Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Thinking this might be a ....

.....an old Saab....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-022.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

'Tis but a scratch
    I've been going through a ton of old pics and discovered a few I haven't posted before.

The first one is not that old, but I liked it because it is a Mercury Montego wagon (early 70's). This big old boat is what my first car was. Paid $200.

Any body know what the last one is? I don't. Found on Ringwood-Ramapo trail near Shepherd's Pond - if that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-dsc00738x.jpg  

The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-dsc01619x.jpg  

The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-dsc05745x.jpg  

The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-dsc08087x.jpg  

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana View Post
    .....an old Saab....
    oh, good call. front drive, upright, curved windshield, bulbous roof. i think you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    I've been going through a ton of old pics and discovered a few I haven't posted before.

The first one is not that old, but I liked it because it is a Mercury Montego wagon (early 70's). This big old boat is what my first car was. Paid $200.

Any body know what the last one is? I don't. Found on Ringwood-Ramapo trail near Shepherd's Pond - if that helps.
    awesome montego. you can see the kinship with the starsky and hutch-mobile.
    then, no idea. thought it might be a capri, but the c-pillar base has a 50's look.
    next, a 30's school bus. love that old grille.
    last one, is, i think, a ransacked one of these

i may be wrong, and it might just be some kind of paving equipment. it's obviously an implement of some kind, but doesn't look suited to a field.

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    awesome montego. you can see the kinship with the starsky and hutch-mobile.

last one, is, i think, a ransacked one of these
    i may be wrong, and it might just be some kind of paving equipment. it's obviously an implement of some kind, but doesn't look suited to a field.
    I added another pic on the Montego. Starsky and Hutch didn't have the rear jumpseat like the Montego did!!!

As for this thing that might be a tank, I haven't been on this trail in a long time. Now I'm gonna have to find my way back there sometime for a closer look. If/when that happens...I'll add more pics. Its not too far from a recreation area, so it could be an abandoned paver of some kind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-montego2.jpg  

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    the back seat was the best place to ride. look out the window and watch the world go by.

mtbr member

Nome AK aircraft and gold mining history

Dredge # 3, a large bucketline dredge, last operated in the 30s. I suppose you can call it a vehicle, a barge, that traveled under it's own power with cables and winches, moving it's pond as it went. The twin engine aircraft is one of two of this type abandoned in Nome. I know nothing about them, but suspect they were used to carry passengers and freight in the 40s and 50s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-aircraft.jpg  

The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-dredge-3.jpg  

The older I get the better I was...

slow
    Ran across these pix in my collection this evening. Both vehicles were recently abandoned.

We ran into the guy who had abandoned the Jeep pickup as he was hiking about three miles down the trail. Apparently the previous night had involved some drunk 4-wheeling on an unfamiliar road.

The skid marks were still fresh and the radio still playing in the Ranger pickup when we came upon it, but a 30 minute search turned up no occupant, so he must have thumbed into town.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-truck1.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    wow, fresh-picked abandonments!

mighty sailin' man
    ^ just add bullet holes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i KNEW something was missing!

mtbr member
    figure i would add to the all the jeeps that are broken down..

'11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That is an amphibious landing craft vehicle from WWII called an "LVT' The track rollers and that round piece are a dead giveaway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-lvt-4_buffalo_8_of_8.jpg  

All vintage all the time. Nothing like a nice chromo frame with some properly adjusted cantilevers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    they were built by a company called FMC which still makes the pea combines that work the fields by my house every summer
    All vintage all the time. Nothing like a nice chromo frame with some properly adjusted cantilevers.

CEO Product Failure
    I viewed all 12 pages and there are a couple missing with national recognition. I have photos of my bike and friends with the first listed below on my hard drive but would have to do some digging.

1. MOAB, UT. Kokopeli entrance to Porcupine Rim. Photo Op #1, there is an old beat down Model T. I've ridden Porc Rim a couple times a year, every year since '05. Each time, that beater is being photographed by like minded mtbr's.

2. Alaska. Don't know this exact location but there was a thread on MTBR some years back about guys who journeyed up to the spot using rafts and Pugsleys. The bus from Into The Wild.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Abandoned = YES!...
    ...Vehicle = Porcelain Bus!...LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-copy-lee-crapper.jpg  

'Tis but a scratch
    In reference to my earlier post and some follow-up guesses that this might be a tank. Here are 4 fresh pictures (of each side). I guess my only reason for being skeptical is the yellow paint. Who in the heck paints a tank school bus yellow? Anyway...here you go...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-dsc03685x.jpg  

The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-dsc03687x.jpg  

The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-dsc03686x.jpg  

The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-dsc03688x.jpg  

'Tis but a scratch

Another odd piece of equipment...

...your guess is as good as mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-dsc03695y.jpg  

The Abandoned Vehicle Thread-dsc03696y.jpg  

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    In reference to my earlier post and some follow-up guesses that this might be a tank. Here are 4 fresh pictures (of each side). I guess my only reason for being skeptical is the yellow paint. Who in the heck paints a tank school bus yellow? Anyway...here you go...
    So I was going to come clean and say, oh, huffster, i was just joshing with you, of course that isn't a tank, it's just some kind of paving equipment. But then, look at all those photos, and then watch Saving Private Ryan. It looks like an amphibious landing craft, albeit fairly small. That ramp is made to drop down so people can jump out, and close up when it is imitating a boat. As far as being yellow, yeah, that is weird. Maybe some kind of tourist company bought it and rode people around in it? Or it was used at a base for training exercises?

http://www.gijoeinformation.com/imag...ing_craft2.jpg
    http://www.amphibiousvehicle.net/amphi/L/LVT-4.jpeg

That other thing is a conveyor belt.

EvilRider
    Oct 2008
    A lot of very cool pictures, who'd of thought that junk could be art !? LOL. Cool to see the Chevy from Millstone Quarry show up a few times....we've all pissed there before !

I am shocked NOT to see the Wise Potato Chip aluminum Grumman box truck complete with the Wise "OWL" still in tact from Exeter, NH not on here !? Next time I'm out there, it is a classic !!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    oh sweet thread, I have one to add

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    same car, different day:

mtbr member
    lol thats crazy nice pics!

mtbr member
    ...your guess is as good as mine.
    looks like a farmers conveyor belt type thing'a'ma'jig
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    I'm not sure why the seat tube has been cut?

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au View Post
    I'm not sure why the seat tube has been cut?
    Because it was easier to cut than the lock was
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast