Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Adjust your tires PSI on the fly?

Just read about this. The basic idea sounds wonderful, lower air pressure when you need the grip, increase it for easier peddling when you don't. In practical terms, who knows if this will really make sense, but neat idea all the same.

ADAPTRAC changes mountain bikes' tire pressure on the fly

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think for the added weight of the system ill deal with static tire pressures.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

AZ
    banned
    That swivel connection on the side will last about 13 nanoseconds before it is ripped off with a resounding "woosh" and then you be walkin.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    You should re- post this in the fatbike section...

'Tis but a scratch
    Interesting, but I think I'll pass, too. Seems like more things to fail. I've managed to find my happy place on tire pressure. Novel though. Thanks for sharing. Someone will buy it.

PS Interesting website gizmag

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilely View Post
    Just read about this. The basic idea sounds wonderful, lower air pressure when you need the grip, increase it for easier peddling when you don't. In practical terms, who knows if this will really make sense, but neat idea all the same.

ADAPTRAC changes mountain bikes' tire pressure on the fly
    Huh, I never really saw the point of running my mtb tires any higher than the lowest I can get away with. When would I want them pumped higher? For long sections of pavement?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Really cool. I have thought about a system like this for a while. Its neat someone finally created a prototype.

I dont necessarily think it will take off but the innovation is awesome to see.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

DIY all the way
    LOL!

The first thing I did after I finished reading the article, was to check the publishing date.

I sure did expect it to be April 1st.

Magura

mtbr member
    I am still fairly new, been riding reguarly for just over a year, but I do notice that when I have the air pressure lower, to get better grip on roots and such, it takes more effort to pedal, particuarly on climbs. Perhaps my "engine" just is not strong enough :-)
    Anyway, Gizmag is a site I enjoy reading and when I saw this thought it should be shared here. Neat idea, doubtful the cost, weight penalty and extra complications that would come with it would make it worth it though.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Really cool. I have thought about a system like this for a while. Its neat someone finally created a prototype.

I dont necessarily think it will take off but the innovation is awesome to see.
    My thoughts exactly.

Fat-tired Roadie
    It's kind of cool, but my bike is complicated enough already. I don't even change my tire pressure for different riding spots, I really don't want to mess with it mid-ride.

I'd be afraid of damaging something. Maybe not the thing on the side, but the hose that runs out parallel to the spokes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

clown question, bro
    I doubt I would use it as well. I can't remember the last time I even bothered to lock-out my fork so I don't know that I'd bother worrying about my PSI on the fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have on occasion pumped up the tires for a road ride to the trails then bled down for the trail....

Then pumped up for the ride back home....

I just used my pump...the total milage for the day was just over 163 km a century...

I didn't mind the small break.

( . )( . )
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    That swivel connection on the side will last about 13 nanoseconds before it is ripped off with a resounding "woosh" and then you be walkin.
    Yup. Its just a one-touch fitting, so I would hope they would develope it to better integrate with the hub on the real version. I still don't think the tire pressure is what I would worry about on a ride, not like I am in a race each and every day that I ride.
    Muzik
    ______
    There is no strong beer, only weak men

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think I'd want that thing even less on a race day. Brakes and shifters are enough, thank you, and part of why I like hydraulics is that they never need adjustment mid-ride. One of these days, I'm going to have to try singlespeed.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    I can't remember the last time I even bothered to lock-out my fork so I don't know that I'd bother worrying about my PSI on the fly.
    +1
    lowered my seat for the first time last weekend (only for a steep downhill), wont bother doing it again because I couldn't be fukt, air pressures.....pffft
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No thanks. This is another solution to a problem that does not exist.

mtbr member
    I think its been pretty well proven that lower pressure equals lower resistance.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I think its been pretty well proven that lower pressure equals lower resistance.
    Thanks for that, Mr. Non Sequitur!

mtbr member
    Its pretty linear with the thread.. the whole premise of the device is that its somehow helping you by pushing up your pressure. This isnt true. Theres enough tests out there now to prove it from more than a few sources. Its just entirely a bad idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Huh, I never really saw the point of running my mtb tires any higher than the lowest I can get away with. When would I want them pumped higher? For long sections of pavement?
    If you do need to ride a long distance to get to the trail then higher PSI is better. Most people don't need to do this though.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabies010 View Post
    You should re- post this in the fatbike section...
    A buddy of mine with a Pugsley asked me about this years ago ("like a Hummer", he said). Fat bike tire pressure is a little more of an issue esp. if you are on mixed terrain like hard to sand, or frozen to snow. The benefits of pressure changes are instantly realized.

I'm sure these guys will integrate the system a lot better and someday the seat post or the handlebar or something will double as the compressed air canister. Heck, they could build a shock absorbing seat post that pressurizes a reservoir while you bounce down the trail.

I'd like to see if the system doesn't leak, though. Rotating air seals are a tricky business. The stock fittings on the outside are pretty reliable, but I wonder more about the internals of the hub.

Very cool idea!

-F
    Last edited by Fleas; 04-19-2012 at 08:31 AM.
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I want to see this contraption on a bike that also has a dropper seatpost and remote lockouts for both front and rear suspension. All those cables, lines, and levers... What a mess!

While interesting, it will find itself in the scrap heap with 2WD. Too complicated for the minor benefit involved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Heck, they could build a shock absorbing seat post that pressurizes a reservoir while you bounce down the trail.-F

You have no idea how much money I would pay to watch someone try to bounce on their seat to try and air up their tires. The mental image alone is comic gold.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    You have no idea how much money I would pay to watch someone try to bounce on their seat to try and air up their tires. The mental image alone is comic gold.
    Ha ha! That is a funny visual, but we are seeing it differently.

The cheapo pogo seat posts have about 1" of travel. With a 1" stroke air pump, it would probably take more than a few miles of bumpy riding to pump up a reservoir with enough air for a fat bike. But once it's filled, you would only use a little air at a time in adjusting your tire pressure, and the reservoir would always be topped off with no extra work from the rider. If you charged it with a pump before you installed it it would always be ready - on-board air tank, just like the off-road trucks.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast