mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Is 5'7 too short to ride a Large frame Big Hit II?

Hey, everyone! Need some advice here. I just bought a Large frame Specialized Big Hit II. Got a good deal on it via Craigslist and I'll have it on Sunday. Specialized specs say I need to be riding a small or medium size frame. My question: Is a large frame gonna make a significant difference in my riding? Also, are there any modifications I can make to the rig to make it fit better for me? Anyone out there riding a bigger rig than recommended? Look forward to your feedback. -Gabe
    Last edited by Meridian725; 09-07-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Change of description

mtbr member
    Doesnt matter how good a deal it is - that frame is gonna be flat out too big for you. You will be much happier on a medium or even a small frame at 5'7"

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Doesnt matter how good a deal it is - that frame is gonna be flat out too big for you. You will be much happier on a medium or even a small frame at 5'7"
    +1

Sorry to say you made a mistake.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You're asking a question like this AFTER you make the purchase? I smell fail

mtbr member
    Checking your size before you make a purchase, no matter how great a deal you get, is very important. I'm the same height as you, and I wouldn't even consider a large framed anything. Nothing you can do to that bike will make it fit you. If anything, riding it with any serious intent off road (and it is a Big Hit, so I'm assuming you like to go large), may well be dangerous to your health.
    If the parts are well looked after, you could strip them off and sell the frame, and then buy something that will fit you. 2nd option, re-list the bike and buy a complete bike in the correct size.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i'm nearly 5'8" and ride small frames. my konas are 16" and my trek is a 17". you will always be better off buying a slightly small bike and adjusting the controls to suit rather than trying to stretch over a biggun.

think of you balls man

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the feedback, y'all. I've heard of other riders that ride a size bigger with mixed results, so I wasn't sure. Glad I got on here for some clarity. I said "bought" because I committed to the purchase, but fortunately, money has not exchanged hands yet. I'll kill the deal and find a full suspension that fits. I'm sure the seller will understand. It's such an awesome deal, so he won't have too much trouble selling it. Thanks again. I'll update y'all on what I end up with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    all's well that ends well. call him soon and be honest about why you're blowing out the deal. i've had people do similar to me and me likewise. its nice to admit to being foolish and karma will be kind

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Right on. I was totally honest with the seller, and he was more than cool. I ended up putting a down payment on a new Specialized Camber FSR Comp size Small. It fits me like a glove and I can really throw it around. I felt super confident riding it. Thanks again for the feedback, y'all!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice one son. How you enjoying full sus? I've just borked my rigid 69er so have also moved into the 21st century with a kona 2+2

mtbr member
    Good to see you made the right choice, you will enjoy the Camber much more than the Big Hit you were looking at.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!