Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    ^^ Tx rat snake

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Rolling along the trail, minding my business, when from nowhere, something flashes by from above and to my left. I just caught it in my peripheral vision and initially, I thought a limb from a tree had fallen from above. I stopped and turned around on the trail to see this (roughly) 6 foot long snake in the lower branches of the tree I just brushed by. HOLY SH!T! A bull snake perhaps?

Sorry for the picture quality (blur), but this snake was trying desperately to get away from me as I took these few images.

Attachment 1033755

Attachment 1033757
    LOL
    I can see why you were startled. Where was this? That's no Bullsnake.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang 21 View Post
    ^^ Tx rat snake
    Where and when? Is that BCGB? Def looks rat snake-ish. Plus rat snakes grow long and don't mind climbing trees. Snaky snake must not have gotten the memo that s/he should be asleep right now. I'm going to do my best to forget I ever saw those photos.
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Holy crap, I had my best animal experience on the trail today. I rounded a corner and had a huge golden eagle fly from a juniper right in front of my face, maybe ten or fifteen feet away and ten feet of the ground. It had at least a six foot wingspan, maybe even seven, and might have been the biggest eagle i've ever seen. I stood there in awe and watched it fly away for a couple of minutes, just basking in it's awesomeness.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ I've never had that experience with an Eagle, but I have with a Great Horned Owl. Very cool opportunity!
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    That sir is awesome!
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

The White Jeff W
    Saw this owl while out on a ride this afternoon

animal encounters-owl.jpg
    No moss...

Magically Delicious
    Rewind...This a my encounter that I posted here about a year ago...

I had a bizarre encounter with a possum several weeks ago. Most of you know what a possum looks like. But to me, they remind me of an overgrown Halloweenish, diseased and scary albino rat.

As I'm riding along I look to my left and I see a possum scurrying pretty fast on a diagonal line towards me in my direction of flow along an open, grassy area (Think about driving along a frontage road with a freeway on your left and the possum is exiting the freeway and approaching the frontage road that you're driving along.)

So this possum comes along to my immediate left and is now slightly ahead of me and running at my speed just to the left and parallel to the trail. As I'm watching him I stop pedaling as if to evaluate if he will past in front and across my path when he turns hard right across my path and he almost makes it across in front of me, but I run over its tail. This is all happening about 10 mph or so.

As I'm riding over its tail, it immediately (speed of light)) curls up and attacks the wheel and tire. (Now you have to picture this in your mind and grasp just how fast this takes place while I'm rolling along) The rotation of the front wheel immediately flings the pissed possum up off the front wheel and lands onto my right leg just below the knee. (again, think at the speed of light [joking] how quickly this takes place) Now my adrenaline instantly spikes into the stratosphere as this hissing, flinging, pissed off animal is clamoring for a purchase of my leg or anything it can get with teeth or claws into.

Without hesitation or any conscious thought, my leg and foot are out of the clips and as if punting a football I am ejecting this creature into space. There it goes about twenty feet to my forward right and it happened so fast that I pull to a stop and look around as if thinking "did that really just happen?"

It must have happened and I'm in cardio/adrenaline over-drive as I'm looking in the direction of where the recently ejected possum landed. I don't know how freaked out that possum was, but I can assure you that I was freaked out. I've never had an encounter like that before. And, seriously hope to not have another.

banned
    I'm just wondering why all the brown salamanders are walking to the right side of the trail in the morning...

rebmem rbtm
    I had a bizarre encounter with a possum several weeks ago. Most of you know what a possum looks like. But to me, they remind me of an overgrown Halloweenish, diseased and scary albino rat.
    Damn this made me laugh

Bikesexual
    Rewind...This a my encounter that I posted here about a year ago...

As I'm riding along I look to my left and I see a possum scurrying pretty fast on a diagonal line towards me in my direction of flow along an open, grassy area (Think about driving along a frontage road with a freeway on your left and the possum is exiting the freeway and approaching the frontage road that you're driving along.)

So this possum comes along to my immediate left and is now slightly ahead of me and running at my speed just to the left and parallel to the trail. As I'm watching him I stop pedaling as if to evaluate if he will past in front and across my path when he turns hard right across my path and he almost makes it across in front of me, but I run over its tail. This is all happening about 10 mph or so.

As I'm riding over its tail, it immediately (speed of light)) curls up and attacks the wheel and tire. (Now you have to picture this in your mind and grasp just how fast this takes place while I'm rolling along) The rotation of the front wheel immediately flings the pissed possum up off the front wheel and lands onto my right leg just below the knee. (again, think at the speed of light [joking] how quickly this takes place) Now my adrenaline instantly spikes into the stratosphere as this hissing, flinging, pissed off animal is clamoring for a purchase of my leg or anything it can get with teeth or claws into.

Without hesitation or any conscious thought, my leg and foot are out of the clips and as if punting a football I am ejecting this creature into space. There it goes about twenty feet to my forward right and it happened so fast that I pull to a stop and look around as if thinking "did that really just happen?"

It must have happened and I'm in cardio/adrenaline over-drive as I'm looking in the direction of where the recently ejected possum landed. I don't know how freaked out that possum was, but I can assure you that I was freaked out. I've never had an encounter like that before. And, seriously hope to not have another.
    Oh man you handled that like a champ! Possums? I rather deal with just about any other creature than a Possum. They are disgusting! My Dalmatian grabbed one from the bushes one time and lucky it was a baby one, but man those things are the worst!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

EMBA Member
    The rotation of the front wheel immediately flings the pissed possum up off the front wheel and lands onto my right leg just below the knee.
    C2L, kind of like this?

Magically Delicious
    Not exactly...that creature (what ever that is) on that video was FAR more sedate than the one that latched on to my leg. It was a moment of awakening for me, quite unlike that lady. I was thrust into adrenaline overdrive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Was coming back from a late night ride, nearly home. There is a railroad underpass, that allows you to go out to the trail. This was waiting for me as I was on my way out- Palestinian viper.

animal encounters-snake.jpg

Dusting Trails
    I came across a large Coyote that was stalking five Wild Turkeys and didn't want to move. I got about fifty feet from him before he finally moved on.

animal encounters-image.jpg

I encountered a Cougar once who had downed 5 Wild Turkeys. She scared me clean out of that bar.

Dusting Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I encountered a Cougar once who had downed 5 Wild Turkeys. She scared me clean out of that bar.
    But did you bag her????

Quote Originally Posted by matuchi View Post
    But did you bag her????
    Nope, that's not part of running out of the bar.

mtbr member
    animal encounters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails animal encounters-20160326_152647.jpg  

"although motorcycle riding is romantic,motorcycle maintenance is purely classic"

Quote Originally Posted by bike snob View Post
    animal encounters
    Most people would think that's a snake when actually it's a legless lizard.

It's called a "Glass Lizard".
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    After a nice ride, I get back to the parking lot, and start loading my bike on the rack. Suddenly, I hear a wild turkey. I look behind me, and this SOB begins to charge towards me from across the parking lot. I run into my truck, and begins to nip at my front wheel. Then he did the same to the car parked next to me. Until he just got bored, and walked away into the woods.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails animal encounters-img_1341.jpg  

Magically Delicious
    Fear the Turkey.

Give'er!
    I counted 19! 19 deer tonight! Ah! ah..ah..
    animal encounters-sesame_count.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Possum is A-1 viper killer!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I was out on a solo night ride last autumn when I noticed a bat flying along with me just on the edge of my light cone. I glanced up and realized that he was not alone, there was an entire colony of what must have been over a dozen cruising along the trail with me. They tagged along for a couple hundred meters or so then dispersed into the woods. I also saw several deer and one porcupine that had not a care in the world that night, and heard a coywolf howling deeper in the woods. It was an awesome ride, I felt so fortunate to be sharing the forest with all of that wildlife that night.

Fear the Turkey.
    LOL
    Turkey Trot.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    LOL
    Turkey Trot.
    Chase them or they'll chase you

animal encounters-screen-shot-2015-11-19-9.46.32-am.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member

animal encounters

nothing like bombing down this trail come around this bend to bunny hop this sucker! No lie, no joke, right over heras he was stretched out moving across the trail hopped right over her, hit the brakes to go see what the hell I just hopped. Then realized how freaking cool it was!

Cannnnn youuuu diiig iiiiiit !

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ That rates!

^^^ That rates!
    Yes, and that's a great photo.

mtbr member
    animal encounters-image1460620638.534093.jpg heading up a hill and came across this guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Turtle!

animal encounters-gopr0251.jpg
    Found this turtle riding yesterday right in the middle of the trail. Probably around a 9 inch snapper. Didn't seem to excited about the picture haha.
    BTW: Was wearing a helmet just took the picture with my gopro mounted on the helmet.

mtbr member
    Ran over a 18 inch pacific rattler and the guy behind me hit him also , he was trying to coil when i hit it ...scary

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have encountered several Moose, Coyote, and black bears so far this season. I saw a Cougar last fall. I am a country boy so they don't bother me at all. But I really don't need to see any more pictures of snakes thank you very much.

mtbr member
    Rattler last week, but a deer a few months ago..scared the crap outta me..6 prong..thing was just on trail..almost went OTB..

Magically Delicious
    We have rattlesnakes, but I have never encountered one while riding. However, I have seen copperheads along the trail with some limited regularity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    I have encountered several Moose, Coyote, and black bears so far this season. I saw a Cougar last fall. I am a country boy so they don't bother me at all. But I really don't need to see any more pictures of snakes thank you very much.
    Ditto!
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

~*~*~*~*~
    Very free range chickens - the nearest house was a good 200 yards away.
    animal encounters-image.jpg

Magically Delicious
    Them's trail chickens...not yard birds.

Candlestick Maker
    That chicken would crack me up.

Looks like a brave buff orpington. Our's free range, but I'd say 50 yards at the most.
    baker

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Met these guys a week or so ago. They were less than 100' off the trail just hanging out I stopped got some pics then pushed my bike out of the area as not to disturb them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I saw 3 snakes today, but none of them
    could kill you.

banned

animal encounters

This litter guy crossing the road.

mtbr member
    Sometimes I park on a dirt road filled with potholes, the old stone jailhouses for the drunk migrant workers back in the day, that are now covered with gang graffiti, signs that say not thru traffic. It is in the middle of nowhere, I park my car where there is room for two cars, people dump brush and other litter there. I really do not like to park there, it is kind of spooky and I figure someone could sabotage my car and no one would ever see or hear them.

I went there yesterday and there is this babe laying on the top of her Mercedes SUV sunbathing and blasting rock music. She turned off her music and I talked to her for a little bit. I told my wife I would take me some time to recover from this(which is a really stupid thing to tell my wife). My wife asked me if she was good looking-I told her it did not matter she could have been ugly enough to curdle milk and I still may never recover from this.
    How am I supposed to pick a line through this.

mtbr member
    Turkey chase yesterday, in what is starting to become a routine.

Then it cleared a steep downhill section by running down it so fast that it put me to shame.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    This is not a riding encounter, it's a work encounter, but it is an encounter, nonetheless.

Legal disclosure: No lizards were harmed during the course of the photo shoot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails animal encounters-wp_20160420_10_52_22_pro.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    This is not a riding encounter, it's a work encounter, but it is an encounter, nonetheless.

Legal disclosure: No lizards were harmed during the course of the photo shoot.
    Looks like you are in a parking lot. Is that a lot lizard? I was wondering if I had just run across one of those the other day.

Name:  No Lot Lizards.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  21.6 KB
    How am I supposed to pick a line through this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ is this a new type of poser?

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    ^ is this a new type of poser?
    Smells like it, huh?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sure does.

dw22107
    Jan 2008
    Lots of wild life this past week. Can never get any pictures on the bike, they are usually gone by the time I stop. This week I saw 2 bears, Cat(didn't see a tail and it was out of there pretty quick) I think it was a mountain lion instead of bobcat. The picture of the bear is from yesterday when i was working from home. He may have been swimming or drinking at the creek/pond on the gold course below me. Coyote was at dusk, looking for the little fawns, house pets, rabbits or squirrels.animal encounters-040716-001.jpganimal encounters-041816-223.jpganimal encounters-041816-219.jpg

searchin for Animal Chin
    Almost ran over this guy on the trail today. It just stayed there, I thought it was dead til I saw it flicking it's tongue. Gopher snake right?

some weird crazed desert dweller.

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Almost ran over this guy on the trail today. It just stayed there, I thought it was dead til I saw it flicking it's tongue. Gopher snake right?

Yep, a Gopher Snake.

9 lives
    Coywolf? Direwolf? Werewolf?

animal encounters-13119782_1757511631159947_6879595427453501886_o.jpg

5.10 for scale
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Dog

Magically Delicious
    dog

Magically Delicious
    or, chupacabra

9 lives
    I think that "dog" needs a pedicure
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

This western prairie rattler was pretty irked that we disturbed his trail side nap

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I used to live in the desert where we sometimes saw rattlesnakes while riding. One evening I was in a wooded area near a river and slammed my brakes few away from a skunk that raised its rear at me. I thought that if I had been sprayed by a skunk, I would have called in sick the next day and told them I had been bitten by a rattlesnake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    animal encounters-ek000353.jpg
    trail cam shot, but I do peddle to where I hike up to the camera.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    cycle
    not big enough to be a wolf.

mtbr member
    kitty, kitty, kitty
    Wonderful shot.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    animal encounters-turtle.jpg
    He was comin' right at me, think I'll start packin' heat...just in case

mtbr member
    We had a close call last night with this guy.
    animal encounters-img_0873.jpg

He went after my buddy's bike

animal encounters-img_0874.jpg

animal encounters-img_0875.jpg

Then after my buddy!!!
    animal encounters-img_0876.jpg

Because we all stayed calm no one was hurt and he went on his way.

animal encounters-img_0877.jpg

I know many of you will say that snake is not even venomous and you are right but it is a member of the constrictor family and I have seen a constrictor fighting an alligator on YouTube. So we all need to be careful out there.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    We had a close call last night with this guy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0873.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	492.4 KB 
ID:	1073844

He went after my buddy's bike

Name:	IMG_0874.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	395.6 KB 
ID:	1073845

Name:	IMG_0875.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	406.1 KB 
ID:	1073846

Then after my buddy!!!

Name:	IMG_0876.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	411.6 KB 
ID:	1073848

Because we all stayed calm no one was hurt and he went on his way.

Name:	IMG_0877.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	399.8 KB 
ID:	1073849

I know many of you will say that snake is not even venomous and you are right but it is a member of the constrictor family and I have seen a constrictor fighting an alligator on YouTube. So we all need to be careful out there.
    That there my friend is a docile Rosy Boa.

mtbr member
    DOCILE? Did you notice he went staight for the BLOOD red shoe?

This is a boa also btw

animal encounters-maxresdefault.jpg

RAKC
    He didn't attack that shoe, he was just investigating the heat source he was sensing.

Loving the snake pics here, sadly I haven't seen anything good in over 2 yrs. Baby garters is about it. My biggest threat lately has just been skunks or hitting a raccoon

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

DOCILE? Did you notice he went staight for the BLOOD red shoe?

This is a boa also btw

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	1073945
    That's Rosys distant cousin 6 times removed and living in South America. Some of his friends have escaped to Florida to be with Rosy but haven't made it much further than the Everglades.

mtbr member
    Sorry I am not a herpetologist like you two. I know what I saw and I saw this constrictor snake attempt to subdue my buddy's bike and then head after my buddy, or at least the blood red shoe. May need to find a new riding area or have my buddy change the color of his shoes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I would get rid of any friends who attracted snakes like that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    animal encounters-rattler.jpg

Near some of the local trails =0

Quote Originally Posted by andersonsmog View Post

Name:	rattler.jpg 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	1074031

That is a grand daddy of a Northern Pacific Rattlesnake. As big as they get.

Sorry I am not a herpetologist like you two. I know what I saw and I saw this constrictor snake attempt to subdue my buddy's bike and then head after my buddy, or at least the blood red shoe. May need to find a new riding area or have my buddy change the color of his shoes.

And I think I'm the only one here that knew you were just joking this whole time. You know your snakes and you know that a Rosy Boa is docile. Yet you played these guys like a fiddle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andersonsmog View Post

Name:	rattler.jpg 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	1074031

HOLY CRAP!! That is about 6ft long!!
    Definitely finding a new riding area!!!

HOLY CRAP!! That is about 6ft long!!
    Definitely finding a new riding area!!!
    Don't sweat it. Only one in a million make it to that size with all the yahoos out there that kill rattlesnakes due to ignorance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have been bluff charged by grizzlies, stalked by mountain lions, chased off more black bears than I can think of. The predators of the animal kingdom in north American do not bother me, but fock those snakes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    4 black bears on today's ride, 1 with two cubs, then another that I came upon that was running down the trail, presumably alerted by my bell and running to get out of the way. Man, bell is sooo worth it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    I have been bluff charged by grizzlies, stalked by mountain lions, chased off more black bears than I can think of. The predators of the animal kingdom in north American do not bother me, but fock those snakes.
    I am with you. Bears,moose or cougars (4 legs or 2) don't bother me but those dam snakes..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    I am with you. Bears,moose or cougars (4 legs or 2) don't bother me but those dam snakes..

I'm the opposite, all the dangerous snakes I've met here in the SW deserts have given me plenty of fair warning and wanted nothing more than a bit of space between us. Bears on the other hand are often a lot bigger than me and also a sometimes unpredictable predator. Haven't seen any lions but if I do I hope it's from a distance.

I'll take my chances with snakes.

loud hubs save lives
    Always see deer, a fox occasionally, saw a black bear once in Pisgah running up the trail away from me, a lot of box turtles

I hate unexpectedly riding up on snakes. Usually they're just black snakes but occasionally in NC I've seen timber rattlesnake and copperheads are very common.

Saw this angry ass snapping turtle on the last ride .. He wasn't moving for anyone:

Elitest thrill junkie
    Don't care about snakes, they generally want NOTHING to do with you.

Mosquitoes and biting flies on the other hand...they want EVERYTHING to do with you.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

I love all critters and enjoy all sightings, ^ except flying biting insects. Mosquitoes love me for some reason.

The main reason I can't wear a GoPro helmet cam. I love critters so much I'm constantly scanning my surrounding while I ride for any critter. Anyone viewing the footage would get a whiplash.

Nice Snapper and bear sightings. ^

My last Snapper sighting wasn't while riding but rather I saw a lady pointing at a very large one in her front yard. I pulled over and warned her to stand back. I then caught the turtle and put her in the bed of my truck. The plan was to drive her to the pond she wandered away from a street over. As I was driving I could hear her scratching around back there. Just as I looked in my right side mirror I noticed her climbing out. I made it to the shoulder just in time as she tumbled out onto the dirt. I caught her again and drove a short distance to the pond and released her.

I say "her" because the female Snapping Turtles wander quite aways away from their pond in the spring to dig a burrow and lay their eggs. obviously that's what she was doing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Lots of encounters over the years, nothing as dramatic as bear and such. But plenty of fox, coyote, snakes, deer, etc. almost ran over a good sized copperhead that was stretched across the trail. I thought is was a stick. another time, a good sized 6 point buck was blocking the trail and wouldn't let me pass. i got off the bike and he started snorting and pawing the ground with his hoof. We had a staring contest for about 5 minutes until i just decides to turn around and go back the way i came.

Love 2 Ride; Ride 2 Live
    I just barely avoided running this guy over today on the trail. Photographed him and nudged him with a really, really long stick to get him to move off the trail!

animal encounters-rat-snake.jpg
    • Started riding on 05/01/16 •
    • Riding a heavily upgraded Trek Marlin 5 29er •

Quote Originally Posted by MASC1104 View Post
    Lots of encounters over the years, nothing as dramatic as bear and such. But plenty of fox, coyote, snakes, deer, etc. almost ran over a good sized copperhead that was stretched across the trail. I thought is was a stick. another time, a good sized 6 point buck was blocking the trail and wouldn't let me pass. i got off the bike and he started snorting and pawing the ground with his hoof. We had a staring contest for about 5 minutes until i just decides to turn around and go back the way i came.
    You backed down from a deer?

Oh dear!

Elitest thrill junkie
    3 more bears today.

I'm reaching critical mass here..

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    3 more bears today.

I'm reaching critical mass here..
    Is this around or near Lake Tahoe?

mtbr member
    Saw these guys on my ride today waited for them to wander off the ttail and waited a bit more, when i rode by where they went off surprise they were still right off the side all 4 stood up and watched as i passed

animal encounters-image.jpeganimal encounters-image.jpeganimal encounters-image.jpeg
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

Bikesexual
    ^^ now that's an animal encounter awesome and scary.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    May 2016

here's a nice little fella i ran into the other day

animal encounters-img_3259.jpg

local trails rider
    That reminds me: I saw a viper crossing a dirt road, a couple of weeks ago. Didn't look very large.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    I was riding through this tall grass last week, and I was worried about getting bit by a snake. I couldn't see much of anything beneath my pedals, apart from the tiny dirt path. I thought maybe I should have turned around but, then I accused myself of wimping out - so I kept riding. Do any of you carry a snake-bite antidote or does such a thing exist?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails animal encounters-img_0076.jpg  

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    I was riding through this tall grass last week, and I was worried about getting bit by a snake. I couldn't see much of anything beneath my pedals, apart from the tiny dirt path. I thought maybe I should have turned around but, then I accused myself of wimping out - so I kept riding. Do any of you carry a snake-bite antidote or does such a thing exist?
    I've never been too concerned about snake bites as long as I'm on the bike. We have plenty of rattlesnakes, copperheads and water moccasins.

Just ride.

Magically Delicious
    I love all critters and enjoy all sightings, ^ except flying biting insects. Mosquitoes love me for some reason.

The main reason I can't wear a GoPro helmet cam. I love critters so much I'm constantly scanning my surrounding while I ride for any critter. Anyone viewing the footage would get a whiplash.

Nice Snapper and bear sightings. ^

My last Snapper sighting wasn't while riding but rather I saw a lady pointing at a very large one in her front yard. I pulled over and warned her to stand back. I then caught the turtle and put her in the bed of my truck. The plan was to drive her to the pond she wandered away from a street over. As I was driving I could hear her scratching around back there. Just as I looked in my right side mirror I noticed her climbing out. I made it to the shoulder just in time as she tumbled out onto the dirt. I caught her again and drove a short distance to the pond and released her.

I say "her" because the female Snapping Turtles wander quite aways away from their pond in the spring to dig a burrow and lay their eggs. obviously that's what she was doing.

That's a really good find DJ. Damn big one too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    Tall grass? 😂

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    I guess the grass looks pretty short in the photo for some reason. The grass came up above my pedals and I couldn't see anything though.

Here's another photo in the same area - yes, there was an active fire range nearby - probably more dangerous than the snakes.

animal encounters-img_0074.jpg
    Last edited by BCTJ; 06-08-2016 at 11:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Oh just bustin' it's all relative. Grass and overgrowth get's pretty ridiculous here in the spring, but I'm sure it's worse in other places.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

9 lives
    Spotted a salamander on our hike

animal encounters-l1040967.jpg

animal encounters-l1040971.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Maaaaan
    You guys found a Red Spotted Newt in it's "Eft" stage Judy.
    Despite the article mentioning Virginia, they are found all over Eastern North America.

Red-spotted Newt/Red Eft
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast