MTB, Road, Commuting

Add a 29er to the fleet in addition to the 26er?

I'm sure this has been covered but I couldn't come up with a search that would give me any posts.

I already have 5 bikes: steel road, CF road, steel cyclocross, steel ridged MTB used as a commuter but only one FS bike, a GT Sensor 1.0 I'm happy with it BUT, it just went into the shop and needs the shock sent back to Fox so I'm without a mountain bike for a month. I'm thinking it might be time to try out this 29er thing.

For those of you who own both, do you swap them back and forth? Is one going to just sit there? I'm going a little insane at the thought on no trails for a month.

I'm looking at a GT Sensor 9er Elite. Listed at $1259 but I'm hoping I can do better since it is an XL and they need to make space for the 2013s.

mtbr member
    Well you already have a bunch of that road crap tainting the mountain purity, so may as well really mix things up.

Any chance you can get on a 29er for a demo ride (on trails, not parking lot) to see if ya like it before dropping a grand?

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I think technically I'm kinda balanced now, 2 road 2 mountain, 1 cross but the rigid mountain is acting more like a road bike so I see your point.

They do offer extended test rides for $50/day - refundable if you buy so that might be a good option. The weather is supposed to be crap this weekend so I'm not sure if I'll get a chance.

I build my own.
    You're very lucky to get the chance for an extended test. Take it. make sure you have lots of time to rid ewhen you do test. And take the bike everywhere.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Hmm, LBS won't budge on the price and I can get it online for $1100 Or I can get the Sensor 9er Expert for $1450. It's going to be snowing tomorrow and raining Sunday so not the best time for a test ride. Choices Choices!

Never Forget 9-11
    I have one of each. I only ride the 26 when the 29 is in the shop. I still enjoy riding the 26 but the 29 is a lot more fun for me. Others I know that have ridden both share an opposite opinion. Its all good.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

the half breed devil
    i mix it up, but my 29er is the primary go to bike...here's a breakdown of the strava screenshot that shows the miles i've put on my four bikes to date:

the F8F bearcat is my geared niner hardtail

the P38 lightning is my (monster) cross

the hawker hurricane is my single speed full rigid niner

the sopwith camel is my geared 26'er hardtail

one might note that the geared niner hardtail and the 'cross are my two newest bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Add a 29er to the fleet in addition to the 26er?-screen-shot-2012-11-30-5.46.25-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It doesn't make sense to have a 26 and 29er that are basically the same bike but with different wheel sizes. If you are going to have 2 mountain bikes, they should be in different categories (for instance, hardtail vs all mountain). Wheel size is a minor consideration when compared to geometry and suspension travel.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^I thought it would give me a good way to evaluate the differences in wheel size alone. I know I like the i-drive suspension and I know I like the price point of the sensor. I think if I like the 9er the next step would be to sell the sensor 1.0 and move to a lightweight 26. I don't really need a downhill bike. If it's true that different wheels on the same basic bike don't make much difference then this whole 650b thing seems pretty pointless.

Thanks Shekky - the new bikes do seem to be the ones that rack up the miles fastest

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    It doesn't make sense to have a 26 and 29er that are basically the same bike but with different wheel sizes. If you are going to have 2 mountain bikes, they should be in different categories (for instance, hardtail vs all mountain). Wheel size is a minor consideration when compared to geometry and suspension travel.
    sir, what makes sense to you and what makes sense to me could quite often be two different things.

my 26 inch wheeled hardtail is fifteen years old, still uses vee brakes and runs a shimano 3 x 8.

the 29'er is brand new, has disc brakes and runs a 3 x 10 drivetrain. not to mention the fact that it has a longer top tube due to the slightly larger size and a four inch travel fork vs the vintage three inch travel marzocchi on the ibis.

i don't want to initiate yet another useless 29'er vs 26'er debate but the 29'er DOES seem to roll over obstacles better and generally inspires more confidence.

trust me, the difference between the two is not quite "night and day" but more like "early morning and mid afternoon".

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    sir, what makes sense to you and what makes sense to me could quite often be two different things.

my 26 inch wheeled hardtail is fifteen years old, still uses vee brakes and runs a shimano 3 x 8.

the 29'er is brand new, has disc brakes and runs a 3 x 10 drivetrain. not to mention the fact that it has a longer top tube due to the slightly larger size and a four inch travel fork vs the vintage three inch travel marzocchi on the ibis.

i don't want to initiate yet another useless 29'er vs 26'er debate but the 29'er DOES seem to roll over obstacles better and generally inspires more confidence.

trust me, the difference between the two is not quite "night and day" but more like "early morning and mid afternoon".
    What? Of course it makes sense to buy a 15 year newer bike of the same category. Those 2 bikes aren't the same. And, yes, 29ers do roll over obstacles better. No argument there. I was just saying that if you are going to buy a 2nd bike and keep the old one, it's nice to have them for different purposes. If I still had my Voodoo Nzumbi I doubt I would ever ride it now that I have my Niner SIR9. Both are single speed hard tails and since I prefer the big wheels there would be no point other than nostalgia to dust off the ol' Nzumbi. But if the older bike were quite different, say a long travel FS bike, then it would have a purpose that it could be used for.

But hey, if you still like to ride the old stuff, go ahead. That's cool. That has nothing to do with my point. I was just talking about swapping rides between two nearly identical bikes with different wheel sizes.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I tried the 9er today and it doesn't feel like an identical bike. It sits more upright and feels quite different. I didn't do too much of a test ride 'cause it was snowing.

I didn't mean to make this a 29er vs 26er thread. Kind of the opposite, was wondering if people liked to ride both if they had them available.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    What? Of course it makes sense to buy a 15 year newer bike of the same category. Those 2 bikes aren't the same. And, yes, 29ers do roll over obstacles better. No argument there. I was just saying that if you are going to buy a 2nd bike and keep the old one, it's nice to have them for different purposes. If I still had my Voodoo Nzumbi I doubt I would ever ride it now that I have my Niner SIR9. Both are single speed hard tails and since I prefer the big wheels there would be no point other than nostalgia to dust off the ol' Nzumbi. But if the older bike were quite different, say a long travel FS bike, then it would have a purpose that it could be used for.

But hey, if you still like to ride the old stuff, go ahead. That's cool. That has nothing to do with my point. I was just talking about swapping rides between two nearly identical bikes with different wheel sizes.
    gotcha.

i don't think i would get a 26" ss since i have a 29" ss already.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You should try one and see if it works for you. The reality of the situation, like it or not, is the days of being able to add new a 26inch hardtail to your quiver are limited. As it is finding a new 26inch hardtail very difficult.

If you are like me, one of the few who it not happy on a 29er, then you should either get a new 26inch while you can, or wait for the large selection of 650b bikes that are coming within the next couple of years.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Professional Crastinator
    Not that you should ditch the 26er rigid, but if you're going rigid, go 29er.
    NO SHOCK MAINTENANCE. (:smilie that somehow says, "duh", but in a nice way: )
    (IMHO)

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a full suspension 29er cross country and a full suspension 26 cross country ss both are fun bikes the 29er does roll over stuff easier the 26er is more of a challange ,mostly because of being a ss.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Ordered: GT Sensor 9er Expert. I could have got the elite locally but made the jump to the expert. I can sell off the one I like the least or if I like them both I can keep them both. I've decided the ideal number of bikes for me is 8 and this will make 6.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    First Ride - This bike is tall and weird, I'm not sure if I like it.
    Second Ride - This bike is tall, tall is different, it would be stupid to buy a bike that felt the same as my old one.
    Third Ride - I think tall could be good.
    Fourth Ride - Tall is good.
    Fifth Ride - I'm sold. It will be interesting to go back to my other bike when it gets out of the shop.

I find myself looking at different lines than I would have taken on the other bike. I go over stuff that I would have gone around.

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Second Ride - This bike is tall, tall is different, it would be stupid to buy a bike that felt the same as my old one.
    Fifth Ride - I'm sold. It will be interesting to go back to my other bike when it gets out of the shop.

I find myself looking at different lines than I would have taken on the other bike. I go over stuff that I would have gone around.
    Well done! Giving it a chance. Do ride the old bike. Different is good.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I honestly don't think a test ride would have done it. I had to transition into it. Oh, I'll still ride the old bike, different IS good. All but one of my road bikes has logged over 800 miles this year. Last year was cross bike year. I think this will be 9er year. I'll have to hold off on a fatty to give the 9er it's new bike spot for a while.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post

It took you that many rides before being sold on a 29er? My LBS let me out the door with a new SB95 Yeti urging me to try it out in the find next door.

First ride: This thing is tall but it feels great!
    Second ride: the LBS fitting the bike to me and loading it up in the truck

Anyhow, I still have both 26er but the XC (FS) is used as a loaner or back up bike. The Trail (HT) bike is used as an errand bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Man, first time I rode a 9er, I was convinced, "This is the shizzle!" Kept my 26er for a while as a back up, and after going thru 2 29ers upgrading each time, I sold the 26er, as it was getting NO trail time. Just upgraded to a new Niner Rip 9 and I love it. Funny thing though, just in passing, two of my riding partners have Speshies (9ers) and love them, but I don't like the way they feel at all. We kinda compared and realized the head tube angle is different. To me, (and I'm not bashing Speshies) the front end sticks out too far or something, making it feel awkward and slow steering to me. I've had a Fisher, a VooDoo, and now a Niner 29er, and they all felt more compact and much quicker steering to me. Moral of the story, every bike is different, there is one out there for everyone.
    Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don't know how far we can go. Bernard Malamud