Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,413

    New question here. Am I over-pricing this bike?

    I've decided to sell my Gravity 29er SS, for one I don't ride too often, I'm not fit/crazy enough for SS but it was fun trying it out. (no regrets)

    The bike is $350.00 new.

    I spent just under $200.00 in upgrades, 780mm bars (comes with like 580mm) grips/ Race Face Chesters/bottle cage (cheap one) and the saddle was from another bike.

    I posted on CL for $500.00 firm - the bike has 40miles on it, and its ready to ride.

    I don't feel like, putting it back to stock form, and then having to sell the upgrades separate.


    Am I being too optimistic? Thoughts?
    just get a bike and ride!

  2. #2
    Bicycles aren't motorized
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,512
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I've decided to sell my Gravity 29er SS, for one I don't ride too often, I'm not fit/crazy enough for SS but it was fun trying it out. (no regrets)

    The bike is $350.00 new.

    I spent just under $200.00 in upgrades, 780mm bars (comes with like 580mm) grips/ Race Face Chesters/bottle cage (cheap one) and the saddle was from another bike.

    I posted on CL for $500.00 firm - the bike has 40miles on it, and its ready to ride.

    I don't feel like, putting it back to stock form, and then having to sell the upgrades separate.


    Am I being too optimistic? Thoughts?



    Depends on what the used bike market is like in your area.
    Quote Originally Posted by me;
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.

  3. #3
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,232
    I'm afraid you're being too optimistic. I think you'd be better off putting the original components on it and asking $285 and taking $250.
    Maybe you could add into the ad the upgrades as options offered with purchase of the bike (for additional cost).
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

  4. #4
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,413
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Depends on what the used bike market is like in your area.
    Yeah, you know how that goes, everyone on CL thinks their bike is worth more.
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I'm afraid you're being too optimistic. I think you'd be better off putting the original components on it and asking $285 and taking $250.
    Maybe you could add into the ad the upgrades as options offered with purchase of the bike (for additional cost).
    What if I lower it to $400?

    The reason for the post is because I had a guy asking about it, and he said "that's going to be a tough sale"

    In fact, he offered me $200 for it stock.

    So maybe you are right Chaz.

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    just get a bike and ride!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    289
    ya 200-250 sounds fair..

  6. #6
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,984
    It depends on how long you want to sit on it. I sat on my 2002 Enduro Pro for 3 months before it sold for what I wanted out of it. If you wait you can generally find the right buyer eventually.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  7. #7
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    It depends on how long you want to sit on it. I sat on my 2002 Enduro Pro for 3 months before it sold for what I wanted out of it. If you wait you can generally find the right buyer eventually.
    I basically told him I wasn't in a hurry to sell it, which is true. So, I was kind of thinking along those lines.



    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    just get a bike and ride!

  8. #8
    locked - time out
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,079
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I basically told him I wasn't in a hurry to sell it, which is true. So, I was kind of thinking along those lines.



    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, three months gives you enough to go to the sporting goods store, pick out a nice handgun and practice for when you try to meet people from CL who want to rob you when they meet you to "buy" the bike.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,085
    That seems optimistic but time will tell.

    Unless you add components with a solid resale value on their own, then the upgrades are just your preference.

    Someone, if they thought clearly for a moment, could buy the bike brand new with a warranty, and then add the bar, saddle, or pedals they prefer. Why buy your bike?

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Yeah, three months gives you enough to go to the sporting goods store, pick out a nice handgun and practice for when you try to meet people from CL who want to rob you when they meet you to "buy" the bike.
    So far, I have had zero issues with this. I always meet at the gas station by my house, the guys there know me, it's always busy, and there is usually a cop or two.

    Now I've jinxed myself!

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    just get a bike and ride!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,826
    I'd a agree that's optimistic. There are a proverbial shit ton of bikes for sale at that price point. Check to see if you have a regional bike classifieds through FB or something. Here we have PNW classifieds on FB. It's been light years better to use than CL or Ebay. No flakes and typically get multiple offers same day.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  12. #12
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I've decided to sell my Gravity 29er SS, for one I don't ride too often, I'm not fit/crazy enough for SS but it was fun trying it out. (no regrets)

    The bike is $350.00 new.

    I spent just under $200.00 in upgrades, 780mm bars (comes with like 580mm) grips/ Race Face Chesters/bottle cage (cheap one) and the saddle was from another bike.

    I posted on CL for $500.00 firm - the bike has 40miles on it, and its ready to ride.

    I don't feel like, putting it back to stock form, and then having to sell the upgrades separate.


    Am I being too optimistic? Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Yeah, you know how that goes, everyone on CL thinks their bike is worth more.What if I lower it to $400?

    The reason for the post is because I had a guy asking about it, and he said "that's going to be a tough sale"

    In fact, he offered me $200 for it stock.

    So maybe you are right Chaz.

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Well, the bike was $350 and you said the upgrades were under $200 so that is under $550. So at $500 you're discounting it less than $50, which is less than 10%. Even though it only has 40 miles on it, people are going to expect a bigger discount.

    A large number of potential buyers are going to be looking for a low priced bike, the lower the better. It's kind of tough, a SS isn't really a beginner's bike. So potentially, someone like yourself that wants to try SSing, who may be interested in the upgrades because they know something about mountain biking, or possibly someone who just wants a bike for riding around town (I'm assuming a SS would be ok for that but maybe I'm wrong) and this potential buyer may not be interested in the upgrades so the higher price will discourage them. And the guy/gal that wants to try SS may prefer clip-less and doesn't want to pay extra for platforms.

    But anyway, it's free to advertise on CL and you're not in a hurry so put it up at a high price and no harm if it doesn't sell for awhile. You can always go in and lower the price after a few weeks or swap out the parts and reprice or maybe someone will make you an offer that works out. When I bought my Gunnar Roadie, I got the guy to lower the price some because I did not want the shoes he was including. I also did not want the pedals but neither did he; can't remember if I sold them or if I still have them.

    What about assembly? Was there much assembly? You may be able to make it more enticing if you point out that the bike is fully assembled and that the potential purchaser can test ride the bike; something they can't do if they purchase it new. I guess the last bike I sold was my tri bike; it took a good while and some chick kept offering me half price but finally someone came along and bought it.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

  13. #13
    Rod
    Rod is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,095
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    That seems optimistic but time will tell.

    Unless you add components with a solid resale value on their own, then the upgrades are just your preference.

    Someone, if they thought clearly for a moment, could buy the bike brand new with a warranty, and then add the bar, saddle, or pedals they prefer. Why buy your bike?

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Exactly, buy new with a warranty and customize it to your preferences.

    I vote converting it to stock and selling ot for 250 roughly. Good luck with the sale

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,427
    Would you spend $500 on a bike you know sells for $350?

    If you wouldn't, others wouldn't either. Bars and pedals aren't worth much, if anything. I saw a set of used Chester's for $15, and bars run for just a few bucks used too. You may have overpaid for the parts a bit.

    200-250 sounds fair.

  15. #15
    U sayin' Bolt ?
    Reputation: knutso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,202
    500 is crazy. I would jump on 200, and keep your bars, pedals and saddle.

    Bike is $350 shipped to your door. Once you discount what you paid for shipping ( I know they say it is 'free' ) and the risk of buying used, 200 is good money.

  16. #16
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    31,789
    Switch it back to stock and sell it for $275. A $75 savings for a new bike with 40 miles on it sounds fair. Then, sell the upgraded parts and you’ll come out close or above to your original investement.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  17. #17
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Switch it back to stock and sell it for $275.
    This, except *ask* $275 and be ready to accept something south of that.

    As for the upgraded parts, I don't know if you gave a complete list but I doubt you'd recoup the $200 you spent. Include them as separately priced items in your CL ad. It's not a terrible thing to have a few things in your parts bin as spares.

    Edit: And patience is your friend. Be ready to deal with all sorts of knuckleheads .
    “Weak men cannot handle power. It will either crush them, or they will use it to crush others.”
    ― Jocelyn Murray

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    121
    All of the "upgrades" are personal preference. What if the new owner doesn't like wide bars, the grips you chose, flat pedals, and wears a camelbak? Upgrades unfortunately depreciate faster than the bike itself, especially if they are installed on the bike. I would think around $350 would be fair with the upgrades, or $275 without (as DIRTJUNKIE suggested).

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,730
    Agree with those saying you should be pretty happy to get something around $250.

    Keep the pedals and bar if you like them; they aren't worth shit on the bike.

    Also, if you spent $200 on a pair of flats and bar, you might wanna consider driving a little harder bargain when purchasing stuff too.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    622
    Why would anyone pay $200 for a used handlebar and Chesters? Even if they were ENVE bars they wouldnt be worth anywhere near $200.

    The Chesters should be an easy sell by themselves for around $25 if they are clean with no damage, lots of people looking to buy those. Same with 780mm bars, should be easy to sell if priced competitively with bars of similar quality.

  21. #21
    Rabid Lana fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,743
    I'll give you $750 for it as is.

    My "courier" will be in touch to iron out the details.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  22. #22
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Yeah, three months gives you enough to go to the sporting goods store, pick out a nice handgun and practice for when you try to meet people from CL who want to rob you when they meet you to "buy" the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    So far, I have had zero issues with this. I always meet at the gas station by my house, the guys there know me, it's always busy, and there is usually a cop or two.

    Now I've jinxed myself!
    I have made a habit of having Craigslist Buyers meet me in front of my local Wells Fargo, there are camera's on the outside of every bank, so "if" someone was stupid enough to rob me there the police would have video of them. Secondly, once the transaction is complete I walk to the bank and deposit my cash, so if the person was thinking of following me to rob me, they already know I have no cash on me.

    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I'd a agree that's optimistic. There are a proverbial shit ton of bikes for sale at that price point. Check to see if you have a regional bike classifieds through FB or something. Here we have PNW classifieds on FB. It's been light years better to use than CL or Ebay. No flakes and typically get multiple offers same day.
    I have noticed that FB buyers and Sellers are just as flaky as Craigslist ones. I have been trying to buy something off a guy for 2 weeks now from FB marketplace.

    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    But anyway, it's free to advertise on CL and you're not in a hurry so put it up at a high price and no harm if it doesn't sell for awhile. You can always go in and lower the price after a few weeks or swap out the parts and reprice or maybe someone will make you an offer that works out.
    I did that with my Kona Coiler. I had just purchased a brand new wheel set for the bike as I was in the middle of a parts upgrade when a too good to pass up deal came along for the Intense Spider I now ride. The wheelset and tires had ZERO miles on them, a solid $250 value, but no one was making any reasonable offers, so I swapped back on the old Wheelset with the new tires and lowered the price a tad and it sold right away....
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,740
    Anyone buying from Bikesdirect is more concerned with value than refinement. Your market for the bike is full of lowballers. I don't see you getting money back from the upgrades, but don't let them beat you up too much on the stock bike. Your worth $275 all day long. I also think the hidden value here is in the fact that build quality on budget mail order bikes can be dodgy, and getting one that has a few miles on it but has been adjusted by an experienced cyclist is a benefit that should off-set any wear those miles caused.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,427
    $350 BD bikes *are* dodgy, but its not because of poor adjustment But nothing else comes close for the price, and if you need a $350 bike, its by far your best option.

    But they ship to your door with a warranty for that price. Asking more for a used bike with no warranty... thats more than a hard sell, thats looking for a sucker to rip off. You can take off your upgrades and sell them used, but used components are more of a hassle to sell than profitable.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    565
    I have actually sold two of those Gravity G29ers.... one of em I sold bone stock for 150.

    The other one I sold for 250 with deore brakes, and a recon silver on it.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,740
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    $350 BD bikes *are* dodgy, but its not because of poor adjustment
    I had one of the Bikesdirect fixed gear bikes that was perfectly fine except the rear wheel needed a complete re-tension out of the box The only thing I upgraded was the brake levers, and only because I had an old set of Shimanos in the spares box. By contrast, the On-One bike came to me flawlessly built.

  27. #27
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,177
    that asking price though!

    that there is some seriously funny shit...


  28. #28
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,413
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    I'll give you $750 for it as is.

    My "courier" will be in touch to iron out the details.
    Lol! Do you need my routing and account numbers?

    I appreciate all the replies!!

    Ok, so I would put it back to stock, and ask $275.00. Keeping the upgrades for the future or might sell them. There are other things in there, like the seatpost, seatpost collar, and of course the stem.

    I understand it will probably sell for $250.00.

    As for CL, I'm ok with it as mentioned, I take precautions.

    And for the record, I wasn't trying to burn anyone, I just had higher expectations...the bike is not bad at all, after adjusting everthing.



    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    just get a bike and ride!

Similar Threads

  1. favorite Netflix shows you watch over and over again
    By rockcrusher in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-21-2013, 08:20 PM
  2. Replies: 85
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 07:21 PM
  3. A 29er will roll over and a 26er will roll you over
    By Senor StrongBad in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 08:13 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-26-2008, 03:32 PM
  5. SC web pricing vs. LBS pricing?
    By bones in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 05:31 PM

Members who have read this thread: 128

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.