mtbr member
    Mar 2008

50MPH Electric Bike

I have been researching my new freeride bike build on this forum for awhile now and just found this thread for electric bikes so I will have to post a picture of mine. The bike tops out at over 50mph and has a peak power output of over 13000 watts. It makes a great way to commute to and from work without having to worry about traffic, parking, or fuel costs.

Here is a link to a video of me riding the bike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzvtY5TzqKQ

And here is a link to my website. I documented the entire build of the bike in an ebook I sell online. Helps pay for by bicycle addiction.

http://www.fastelectricbike.com/book.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50MPH Electric Bike-img_3911s.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Spammage asside - $47 ??!!? Really? The typical e-book business model these days says to price the book (very) low to make sales in volume. I know if it was $3 or so, I'd consider it, but....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Spammage asside - $47 ??!!? Really? The typical e-book business model these days says to price the book (very) low to make sales in volume. I know if it was $3 or so, I'd consider it, but....
    Actually you couldn't be more wrong about ebook pricing. The majority of niche market "How to" ebooks sell for $27 to $97 dollars. Considering I spent two years and thousands of dollars researching, testing, building the bike and writing the book I think the price is fare. I have sold several hundred copies and people are very happy with the book.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I guess in niche markets, sales only increase so much as you drop price, eh? I guess I can buy that- computer programming e-books aren't all that cheap, though those are also still priced by publishers who are stuck on older pricing models.
    Still, its simplely to rich for my blood. Its an impressive video, but I'm sure not shelling out near $50 for info I'm not likely to use.
    For folks who can consider the expense, it might be nice to know what the total cost of investment to build a ride like that is as well, before shelling out for the book. And what's the total weight on that desing? My aunt had some e-bikes, and lugging them indoors was a major challenge.
    Also, do you figure a cargo bike could be built up that way? Thinking of the Surly Big Dummy here, or maybe a Yuba Mundo. I'm not sure if they are rated for dual crown forks, though I'd expect the frames are quite strong. Lifting the front end up a few inches isn't gonna change the geometry quite as much as on a bike with a shorter wheelbase. If such a build is possible, it would probably be a much more practical alternative to a car for many people, since it would allow grocery shopping, transport of musical instruments / full size computers, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For folks who can consider the expense, it might be nice to know what the total cost of investment to build a ride like that is as well, before shelling out for the book
    The total cost to build the bike depends on how much range you need and how fast you want to ride since most of the expense is in the battery pack. A rough estimate would be $2000 to $3000 dollars.

And what's the total weight on that desing?
    The bike is pretty heavy at around 100 lbs so you will not want to try and carry it. I park it in my garage at home and in the bike cage at work so I never have to lift it.

Also, do you figure a cargo bike could be built up that way?
    A cargo type bike would work pretty good as it gives you more room to mount batteries and carry extra cargo. As long as you balance the weight distribution of the bike properly it should handle pretty good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Yellow Cornflakes

The concept of a 50 mph, 100lb. "bike" is wrong on too many levels. Especially one that it looks like it has gearing that you can only pedal up to about 5 mph.

Legally it would be considered to be a motorcycle and have to comply to DOT standards, need a VIN#, registration, insurance etc.. I am sure you are getting away with yours for now, many people are and dare I say more power to them. But in order for ebikes to find their place and do any real good they will have to be legally compliant and far less complicated than what your plans entail.
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Legally it would be considered to be a motorcycle and have to comply to DOT standards, need a VIN#, registration, insurance etc.. I am sure you are getting away with yours for now, many people are and dare I say more power to them. But in order for ebikes to find their place and do any real good they will have to be legally compliant and far less complicated than what your plans entail.
    Yes a bike like mine is definitely not for everyone. I wanted to push the limits of what an ebike can do. My goal was to build an environmentally friendly vehicle with the lowest monthly cost (hence a bike instead of a motorcycle frame) but still be able to get to work just as fast or faster than driving my car. The design of my bike isn't that complicated if you follow the instructions and you can always build a scaled down version of the bike if you want something slower and lighter. You could use a small motorcycle frame instead of a bicycle frame to build the bike and then you would have your VIN# and would be able to get insurance for the bike. The only downside to an electric motorcycle is you still have to wait in traffic with everyone else and you can't use any bike lanes or paths.

It sure would be nice if they would raise the speed limits a bit for electric bikes because for me a vehicle that is only capable of 30kph is not a replacement for a car. I guess they don't want people speeding down bike paths with pedestrians on them since it would just a matter of time before someone was injured.

tl1
    Bicyclist

I guess not

Quote Originally Posted by greasypants
    I guess they don't want people speeding down bike paths with pedestrians on them since it would just a matter of time before someone was injured.
    I know I don't particularly want any 50 MPH electric motorcycles barreling down on me while riding on a non-motorized bicycle path or non-motorized off road trail. But then I feel the same way about gasoline powered motorcycles on the same trails. To me, non-motorized trails are a place of refuge from such things.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I know I don't particularly want any 50 MPH electric motorcycles barreling down on me while riding on a non-motorized bicycle path or non-motorized off road trail. But then I feel the same way about gasoline powered motorcycles on the same trails. To me, non-motorized trails are a place of refuge from such things.
    I totally agree. When I do take a bike path I only ride where electric bikes are allowed and I make sure I keep my speed below the legal limit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greasypants
    I totally agree. When I do take a bike path I only ride where electric bikes are allowed and I make sure I keep my speed below the legal limit.
    on most bike commuter trails in CA,(read dmv laws) electric bikes are illegal, some cities may be different though and allow them...I dont know where you are located though