Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1325
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    They are absolutely vicious in the winter.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    A herd of Bighorn rumps. All females [Ewes] and babies [lambs].

animal encounters-6d75edf2-74c8-4a24-947a-cff7a1ff330c.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    DJ, sure looks like the Bighorns are doing well in your part of the state, based on all of your sightings. But I saw this article that paints a different picture for the herds down by Durango, apparently wild sheep and domestic sheep don't mix well together. Hope they can do something to help the situation.

https://www.hcn.org/issues/50.15/wil...ife-management

Quote Originally Posted by Jing View Post
    DJ, sure looks like the Bighorns are doing well in your part of the state, based on all of your sightings. But I saw this article that paints a different picture for the herds down by Durango, apparently wild sheep and domestic sheep don't mix well together. Hope they can do something to help the situation.

Wow, Iíve heard of that but didnít know it was at that point down south. Hope they can figure out how to prevent it other than keeping them apart. And yes I can take a drive no more than a 1/2 an hour from home and almost be guaranteed to see some. You have to know where to look though. Most people drive right by oblivious to them, they blend in so good with the rocky cliffs. I know where their favorite areas to hang and can almost always see some.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

I posted this in another thread a couple of days ago. On Sunday I came across this poor old dude injured. Pretty sure he was hit by a vehicle although it is possible he was wounded from battling another big ram. His injuries were more consistent with vehicle trauma. His front legs looked injured. When I watched him he was definitely dazed and didnít move more than 10í and then lay down. Thereís nothing I could do. No cell reception for at least another 1/2 an hour. I should have called Fish and Game once I got reception but hoped for the best and that he healed on his own. They would have put him down. Close to dark I doubt they would have located him. Iím pretty upset that I didnít call. Pretty sad sight to see such a majestic critter make it to such an old age and end up like this. Hope he made it.

animal encounters-44c5da44-9640-4e3c-b933-78665f166679.jpg

animal encounters-411d1ff2-c6cd-433a-8d63-7de2ee1f4306.jpg

Magically Delicious

Came across these Pronghorns...

Came across these Pronghorns on a northern New Mexico ride near the Colorado border just around 10,000 ft.

animal encounters-img_5048-001-cr-002.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

And thatís a very healthy size buck. The spread and length are huge. I see hundreds of them north and east of me. Problem is, I never go that way because itís the flat land Prairie. I head west to the mountains where they are not. Great shot by the way.

C2L, Iím glad you found this thread over here in General. Apparently itís not passionate enough for Passion. I know youíre a regular in here.

Magically Delicious
    Thanks for the kind words.

I agree, these guys are often spotted on open glass lands, but this isn't flat, prairie land. These images are taken in the southern San Juan's a few weeks ago. I was on this upper ridge just slightly over 10,000 ft. looking down on this small group. They were about 100 to 150 yards down hill and upwind from me, so I was offered a rare advantage. The opportunity of getting a good, extended observation at these guys within reasonably close range is a real treat.

While getting a look at them from a considerable distance is common; getting close is not as common. These guys are always on high-alert and are skittish and quick to depart the scene with the slightest scent or visual threat. And, pronghorn's are the fastest animals in North America, capable at running of speeds up to 65 miles per hour.

Some other interesting facts are that the pronghorn is a unique North American mammal. Its Latin name, Antilocapra americana, means "American goat-antelope," but it is not a member of the goat or the antelope family and it is not related to the antelopes found in Africa. The pronghorn is the only surviving member of the Antilocapridae family and it has been in North America for over a million years.

This is the grassy slope where they were spotted...

animal encounters-img_5049-i.jpg

animal encounters-img_5050-ii.jpg

I didnít know this until a few years ago but Pronghorn migrate across mountain ranges. Something else strange about them I found out years ago when I hunted them. When a herd comes running up on a barbwire fence they all stop. The leader goes under the fence and the rest go under in the exact same spot. They stand and wait their turn. Instead of jumping over which they could easily do or going under anywhere they wait patiently to go under in the designated spot, weird!

https://northamerica.wcs.org/Wild-Pl...tion-Path.aspx

Edit: C2L, Iíve witnessed Pronghorn at full speed 65 MPH. Actually lends itself to my half story above when I witnessed a herd come up to a barbwire fence at full speed. They hit the brakes and went single file under the fence. Leading up to that sight: Iím 17 years old in 1978 and on my first antelope hunt in Wyoming with my dad. We 4x4'd in on the desolate prairie in his 77 Jeep Wrangler CJĖ7. Before sun up he drops me off on the prairie and drives a mile or so away to his spot.

Iím laying down in the 1í tall grass as the sun is coming up. Glassing [binoculars] back and forth across the prairie which seemed like for hours. I suspect it was about 1/2 an hour after first light. I hear a shot and glass about 200 yards slightly to my left I see a herd and full speed angling towards me. Another shot and they change directions now they are headed straight at me. I drop the binoculars and pull up my rifle. Iím now laying on the prairie floor with my scope on the herd. A big buck like what you photographed was leading the herd. I was trying to get a bead on him for a shot. Things were happening so fast I couldnít even explain. As Iím shaking and the herd is moving at 65 MPH towards me in a cloud of dust. I suddenly feel the earth below be rumbling. I then relalize what I'm feeling. The herd is so close now the earth is vibrating beneath me. At that split second of realization I moved my head away from the rifle scope and looked to see how close they were. So close maybe 100í out I panicked and sat up, just in time before being trampled they saw me sit up, dispersing around me in all directions. Iím trembling and dust flying everywhere the 50 plus size herd went around me so fast and down a hill behind me. They then bunched up against a barbwire fence. By the time I got it together to realize what was going on, the BIG lead buck was already under the fence and on the other side. I knew it was private property over there and I couldnít shoot. So I quickly started scoping the herd for another buck as they were bolting single file under the fence at lightening speed. I saw another good size buck in the middle of the bunch. I realized they were all going under the fence in the same spot. I put my scope on the ones going under waiting for the bucks turn. As he came up and was about to go under I got him in my crosshairs and shot. He dropped, but just a split second later I heard another shot. All the remaining antelope ran off and went under in other areas, everything calmed down, dust settled.

I walked down the hill about a 50 yard shot. As Iím walking down I see orange off in the distance coming my way. I realized another hunter was coming towards me, we arrived at the antelope about the same time. It was an elderly man in his 70ís and he immediately started yelling at me [I'm 17 years old at the time] ďthatís my killĒ. Heís screaming at me. I argued back for a few seconds knowing I was the one who dropped him. At that moment I realized the antelope wasnít dead yet. I yelled back at the man to just take him, just put him out of his misery. Which he did and I walked off in disgust. My dad heard all the shooting and came rolling up in the Jeep. I had already walked a good 100 yards away from the scene by that time. He picked me up and here I was quite shaken up. I told the story to my dad. My dad wanted to go back to claim my kill but I insisted to let it be. He realized it wasn't a good idea and we left.

I hunted for years prior but that event pretty much turned me off of the sport. I quit big game hunting several years after that. I consider myself lucky to have survived not being trampled by the herd, unbelievable how fast they can close the gap at full speed. Take the kill out of that event and it was a once in a lifetime experience.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 1 Week Ago at 11:12 PM.

Some more critter sightings today. At one point I was within 30í of this big dude. Also saw several Mule Deer and a flock of Wild Turkeys.

animal encounters-6f629f28-a8b7-45b1-8892-55dae63bb663.jpg

animal encounters-b4685da8-32ad-4bbf-a2b0-0e2119647e1a.jpg

animal encounters-8042a372-dacb-4e99-b3dd-5d8d1e4554ff.jpg

animal encounters-150e2332-a2db-42f9-8b9d-8af5723c1b3b.jpg

Iíve been studying the Bighorn I saw the other day one post up to the one that I saw last week that got hit by a car, several posts up. Seen in the same general area Iím wondering if itís the same one and he survived. Any opinions?

Magically Delicious
    That Bighorn is a big guy.

Magically Delicious

A close encounter with a Grisly...

Not my encounter, but this guy prolly needed to change his shorts afterwards.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Jeez, it didn't even glance at him!

Bikesexual
    Wow! That's awesome! I would be in the water!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jing View Post

at one time I was a addicted to sheep hunting as any many alive. Holy shit it gets into you and doesn't let go. With that said, wild sheep and domestic sheep can not mix at all. it is death to wild sheep. Pnuemonia just kills the wild sheep. This is actually happening anywhere the 2 can mix. Some of the forest service meetings can get pretty heated between the ranchers and the sheep nuts.
    there are a couple of organizations that are trying to stop this, but we need ranching and we need wild sheep.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I did run into a bull elk on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    That Bighorn is a big guy.
    Yep, pretty sure heís the biggest bodied Bighorn Iíve ever seen.

That bear video is amazing. He should of went out and bought a lottery ticket after that encounter.

mtbr member
    animal encounters-img_1745.jpg

Upcyclist
    Name:  got nuts1.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  119.9 KB
    Cool heads prevail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Name:  got nuts1.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  119.9 KB
    I like it! Will put it on the blog.

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    I like it! Will put it on the blog.
    I'll allow it.
    Cool heads prevail

animal encounters-9c07eb31-77f9-4694-851b-d9eda297eba4.jpeg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9C07EB31-77F9-4694-851B-D9EDA297EBA4.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	562.2 KB 
ID:	1221503

Cycologist
    animal encounters-squirrel.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314