mtbr member
    Feb 2007

aluminum riser bar recommendation

Hi, I'm a pretty heavy guy up top . after see my 175 lb friend break his 2007 EC70 seat post going off a curb, I've decided to stick to Aluminum. I have a 110 <>5 Degree 25.4 weyless stem I'm ok with it. But a nice Thomson X4 would be one of the last pieces to blingify my bike.

What OS or regular riser would you recommend?
    Is it worth changing to OS if I'm going to stick to ALU anyway?
    Are me fears of carbon justified?
    Will a big upsweep on the bar increase pressure on the outside of the hands?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey mate, to answer your questions....

For riser, I'd trust anything by Easton or Race Face...I bought Race Face because they're a Canadian Company, I like supporting Canadian (even if it might not necessarily be MADE in Canada), and also everyone and their brother seems to ride Easton.

They have to make bars oversized in the clamp area for a reason. For some reason when I bought my new stem and bar this summer I stuck to the standard size, but buying oversized won't hurt, aside from teh slight weight penalty.

No, your fears about carbon fibre are not justified. There is a test done by German Bike mag that can also be found on the Race Face website, shows that Carbon Fibre is actually STRONGER than alu bars. I guess early CF was more prone to breakage, so thus you have people afriad of CF now. As long as you're careful when mounting the bar to the stem, and your stuff to the bar, you should be fine. Me? I still went Alu

An upsweep of the bars shouldn't increase pressure on the hands...but everyone is different...you might just have some freakish design to your body (no offence intended) that could be the only one, but most find that a bar with a bit of rise takes teh pressure off of the hands, as it puts you in a more upright riding position. I found it worked like that when I switched from a flat bar to a riser this summer...and love it. Except for the added width on tight singletrack...then it is not my friend...the dirt usually is then.

Tim

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    check out the on- one mary bars, takes away pressure on your hands and forearms

Kosher Princess

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    check out the on- one mary bars, takes away pressure on your hands and forearms
    I concur.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

here's your Answer

Answer Protapers. Oversize, 2" rise, very light for aluminum, and really strong. I'm #210 and use them on my Heckler for somewhat aggressive riding, but i'm no freerider. Had Easton bars before, and for me the easton bars, with the upsweep at the end of the bars, were uncomfortable because all the pressure went to the outside ends of my palms. Tha Answer bars had all the upsweep (rise) in the center of the bar, so the ends were flat and level. and very comfortable. They come really wide, so its good for big guys, but can always be cut down to fit. Around $90 at my LBS.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by timms
    Are me fears of carbon justified?
    Even though I run a carbon bar, I think they are... Yes, in a lab, carbon is stronger, but real-world abuse is something else.

Beyond strength is mode of failure. An aluminum bar will bend -- carbon will fail catastrophically.

I weigh 170 and dont do much jumping, so I think Im somewhat justified. Much heavier/aggro, Id stick with aluminum.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    @sullycanpara, I was and will continue to look at raceface stuff. I think buying into the new standard is a good idea, plus it'll retain value better. I just don't trust carbon, I'm going to stick to aluminum (any Ti suggestions). being a bigger guy with broader shoulders, the sweep will really have a tendency to put weight out the outer part of my hands.

@Dan-O and Natalie Portman, I actually wanted to vomit all over my keyboard when I saw those bars, as rodney dangerfield would say "no offence:.

@dwyooaj, they're definitely on my short list.

@ reposado man: I agree I think I'll be sticking to Alu.

hardcore on the bunnyhill
    As to whether the fear of carbon is justified or not I would say that it is. I think that everyone should have a healthy fear of the fact that carbon can suddenly snap. Now having said that, it should be noted that carbon parts nowadays are way better than they were even 5 years ago and that proper maintenance and crash avoidance almost assures that these parts will perform great for years. I find that aluminum brings me more peace of mind and allows me to ride faster and throw my weight around more without some nagging feeling in the back of my head that something disastrous may happen. If you feel comfortable with riding it and are willing to take care of it, carbon could be a good choice for you. btw - I like Race Face for both aluminum and carbon!
    Mr.Burns: Quick Smithers, bring me the mind eraser device!
    Smithers: You mean the revolver, sir?
    Mr.Burns: Precisely.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    man I checked out the answer protapers today, they were absolutely great, but before I buy, does anyone else have any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I went for the protapers. Thanks guys