Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fat arse racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18

    38 tooth rear sprocket feed back required ?

    i found this on the 'bay' and was wondering if anyone has used one, or is using one? are they any good? does it work ? my running gear is right for the job as it is pretty specific about that. it looks good and well made from what i can see, and i intend to use it for my 1x9 set up !

    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....STRK:MESELX:IT

  2. #2
    conjoinicorned
    Reputation: ferday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,530
    looks nice, and the instructions are pretty clear and to the point.

    try one out, and post detailed ride reports here!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

  3. #3
    Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Reputation: nuck_chorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,812
    that looks like a joke, one question, why? I dont see the need for a cog that big unless you ran a single 50 t up in front
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fat arse racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    looks nice, and the instructions are pretty clear and to the point.

    try one out, and post detailed ride reports here!


    it's in the post.....should hear from me in the next few days...and maybe some pics

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    that looks like a joke, one question, why? I dont see the need for a cog that big unless you ran a single 50 t up in front
    It is for geared bikes, not singlespeeds. I use the Shimano 12-36 on my 32t 1x9 29er. This provides a really nice gear for very long, steep climbs. 38 on the back would be insane

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fat arse racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlh
    It is for geared bikes, not singlespeeds. I use the Shimano 12-36 on my 32t 1x9 29er. This provides a really nice gear for very long, steep climbs. 38 on the back would be insane

    i've been running the exact same set-up as you and to be truthful, it has done all i have asked......i think the 12-36 cassette should have been released years ago!......why should we wait until the big guys release new stuff when others are thinking outside of the box? the thought of running a 33t or 34t up front and an 11-38 cassette out back, has got my curiosity juices running overtime.....stay tuned for updates!

  7. #7
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,578
    Actually they were... in the 80s Suntour had 6 speed freewheels with 36 and 38T granny cogs. Shimano's 7 speed HG cassette offerings in the early 90s included a 13-34 even up to the Deore XT HG90 level. The first 8speed XTR came two ways... 12-28 and 12-32... really... the 34T largest cog we've had the past few years on 9 speed cassettes is just a return to what we had on seven speeds... and the new 36s are just what we used to use withsix speeds.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    269
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

    My life is better than your vacation.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fat arse racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion

    i have come across this item before....but now they make a 36t as a standard with shimano and sram cassettes there is not much use in purchasing this item..or is there?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fat arse racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Actually they were... in the 80s Suntour had 6 speed freewheels with 36 and 38T granny cogs. Shimano's 7 speed HG cassette offerings in the early 90s included a 13-34 even up to the Deore XT HG90 level. The first 8speed XTR came two ways... 12-28 and 12-32... really... the 34T largest cog we've had the past few years on 9 speed cassettes is just a return to what we had on seven speeds... and the new 36s are just what we used to use withsix speeds.

    that's fascinating........why did they stop ? the reason i don't go 2x9 is because i would constantly be changing between 29t and 42t for where i ride...i think i could even live with 6 speed rear ! 38-32-26-21-15-11 .... just think of the weight you would save as well ! i feel a new marketing campaign coming on !

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    269
    the stock one from shimano is heavy, and sram is 10 speed only. (I think)

    this gives you a 36 tooth, that you can add to a already light 32 or 34 T cassette.
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

    My life is better than your vacation.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    139
    Any review on this yet? I'd like to try it for my 1x9 setup here in the North East.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fat arse racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18

    ok...here we go......

    ok...here we go......

    the good bits... it works.....and works quite well......i've used it for my everyday riding and enduro races with no problems. it has no flex when working it hard...when running it 1x9 it gives a great spread of gears.( depending on what front ring you use of course! me 32T ). if your a bit of cycling 'nut' like myself, you may find a simple happy medium with this set up....for some reason it 's more relaxing to ride and not worry about the chain line !!!! (i'm not going single speed yet !) ......it matches the 6 inch rotor on the other side just nicely !!!

    the not so good bits...no ten speed version ...yet!.... my rear cassette is a xt 34-11...so i dropped the 13 off .....38-11 cassette...there is a fairly large gap between the 15 and 11 cogs so i am experimenting with 38-12 set-up using a 12 cog locking ring together with a 33T up front...so far so good...especially with the enduro races !!! ...shifting is surprisingly smooth but not as smooth as all the other gears....there is some drag with all 38 teeth....it 's a little heavy...


    conclusion.......until the big guys and girls make a 38 tooth,( hello out there !!! ) it's our only choice!!! it suit's my riding perfectly (i'm into 'consistency' ) i have used all types of '36' tooth cassette versions but find the 38 sits perfectly between low gears for climbing, and a higher top speed . the 36 tooth cassette was always a compromise for me between high and low gearing .....you could have one, but not the other !!!! i was thinking of making a video if there is enough interest?


    gearing - with 33T up front and 38T out back = 22T front and 25T out back
    with 33T up front and 11T out back = 42T front and 14T out back

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    139
    Thanks for the detail fat arse (I mean that with the ut-most respect ). I'm going to take a chance on this. How about durability. How many miles have you put on it. Does the plastic spacer slip or move around at all?

    Thanks again.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fat arse racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by jtforester
    Thanks for the detail fat arse (I mean that with the ut-most respect ). I'm going to take a chance on this. How about durability. How many miles have you put on it. Does the plastic spacer slip or move around at all?

    Thanks again.

    no offence taken..!!!....when the 38 tooth was fist installed, it was with a new cassette ,chain and front chain ring...the chain and cassette were replaced @ 650 miles and now im about to replace them again @ 650 miles along with the front ring this time !!!
    the 38 tooth is only just starting to show signs of wear, so @ a guess i would say it should last me about 2000 miles maybe more ( it's made of stainless steel, i think ! ), the spacer is also splined just like the sprocket so it doesn't 'slip' and it's not plastic ..it's aluminium....and its a funky shape !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 38 tooth rear sprocket feed back required ?-dscf2571.jpg  

    38 tooth rear sprocket feed back required ?-dscf2572.jpg  


  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by fat arse racing
    that's fascinating........why did they stop ? the reason i don't go 2x9 is because i would constantly be changing between 29t and 42t for where i ride...i think i could even live with 6 speed rear ! 38-32-26-21-15-11 .... just think of the weight you would save as well ! i feel a new marketing campaign coming on !
    Compact Drive cranksets. The old 6-speed cassettes were NEVER matched to a 20T chainring. I forget what the smallest chainring was (24 maybe?), but the final gearing of a 6-speed was still higher than a "modern" drivetrain.

    6-speeds are making a comeback, though. Like the modified one from Jeff Jones at the bottom of the page...

    http://jonesbikes.com/shop.html

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fat arse racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18
    interesting.....im trying a 9 speed rear 38-13 at the moment...i find that i keep getting 'stuff' (mud, grass, sand) in the base of my 11 and 12 tooth rear cogs which causes the chain to skip all the bloody time!!!!..so far no problem with the 13, but of course it limits my range of gears. Nirvana is close ...i just know it!!!!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,492
    Thats news to me, Suntour making a 36-38t rear cog. I have beeen in the industry pretty much since the beginning of the modern mountain bike came into existance(1981-1982) and have never heard or seen this cog. Suntour was the first to go the opposite, compact drivetrains, back in 1990-91, maybe it did exist, but I never heard of it.
    As far as a 38t cassette is concerned, why not just go with a readily avalible 11-36 cassette from SRAM or Shimano and be done with it, at least you'll know that the shifting would have been engineered for whatever drivetrain your using, plus, unless your using a SRAM or Shimano 10 speed derailluer designed for running a 36t, a 38t most likely will not work with older 9 speed der., that have a max 34t .

  19. #19
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,974
    Doesn't the 12-36T Shimano 9spd cassette already come with the red flag of needing to use it with their boat anchor steel freehub body hubs because there's enough torque applied to blow up other lighter Shimano offerings? What kind of damage could a 38T cassette cog do to a freehub? You'd sure want to find a hub with lots of pawls to reduce the torque on any one of them.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,143
    I had a Actiontec 38 given to me, which I mounted up. Shifting was no problem and plenty of clearance for the upper pulley, but when I am in the gear a get a rumbling sound from the chain deflecting off the teeth of the cog. I think it has to do with the thickness an profile of the teeth combined with the chainline. Any problems like this with the Aussie built 38tooth?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi
    I had a Actiontec 38 given to me, which I mounted up. Shifting was no problem and plenty of clearance for the upper pulley, but when I am in the gear a get a rumbling sound from the chain deflecting off the teeth of the cog. I think it has to do with the thickness an profile of the teeth combined with the chainline. Any problems like this with the Aussie built 38tooth?
    That sounds like your B-tension screw is too loose, making the pulley run too close to the larger cog. Give it a few good turns and let us know.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fat arse racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18
    As i have never used the actiontec version i can't comment on it's performance. but what i can say is that, this version is slightly more audible than the other sprockets..(38 teeth is a lot of chain contact!)..but IMO it doesn't make enough noise to distract me from my riding!

    As for the other comment about 'hub life'...i don't think the people selling the '38 tooth sprocket' intend it to be used with a small front chain ring, otherwise you would just keep you're triple system up front and use a standard 34 or 36 cassette.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    139
    I ordered one of the 38T Ausie sprockets from eBay and expect to get it this week. The seller was a little late with the shipping and sent me an email telling me that he was sending 2 kits instead of 1. He seems to be a pretty honorable dude.

    Fat Arse,

    Thanks for uploading some pics. Are you using an XT cassette? Did you have to file down any of the pins like it suggests in the instructions?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,143
    Quote Originally Posted by kestrel242
    That sounds like your B-tension screw is too loose, making the pulley run too close to the larger cog. Give it a few good turns and let us know.
    The B-tension is not the problem. There is plenty of clearance. Its the combo of the chain line and teeth of the cog being a bit wider then the steel teeth of the shimano cassette. The actiontec cog doesn't have a bevel on the top of their teeth, so it catches the chain a little bit. With each ride the sound/sensation gets less and less, so maybe everything just needs to bed in.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fat arse racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18

    38 tooth sprocket / deadly ninja star...ha ya

    Quote Originally Posted by jtforester
    I ordered one of the 38T Ausie sprockets from eBay and expect to get it this week. The seller was a little late with the shipping and sent me an email telling me that he was sending 2 kits instead of 1. He seems to be a pretty honorable dude.

    Fat Arse,

    Thanks for uploading some pics. Are you using an XT cassette? Did you have to file down any of the pins like it suggests in the instructions?
    wen't for a ride last, night and payed alot of attention to the 'sounds of the 38 tooth sprocket'.
    it is lovely and smooth when spinning on 'casual' gradients and when the track turns super steep it is certainly more audible but doesn't detract from it's perfomance...having said that , i think it must be bedding in or something because it seems to be changing gears smoother OR im learning to change gear into it more effeciently....as for the cassette mods, i did have to file (i used a grinder, it's heaps quicker ) the XT pins shorter but not flush with the cassette...i left a little 'meat' but enough clearence for the sprocket.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •