Off the saddle

3M Paint Defender System for frame protection

I saw a commercial for the stuff today and it seems like a good alternative to using helicopter tape. The liquid spray dries into a peelable film. Since it's liquid, you can really get good coverage and hit the hard to reach areas. Anyone try this on their frame?

3M Auto: Products for People Who Love Cars

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Subscribed

gone walk about
    hmmmm cool demo vid.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jizzim View Post
    I saw a commercial for the stuff today and it seems like a good alternative to using helicopter tape. The liquid spray dries into a peelable film. Since it's liquid, you can really get good coverage and hit the hard to reach areas. Anyone try this on their frame?

3M Auto: Products for People Who Love Cars
    That looks really cool. I'd love to try it out. Even better - somebody else try it out and let us know how it works. I wonder if there would be any problem spraying it over decals and then peeling it off.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaM View Post
    That looks really cool. I'd love to try it out. Even better - somebody else try it out and let us know how it works. I wonder if there would be any problem spraying it over decals and then peeling it off.
    yea you try it and i'll watch...lol as long as the decals have a clear coat they should be fine otherwise it may lift them off.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Great idea!

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    My Carbon frame is covered in areas with the 3M vinyl. The stuff is about as good as it gets. Now, I'm loving this spray idea! I have a relatively new car that is a frikkin' rock magnet! The pre-cut 3M vinyls can be a real challenge to get on just right and I'm pretty proficient with it but just haven't gone with it, yet. Thanks to this post, I'll be rocking the spray on version, now...and SOON!
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

No good

It will not peel off after a month of use on a bike..DO NOT spray this SNOT! on your car, dust sticks to it and looks terrible.. tried this on my hardtail, followed 3m directions exactly and this product pretty much takes hours to scratch very small dirty pieces off which can damage the surface.. even tried it 2nd time to give it a chance w/ thicker coat..

This "Paint Defnder" is a bad product for a bike ime.. seems it would be much worse for a car. It just gets thinner over time, and to get it off you have to re-spray another thick coat and cross your fingers that it is thick enough to get a 1" section off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    It will not peel off after a month of use on a bike..DO NOT spray this SNOT! on your car, dust sticks to it and looks terrible.. tried this on my hardtail, followed 3m directions exactly and this product pretty much takes hours to scratch very small dirty pieces off which can damage the surface.. even tried it 2nd time to give it a chance w/ thicker coat..

This "Paint Defnder" is a bad product for a bike ime.. seems it would be much worse for a car. It just gets thinner over time, and to get it off you have to re-spray another thick coat and cross your fingers that it is thick enough to get a 1" section off.
    Odd. 3M stuff is usually very good?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Odd. 3M stuff is usually very good?
    Exactly 3M makes top notch products > usually. Thanks Deerhill for sharing your experience with it. I "was" about to go get some until I saw your post.
    ---------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    It seems like a good idea but I can see why you might have problems. If you don't get the wax on evenly, or if there are rough areas on the paint, I can see the product sticking to the paint more firmly than you might like.

mtbr member
    Plastidip spray has the same effects for its 'easy remove'. I used to have to take it off wheels all the time in my repaint business. It was annoying enough that we had to charge extra.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    It seems like a good idea but I can see why you might have problems. If you don't get the wax on evenly, or if there are rough areas on the paint, I can see the product sticking to the paint more firmly than you might like.
    Thought it was odd too, that's why I gave it a 2nd go. Preserving the original finish is a great idea and they have other great products, but this finish is awful after short time, especially in dry climates. Prep is almost everything.. removing the product is not as they claim

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    In doing quite a bit of reading on the subject, there are many very successful users. It's pretty easy to find the tips and tricks for a good job on a car. Some of the more prevalent, clay bar the finish prior to wax application. Tape off area with double layer exactly as they show to get a defined edge that will later allow lifting for removal. Apply in garage to reduce airborne particulates. Use the spray handle, start at top of work and work down due to drips. Don't let off nozzle on sweeps (drips), multiple thinner layers to build it up....just to name a few of a myriad.

I'm going for it soon. I'll throw the $30 bucks at it. It's worth a try.

Life Is Short
    This has nothing to do with that product, but the only way to avoid scratches, little paint chips and all that is to bust down (ppl with only aluminum frames), strip everything off your bike and get it powder coated. Pictured: I've had this Lenz since 2012 and the only cosmetic blem is the sticker that says PBJ on the top tube its peeling off from a lock cable that rubs up against it on my car rack. Big blue has been to Mammoth, Bear and other places and there aren't any paint chips on her at all. Its kind of amazing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3M Paint Defender System for frame protection-p5pb12886030.jpg  

Ride More, Eat More

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Bought three cans when I gave it a try. I opened each box to find one had leaked all the propellant out and one was oozing product from the nozzle and only had half the propellant.

For me, the draw to this was their removal process showing it all peel off quickly as a strongly bonded sheet... looked like a clear sticker in their advertisement, but that video shows a fresh glossy coat being peeled off.

After summer sun, dust, rinse, repeats it's a porous matte finish (didn't care how it started to look dirty on the bike). It's not bonded together strong enough as a "sheet" so it breaks appart and takes forever to remove, not really "stuck" to the wax/finish underneath either.