mtbr member

? about Slime Tubes and tire liners

is it ok to use tire liners with Slime Tubes or will the liners just get in the way of the slime, making it harder for the Slime to seal the holes.

thanks
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    I've heard far too many bad things to use Slime tubes. Use Stan's sealant instead. Either inject it directly into the Schrader valve/tube, or go tubeless and pour a good amount of Stan's in the tire before you seat the bead.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

banned

consider tubeless.

I tried slimed tubes with tuffy liners years ago when living in AZ. It made for to much rotational weight for my liking. Went back to tuffy liners only.

Since then, tubeless has evolved in mtn biking. Could'nt imagine running tubes again.

mtbr member
    Slime tubes are heavy and go flat just as fast as regular tube when punctured. Complete waste of money.
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I use Slime pre-filled tubes with no liners. I love this product. It adds very little weight, and I used to get flats all the time, and have not had one single flat since using this product 350 miles ago. BTW, I just rode the Cannell Trail and Plunge, as well as two more days in the Mountains, and not one single flat. I know there are a ton of people who don't like Slime, but I would suggest you make up your own mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S View Post
    Slime tubes are heavy and go flat just as fast as regular tube when punctured. Complete waste of money.
    not my experience... never had a flat with either a Slime tube or a Stans Sealant tube.

mtbr member
    my front tube is slime tube and my rear is a bontrager tube with stans sealant. havent seen either fail

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I use standard tubes and Slime for ATV / Tractor tires. It had chuncks of ground up rubber in it.
    We have a lot of Goat Heads and I never get a flat. A slow leak some times but just pump it up and push on...

One time my son had a 14 gauge wire stuck in his tire and it cut a good 1/4" long hole. I was sure the tube / tire were done. We pulled out the wire, pumped it up and he is still riding that tire today. Slime works!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I have liners with the extra thick slime tubes in my son's bike and it has yet to get a flat in six months of trail or street/pavement riding. I personally am going tubeless in the very near future because I don't want the added weight.

Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll View Post
    I tried slimed tubes with tuffy liners years ago when living in AZ. It made for to much rotational weight for my liking. Went back to tuffy liners only.

Since then, tubeless has evolved in mtn biking. Could'nt imagine running tubes again.

Yep I did same thing and went to just slime.......
    "Ya can't argue logic with ignorance.''

Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by dead_dog_canyon View Post
    I use standard tubes and Slime for ATV / Tractor tires. It had chuncks of ground up rubber in it.
    We have a lot of Goat Heads and I never get a flat. A slow leak some times but just pump it up and push on...

One time my son had a 14 gauge wire stuck in his tire and it cut a good 1/4" long hole. I was sure the tube / tire were done. We pulled out the wire, pumped it up and he is still riding that tire today. Slime works!
    we got tons of em' here also......
    "Ya can't argue logic with ignorance.''