mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Advice sought on Urban Bike off MTB platform

I am trying to build an ultimate urban bike off a MTB platform and need some input.

Background: Many people prefer MTB over road bikes for reasons like apparel, position, tire size, versatility, etc., but also want to go very fast. But flatbar road bikes are ruled out due to tire size and geometry reasons, so I am going to use a 26" MTB platform (cost, availability, etc.).

Goal is light weight (9kg), relatively cheap ($1200-1500ish), and fast (and look bad ass).

But I am going to make the following changes, and would appreciate thoughts from the experts on this forum:

1. Light aluminum frame, but slightly lower BB, with a BB drop of 30-35mm or so. HA will be 71 degrees.
    2. Carbon rigid fork, at around 42-43cm a-t-c, result in a fork trail of around 68mm.
    3. Very short chain stay of around 41cm. For size M, 58 virtual top tube.
    4. Frame will be designed for 1.35-1.5 bald tires in mind but will accommodate 2.0 tires if pushed (with 6-7mm clearance on each side).
    5. V brakes. So much lighter and cheaper.

Drivetrain, I am not decided yet whether to use full MTB parts or a combination of road/CX/MTB parts. Also considering gripshift, 2X10, 44/28X11/28, etc.

It sounds awefully similar to a C'dale Bad Boy, but I am trying to top the bad boy. I have access to some manufacturing facility so feel free to use imagination. How does this sound?

mtbr member
    Rear-facing v-brakes to reduce drag.