Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

650b Fad or not?

9K views 113 replies 40 participants last post by  dirtdan 
#1 · (Edited)
As a business owner I will sell anyone, anything they are willing to buy. I have no problem watching others spend money as they see fit. But I see 650b as a fad. Bikes are like trendy clothes. The manufacturers have to come out with the "next great thing" every few years so they can sell us "something better". Unfortunately, its really not better, its just different. There is no science behind it that says its better, rather its a marketing scheme to get you and me to buy more, by telling us the bike will somehow make us better riders which is a falsehood.

30 years ago there was really just one "mountain bike". Now there are 15 genres of the mountain bike and the water has become muddied to the point that most people don't really even know what they REALLY need for the type of riding they actually do. Study after study, test after test, shows no measurable improvement from a 26 to a 29. Where one has an advantage/disadvantage the other has an advantage/disadvantage so in the end its a moot point. This is the same with 650b, where it will have a slight advantage against the others, it will have a disadvantage some where else which will be the equalizer.

I personally would rather see manufacturers continue to improve upon what we already have, rather than introduce a new platform. But alas, most people will still buy into the fad, and then a couple years later not be happy with the 650 and will go onto the the next fad. The 650b size has been around for a long time — at least 50 years. It was a popular trekking and tandem size in Europe in the 1960s and 1970s, for instance.

It's history repeating itself, its predictable, and therefore is a fad.

I welcome your thoughts and look forward to the discussion.

See less See more
Reactions: mimi1885
#3 · (Edited)
Yep ^^^ just like 29'ers were thought of as a fad 13 years ago. Same with the 26'er they all have their followers and place in the sport. I don't think any of them will be dropped, at least not in the near future. "Run what ya brung" and stop sweating what the competition is using. Besides they have been around long enough that even if all manufacturing stopped, there is enough parts in the marketplace to satisfy the need for many years to come.

#6 ·
BTW. The 650b size has been around for a long time — at least 50 years. It was a popular trekking and tandem size in Europe in the 1960s and 1970s, for instance. So it's not new. Its just back.

#7 ·
BTW. The 650b size has been around for a long time - at least 50 years. It was a popular trekking and tandem size in Europe in the 1960s and 1970s, for instance. So it's not new. Its just back.
True! But in the MTB world it's only been about 10 years. Most any size will work on the pavement.

#11 ·
Love mine. I haven't been on my 26" since I got my 650B a year ago. Nino Schurter seems to like his. Logan Binggeli did OK on his at the Red Bull Rampage.I always think it's funny that some people are self-appointed keepers of the approved wheel size flame. I guess since 29ers caught on, they had to find a new holy grail to hate. Like my kids tell me, haters gonna hate.

#12 ·
I kinda stand on the same side as the OP. 650 wheels have been around for decades. Road trickles down to mtn biking. Argue it all you want. Whats the percentage of 650's on the road?

Remember the 24/26? Suppost to make DH bikes spin up faster in the 90"s. How many
DH bikes are running this today?

How about 69ers? Whats the percentage of those being ridden today? built? sold?

What is the percentage of road bikes with 650 wheels being ridden and sold these days? Who's buying/riding them?

Lets face it. Theres only so many times you can reinvent the wheel.

#13 ·
I kinda stand on the same side as the OP. 650 wheels have been around for decades. Road trickles down to mtn biking. Argue it all you want. Whats the percentage of 650's on the road?

Remember the 24/26? Suppost to make DH bikes spin up faster in the 90"s. How many
DH bikes are running this today?

How about 69ers? Whats the percentage of those being ridden today? built? sold?

What is the percentage of road bikes with 650 wheels being ridden and sold these days? Who's buying/riding them?

Lets face it. Theres only so many times you can reinvent the wheel.
They sell plenty of them in Europe.

#20 ·
Some of the first MT bikes were 650b. 26" wheels were taxed at a lesser rate since they were kid wheels. Seriously! That is why they flourished.

I converted my Prophet to 650b. It is a better bike. I know a few people who ride 650b as well. Definately not a fad.

#22 ·
Each wheel has it's own domain in my opinion. I ride fast XC trails, therefore a wheel size that rolls fast is important to me, so I ride a 29er.

#31 ·
I simply do not get the 650b sizing.
If you don't like the 29er wheel sizing for any of it's supposed advantages, the 650b should be even less appealing. It's less than a 29er.

If 26ers become the minority, it will truly be a sad statement of trendy consumers power over the marketplace.

Why not 32" road bike wheels?

#32 ·
Bottom line it's an oppurtunity for "market" growth.
Having said that a variety of wheels sizes hopefully means greater range of fit options for riders.
I like a larger wheel size but 29' just seems too big for me. I like my 26' but can't help feeling a 27.5 would be a better fit for me and my ridng style.
More wheel sizes gives me more choices and I like that.

#44 ·
Isn't that the truth! So many of my buddies are lusting after fat bikes. More power to 'em, but they just don't appeal to me. Then again, I avoid snow at all costs.

Who gives a crap about what some industry shill is spewing about the latest and greatest in wheel sizes. As others have said, it's not a revolutionary idea or concept. The fact that mountain biking has evolved simply makes them a viable OPTION! It has as much to do with the people behind the scenes than it does all the BS marketing hype. The idea that it will somehow replace existing platforms is ludicrous. It's nothing more that strategic fear mongering in order to sell product.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there are more options. But, we should be careful not to confuse a contemporary wants with traditional needs. My current ride would likely fit the bill for a slight increase in wheel size, but I'll probably wait until more tire options are available...along with wider profile rims. Hopefully, they won't be any heavier. If anything I may just go with a front 27.5, but I certainly won't be buying a brand new bike simply because it's designed around a brand new platform in it's infancy. Most anything can be designed around the existing suspension platforms, anyway. That is where it's at! This whole 27.5 epidemic is quite entertaining on the surface. It speaks to a lazy market! LOL!
Those people usually have some foresight on what's coming next from their companies, so I think there's some value in listening to what they have to say. I'm not saying anyone should just blindly agree with them or believe what they say, but I wouldn't just write them off completely. They have their finger on the pulse of the sport more than most consumers do. I thought it was an interesting video.

Isn't fear mongering a little strong here? Isn't selling more product the goal of any business?

#35 ·
I'm not real deep into the industry side of things...I just like riding my bike.

But, I do listen to some cycling podcast, and on the latest spokesman's roundtable (The Spokesmen Cycling Roundtable Podcast), they talk about this.

Apparently, the cycling industry is about to get deep into 650b. 650b and 29ers are the way forward, and 26 is getting left behind. I'll have to re-listen, but I think they were talking about frame geometries or something.

I'm sure some of the smaller builders will keep doing 26, but apparently the big boys are leaving it behind. FWIW...

but, as I said, I'm just a rider....just passing along what others have said.

This post has been deleted
#38 ·
As a business owner I will sell anyone, anything they are willing to buy. I have no problem watching others spend money as they see fit. But I see 650b as a fad.
You kinda give the answer yourself. People like to blow cash on shiny stuff. You like to give them the opportunity to buy that shiny stuff. Now all you have to do is to guess if enough people think 650b is shiny enough to part with their money and for you to make a shiny profit.

My personal opinion is that wheel size matters squad, but then again I'm not a "flavor of the month" kinda guy.

If I was running a business I would tell people to buy a 26'er because you won't feel any difference anyway and with all the hype people stick to 29'ers and 650b's driving prices up, a 26'er will currently give you more value for your money.

#49 ·
My personal opinion is that wheel size matters squad, but then again I'm not a "flavor of the month" kinda guy..
And you don't sound like a well rounded experienced kinda guy either. Either you've ridden all 3 wheels sizes and know the pluses and minuses of and differences between each, or you have not and are talking out of your ass.

I find it difficult in the extreme to believe that anyone who has ridden all three or even just two out of the three can say with a straight face that wheel size matters squat. You are begging the question how the industry in the last 10 years went from ALL 26'ers to mostly 29'ers. If you think that has to do only with fads and marketing and nothing to do with function then you are in la la land.

As far as the so called "new" middle size wheel, again you and OP can't knock if you haven't tried it. Your SPECULATION that they are just the flavor of the month has ZERO relevance whether there is a valid performance difference over the other two for a specific rider in specific terrain. The market will decide the question.

I have been riding mtbs for over 20 years and know from side pull, v, and disc brakes, and tubed vs. tubeless tires, for example. I am a "does it make my ride more fun" kind if guy. So I try the new or different equipment and judge it on its merits. If it is better than what I have now, I take it. If not, I don't. Very simple. I held off trying 29'ers for way too long and seriously regret the wait.

As to three wheel sizes, having ridden them all, my quiver, so long as my budget allows, will have at least one of each, to be ridden according to what mood and terrain dictate. Such as HT 29'er XC bike, 5" travel 650b trail bike, and 26" fully rigid SS indoor park bike. Those represent a tiny portion of a huge market of possibilities and different bikes for different people and different tasks

#59 · (Edited)
Correct, my business is in a different genre for sure. Not enough money in bikes, especially in my city where there are currently at least 15 shops in my area. However, I did a few years in my LBS while in school, so I know the industry pretty well and am still good friends with the owner and still return to them regularly for my gear.

I started riding in the mountains on my BMX as a kid 25 years ago. I live at 6000' and have an 11,000' mountain in my backyard. I have ridden probably every higher-end bike that's come to market in the last 20 years and built a few hundred new ones along the way. I have seen what worked, works, and what doesn't.

Especially of the OP thinks 650b is just a fad. If his Genius is a 700, why does he ride if he doesn't like it? Or is it a 900?

.....blah, blah, blah....

I'm all over this guy's marketing strategy. Pure, uh, genius.
Incorrect! One of my bikes is Leftied Genius 40 circa 2010. So a couple years before the 650 which are just now starting to ship. I have ridden a few 650's, which is partly why I started this thread. Hopefully I get to test ride the 650 Genius in a couple weeks.

#52 ·
What guys need to understand is that the OP rides a Scott Genius and according to the vid they will be eliminating the 26" lineup.
expensive to transition into
Especially of the OP thinks 650b is just a fad. If his Genius is a 700, why does he ride if he doesn't like it? Or is it a 900?

I would hate to be a newbie coming into his store. Picture a 5'1" woman. She hops onto a size small 29'r. Her toes overlap the front wheel by 3" and she says she feels like she's on a horse. Isn't there something smaller? Yes, but we discontinued the traditional small wheel size you probably rode to class when you were in college. Too bad if you felt comfy on that cuz we no longer sell them. We do have middle size wheel bikes,which should fit you, but they are just a passing fad. So it's your $1500. What do you want, too big and bad fit, or decent fit and passing fad?

I'm all over this guy's marketing strategy. Pure, uh, genius.

#54 ·
I saw a 650 on our monthly group ride and it really got my attention. I never bought into the 29er. I found it ungainly and lacked the deftness of the 26. The 650 looked like it might retain some of that deft quality with the improved roll and contact patch. Make that a carbon frame with carbon 650 wheels....

#55 · (Edited)
And yet, for all the criticism of the cycling industry, I really like the 29 inch wheels. The difference in the ride to me is astounding and I am never going back. 26 inchers now feel like kids bikes. Marketing or not, t29ers are an improvement for me and the way I ride and what I want out of my bikes.

I think 26ers are on the way out for everything but downhill.

It's not just hype and marketing. Sometimes bike companies come up with good ideas.

Seriously, in the cycling market unless you are a hoary old retro-grouch who refuses to give up his vintage Bridgestone MB4, you can easily find whatever you want. It is a buyer's market for most bikes and components and supply always seems to exceed demand. Bike Bling, Cambria, Chain Reaction...I can pretty much find anything I want at any price point from heavily discounted to super-exotic. What's the problem?

#69 ·
26 inchers now feel like kids bikes.
...and that's a bad thing? :lol:

I would argue that's the best thing about 26" bikes. :D

I hope the 650b size wheel comes into the market and stays - even though I will probably never own one.

We all benefit from innovation, even if it is a recycled idea (like the 650b). The more innovation, the more money gets pumped in, the better the bikes in all categories.

Look at the MTB technology that has inspired commuter bikes - whereas before commuter bikes were just modified road or mountain bikes. Now, we have 29'er wheels with fat tires, disc brakes and rangy gearing.

Road bike technology has influenced MTB's in many ways, too.

So, it doesn't matter if 650b is a fad or not - it's pumping in R&D and positive forward movement into the cycling arena that will affect us all for the good.

#56 ·
I'm very curious how many of those (OP included) who are spewing out crap on this thread have actually tried a 650B wheeled bike or 29er for that matter? Lots of arm chair scientist who pass judgement on stuff they've never actually had physical experience with. I say 650B is not a fad, it will be here to stick around, I also agree it could make 26" wheeled bikes the minority as the differences between 650B and 26" are not much, but the positives are enough to make it an improvement.

FYI I ride 29ers, that's it, haven't touched a 26" in 5 years and don't even plan to again, 29ers suit my riding style and their positives far outweigh the small negatives.

I did do a 650B experiment earlier in the year, I ran 2 different 650B tyres on the front of my old 26er Trance and the feeling would make me build it back up again and ride it like that - it got parked because I don't like how 26" wheels ride and handle once I got on 29ers. I definitely felt a nice, but slight increase in how the front rolled over stuff, the little slacker angles also helped I'd imagine. Now on the contrary, I put both tyres on the back of my 29er and to me there was no improvement (I've never had any issue spinning up a 29er like people complain about), traction wasn't as good with the shorter, narrower contact patch, no improvement in handling speed since stays remained the same, so that wheel was scrapped, but the 650B front remains and will build the Trance back up permanently with it and a 650B specific fork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.