Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought View Post
    Not always. Sometimes it's the other way around. Look at disc brakes.

And high performance clinchers, and tubeless tires, and higher cadence/small ratio chainrings, and sloping top tubes/compact geometries, and 1 1/8 (or 1.5) headsets, and tapered steer tubes, and strong rims, and ahead set style (non quill, non threaded) stems, and press fit Bb systems, and dual sided clip less pedal systems, and shoes you can actually walk in, and suspension, and high performance lighting systems, and....

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    me thinks i detect a troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Now that's going to leave a mark.
    ^^ Nah. I do my best to ignore crazy posts (such as b-kul) that erroneously accuse others and stay on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Don't think so, I like mine. Unlike the 29er there's not much to adapt and so far it fits many of the bikes I ride. For the most part the experience has been great and it enhances the riding experience, lots of pros and not as much cons I can see when the time comes to replacing the wheel I'd go 650b.
    ^^ I have had forum discussions with mimi1885 a few times in the past, a few years ago, and find this rider to be well versed in all things mountain bike. Thanks for your input Mimi.
    Last edited by De La Pena; 12-11-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

T.W.O.
    Not always. Sometimes it's the other way around. Look at disc brakes.

I agree with this. 650b is going to grow incredibly in the next 2 years. 26" wheels will soon be in the minority as far as new bikes go, but of course, we'll still see tons of them on the trails,

I think you are on to something here. May be the next wave would be 650b AM HT, that can be double as a fat 26er do it all HT or snow bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I also like to hear what Mimi has to say. He really
    knows about bikes.

T.W.O.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    I simply do not get the 650b sizing.
    If you don't like the 29er wheel sizing for any of it's supposed advantages, the 650b should be even less appealing. It's less than a 29er.

If 26ers become the minority, it will truly be a sad statement of trendy consumers power over the marketplace.

Why not 32" road bike wheels?

mtbr member
    Bottom line it's an oppurtunity for "market" growth.
    Having said that a variety of wheels sizes hopefully means greater range of fit options for riders.
    I like a larger wheel size but 29' just seems too big for me. I like my 26' but can't help feeling a 27.5 would be a better fit for me and my ridng style.
    More wheel sizes gives me more choices and I like that.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I think you are on to something here. May be the next wave would be 650b AM HT, that can be double as a fat 26er do it all HT or snow bike
    Ha! Now you're talkin! I could be into that.

Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    I simply do not get the 650b sizing.
    If you don't like the 29er wheel sizing for any of it's supposed advantages, the 650b should be even less appealing. It's less than a 29er.

If 26ers become the minority, it will truly be a sad statement of trendy consumers power over the marketplace.

Why not 32" road bike wheels?
    Which is precisely why some people like it. Maybe it will be a sad statement for you if (when) 26" wheels become the minority, but for others, it will be a triumph of innovation. Just because you don't get it personally doesn't mean it's without its advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar View Post
    Bottom line it's an oppurtunity for "market" growth.
    Having said that a variety of wheels sizes hopefully means greater range of fit options for riders.
    I like a larger wheel size but 29' just seems too big for me. I like my 26' but can't help feeling a 27.5 would be a better fit for me and my ridng style.
    More wheel sizes gives me more choices and I like that.
    And that's what it's all about. Don't like 650b? Then don't buy one.

However, the writing is on the wall for shorter travel & hardtail 26" bikes, for the most part. Cross-country racing will continue to be dominated by 29ers. Entry level hard tails will likely move to 29ers in the next couple of years as 29" parts become even more accessible and less expensive. People are starting to see that 29" wheels have real benefits for beginner riders. I think that 26" wheels will stick around in longer travel bikes, but 650b bikes will slowly start to push those out as the technology around that wheel size increases.

You guys can decry the "trendiness" of 650b all you want. When I hear what these guys, who are certainly "in the know" are saying, it doesn't sound like a fad to me.

Plays with tools
    The biggest fad in cycling isn't 650b it's fat bikes. Or as I like to call them fad bikes.

mtbr member
    I'm not real deep into the industry side of things...I just like riding my bike.

But, I do listen to some cycling podcast, and on the latest spokesman's roundtable (The Spokesmen Cycling Roundtable Podcast), they talk about this.

Apparently, the cycling industry is about to get deep into 650b. 650b and 29ers are the way forward, and 26 is getting left behind. I'll have to re-listen, but I think they were talking about frame geometries or something.

I'm sure some of the smaller builders will keep doing 26, but apparently the big boys are leaving it behind. FWIW...

but, as I said, I'm just a rider....just passing along what others have said.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Here_and_Gone View Post
    Haha...I'm seriously considering getting a 26" cruiser/park DJ bike and converting it to 24"...along with a shorter crank set.

Yeah, those "old" wheel sizes! LOL!
    ha!

I've been considering at 24" bmx bike for playing around...until this weekend. I rode a Surly pugsley. I now have a new purchasing target

I'm a fan of bike fads

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    A lazy market would just design around existing standards.....

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    As a business owner I will sell anyone, anything they are willing to buy. I have no problem watching others spend money as they see fit. But I see 650b as a fad.
    You kinda give the answer yourself. People like to blow cash on shiny stuff. You like to give them the opportunity to buy that shiny stuff. Now all you have to do is to guess if enough people think 650b is shiny enough to part with their money and for you to make a shiny profit.

My personal opinion is that wheel size matters squad, but then again I'm not a "flavor of the month" kinda guy.

If I was running a business I would tell people to buy a 26'er because you won't feel any difference anyway and with all the hype people stick to 29'ers and 650b's driving prices up, a 26'er will currently give you more value for your money.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    This is a lazy reply.

You are capable of so much more.

Is it 'revolutionary?' NO, they basically invented a pill...
    No, it is a retort pared down to the essence of your assertion....

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    No, it was/is lazy way of securing more clock parts.

It's a complete cycle.
    Haha, I figured you were one of us retarts...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    @ 6bobby9, let me guess. The business you own is not a bike shop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What difference does it make, are you kidding? Our shop is pumped to be buying for ourselves and selling the Rocky Altitude 650b to customers this spring. We see 650b as a shot in the arm of an already healthy mountain bike market. Let the good times roll.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It's actually okay for cycling to be growing. Selling bikes and putting more people on bikes is a good thing. If you don't want to buy anything that's okay too.

If I wasn't excited about mountain bikes I wouldn't bother. People don't work in the cycling industry to get rich.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    The biggest fad in cycling isn't 650b it's fat bikes. Or as I like to call them fad bikes.
    Isn't that the truth! So many of my buddies are lusting after fat bikes. More power to 'em, but they just don't appeal to me. Then again, I avoid snow at all costs.

Who gives a crap about what some industry shill is spewing about the latest and greatest in wheel sizes. As others have said, it's not a revolutionary idea or concept. The fact that mountain biking has evolved simply makes them a viable OPTION! It has as much to do with the people behind the scenes than it does all the BS marketing hype. The idea that it will somehow replace existing platforms is ludicrous. It's nothing more that strategic fear mongering in order to sell product.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there are more options. But, we should be careful not to confuse a contemporary wants with traditional needs. My current ride would likely fit the bill for a slight increase in wheel size, but I'll probably wait until more tire options are available...along with wider profile rims. Hopefully, they won't be any heavier. If anything I may just go with a front 27.5, but I certainly won't be buying a brand new bike simply because it's designed around a brand new platform in it's infancy. Most anything can be designed around the existing suspension platforms, anyway. That is where it's at! This whole 27.5 epidemic is quite entertaining on the surface. It speaks to a lazy market! LOL!
    Those people usually have some foresight on what's coming next from their companies, so I think there's some value in listening to what they have to say. I'm not saying anyone should just blindly agree with them or believe what they say, but I wouldn't just write them off completely. They have their finger on the pulse of the sport more than most consumers do. I thought it was an interesting video.

Isn't fear mongering a little strong here? Isn't selling more product the goal of any business?

mtbr member
    Herein lies the rub, donchathink?

I'll put the video on the cue, just because this has become a somewhat interesting (and civil) discussion.

Thanks.
    I guess I don't understand what you mean by that.

mtbr member
    Consumers are THE primary stakeholder.

Not factory racing teams and their sponsors.
    Consumers don't drive innovation, though. Race teams and their sponsors do.

T.W.O.
    Consumers don't drive innovation, though. Race teams and their sponsors do.
    Yes and no at the same time on both points. Yes, new and proto are somewhat refine by racers/sponsors but once the products come out, consumers vote with their money.

Remember what shimano did with the XTR 960 series, dual control and no trigger shifter. I'm sure SRAM has the series to thank.

Many racers love the rapid rise and dc, consumers disagree, in the end consumers win.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

You guys can decry the "trendiness" of 650b all you want. When I hear what these guys, who are certainly "in the know" are saying, it doesn't sound like a fad to me.

Sounds like a bunch of guys who gets paid to talk bikes. You pay me enough and I'll do the same thing.

Listening to guys who get paid to promote what ever is new isn't the best source of info in my opinion. For me, I could careless what some company man or paid sponsored Pro has to say, it's reading what real mtb enthusiast has to say about a particular part or bike is what counts.

Anyhow, I wish the 650b success but it's not my cup of tea.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post

My personal opinion is that wheel size matters squad, but then again I'm not a "flavor of the month" kinda guy..
    And you don't sound like a well rounded experienced kinda guy either. Either you've ridden all 3 wheels sizes and know the pluses and minuses of and differences between each, or you have not and are talking out of your ass.

I find it difficult in the extreme to believe that anyone who has ridden all three or even just two out of the three can say with a straight face that wheel size matters squat. You are begging the question how the industry in the last 10 years went from ALL 26'ers to mostly 29'ers. If you think that has to do only with fads and marketing and nothing to do with function then you are in la la land.

As far as the so called "new" middle size wheel, again you and OP can't knock if you haven't tried it. Your SPECULATION that they are just the flavor of the month has ZERO relevance whether there is a valid performance difference over the other two for a specific rider in specific terrain. The market will decide the question.

I have been riding mtbs for over 20 years and know from side pull, v, and disc brakes, and tubed vs. tubeless tires, for example. I am a "does it make my ride more fun" kind if guy. So I try the new or different equipment and judge it on its merits. If it is better than what I have now, I take it. If not, I don't. Very simple. I held off trying 29'ers for way too long and seriously regret the wait.

As to three wheel sizes, having ridden them all, my quiver, so long as my budget allows, will have at least one of each, to be ridden according to what mood and terrain dictate. Such as HT 29'er XC bike, 5" travel 650b trail bike, and 26" fully rigid SS indoor park bike. Those represent a tiny portion of a huge market of possibilities and different bikes for different people and different tasks
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I would gladly ride a 650...

...as well as a 26", a 29'er, 20" BMX, dirt jumper, XC, CX, downhill, all-mountain, hardtail, rigid, 1X 8/9/10, single speed, fat bike, fixed gear, trials, or anything else. Aluminum, steel, carbon, bamboo, titanium, scandium... it doesn't matter.

I love it all, fad or not.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast