Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    here is a picture of the 36"behind my wife's element for size comparison and of 1 of 2 36" high wheels I have
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart-bwb-behind-honda.jpg  

32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart-hw-rh.jpg  

mtbr member
    How freakin ridiculous...................
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

green monster

I have one of these 32 inchers and it rocks. It's light and big and fun to ride. I peeled off all the stickers and my favorite local mechanic rebuilt the rear hub (the guys at walmart crushed a bearing during assembly) Now it is smooth and quiet like a cat in the night.
    The paint is durable, the full fenders awesome. Thinking about getting a banana seat, though the stock one is great. Best 200 bucks I've spent.
    This monster bike is a real head turner. Get one before I buy them all and start a rental fleet!!!

mtbr member
    I saw these 32ers this week. Very unusual, but I like cruisers, so I think it's neat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I was at walmart today (I only go a couple of time a year) and was disappointed to not see any there 32ers there. I was surprised to see them selling 29er and 26er mtn tires for almost $30 . They were branded "Bell" but actually looked like decent tires (felt pretty light), but I just don't expect to see people paying that for a tire at walmart.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jnl1105 View Post
    here is a picture of the 36"behind my wife's element for size comparison and of 1 of 2 36" high wheels I have
    Watch the exhaust on those tires. I've seen melted tires from a situation much like yours before!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Can't haul it with the front tire on it driveways would ruin a good weekend

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    I was surprised to see them selling 29er and 26er mtn tires
    the 29er mtb tire is the cst caballero with bell branding. discussed ad nauseum somewhere around here. i bought one and it works fine to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Seriously man, those 32 inch bikes are great. For two hundred bucks you can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I bought one, wheels are already broken down, building them up this next week...

Tire and Tube are made in China by Excel, 32 x 2.125, weight is 1400gm.

Rim is double walled, no eyelits, ~35mm wide, weight is 800gm, semi gloss black paint.

Mine is going on a unicycle

Now what to do with the rest of the bike...

Recovering couch patato
    32" Genesis Men's Beach Cruiser Bike, Red: Bikes & Riding Toys : Walmart.com

@Nurse Ben, PLEASE offer details on the rim diameter?
    Thanks already for the other info though.

Recovering couch patato
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    @Nurse Ben, PLEASE offer details on the rim diameter?
    Thanks already for the other info though.
    The rims are at a buddies getting a custom build (36spokes on 48 holes), so I can't give the numbers right now.

The onlly tire available is the one that comes with the wheel, so do you have some grand plan to make a tire?

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    The rims are at a buddies getting a custom build (36spokes on 48 holes), so I can't give the numbers right now.

The onlly tire available is the one that comes with the wheel, so do you have some grand plan to make a tire?
    I always have grand plans. They usually come to fruition eventually (36" MTB, long offset suspension forks, 29x3.0), albeit by more capable mens' hands.

I long ago proposed on the internation interwebs the 698mm standard for what would be called 32" MTB's. Just 3" = 76mm larger than what we call 700c/622/28"/29". And nicely 3" smaller than 36", which I like, but see as slightly clumsy for XC (although I still want one, for hard commuting and boundary-breaking XC).

It's obvious that the technology is there to make proper 32" tires, for XC. Walt is doing the 36", he will succeed. It will not be heavy. These Walmart tires are like 1250g, but the mold obviously exists, better tires can be made with better money.

Rims are just not that much of a challenge. Plenty of 35mm designs out there that work fine for light FR duty, so in 32" should still be OK for heavy XC. Especially if the tire to go on it doesn't end up a skinny 2.1" type. Just a really good 2.4 should be mighty nice.
    Imagine a 32x2.4" Racing Ralph. 720g or thereabouts that would be. No more no less. On a 35mm rim that is a 12% larger version of a 600g rim, thus 672g. Tell me how that would ride. We've all tried 29" with 500g rims and 800g tires. Same difference. And after decades of bikucation, we realize that size doesn't matter for acceleration, just weight (a tiny bit).
    Anyway, for tire height goes: 26" +10% = 29" + 10% = 32".

32" could have a 2.5kg steel frame, no problem. Or a 1.3kg carbon, also no problem.
    Fork, just use a 29" fork with at least 51mm offset. Don't suspension corrrect unless you have good reason to. 32" is to 29" what 29" is to 26". Really, a good 29"-level carbon fork, not too long and with good offset, will do.
    The 32"er will promote 4 extra spokes per wheel, and modern wider hub standards. All those are well stocked now (not when I first called for 32").
    All in all, it will not be a heavy bike. It will track like mad, cross sand traps even better than 29", rivalling 29+. Corner as on rails. Smoothen trails like a 29"er on decent pavement.
    It will fit rider size L and up just fine. No clumsiness. Just the feel of an M rider on a 29"er, and those tend to grin well and wide.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Cloxxki,

I always respect all the info you post and love to read it over, as it tells quite a story. Do you feel with all these bigger rims/tires the crank length should lengthen also. I feel turning more mass, requires a a longer lever. but how do we adapt as humans our legs can't get longer or can they?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'd like to see someone with 30"+ carving it up on the trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm riding one of Walt's 36er tires, it's a very good tire, no
    complaints, it is so much better than Nimbus and Coker tires.

The 32" is a nice fit, the "missing link", not sure how many folks
    will appreciate that wheel size on a bike, but for unicycling it would
    be a great addition.

For unis, we don't really have gears, so we choose our wheel size
    based on expected conditions. A 29er is good for technical trails, but
    can be a bit slow on smoother stuff, while a 36er is harder to ride on
    tech stuff, also hard to climb on the steeps, but for smooth stuff it
    is fast. A 32" would bridge the gap.

I'm working on getting a Knard 29 x 3" for DH/Tech Muni.

A true 32" MTB rim/tire woudl be ground breaking, I'm hoping that
    Nimbus will make it happen, Josh at UDC USA has his 32" "walmart
    wheel" up and running, he said it was pretty good as it is, though the
    rim could be better. Mine should be up and riding for this coming
    weekend

FYI: The 32" Walmart tires weighed in at 1507 and 1560gm, made in China by a company that does not seem to well known, so though the mold exists, it would be anywhere; I'm thinking of a small fishing village on the Yangtze

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Do you feel with all these bigger rims/tires the crank length should lengthen also. I feel turning more mass, requires a a longer lever. but how do we adapt as humans our legs can't get longer or can they?
    Unicyclists routinely adjust crank length depending on use, some cranks are configured with dual holes (165/137, 150/125) so they can be adjusted on the fly. There's a ton of discussion/disagreement on this topic, suffice to say, some unicyclists can spin some mighty short cranks (110) with a mighty big wheel (36")!

I have run cranks as long as 180 (Truvatis) on my 36er and 170's on my 29er. Currently I run 165's on 29 x 2.4 and 36 x 2.25, and 170's on a 26 x 4". I have considered going back to a longer crank on the 36er in order to get more leverage, but it seems that I expend more energy turning a bigger circle and it takes longer to get into the "sweet spot".

Having been a biker long before I was a unicyclists, I got used to running 175's on everything. Now that I ride unicycles I am begining to wonder if bikers are missing out on the advantages of spinning a smaller crank. I noticed a huge difference in the fluidity of my spin when I went from a 165mm down to a 150mm; it felt more flowy and natural. On a bike, since you have the advantage of gearing, a shorter crank might help reduce knee strain and be more efficient for certain types of riding (Endurance racing, SC, recreational).

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    "For riders 5'7" and up . . . WAY UP!"

Ha ha ha ha!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Can't be bothered to read 13 pages (and I need posts anyway to post images and links)

is it really 32" or just a 622/700c/29er measured to the diameter of the tire instead of the rim?

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Cloxxki,

I always respect all the info you post and love to read it over, as it tells quite a story. Do you feel with all these bigger rims/tires the crank length should lengthen also. I feel turning more mass, requires a a longer lever. but how do we adapt as humans our legs can't get longer or can they?
    Thanks, all kinds of respect returned to trail builders globally :-)

I my opinion, mass is irrelevant. People like to think about wheels as the mass-defining bike parts. They're not.
    1 - Weigh your bike
    2 - Add weight of your tires, tubes, and rims.
    3 - Divide the latter by the former and multiply by 100%
    4- Divide mass found at 2 by the sum of dripping wet rider and bike, multiply by 100%

You now have the percentage the outer mass of your wheels offers towards all of the mass you'll be pedaling.

Crank length is 100% dependent on the rider him/herself. Riding style, and especially: riding experience. You can go from one crank length to the other. Well, most people can't. If you have overly long or short cranks before, going more towards your opimum "may" help you already the first ride. In most cases, you need to befriend the new length, and that's like being marrried to a person your parents choose for you. It takes time, but eventually it will work out (not my personal opinion, but heard it a lot).

See, when going from 26"to 29", rotating wheel mass was increase by a whopping 10%. Over the total mass, that's exactly zilch.
    I found that I could ride clear of the field from the starting line of mtb races just fine, and I was the only 29" rider there. Whichever rolling resitance advantage you contribute to 10% larger wheels, it will out-weigh any additional rotation mass. At least on the scale that is still somewhat pratical for a bike to actually be ridden.

Going from a svelt 10kg rigid 29"er to a maybe 10.4-10.5kg 32"er, that's not going to slow you down. It's going to make you faster, in all respects apart from really slow, really steep climbing on really smooth surface.
    Bike fanatic logic doesn't need to deal with laws of physics. Reality, does.

If you live in a world where you worry about adding less weight to your bike's rotational weight than the last burger you ate did to your stomach, you have few things to worry about. Look down, at those well-trained legs. Don't think they can easily propel a couple ounces of wheel around? They could already do it just fine with a whole man sitting on the bike.
    Sure, big wheels feel slow. But you still end up at the first corner first, and that's what counts.

figure out how close you are to ideal crank length. Be aware of the percental difference between the hard to find 170 and 180mm bottom and top of the market. Compare that to the typical range of rider (inseam) height between S and XL riders. We are basically all the sole geometric variable on the bike. All bikes have pretty much fixed crank lengths, our legs dedice whether they're long or short. Few are really close to the mid range.
    Cranklength logic by manufacturers is stupid, and keeps the riders stupid. All for cost reduction.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by IthaDan View Post
    Can't be bothered to read 13 pages (and I need posts anyway to post images and links)

is it really 32" or just a 622/700c/29er measured to the diameter of the tire instead of the rim?
    No-one will measure and tell, so far. It looks like the rims really are significantly bigger than 29" though. And by significant, I mean like twice the indifference between 650B and 26" :-)
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Left to right: 29 x 2.4 Hans Dampf, 32 x 2.125 Super Cruiser, 36 x 2.25 Prototype

The 32" is not a true 32" as you can see from the comparison, though it is bigger than a 29er (700c). I did a quick rim measurement and the diameter of the 32" is ~ 27.25", in comparision the 36" is ~31.5 and the 29" is ~25". I wish it were closer to being midway between the two, but beggars can't be choosers.

The rim is 48h matted to a 36h hub with a 4x lace by Josh at Unicycle.Com

It rides nice for a cruiser tire

Maybe when Walt and Matt are done with the 36er tire project they'll turn their eyes toward developing an entirely new wheel standard!!

Titanium junkie
    Get off fuker!!!!! ^^^
    Sorry, there was an add above my post last night
    that has been removed, thanks mod's.
    Last edited by Loudviking; 09-02-2012 at 06:50 AM.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

Weekend Warrior
    I have a GENESIS helmet, its the only helmet that would fit my head nice and proper... tried a gazillion helmets at bike shop, nothing else fitted like Genesis... and the helmet costs me like $25 bucks... best investment ever...
    Photographer & Weekend Warrior.
    My Website
    My Endomondo

My Cycling Deals Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    When i saw this, i went right to walmart......they did not have any.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah, I'm thinkin so too. I'd like to add this Super 32 to my big wheel bike collection. I already have a 29er and 36er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    What is the B.S.D?
    I haven't actually had the pleasure of seeing one of these bad boys yet so I'm just guessing here...I'm utilizing the fat tire concept of the 622 BSD for 29ers and I'm going to say the BSD for these bad boys is likely 698. The approximate standard measurement of the 622 wheel equals about 24.5 inches. It is likely that the BSD standard measurement for a 32 inch wheel would be 27.5 inches (makes sense since 32 is 3 more than 29...right?) I converted 698 mm into inches by dividing it by 25.4 and got roughly 27.5 inches. So again, I'm not certain of this because I haven't seen these in stores yet, but I would bet the BSD is pretty close to 698. I don't know if the tires would say or not. Most tires do, but some tires don't. I have a 36 inch cruiser from Coker that only gives the tire size of 36 X 2 1/4 and that it's a 4 ply tire...nothing more. Incidentally, the coker 36 inch (and at this time ALL 36 inch rims) has a BSD of 787 in case you or anyone else is curious which is roughly 31 inches.

I actually sent an email to Kent Bicycles asking about the Super 32 Cruisers and they replied saying that Wal Mart will infact be carrying these in stores again in the future. So far I haven't seen any, but I keep checking. I am thinking probably closer to the holiday season possibly.

Hope this helps a little.
    Last edited by Monster36er; 09-02-2012 at 09:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    I thought they would look weird but when you posted a picture, they really did not look very different from a 29" bike.
    Pictures rarely do the real thing justice. Before I got my Monster Cruiser 36er I had seen pictures on line of other fabricated 36ers standing next to 29ers and it didn't look like anything really. Then when I order my cruiser...and it actually had to come in TWO boxes because of it's size, I was made a believer. When I first opened the box containing the wheels I stared in awe for about 5 minutes because I couldn't believe how massive those 36 inch wheels and tires were. After I got the bike assembled I put it up to my 29er and that 7 inch size difference was REALLY noticeable.

A 32 inch wheel might not stack up against a 29er that much just because it's only 3 inches...it would be like comparing a 29er to a 26er. But a 32er compared to a 24er or a 26er, you would definitely see the difference in person.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBuddy View Post
    How do you get tires or tubes for this monster?
    That's a very good question. I imagine you would have to contact the company directly. I have a similar problem with my Monster Cruiser 36er. 36 inch tires aren't readily available on the market to just walk into any ole bike shop and by them. Fortunately, the concept of the Monster Cruiser was built off of the 36 inch big wheel unicycle (essentially it is built with two unicycle wheels). Unicycle.com actually carries these replacement parts for the unicycles that will work for my cruiser, tires, tubes, and even rims. Unfortunately they aren't cheap. The rims are about $130, the tubes about $38 and the tires run $82. But at least they are available through unicycle.com

Unfortunately I do not know of any 32 inch unicycles and I know that unicycle.com doesn't have anything in that size. One concept to understand about this 32 inch bike is that it is fairly new and you own one at your own risk. If you need a new tube, blow a tire, or bust a rim, you may not be able to find a readily able replacement just yet. Another issue I noticed (because I like to tinker with bikes and customize them) from this picture you posted is that the rims are 48 spoke. I was considering getting one of these and gearing it up. If it had 36 spoke rims, that would be a much easier thing to do. I could just get drum hubs and everything would be awesomeness. But with no supports for disc brake compatibility, and it doesn't look like the rims have a decent enough braking surface to do rim brakes, I'm limited on what I could do without having to resort to a lot of expensive modifications. I guess I'll have my work cut out for me when and IF I can ever get one of these.

Thanks for posting these pictures. I was unaware that 32 inch bicycles existed until I came across this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by assassin346 View Post
    When i saw this, i went right to walmart......they did not have any.
    I actually emailed Kent Bicycles, the company behind these monster bicycles. They said that Wal Mart will be carrying them in the future but could not give me a definitive time frame. As bicycles are typically a favorite Christmas gift, I'd look for them a little more toward the holiday season. I check every time I go to Wal Mart just in case.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Monster36er:

On my 36er it looks like nothing special by its self mine is more of a larger then scale..seat (14" wide), stand over height, handlebar size, all of it make it look normal... until stood beside a 26". Mine comes in a single box.

I also have the kent made onyx 29er beach cruiser and it also runs the stupid 48 straight spoke "deep v" wheels. But I had the misfortune of the coaster brake not being smooth and clunky when free-wheelin. Called Kent found that the entire wheel with coaster brake etc... was $30 shipped. so prices appear to be really inexpensive. (by the way the free wheel smoothed out when the guys at the shopped started riding it around for a couple of days, it broke right in LOL)

I also wish they were more normal spoked as I would love t do a multi-speed in one of these.
    I am wondering if a fsa Metropolis (if i remember the name and model correctly) 2 speed crank would be the way to go.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jnl1105 View Post
    Monster36er:

On my 36er it looks like nothing special by its self mine is more of a larger then scale..seat (14" wide), stand over height, handlebar size, all of it make it look normal... until stood beside a 26". Mine comes in a single box.

I also have the kent made onyx 29er beach cruiser and it also runs the stupid 48 straight spoke "deep v" wheels. But I had the misfortune of the coaster brake not being smooth and clunky when free-wheelin. Called Kent found that the entire wheel with coaster brake etc... was $30 shipped. so prices appear to be really inexpensive. (by the way the free wheel smoothed out when the guys at the shopped started riding it around for a couple of days, it broke right in LOL)

I also wish they were more normal spoked as I would love t do a multi-speed in one of these.
    I am wondering if a fsa Metropolis (if i remember the name and model correctly) 2 speed crank would be the way to go.....
    What brand is your 36er? Mine is a Coker Monster Cruiser. It was originally a 3 speed with coaster brake when I first assembled it. But when I couldn't climb even the smallest grade hill in first gear without killing myself, I changed it out for a dual drive hub and turned it into a 27 speed. I then had issues with the gearing ratio still being too high. I could climb mild to moderate hills in 1st gear, but steep hills were so much of a challenge it made more sense to just walk it up the hill. Unfortunately 27th gear was so high that I could barely pedal. The best I did with that set up was about 30 mph in 23rd gear. Currently my cruiser is disassembled and boxed back up until such a time that I can reconfigure the proper gearing ratios and order all the parts I need to rebuild it. I've even considered putting a front wheel motor on it.

Here is a picture of my cruiser with the dual drive hub setup. Would love to see a picture of your 36er.

Originally I wanted to go with a 14 Speed Rohloff hub but the Rohloff hubs are only 32 hole and there are not yet any 787 mm rims with 32 hole drilling. I could have pulled it off on a 48 hole rim (just leaving out a hole after every two to lace a 32h hub to a 48h rim), but unfortunately unicycle.com doesn't appear to carry the 787 mm rims in 48h anymore. 48 hole wheels can really complicate things because the hubs and rims are not as readily available for all bicycle setups. I would love to have 48 spoke wheels on my 36er just for stability reasons because the rims are so big...but I have found that the 36 spoke setup works nicely provided the wheel is built properly.

When I actually upgraded to the dual drive hub I ended up having to build the wheels myself. The bike came with 13g spokes but the SRAM hub won't accept anything larger than 14g so I had to order 362mm 14g spokes from unicycle.com which fortunately were just the right length for my set up. I rebuilt front and rear with 14g spokes. I did it myself because none of the bicycle shops in town could do it for me. Three of them laughed at me when I told them what I wanted them to do...and with what size wheels, and one of them just gave me an honest answer that they did not deal with unicycle wheels about 29 inch and therefore did not have the right size truing stand with which to build suck large rims and encouraged me to check out tutorials online about wheel building. Surprisingly I built them nice and tight and as straight as a professional lace job...and I've never built a wheel in my life! The modifications I plan to make, however, might see me having to either trim my own spokes down or see if the bicycle shop can assist me with that project.
    Last edited by Monster36er; 09-02-2012 at 11:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IthaDan View Post

I have not have the good fortune of seeing this bike yet. However, I can pretty well assure you it isn't just a 700c rim. The only way to accomplish a tire even close to 32 inches on a 700c rim would be to have a tire with a section height of at least 95 mm which is close to 4 inches and would yield a tire diameter of about 31.9 inches. The fattest 29er tires I've seen online so far are 3 inches wide which make them measure about 30 inches in diameter. But some would say if the tire doesn't measure EXACTLY 32 inches or more then it's a 31 inch tire. Personally I disagree with that...if the tire is more than 31.5 inches it should be labeled as a 32.

I don't really know what the exact BSD is for the rim on this bike, but given that 29ers use rims with a BSD of 24.5 inches, I would estimate that a 32er would use a rim with a BSD of 27.5 inches which would make the BSD about 698 mm. Someone else posted measuring (what I'm pretty sure was an OUTSIDE diameter and not a bead seat diameter) the 32er rims at 27.25. If that is true, taking into account that the bead seat is usually 7 mm from the outer lip of the rim, the BSD would be about 678 mm or roughly 26.7 inches. In this case, if the tire being (I'm guessing) approximately 57 mm section height, the tire diameter would actually only be about 31.1 inches...indeed too small for it to be called a 32er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nurse Ben:

Are you sure you weren't maybe just measuring the outside diameters of those rims? 700c rims have a BSD of 622 mm which is = 24.5 inches. I know that the 36 inch rims have a BSD of 787 mm which = 31 inches. I'm thinking if you measured the outside diameter of that 32er as 27.25, giving account for the 7mm distance between the bead seat and the rim lip...times 2 sides, the BSD for those rims is actually about 678 mm which is = 26.7 inches. Assuming a 57 mm section height for a 2.125 tire designation that would certainly make a tire diameter of only about 31.1 inches which really doesn't deserve the designation 32er as you pointed out. However, on a side note, on my Monster Cruiser, the section height is pretty deep in comparison to the width. Even with a 31 inch BSD the tires on my cruiser still measure exactly 36 inches when fully aired up.

I was just wondering if maybe you measured the outside diameter instead of the BSD. The outside diameter of a 700c rim does indeed measure 25 inches (approx 636 mm), and the outside diameter of the 36er rims (at least what I measured when I took my rims apart) is about 31.73 inches (roughly 806 mm).

Recovering couch patato
    32" tires, I bet the Walmart bike is the only way to obtain them.
    Tubes, good question. Ever notice how tubes are a bit, well, non-rigid, in a stretchy kind of way? Just air up a wide enough 29" tube and forget about it. Works in 36" tires also. Rubber, it stretches. Every (un)grown man knows.

mtbr member
    holy crap!!
    2013 Specialized P 26 AM green/purple. Nuff said

Giant Faith

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster36er View Post
    What brand is your 36er? Mine is a Coker Monster Cruiser. It was originally a 3 speed with coaster brake when I first assembled it. But when I couldn't climb even the smallest grade hill in first gear without killing myself, I changed it out for a dual drive hub and turned it into a 27 speed. I then had issues with the gearing ratio still being too high. I could climb mild to moderate hills in 1st gear, but steep hills were so much of a challenge it made more sense to just walk it up the hill. Unfortunately 27th gear was so high that I could barely pedal. The best I did with that set up was about 30 mph in 23rd gear. Currently my cruiser is disassembled and boxed back up until such a time that I can reconfigure the proper gearing ratios and order all the parts I need to rebuild it. I've even considered putting a front wheel motor on it.

Here is a picture of my cruiser with the dual drive hub setup. Would love to see a picture of your 36er.

Originally I wanted to go with a 14 Speed Rohloff hub but the Rohloff hubs are only 32 hole and there are not yet any 787 mm rims with 32 hole drilling. I could have pulled it off on a 48 hole rim (just leaving out a hole after every two to lace a 32h hub to a 48h rim), but unfortunately unicycle.com doesn't appear to carry the 787 mm rims in 48h anymore. 48 hole wheels can really complicate things because the hubs and rims are not as readily available for all bicycle setups. I would love to have 48 spoke wheels on my 36er just for stability reasons because the rims are so big...but I have found that the 36 spoke setup works nicely provided the wheel is built properly.

When I actually upgraded to the dual drive hub I ended up having to build the wheels myself. The bike came with 13g spokes but the SRAM hub won't accept anything larger than 14g so I had to order 362mm 14g spokes from unicycle.com which fortunately were just the right length for my set up. I rebuilt front and rear with 14g spokes. I did it myself because none of the bicycle shops in town could do it for me. Three of them laughed at me when I told them what I wanted them to do...and with what size wheels, and one of them just gave me an honest answer that they did not deal with unicycle wheels about 29 inch and therefore did not have the right size truing stand with which to build suck large rims and encouraged me to check out tutorials online about wheel building. Surprisingly I built them nice and tight and as straight as a professional lace job...and I've never built a wheel in my life! The modifications I plan to make, however, might see me having to either trim my own spokes down or see if the bicycle shop can assist me with that project.
    Here are some pics of mine and it also came equipped with Schlumpf Innovations Gearing Systems - Speed Drive, Mountain Drive, High Speed Drive
    let me know what u think..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart-bwb-rs.jpg  

32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart-bwb-new-handle-bars-rs.jpg  

32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart-bwb-sticker.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes, I measured the outside rim diameter, kinda forgot to measure the rim itself, I was too excited to get it riding.

It appears to be ~ 2.5" larger diameter than a 29" rim, so about the same increase as for a 26" to a 29", but I'll have nothing definitive until I get around to delfating it for a franken tire I'm making.

It is a 48h rim, so with some fancy spoking you could build it into a 32h or a 36h hub, but a 28h hub would probably not go so easilly.

The rim does have enough sidewall for a braking surface, but good luck getting the brake pads to line up.

I rode it off road today on some technical single track and it was a decent ride considering the tire design, on par with what you'd expect for a 2" cruiser tire from China

My Frankentire will be a RR 2.25 snakeskin.

Not to bash 36ers, as that's what I ride when I go big; tomorrow at Tsali if the rain stays at bay, BUT a 36er is a really big wheel (esp fora bike) and there is a lot of room between that and the 29", so it wouldn't hurt to have another wheel standard, I'm just not sure if a 32" (31") is the way to go or if a true mid point sized 33.5" would be a better fit.

Kent and Walmart have established a standard, not sure how they decided on the sizing, but the tools are out there, in some small fishing village on the Yangtze

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    keep in mind surly has the nard which is a 29er that is 3"wide so it should be taller then standard 29er....

Recovering couch patato
    Interesting they decided to make it a 31.5" rather than full-on 32". Still very much in the Red Hot zone of XC supreme for adult sized riders I think.
    Go ahead folks, make 2.5" tallers Knards or 5" taller Larry's for this, and the frame to fit it. How awesome that's be... I'd be just happy with 32x2.4" Racing Ralphs myself. they seem to work fine for my type of riding. Oh, and a pair of Supermoto's of course. Or should I say Black Floyds?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Interesting they decided to make it a 31.5" rather than full-on 32".
    The size difference from the 29" to the 32" is ~2.5" wich is the same difference between a 26" and a 29". It makes sense if you consider that sizing is somewhat arbitrary to begin with, so why 36" for instance when we could easilly have gotten 33, 34, or 35"...

It's not a huge difference over a 29er, but to be fair, comparing a Knard 29er to the cruiser tire that came on the 32" is not realistic. Apples to apples, a realistic comparison would be a RR 2.25 x 29 to a RR 2.25 x 32, in which case the size difference would be ~2.5"

I'm building a tire from the above, it should be done before snow falls, then I'll have a better idea of how it "can ride".

If you think about the momentum of the 29er movement, apparently 2.5" is significant

Now as to Speicalized doing anything "specialized", get real, they follow the money not the art.

Recovering couch patato
    +2.5" is great. It will somewhat fit in a 29+ bike. Especially with a slightly narrow tire. Say, a 1.8" full slick or negative profile slick. Fun for commuting.
    36" is what it is, for uni purposes.

What's that with the tire you'll make? What technique, and for a bike or uni?

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    Yup it's a actual 32" wheel, nobody has come though with a BSD measurement though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What's that with the tire you'll make? What technique, and for a bike or uni?
    Two tires, cut down, glued and stictched together to make one, frankentire.

It's crude, but it can work, esp for low pressures and low speeds that unicyclists use.

I'm going uptown on this tire, having a shop repair shop do the glue and stitch work so it's tight and clean.

It's not as nice a ready made tire, but I think it'll be the best I can get for a while unless someone gets frisky and makes a decent 32" tire and rim.

So about creating a new wheel standard...what would be the best upsize from the 29"? Is a ~2.5" diameter increase, similar to the difference from 26" to 29", the best way to go or does the difference need to be more significant?

I rode the 32" on trails last weekend and it was okay, rolled like a taller 29er, but the tire was only so-so, not a good rubber and tread for wet rocks and such. The 32" was easier to ride than a 36" and faster than a 29", but I didn't really feel I was slowed down in any way due to the increased diameter over a 29er. So then I rode my 36er a couple days later on a mix of double and single track, and ya now, the 36" is pretty durn nice and quite rideable, but it's some work!

For me, as a unicyclist, I find a 29 x 2.4 to be a decent all arounder, but at times it's a little on the short and slow side; keep in mind that we ride 1:1 The 36" is a nice riding wheel, but when it's tight, slow, or steep ups, it's a beast to work. I wouldn't give up either wheel size, but given the choice I'd run a 29 x 3" for technical stuff and wet weather, a 32 x 2.25-2.5 for XC, and a 36 x 2.25 for easier mixed rides with an eye toward endurance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I saw these things when I went to Walmart several weeks ago. They're MONSTROUS. Looks fun.

Recovering couch patato
    In my opinion, a 3" move up from 29", so 76mm taller rims, makes most sense. Walmart seems to have gone with a bit less than that, but close enough.
    Having 26.5 - 29 - 32 - 36 would be a nice spread to me.
    All the BS talk of 650B vs. 26" or 650B vs. 29" is just that, BS. Measurement error will unable us to make a good decision. 26" vs. 29", that's clear cut. And no-one who considers 26"small can in theirr right mind call 29" too big. Take a step back and see the tiny difference.

Respect, BTW, for making your own tires. This could have been done decades ago, but wasn't00. Not even when there were calls for 29" or better rubber.
    As long as no really proper stuff comes out in small-32", I will still prefer 698mm bead seat diameter for a 32" standard. Also, it would do fine with skinny tires for road use. 700c is ridiculous for big guys oin road bikes, regardless oof how silly narrow tires happen to be by themselves. A 698mm standard, 711mm outside diameter rim, with 30mm tall hybrid tire, makes for a 761mm tire. this will work fine for big folks. The bike it comes in, IMO should still be XC oriented. A 29" bikes keeps the ideal BB height when fitted with CX or road tires, the tire itselff adjust pedal clearance as necessary. Same will go for 32".

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I can't believe this. We're just getting into 29s in Europe....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've been riding the stock 32" wheel/tire for a few weeks now, finally made the commitment and cut apart a perfectly solid set of Maxxis Advantage tires:

I did a simple two inch overlap, ground the knobbies down, used barge cement to attach the ends, then I had a shoe repair shop sew the overlaps down and tie the beads together, coated the threads and ends with a rubberized armor

Final product: Maxxis Advantage 32" x 2.1" Silkworm, 680gm!

It rides awesome!!

WIGGLER

Almost a 32er

Well I bit and ordered one from Wally world dot com....got it yesterday and put it together last nite. The tires are closer to 31" than 32". The plan is to "adjust" the frame a little and make it an over sized BMX. I might ride it this weekend and then put it under
    the knife.
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

MR. 36er TROLL

I'm sorry what part of "BIGLY" didn't you understand?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    any pics of that?

mtbr member
    I rode one. It absorbed bumps quite well, as you might expect. But it was horribly overgeared - IE: Don't even think about riding it up a hill and it turned corners only slightly faster than an ocean liner.

Custom User Title
    Wut

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    They now come with gears, or will soon...

32" Genesis Ultra 32 Men's Beach Cruiser Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys : Walmart.com

Already picturing a monstercross conversion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

32" Genesis Super 32 Cruiser

I took delivery of this beast a week ago... after renting one in New Orleans for 3 days I had to have it. For reference, I own 5 bikes, including a Specialized Tarmac and a 29er SS mtn bike that I custom built, and I've been a mtn biker for 20 years.

Lots of preconceived notions on this thread about what this bike is and isn't... and most of them are wrong. And just because this is a Wal-Mart bike made in China does not mean that it is a POS...it is anything but.

First of all, this bike is HUGE. Everything on it or about it. The wheels are significantly bigger than my 29er wheels, and the bike is almost 18" longer than the 29er.

Secondly, it is not that heavy...36lbs on the scale at the LBS. And it ROLLS......wow! This thing is smooth,stable, pretty fast for what it is,and and all in all - a beautiful ride. I've got $7000 or so of other bike in my house but for now, the Super 32 is the one that I am riding....it's that much fun. The thing goes 10-12mph without barely pedaling and the gearing is perfect for me, and I am 6'1 and 245 lbs. It handles well, rides like a Cadillac and stops-- uh not so well. I fixed that by installing a pair of Tektro M559 side pull rim brakes. And yes, they do stop this behemoth....not like a set of discs on a 25 lb mtn bike, but a LOT better than the inadequate coaster brake.

This bike is a steal at $210... too bad there is not abetter rim and tire available...

The Super 32 is totally legit.

32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart-s32-14-14.jpg32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart-s32-29-wheel-14.jpg

mtbr member
    Any update Tod?
    I'm curious !

Quote Originally Posted by todwil View Post
    Well I bit and ordered one from Wally world dot com....got it yesterday and put it together last nite. The tires are closer to 31" than 32". The plan is to "adjust" the frame a little and make it an over sized BMX. I might ride it this weekend and then put it under
    the knife.
    Some custom frame already
    32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart-600742_4946559029830_635421440_n.jpg
    not mine of course : Facebook linkhttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&type=1&ref=nf
    Last edited by davidfrench; 10-17-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    DirtySixer Bikes, California
    Big 32er & 36er bikes for tall riders
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by davidfrench View Post
    Any update Tod?
    I'm curious !

Some custom frame already
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600742_4946559029830_635421440_n.jpg 
Views:	4107 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	839721
    No nothing any newer than I already posted.

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Special eyes View Post
    I read some where that Specialized is rolling the 32" out next year, this should set the industry on fire, seeing that this larger wheel will out preform anything else on the market today, can't wait!
    Out perform?

It's not wheel size that makes a better rider, it's the rider that makes the wheel size work for their ability.
    I drive more when the streets need repairs! -'95 ZJ

The Fastest of Bananas
    Lets just cut the crap and go to 100" wheels.

mtbr member
    Totally.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    Out perform?
    It's not wheel size that makes a better rider, it's the rider that makes the wheel size work for their ability.
    I will add that there's a wheel size for every body (in two words). No need to get a 36er when you're short. Not a good idea to ride a 26er when you're 6'10".
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

mtbr member

32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Lets just cut the crap and go to 100" wheels.
    On penny farthings.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Name:  36erTrack.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  142.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by davidfrench View Post
    Totally.

I will add that there's a wheel size for every body (in two words). No need to get a 36er when you're short. Not a good idea to ride a 26er when you're 6'10".
    I will add that terrain is another factor. 6'10" on a 20" BMX makes sense, but not on a 20" MTB. FWIW 36" was shown to be fun on the velo too:

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeardsl View Post
    The look on his face makes it seem as if he's using the tire as a seat.
    I drive more when the streets need repairs! -'95 ZJ

mtbr member
    I will add that terrain is another factor. 6'10" on a 20" BMX makes sense, but not on a 20" MTB. FWIW 36" was shown to be fun on the velo too:
    6'10" on a 20" ? This should be forbidden by the gravity law (and health insurance). Well I don't know any 6'10" and plus interested in BMX tho...
    :-)
    My point is again: there's a wheel size for every type of body. One thing to consider is the shoe metaphor. If you're size 10 shoe, why would you wear size 14? And why us at size 14 have to wear size 10? Only size 14 and plus guys will get it. Cause at size 10 you always found shoes your size and weren't forced to wear size 6...
    my 2 cts... from 6'6" and size 14...
    :-)
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Anybody know where to find tires for this?

Find the 32" Genesis Cruiser Bike at an always low price from Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

(This is the same bike being talked about in this thread right?)

Local bike shop didn't have any and I've heard WalMart doesn't carry them. I've heard Kent has them but I'm not sure. Anybody know?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: 32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by gohnjood View Post
    Anybody know where to find tires for this?

Find the 32" Genesis Cruiser Bike at an always low price from Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

(This is the same bike being talked about in this thread right?)

Local bike shop didn't have any and I've heard WalMart doesn't carry them. I've heard Kent has them but I'm not sure. Anybody know?
    Here you go, just email or call Kent bicycles http://www.kentbicycles.com/contact

Sent From My Windows 8.1 Surface Tablet

WIGGLER
    I saw tires and tubes on EBAY $25 for the tires and $13 for the tubes

MR. 36er TROLL

banned
    Jan 2013
    OMG!!! i have to have this bike!!! can you imagine? ALWAYS going down hill would be amazing! I think i would modify it and put a 20 on the front. That would make it a steeper down hill and even faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tugofwar View Post
    Here you go, just email or call Kent bicycles Contact | kent

Awesome, just called and ordered one. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: 32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by gohnjood View Post
    Awesome, just called and ordered one. Thanks!
    No problem!! I love my Super 32 cruiser
    Just so you know, you can use 29er inner tubes on the 32"rims and tires. I already tried it, they work great. No need to order tubes, just tires. Buy 29er tubes at Wal-Mart.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    J&B now lists tires and tubes for this size. Now you can get them from your LBS and gradually do penance for buying the bike from WalMart.

They also have an official rim size - 686mm. The tires have 54-686 on the sidewall. Which by a quick calculation is not grossly smaller than 29+.

I have for some time thought these wheels may be useful as an extra road/gravel set for a 29+, and now know that they're not that far off.

I suspect that for MTB though, we will probably stick to 29+ if we want that outside diameter. More tires and frames, better geometry, and if we're already managing a wheel that big, might as well get more volume. We'll probably see 76-622 road tires before we see 54-686 MTBs. Unless WalMart's already on it.

Recovering couch patato
    Wow, when I proposed the 32" standard on MTBR I aimed for it to be 698mm at the outer edge of the rim (28 inches) versus 622/700c/28"/29" being 635mm (25 inches).
    As typically size is rim size deducted b ~12-13mm, it looks like I got exactly what I wanted :-)

After 20.100 and myself drew geometries for 36" MTB's to fit normally sized people, before long people started making them.
    With 32", the application seems more general, fit more people. From say an M sized frame, conservatively.

Should make for an interesting (fast) commuter with 32" cruiser tires. Now how to get these babies offroad?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    As curious as I am about these, I haven't quite been able to justify acquiring one. Unfortunately, the 7spd version has been showing as out of stock for a while now.

And as neat as one would be for commuting, I have to ask what the real advantage would be over a 29 with the options you want and good tire selection. I'm actually finding my 29 heavy touring bike is a bit much for commuting, though its advantages are real.

Am I missing something about the 32 that offers a speed advantage on the road? I would see its main benefit to be on the straighter varieties of XC. Coarse gravel touring, etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    7spd version available again under a different name.

32" Kent KX-7 Men's Cruiser Bike, Silver: Kids' Bikes & Riding Toys : Walmart.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    A 32 inch with a studded tire would be perfect for the winter riding. This will give more better experience to the winter riders. But i think they probably ship from china whole to Walmart.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray View Post
    Soon enough someone will come out with a 92er
    Wha'd'ya mean "soon enough"? They did back in the 1800s.

Name:  big wheel bicycle.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  7.1 KB

Now we need to work on adding some suspension to this 32ite. I think at least 130 mm travel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Members who have read this thread: 2