mtbr member

New question here. Advantage(s) to Shorter Chainstays...

So i have a Misfit Dissent singlespeed, and i recently shortened the chain and rearranged the bolts in the dropouts in order to shorten the wheelbase and/or to give me more room for adjustments in chain tension depending on my rear cog.

I know there are several factors like wheelbase, head angle, rake/trail, etc... that dictate a bike's handling characteristics but shorter Chainstay Lengths seems to be a popular trend/movement in recent bikes.

I assume a shorter overall wheelbase might handle more "tightly" and maybe improve traction with more weight over the rear wheel. But might that also cause you to be more prone to unintended wheelies on steep climbs? (taking rider skills out of the equation in this instance).

So what are the benefits and what should/might i notice with maybe 20mm shorter chainstays?

(just b/c everything is better with pictures, here my relatively new build)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ride it and give us your impressions. I have a Nimble 9 and I really like the way it is easy to wheelie and pull the front end up for drops and obstacles. It is fun and playful on the trails and even goofing around town and poping off curbs and such. As for unwanted wheelies when climbing, that does happen more with the Nimble but for my riding style I'll take the tradeoff. As for a SS that should never be a problem anyway.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    The only time I notice a shorter wheel base is in super tight and techy terrain, particularly where there are alot of trees. It seems a bike can be quite a bit more whip-able and responsive with a tighter wheelbase.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

Misfit Psycles
    there are some that prefer shorter stays for climbing (i'm assuming the steeper the more important)...i'm not one of those but that's what the sliders now have two sets of holes, to allow some customization of the stay length.

if you are feeling really frisky you can always add the link and reconfigure to compare, while the thought is fresh.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    As others have mentioned shorter chainstays can be an advantage when climbing steep grades, but they also flex less so when you''re really gunning it you will get more power to the rear wheel. There are usually trade-offs though and a longer wheelbase bike is better for DH and overall comfort.

usually cranky
    easier to manual, pump, flick, ect. how much you will notice with a 20mm change idk.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    easier to manual, pump, flick, ect. how much you will notice with a 20mm change idk.
    That's the reason why I bought my DJ bike.

re member
    shorter chainstays = easier to wheelie = better (in my world)
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

B.Ike
    shorter chainstays=easier to manual=better (in my world)