mtbr member
    Jun 2012

700c Ice tires? Schwalbe, Nokian, something else? Does it matter?

Is any one brand better than another?

Tool
    Although I've only used studded tires in mtb sizes, both Nokian and Schwalbe make great products in that space.

You'll want to make sure the studs have carbide tips. Some brands use steel tips and they wear out quickly. Studs with aluminum bodies are lighter and make a huge difference in the overall tire weight.

Also, you'lll want to put 20 or so easy pavement miles on the tires before doing any hard riding. This helps assure the studs are seated properly and minimizes lost studs.

Also, in case you haven't rode studs on ice before, don't expect ice motorcycle type traction (those guys have gobs of power and spikes, not studs). Studs on ice act quite a bit like rubber on sanded ice - it's still slick and you have to stay more upright than you normally would.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Lots of past talk about spike tires (including DIY ones) in the commuting forum

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    Is any one brand better than another?
    Used to be Nokian hands down...but Schwable has copied very well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    45NRTH is going to offer these this winter.
    45NRTH
    Might be worth check out. I ran the Nokian 29er's last winter and there were great but really heavy.

Frt Range, CO
    I have Kenda Klondikes in 700cx35mm. I have been very happy with them for riding on the street in the worst conditions of ice and snow. I haven't ridden any other road studded tires.

For best traction on an MTB, the Nokian 294 kill it. The grip is nothing short of amazing, I ride 'em as if I'm on on a dry trail in the summer.