mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Abus Granit X-Plus 54 U-Lock

Does anyone have one of these german locks? Been thinking about one though theyre expensive theyre more useful I think than the kryptonite fahgettaboudit because its so small and would only be of use on the rear fork and lighter. Though a combo of the two might work really well but anyways back on track. Anyone use one and any advice about them? Or them in general?

PRETENDURO
    I have the $200 Granit CityChain X-Plus 1060 lock in the 8 pound weight… yes, the longest, burliest one they make (10mm chain link thickness). Thing is a beast, I think perhaps a plasma cutter could lay waste to it though.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    yeah i was thinking about chains too then decided waay overkill for bike im getting and too big and bulky to carry in my camelbak and wouldnt want to wrap it around anything on the bike. I said wth and bought it though for current and upcoming bike its still overkill but i say better spend a bit more and be more secure(if nothing else in my mind ) have you any experience with a good seat cable/lock? for now just a old seat cable though Ive just checked and the old thick cable lock i used to use for when u locks were too short to lock up fits through the seat rails but i dont think it will on the new seat coming.

banned
    The Abus looks like a useful lock that would be light enough to pack. I do not think that $100 is too much to spend on securing your bike. I have spent more than that. I own three security chains with heavy duty locks. One chain from On Guard is 18mm thick with six sides to make it more difficult to grip. I own a panzer lock that is super heavy duty and I have a quadra chain/lock that one bike magazine hired a former bike thief to defeat and he said he barely put a scratch on it. About $350 for the three of them.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I have the $200 Granit CityChain X-Plus 1060 lock in the 8 pound weight… yes, the longest, burliest one they make (10mm chain link thickness). Thing is a beast, I think perhaps a plasma cutter could lay waste to it though.
    A cordless angle grinder will take apart this, and just about any other bike lock in a few minutes. A big-ass bolt cutter will work too (think 42"), like this one:

Abus chain meet the big bolt cutter - YouTube

I spent $18 on a beefy 4' length of chain from Home Depot, and use it with a Masterlock I had lying around. Wrapped the chain in a spare bike tube to protect my frame. Almost as effective as a $200 lock for 10% the price.