mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Aluminum or Carbon handlebars/seatpost for full suspension?

I have a full suspension bike and I wanted to know if people typically get carbon fiber bars and seatposts with them. Is carbon fiber more a hardtail thing or is it for everyone?

mtbr member
    Ahh, the great debate surfaces again........
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    may carbon FS came with a carbon seatpost and AL handlebars. I haven't felt the need to change them.

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    hmmm... no it isn't It's a matter of how much you'd like to spend. Both alu and Carbon are all right for allmost any kind of bike.

One thing though: If you lower your saddle a lot for steep descents, (like I do on my fully): Better get an aluminium seatpost. It handles the "grinding" of sand/mud while adjusting better than carbon.
    Sent from my HAL 9000

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RockadileSX
    I have a full suspension bike and I wanted to know if people typically get carbon fiber bars and seatposts with them. Is carbon fiber more a hardtail thing or is it for everyone?

There's really no meaningful correlation between FS/Hardtail and carbon/Alu. All combinations are popular and completely fine
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I put carbon bars on my fs and noticed that it smoothed out some of the small vibrations a bit. Felt like a bit smoother ride. After riding both, I prefer the carbon. I'm sure someone will post back and slam me for saying this, but that's how it felt to me. My buddies all had pretty similar exepriences.

As for the seatpost, I agree with de lars, it may be fine on a road bike, but if you move your seat depending on the local terrain I would vote against this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    There's really no meaningful correlation between FS/Hardtail and carbon/Alu. All combinations are popular and completely fine
    Ok thats what I wanted to know, I thought maybe one or the other might have been preferred.

I guess it comes down to if I want ultimate stiffness in the front in which case I would go with Alu.

The Dude Abides
    I have quite a few scratches on my aluminum bars from falls. If they were on a carbon bar, I might start to worry...that's why I haven't gotten carbon bars.

Eric
    This aggression will not stand, man.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Carbon handebars have helped out some of my soreness in my hands and left shoulder by being a bit more comfortable to ride. I used to have aluminum and after very, very long rides I would start getting some annoying irritation in my hands and shoulders, but not to the point it was debilitating- just annoying.

It's my first set of carbon handlebars (I bought another one for my other bike as well but have't installed it yet), and I currently have the FSA K Force flat bar on my full suspension and it is a nice upgrade in my opinion. They felt pretty good in my race last weekend. We raced a pretty rocky trail with lots of rock climbs and bombing decents, and they felt pretty good and held up fine to the terrain in question. Only been riding on it for abotu two weeks though.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    carbon bars are plenty stiff , plus they negate alot of the buzzing vibrations you get from riding on hard surfaces with knobbies
    if you crash hard enough to crack a carbon bar you'll braek or bend an aluminum bars too
    in fact carbon is stronger
    make sure you use a torque wrench to tighten all clamps

carbon seatposts are fine also , with the same warning about raising & lowering listed above, again torque wrench

BTW I weigh 220lbs and ride aggressive xc, broke 3 frames and never damaged any carbon

One Gear
    I've broken 2 aluminum seatposts and 2 aluminum handlebars. The carbon bar has been on 3 bikes and has a fair amount of scratches on it. When it goes south, it will be replaced by another carbon bar. I just put a carbon seatpost on my FS so the jury is still out.

good luck

the WALKING DEAD
    Jun 2006
    I have carbon bars on all my bikes and have never had a problem with them. They definitely mute some of the buzz from reaching your hands. I can definitely tell the difference. Carbon is worth it for handlebars, as far as if it is worth it for seatposts, I can't say, I use aluminum Thompson posts with no set back. The May issue of MBA did an article regarding aluminum vs carbon. Check it out.
    Your momma's so nasty, she keeps ice between her legs just to keep the crabs fresh.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I think it depends on how rough of a rider you are, if your crashing a lot then carbon is probably not a good idea. but they are getting carbon pretty refined so it might not even be a big deal any more.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out