherForums.com. Verticalscope acquired it and the primary result (other than having to change my password to a "strong" password) was a virtual bombardment of advertising. I haven't been on that site in about 3 years. It became an annoying mess.

since 4/10/2009
    Yippee. That thought had crossed my mind, if the new owners make things worse, i would be seriously reconsidering my participation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    I was an active participant on WaltherForums.com. Verticalscope acquired it and the primary result (other than having to change my password to a "strong" password) was a virtual bombardment of advertising. I haven't been on that site in about 3 years. It became an annoying mess.

mtbr member
    I am surprised to hear that a company who's sole income is based on advertising ruined a site with too much advertising.....

Are there plans afoot to turn this into a "pay to play" site? In part or wholly?

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Are there plans afoot to turn this into a "pay to play" site? In part or wholly?
    No. We don't ad pay to play to any site unless its requested by the community. This is the culture of some sites but if its not here now and the idea is not welcomed there is no reason for us to add anything that would require you to pay to use the site.
    -Philip

banned
    Jun 2018
    -Philip
    Can I have my original screen name back? Redhotrotor is my porn star name. I try not to mix too much business with pleasure. You sound like someone who might understand.

k. Thx!

Contains no juice.
    So, Philip. Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Congrats FC!

Ditto, welcome aboard Phillip and good to hear you’ll still be around FC.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Jun 2018
    This site is already wallpapered in advertising, I am not sure there is room for more.
    I am not aware of what ad bombardment happened on WaltherForums.com. That site would have always had ads, we acquired that way. As a rule we don't allow ads on our network to pop up, pop under or otherwise block you from viewing any content. If you where using tapatalk on the site the ads served by tapatalk are managed by them since you are using their platform to view the site. Now if you did get ads that popped up or redirected you its likley part of a problem that is internet wide and not just part of our network of sites. There has been an on going battle with ad networks and a series of re-occuring ads that would happen on mobile and try to redirect you to amazon or tell you that you won something. Despite the popular opinion on our network that we created this it was on a number of sites including multiple news sites.

-Philip

Jun 2018
    Will there be something for me in my PM box later?
    -Philip

So, Philip. Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

banned
    Jun 2018
    Can you adjust DJ's algorithm so it's a little less annoying?

TIA.

Jun 2018
    Send me a pm to remind me please.
    -Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Redhotrotor View Post
    Can I have my original screen name back? Redhotrotor is my porn star name. I try not to mix too much business with pleasure. You sound like someone who might understand.

k. Thx!

Will there be something for me in my PM box later?
    -Philip
    I’m surprised it took Finch 6 hours before he hit on you. Usually he’s on top of it a bit quicker.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Jun 2018
    You do not have enough rep points to make a request like that at this time, sorry.
    -Philip

TIA.

TIA.
    Excuse me, could you at least wait until I leave the room.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I would lobby for the end of the "rep" system. I know a few forums where you can "thank" someone for a post and see how many "thanks" a post receives. there is no cheap option for negative feedback, so if you want to tell someone off, you need to do it directly. I like that.
    THIS THIS THIS!!!!!!!!!!! Having a negative rep option is pointless.
    Eat Clean and Pedal More

www.eatcleanpedalmore.com

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I’m surprised it took Finch 6 hours before he hit on you. Usually he’s on top of it a bit quicker.
    Yeah? So where's a link to a Seinfeld sketch, huh?

Slacker.

banned
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Excuse me, could you at least wait until I leave the room.
    I really can't tell, cuz the smell. It lingers. lol!

banned
    Jun 2018
    You do not have enough rep points to make a request like that at this time, sorry.
    -Philip
    Yeah, it's a pretty tall order. But, you seem like someone who likes a challenge. lol!

mtbr member
    Delete the Gravel Bike forum. Give us a Skills forum.

Thanks.
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill

Jun 2018
    Name:  2cy5jh.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  72.5 KB

-Philip

Yeah, it's a pretty tall order. But, you seem like someone who likes a challenge. lol!

Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tealy View Post
    Delete the Gravel Bike forum. Give us a Skills forum.

Thanks.
    Skills forum has been proposed to the mod team. Gravel Bike for and the E-Bike forum are going to stay. You you may have to scroll past them really fast to try to ignore them.
    -Philip

Stone Jack Baller
    Quote Originally Posted by tealy View Post
    Delete the Gravel Bike forum.
    I don’t have, need, or want a gravel bike, but why should I care that there’s a gravel bike sub forum?

banned
    Jun 2018
    Name:  2cy5jh.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  72.5 KB

-Philip
    Is it because I'm not black?

Jun 2018
    I don’t have, need, or want a gravel bike, but why should I care that there’s a gravel bike sub forum?
    I nearly bought a pair of gravel bike tires for my commuter but only cause they looked like snake skin and had better road performance reviews than most of the other tires I looked at. So do more people here hate the gravel bike forum, the e-bike forum or the fat bike forum? I am trying to understand where most of you stand here.
    -Philip

Stone Jack Baller
    I nearly bought a pair of gravel bike tires for my commuter but only cause they looked like snake skin and had better road performance reviews than most of the other tires I looked at. So do more people here hate the gravel bike forum, the e-bike forum or the fat bike forum? I am trying to understand where most of you stand here.
    -Philip
    Just to be clear, I have no issues with gravel bikes. Just curious why someone would want that forum deleted.

Bikesexual
    Just to be clear, I have no issues with gravel bikes. Just curious why someone would want that forum deleted.
    It has been more active than the CX forum, but I'm with you, I just simply visit what I'm interested in.

We don't know how strong we are, until being strong is the only choice..

mtbr member
    Cool.
    Job#1
    Make it 10 billion times easier to post pics.
    Also, this site is full of bugs. It's a chore to type from my phone.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    E-Mopeds Forum

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Cool.
    Job#1
    Make it 10 billion times easier to post pics.
    Also, this site is full of bugs. It's a chore to type from my phone.
    Why is it hard for you to post pics?

Perma Bann tealy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Why is it hard for you to post pics?
    I think it's because I'm old.

How about a pic icon that brings me directly to my phone's gallery like every single other media site I use.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    This site is already wallpapered in advertising, I am not sure there is room for more.
    I am not aware of what ad bombardment happened on WaltherForums.com. That site would have always had ads, we acquired that way. As a rule we don't allow ads on our network to pop up, pop under or otherwise block you from viewing any content. If you where using tapatalk on the site the ads served by tapatalk are managed by them since you are using their platform to view the site. Now if you did get ads that popped up or redirected you its likley part of a problem that is internet wide and not just part of our network of sites. There has been an on going battle with ad networks and a series of re-occuring ads that would happen on mobile and try to redirect you to amazon or tell you that you won something. Despite the popular opinion on our network that we created this it was on a number of sites including multiple news sites.

-Philip
    What are these "ads" things that people are going on about?

Announcement: Mtbr has a new owner!-ads.png

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I think it's because I'm old.

How about a pic icon that brings me directly to my phone's gallery like every single other media site I use.
    Your reason doesn't jive. Because the mtbr way is the old way. The simpler pic icon method is the new hotness and SHOULD be the way you don't understand.

-Philip

Too many uptight members uptight about forums they don’t visit. Makes sense to me.

That’s why God created the scroll past technique.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post

I like that.

And we need to prune/delete a bunch of forums. We'll start another thread to dial it in with your recommendations.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I'm here for the humor, most of the time. Gotta say that this is the funniest thread I've read in a long time.

Oh, while you're making improvements, could you please try to offer spelling and punctuation help to those who need it? MTBRs are an illiterate group, except for the ladies. Somehow they seem more edumacated.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    shimano 12 speed discussions have been getting killed ? are you serious ?

holy moly if this is true.
    Well, no.

On occasion, when a manufacturer's website is hacked or very sensitive info/photos is leaked, we might attempt to delete photos and inform the poster.

That's rare though, cause once on the web, it's usually impossible for us to contain anyway.
    IPA will save America

SPECIALizED
    -Philip
    Make that MUNI cycling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Create a Thunderdome thread where you can post without being banned.

Bring back the banned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Welcome, Philip.

I'd like to suggest that singlespeeders be given special status and privileges. Everyone knows that singlespeeders are more knowledgeable and insightful, and, quite frankly, just better people in general. That should be rewarded here.

Cycologist
    -Philip
    E-bike is by far the most hated. If it's a forum about actual bicycles, most of us are ok with it. Folding bikes forum could just live within the Commuting forum, though.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodypalms View Post
    What are these "ads" things that people are going on about?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ads.PNG 
Views:	152 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	1205345
    The pop-up ads are everywhere Hairy Palms...please make them stop.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Overall it's a great forum. Deleting of some of the spy shots sucks, but I understand that you need to maintain relationships in order to get access.
    Keep Norcal rule free! It's my favorite corner of this forum and if there is pertinent info in there it's easy to search.

Pop up ads and malware on the phone needs attention.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Seriously, get the e-bike crap off the trailbuilding forum now.

It doesn't belong there and is distracting and divisive.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Overall it's a great forum. Deleting of some of the spy shots sucks, but I understand that you need to maintain relationships in order to get access.
    Keep Norcal rule free! It's my favorite corner of this forum and if there is pertinent info in there it's easy to search.

Pop up ads and malware on the phone needs attention.
    Oh yeah, Norcal should be about Norcal and not about things that belong in other forums.

No known cure
    Bring back Forum 88.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Welcome, Philip.

I'd like to suggest that singlespeeders be given special status and privileges. Everyone knows that singlespeeders are more knowledgeable and insightful, and, quite frankly, just better people in general. That should be rewarded here.
    This man is wise. Very wise.
    "The maturity of an 8 year-old boy coupled with the insecurity of a teen aged girl."

Elitest thrill junkie
    What about Pete.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bipolar roller
    The ebike forum will not be removed,

I will be taking a look a the flow of things with the mod team over the next few weeks and do appreciate everyone's feedback so please keep it coming.
    -Philip
    Getting rid of the ebike forum could reduce potential user hits for this site, so wouldn’t make any sense to get rid of it.... unfortunately

But, how about moving the ebike forum out from under the “Classic Mountain Bike” subforum and creating a new subforum just for ebikes like the “regional bike trails” and “mtb manufactures forums” have?

That way there could be specific sub forums under ebike forum like; factory built ebikes, diy ebikes, ebike specific components, ebike accessories, great legal ebike trails, ebike advocacy, ebike tuning, class 1 & 2, class 3, ebikes for ohv only, batteries & chargers, ebike motors, ebike programming and controllers, ebike computers, etc.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    Getting ride of the ebike forum could reduce potential user hits for this site, so wouldn’t make any sense to get ride of it.... unfortunately

But, how about moving the ebike forum out from under the “Classic Mountain Bike” subforum and creating a new subforum just for ebikes like the “regional bike trails” and “mtb manufactures forums” have?

That way there could be specific sub forums under ebike forum like; factory built ebikes, diy ebikes, ebike specific components, ebike accessories, great legal ebike trails, ebike advocacy, ebike tuning, class 1 & 2, class 3, ebikes for ohv only, batteries & chargers, ebike motors, ebike programming and controllers, ebike computers, etc.
    Makes sense.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    The pop-up ads are everywhere Hairy Palms...please make them stop.
    User error.

If folks can’t figure out how to easily block ads, including pop-ups, then they have nobody to blame but themselves.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What about Pete.
    Bring back all the troglodytes.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodypalms View Post
    User error.

If folks can’t figure out how to easily block ads, including pop-ups, then they have nobody to blame but themselves.
    Until large companies will require you to disable an ad blocker to use the site or pay for it.
    (Such as a large company like Clear Channel)

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa View Post
    Oh, while you're making improvements, could you please try to offer spelling and punctuation help to those who need it?
    Seriously. Though this is a bicycle forum, many (most?) don't seem to know the difference between "pedal" and "peddle." Tsk, tsk. This is just the tip... the iceberg is huge.

Welcome, Philip.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Instead of showing the time a post was made like, 1 hour ago............3 days ago...........1 week ago. Just show the date and time it actually happened..........6/27/18 12:31

mtbr member
    -Philip
    I would be rather surprised if we do not already have one.

I would caution against giving forum users what they ask for! Think of us like children who don't know what's good for them. Years ago I was on a Hi-Fi forum that took pride in the fact there was no moderation at all. No censorship of any kind. The guys who ran the forum thought it was a good idea, the users loved it, total disaster. It got to the point where you were afraid to log on as you didn't know what poison and vitriol you'd be faced with. The forum became legendary for all the wrong reasons and failed, hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Squirrel View Post
    Having a negative rep option is pointless.
    I'm not so sure. Relative to most other forums I've been on, and I've been on a lot, this place is very civilized and friendly. Perhaps the neg-rep function contributes to that by allowing people to hit back at someone without doing it in the public eye. I'm guessing, but considering how well balanced the forum is I would be reluctant to to make fundamental structure changes in a hurry. Things have probably ended up this way as much by accident as design but no matter, it's a good forum.

mtbr member
    Yeah, about that eBike forum. So it stays eh? Ok, I get that, but can't it maybe be invisible or something? You need a password to see it?

EAT MORE GRIME
    about ads

I would not ever use an ad blocker ads were not animated.

ads don't bother me if they are static. since everyone has to animate everything, I block everything, all sites. you have a web site that says 'we see you are using an ad blocker' I close the site immediately and go somewhere else.

why the F don't these marketing idiots get it ? ffs,
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    I block everything, all sites. you have a web site that says 'we see you are using an ad blocker' I close the site immediately and go somewhere else.
    A valid point. We have enough choices that we don't need to tolerate intrusive and excessive advertising. There is a car magazine site I used to visit all the time. There is now as much advertising as content and I no longer go there.

With so many social media options today, unless a pleasant user experience is provided people just won't stay.

mtbr member

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    E-bike is by far the most hated. If it's a forum about actual bicycles, most of us are ok with it. Folding bikes forum could just live within the Commuting forum, though.
    I dont' get how an e-bike forum causes a problem for you, or anyone. No matter how you access these forums, a separate forum for e-bikes (or unicycles, or gravel bikes, or whatever) gives you (and everyone) the option of just easily ignoring it. Don't click on it. Skip over it. The primary reason the e-bike forum gets contentious is that the outraged self-righteous "true" mountain bikers just can't restrain themselves from wading in to that forum that they hate SO much and off-topic rendering their angry disdain for the entire concept of e-bikes.

I have zero interest in gravel bikes, unicycles, trail building..probably MOST of the forums/threads here are of no interest to me or that I disagree with. I don't bother to whine about their existence on this website...I just don't click on posts there, or on any post with a thread title that doesn't interest me.

mtbr member
    Suggestions for New Forums:

Flats vs Clipless
    Spandex vs Baggies
    General Pissing and Moaning
    Why E-bikes are Bad
    Does Using Strava Make you an A-Hole?
    Trail Etiquette
    Mysterious Bike Noises
    Awesome Strap

Wait, maybe not a good idea - there'll be nothing left for General Discussion.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Cycologist
    Yesterday I was on some site with the most annoying ad I'd seen in a long time. It was for a grocery store and just s very quick loop of zooming in on some ice-cream then back out. It was so distracting having that going on in my peripheral vision that I couldn't read anything on the page.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Seriously. Though this is a bicycle forum, many (most?) don't seem to know the difference between "pedal" and "peddle." Tsk, tsk. This is just the tip... the iceberg is huge.

Welcome, Philip.
    =sParty
    Yeah, like everyone typing three periods instead of a proper ellipsis character (…)!

The spelling does drive me crazy but for some members, English is not their first language. So maybe make people state their first language when they register and have an algorithm that checks that when they post and give them a big red "F" if they spell bike components wrong. Or maybe don't.

mtbr member
    The primary reason the e-bike forum gets contentious is that the outraged self-righteous "true" mountain bikers just can't restrain themselves from wading in to that forum that they hate SO much and off-topic rendering their angry disdain for the entire concept of e-bikes.
    This is not a true representation of the facts.

It doesn't really matter why many bikers do not like eBikes, the fact is they don't. With the industry pushing them so hard, and forums being forced to play along, there is the possibility that a forum which took a stand against them might gain a lot of friends!

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Seriously. Though this is a bicycle forum, many (most?) don't seem to know the difference between "pedal" and "peddle."
    Come on, give 'em a brake.
    "Did you really think you could call up the Devil and ask him to behave?"
    — Fox Mulder, The X-Files

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    This is not a true representation of the facts.

It doesn't really matter why many bikers do not like eBikes, the fact is they don't. With the industry pushing them so hard, and forums being forced to play along, there is the possibility that a forum which took a stand against them might gain a lot of friends!
    So, you think that e-bikes are not going to become increasingly popular in the coming years? That a bicycle discussion website "taking a stand" against them wouldn't be cutting themselves off from a fast-growing segment of biking and actually lose a lot of friends? Nah. I think it makes a lot more sense to cater to all mountain bikers and just encourage the true believers to stay in their own lane.

mtbr member
    So, you think that e-bikes are not going to become increasingly popular in the coming years?
    Why are you trying to put words in my mouth? Where have I suggested I believe any such thing?

The fact that cycling has historically always been a human-powered endeavor is fundamental to its appeal. Motorized activities have fans too but I believe the difference between the two is critical enough that they do not belong in the same forum.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast