Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    (Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Alison Dunlap Q&A Session

Live Session Now Closed - Thanks for all the great questions and participation.

Mtbr.com may have more of these in the future.

>>Thanks for your participation.

>>Mtbr.com

>>For more information about Alison Dunlap and her Coaching program visit her website: www.AlisonDunlapCoaching.com

>>>>Thanks for the good pre-questions.

>>>>>>Mtbr is excited to announce an exclusive live forum experience with Pro Mtn Biker, Olympian and World Champion Alison Dunlap.

>>>>>>We invite you to participate and feel free to ask Alison questions about her career, how she trains, the sport of mountain biking and more.

>>>>>>Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alison Dunlap Q&A Session-alisondunlap_crossracing.jpg  

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Alison,

Sorry I can't be on live but work beckons.

Let me say thanks for doing this. Let me play like the interviewer in "Road" Magazine and ask you:

Gu Chomps or Sharkies?

XTR or XX?

On your pizza: Anchovies or Banana Peppers? Why?

One more: Is powertap and HR Monitoring over-rated for the weekend warrior?

Well I lied: MTBR, Ridemonkey, or Pinkbike?

Take care; ride hard.

mtbr member
    waiting on the east coast....

For Pro cyclists, how much factor is the bike in the results? Can you or say KatieC ride any bike frame, any wheels and still kill the competition?

If you had to list 5 things for someone to do to improve their mountain bike racing results, what are those things?

If you could divide up your time for the Ultimate life? how would it be divided in percentages?
    ex: 20% coaching, 40% racing ......etc?

what do you think makes a successful bike racer?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey all, thanks for being here - we'll get this ball rolling in just a few minutes! Hang tight for just a bit longer...
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey ArmySlowRdr, nice interview tactics! Here are a few answers:

Chomps or Sharkies: Neither! Shot Bloks, of course.
    XTR.
    Banana Peppers! Why? I like a little bit of zing.
    Definitely not. For someone that has very little time to train, you don't want to waste any of your time on the bike. An HR monitor or power meter lets you be most effective and efficient with your training.
    MTBr... where else would you find me?
    Alison Dunlap Coaching

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Okay, Alison, thanks for joining us today! We are very excited to have you here.

Please feel free to start with the first quesions posted above.
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    MusikFan:
    How much of a factor is the bike? Yes, the bike can play a big role in results if you're talking a 28 lb. bike vs. an 18 lb. bike. However, elite pros, when they have good legs, can win on any bike, any parts, any wheels.

Five things:
    1. Get a coach!
    2. Improve your nutrition.
    3. Ride
    4. Interval workouts - hard but necessary
    5. Do more races.

Mmm, ultimate life? 80% on the bike, 20% work.

Successful bike racers are dedicated, persistant, and have a passion for the sport.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching

mtbr member
    thank you!

rider
    Sep 2009

HR okay?

Is a HR monitor enough or should a power meter be used for optiumm training results?

mtbr member
    Alison: What are some of your favorite on and off-road rides around the country?

Addicted to Dirt
    Hi Alison,

What has been your favorite XC race course?
    What has been you favorite recreational ride/epic day etc.?
    What was your most scary experience on a bike?
    Where have you found the best MTB "culture"?
    Beer or wine?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeti - if you can afford a power meter, that's much better than an HR monitor. But if you're on a budget, you can train effectively using an HR monitor. For 18 years I raced using an HR monitor and it worked for me! These days, however, I use a power meter - no going back!
    Alison Dunlap Coaching

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ingluis:
    Fave XC course: Houffalize, Belgium
    Fave Rec ride: Monarch Crest Trail, Colorado - along the Continental Divide above treeline!
    Scary Exp: Becoming hypothermic in 30* weather, pouring rain, on a seven-hour training ride because I didn't have the right clothing. Don't try at home!
    Best MTB culture: Colorado has the best overall MTB culture that I've found!
    Beer or wine: Red wine...
    Alison Dunlap Coaching

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hi Deb!
    Fave Road ride: Road to Hana in Maui. This ride is high up on the cliff walls overlooking the ocean - super twisty-turny, lots of steep climbs and descents. Very narrow. Beautiful! It's like riding your road bike for six hours in a tropical paradise.
    Fave Off-road: Colorado Trail from Molas Pass to Durango. I love this ride because most of it is above treeline - the view are spectacular. The wildflowers are out of control; the trail is technical and physically very demanding; all of which makes for an amazing day on the bike.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching

annadel lives in my blood
    hi

do you bike commute ?

also if some one was to heckel you what would a good saying be
    annadel is where its at

CHECK OUT MY FLICKR http://flickr.com/photos/32538636@N06/

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Lawndale: Well, since I work from home, my only commute is from the bedroom to the kitchen to the office! :-) I do ride my bike downtown to go to the store, the post office, and other such errands, though.

Heckling? Hmmm... I would hate to be called "pack fill"!
    Alison Dunlap Coaching

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi Alison,

When you train with a power meter, what kind of bike test to you do? That is, what parameters are you measuring? V02max power, lactate threshold power, max power sustainable for 1 minute?

What kind of intervals do you do when you are training for a race?

When you are racing, are you looking at your power meter at all for pacing or is it just for post-race analysis?

Thank you in advance for entertaining my power geek questions!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi Alison. Thanks for taking questions. Wondering what your thoughts on off season training were. Lots of snow in Colorado now, so outside time on the bike is limited. Do you think some easy nordic skiing or backcountry ski tours are and OK substitute for base miles this time of year?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey Kitboo -

When you start training with a power meter you need to do a field test. From the field test results, you'll determine your power level at lactate threshold. From this info, you can then determine all your other training (power) zones. For example, when someone signs up as a member of Alison Dunlap Coaching, the first thing they receive is a field test to determine their power (or heart rate) zones.

Intervals? Depends on the race. For cyclocross, which just finished up for the year, I do a lot of high-power, anaerobic, super-short intervals with very little recovery time. If you're training for a 100-mile MTB race, then you'd want to do more lactate threshold intervals that are 15-30 minutes long.

When I'm racing, I don't look at my power meter. There's too much going on to focus on that - I use it more for post-race info. However, during a road time trial (for example), you could look at the power meter to better gauge your output.

No problem!
    Alison Dunlap Coaching

sinner
    Jan 2007
    You are 28 miles away from home and out of food. You still have 6000 feet of climbing to do before you descend back to your door. 2 kind strangers offer you some food. One has Beef jerky and a Red bull. The other has a snickers bar and some sardines. What would you eat?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hi brmcc - The rule of thumb is that if you want to be a better bike racer, you have to ride your bike. Any kind of skiing will definitely help maintain your aerobic capacity, but it won't really do that much for your legs as far as cycling is concerned. If you're an amateur racer, try maybe half the week skiing and the other half on the bike. If you're an elite-level racer, you should spend more time on the bike - maybe a few days of skiing here and there for a mental break. In the snow, of course, it's hard to get outside - try using the trainer in front of the tube, watching an action-packed film. Or just come down to the Front Range on the weekends - as I type, it's almost 60 and sunny outside!
    Alison Dunlap Coaching

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

2 questions

Hello Allison:

Strength Training wasn't on the top 5 things you listed above. Friel recommneds it for Masters (i.e. athletes over 40) AND women.
    Do you recommend it under any particular circumstances?

I am a "time-crunched" wannabe XC racer who just upgraded to CAT 1 (Expert) and have some tough time constraints (<10 hours per week). Your CAT 1 program sample has about 10+ hours per week scheduled, I assume that it would only increase over the training cycle/block.
    Where could one pare down the hours (group ride, recovery ride, etc.)?

BTW, I think that your Coaching business is a good idea and fills an unserved market niche. FWIW, I am a potential client!

Thanks,

James

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    itchyjesus - I'd make friends with both the strangers and eat all of it - and then I'd hope I didn't throw up on the way home.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hi Alison -- thanks for doing this! Three questions:

What's your philosophy or approach to weight training?
    What's the most common riding or training mistake you see in your clients?
    What's your take on advocacy/trail access issues?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hi James - I recommend strength training for any endurance athlete, but especially masters, women, and any rider that's new to the sport.

If you're short on time, here's my rule of thumb for paring down the workouts:
    1. Maintain your intervals. These are very important and you need to get them all in. You can always shorten the warm-up and recovery on interval days if you must to make it a quicker workout.
    2. You can always shorten recovery rides or skip them entirely if you must.
    3. You can trim the long rides on the weekends or any of the Endurance rides during the week.

For riders that are really crunched for time, remember that it's quality, not quantity, that counts.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast