Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    So... anyone read the numbers on the side of the tire for a BSD yet?

If I get a chance to buy one of these things I will gladly buy one.
    Last edited by ericpulvermacher; 06-16-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ericpulvermacher View Post
    So... anyone read the numbers on the side of the tire for a BSD yet?

If I get a chance to buy one of these things I will gladly buy one.

Yeah that would be great, maybe get this thread back on track.

Titanium junkie
    Sorry to most, got to say it, some of you
    have gone way south of the original topic.
    May I make a suggestion, take it elsewhere or get off this thread!
    Nobody gives a rat's ass about your personal views other than the bike in question.
    And for the one's ashamed of the "Wealth in America" I earned mine, so piss off, I love my Country,
    who many died for, and many worked hard for to be able to reap the benefits of living here.
    I will not apologize for being an American, nor will I feel lucky that I am where I am in life.
    I worked my azz off.

Now, back to the bike in question......
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    Nobody gives a rat's ass about your personal views other than the bike in question.
    And for the one's ashamed of the "Wealth in America" I earned mine, so piss off, I love my Country,
    who many died for, and many worked hard for to be able to reap the benefits of living here.
    I will not apologize for being an American, nor will I feel lucky that I am where I am in life.
    I worked my azz off.

You guys are all a bunch of azzholes for getting off topic, and now that I've made my point I'm going to go off topic

Titanium junkie
    Did I imply my rant was planned out, opps.
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Saw this at a classic car museum i was at today. Not sure of the exact wheel size, but they looked to be at least 32....

General shot of the others:

Titanium junkie
    Wow, those are nice, back when color was in.
    You're a Tailgunner

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryp View Post
    Saw this at a classic car museum i was at today. Not sure of the exact wheel size, but they looked to be at least 32....

General shot of the others:
    That is a Coker Monster cruiser 36er they make a red one also...
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

MR. 36er TROLL

I'm sorry what part of "BIGLY" didn't you understand?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I worked my azz off.

Who was ashamed of America?

Keep pedaling
    kerryp, cool pictures, thanks. That's a Coker Monster Cruiser with 36 inch wheels.

monster-crusier

Quote Originally Posted by kerryp View Post

mtbr member
    I worked my azz off.

Who said you had to be ashamed to have wealth?

word has it you are a money grubbing coal hoarding baron who forces others to ride big wheel bikes with no real practicality though

mtbr member
    Thanks. Yep thats it. I couldnt remember the name. Thought i had taken a pic but hadnt. Those were some big wheels!

better than I deserve
    None of these at my local Wally Mart.Sorry,a bit off topic am I?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just got back from a sunset ride. Raced a fixie kid on the way back and beat him.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I just got back from a sunset ride. Raced a fixie kid on the way back and beat him.
    LOL, I got a yin for that yang. Which btw has nothing to do with 32" bike

Last summer was out riding my road bike feeling fast as sh@t. Cruised by some overweight guy who I'd guess was also older than I. I wasn't racing, just doing my thing, but I guess he didn't like being passed so it took him a while but he caught up and it was obvious he picked up his pace, and also obvious he wanted to let me know that he was faster. I was happy to trail close behind for a few miles but then when I went to pass he moved over and forced me over into oncoming so I had no choice but to slow down and get behind again or crash into him or the 2 women coming towards me. I thought, what a d@ck, what a sore looser, but than to his credit I just could not pass again and slowly watched him pull away. Now in my defense I was close to the end of my ride for the day and had pushed hard for 25+ miles already. And for all I know he had just finished warming up , but I felt I'd gotten a good dose of humble either way.
    Last edited by theMeat; 06-17-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Now that might be a good use for the 32"......Cat 6 racing!
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Saw this guy at Bike Party last night. All yor big whill belon to uz.

You don't see this sh|t in da pilipeens.

Haha that's my cousin's boyfriend. She posted a pic the other day and all I could say was Damn!! That's a fatbike!!

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    o_0

Custom User Title
    How many gears does this thing have on it? Or is it a single speed? Im trying to convince one of my friends to buy it, since he loves cheap Walmart bikes for some reason...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Atcher View Post
    How many gears does this thing have on it? Or is it a single speed? Im trying to convince one of my friends to buy it, since he loves cheap Walmart bikes for some reason...
    A single speed. Get him to buy it and report back.

Custom User Title
    Na. I think that just turned him off of it completely. If it doesn't have forty gears and full suspension he doesn't want it.

Maybe if my Walmart has it, I might buy it this weekend with my next paycheck. I can wait another week or two on getting my stereo replaced in my car. Maybe.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by borborpa View Post
    Haha that's my cousin's boyfriend. She posted a pic the other day and all I could say was Damn!! That's a fatbike!!

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2
    I'd like to see him go over a massive rock and see how much RR those tires have lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Atcher View Post
    Na. I think that just turned him off of it completely. If it doesn't have forty gears and full suspension he doesn't want it.

Maybe if my Walmart has it, I might buy it this weekend with my next paycheck. I can wait another week or two on getting my stereo replaced in my car. Maybe.
    Too bad because the lack of gears and extra junk still make this one of Walmart's better bikes no doubt.

mtbr member
    Just checked the Marquette, Michigan store. No joy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos and terseness are to be expected.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok, sorry to be getting medieavally preachy on y'all.

The unfortunate thing about Wally World (bikes and other crap) is that what some folks see in some places may or may not be available everywhere else. My local WM carries a Mongoose-labelled bike in kind of a board-track style...700c diamond-frame cruiser with a cruiser handlebar upside down. Not a bad looking bike. They carry a beach cruiser in a couple of colors with 29-er wheels and street-tread fatties, about 2.25 (30-1/4" dia @ 40 PSI---I "borrowed" a tape measure and squeezed tested), but I did not see the 32"

None of these bikes seems to be visible on WM.com, so its hard to share what I'm seeing with folks here. But it also suggests that someone, somewhere, is on the lookout for rising trends. Now maybe its phat phreaks somewhere driving style trends, but even so, others will grab components and repurpose them. Pacenti sewed tires together to experiment with 650B, right? In the 30's and 40's car and motorcyle nuts built cars and bikes out of whatever they could find. The first lightweight all terrain vehicles used surplus aircraft tires with treads cut in them with a woodworking router.

So wally world may be contributing to the demise of the America we thought we knew, but its helping recreate a new one, too. A world with 32" bike tires.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I wouldn't be too proud to cruise around the neighborhood on one of those with the kiddos.

Now my off topic piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    Horrid company with unethical business practices which only cares about their bottom dollar and nothing else.
    Their products are garbage, and in the case of say bikes flat out dangerous.
    And of course this. Think about it, multi billion dollar company with the entire family being Billionares but they are so ignorant they encourage poor pay?

2010 Sweatshop Hall of Shame | International Labor Rights Forum
    Blurr how can you be so against walmart and their bikes when you have openly admitted to riding a "Next" brand bike. The last time I checked those are sold at walmart. Hypocrite much?

I agree, I have to say that I rode my POS next every decent day there was for five years

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    I wouldn't be too proud to cruise around the neighborhood on one of those with the kiddos.

Now my off topic piece.

Blurr how can you be so against walmart and their bikes when you have openly admitted to riding a "Next" brand bike. The last time I checked those are sold at walmart. Hypocrite much?
    It goes back to the Fraud argument I posted earlier, I like so many others was deceived into believing it was a bike capable of far more, even meeting those of the LBS.
    It obviously was not, nor is capable on any level except light trail/street use.
    Why on earth you find that hypocritical I have no Idea, I would assume help others from making the same mistake.

mtbr member
    Because, for one thing, if you preach that people shouldn't buy from said "horrid" company for whatever reason, yet you buy from that same said company, that makes you a hypocrite. Not saying you are, just stating the facts.
    Then talking about being misled as to the bikes capabilities, or anything else for that matter doesn't change anything, just the subject.
    Get it now.
    Last edited by theMeat; 06-17-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    Round and round we go

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Because, for one thing, if you preach that people shouldn't buy from said "horrid" company for whatever reason, yet you buy from that same said company, that makes you a hypocrite. Not saying you are, just stating the facts.
    Then talking about being misled as to the bikes capabilities, or anything else for that matter doesn't change anything, just the subject.
    Get it now.
    ^^^^He beat me to it.

You obviously shop there yet you come on this thread advocating against it. Reminds me of when I had to meet with a nutritionist after I had a kidney removed. She walked into my hospital room with a huge McDonalds cup, was easily 100 lbs overweight and proceeded to tell me how to eat healthy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    ^^^^He beat me to it.
    Not trying to be mean, and not trying to help you prove your point either. Merely an attempt to get Blurr to stop posting off topic bs as I hope you'll do the same. Now, at the risk of being called a hypocrite myself, I will stop posting off topic bs also..
    Round and round we go

banned
    Sep 2010
    On topic, anyone get a B.S.D. on one of these?

mtbr member
    Get it now.
    It is called getting educated later on, I like many Americans slowly have learned about the horrid business practices of said company.
    So a recap, I purchased my NEXT roughly 9 years ago at said store, you know, its not like yesterday

You know, kind of like when you are with some woman who later down the road you never would be with again cause well, you know better now.
    Or maybe you voted for someone that turned out to not be who you expected.

Seriously is it that difficult to understand people? lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    On topic, anyone get a B.S.D. on one of these?
    Hmm, big swinging d..., blue screen of death, no can't be, so what's bsd mean?
    Round and round we go

AZ
    banned
    Hmm, big swinging d..., blue screen of death, no can't be, so what's bsd mean?

Bead Seat Diameter.

mtbr member
    It is called getting educated later on, I like many Americans slowly have learned about the horrid business practices of said company.
    So a recap, I purchased my NEXT roughly 9 years ago at said store, you know, its not like yesterday

You know, kind of like when you are with some woman who later down the road you never would be with again cause well, you know better now.
    Or maybe you voted for someone that turned out to not be who you expected.

Seriously is it that difficult to understand people? lol
    Yup I get it now, voting for someone, being with a women, 32" bike. I see.

At the risk of getting bad repped I think you're cool, I like your input around here, most of the time, and do not wish to do battle with you or anyone else. Could we all just stop the bs and maybe share info a little more on topic now.

BTW, I'm gonna try to get into wally world tomorrow to take a look. I'd think twice, maybe thrice before i bought, but I must admit I'm curious, and I'll have my phone and a tape measure when I do get there.

Thanx AZ, I'll try and measure that too.
    Last edited by theMeat; 06-17-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Yup I get it now, voting for someone, being with a women, 32" bike. I see.

At the risk of getting bad repped I think you're cool, I like your input around here, most of the time, and do not wish to do battle with you or anyone else. Could we all just stop the bs and maybe share info a little more on topic now.

BTW, I'm gonna try to get into wally world tomorrow to take a look. I'd think twice, maybe thrice before i bought, but I must admit I'm curious, and I'll have my phone and a tape measure when I do get there.

Thanx AZ, I'll try and measure that too.
    thank you, you as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    yup

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I buy my ammo from WalMart.

mtbr member
    Well got over to wally world and no go. Sold out for now on both 32" bike in question and fixie I wanted to look at. I'll post again after mission is complete.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I buy my ammo from WalMart.
    Although I hate Walmart, they are good for ammo. According to another crazy thread around here we should be stocking up for the coming zombi war.

What does this bike cost? Sorry, I can't reread this thread to look.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The SS, 32" cruiser is $199.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by laherna View Post
    The SS, 32" cruiser is $199.
    Kinda pricey? Should be $129.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Kinda pricey? Should be $129.
    Yeah, you can get awesome Mongoose Deception for $239...

If I needed a town bike and didn't want to go up and down curbs, this thing would be sweet. And I'd buy my wife one of the Walmart.com bikes with the fully enclosed rear wheel, a la the Netherlands.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Well got over to wally world and no go. Sold out for now on both 32" bike in question and fixie I wanted to look at. I'll post again after mission is complete.
    No 32" here in WI either. They had the $99 Fixie, and the sweet black 29" SS cruiser for $149. I'd totally get rid of my beater cruiser for one of these Wally cruisers, but now I'm holding out for the "WTF-factor" of the 32" cruiser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    No 32" here in WI either. They had the $99 Fixie, and the sweet black 29" SS cruiser for $149. I'd totally get rid of my beater cruiser for one of these Wally cruisers, but now I'm holding out for the "WTF-factor" of the 32" cruiser.
    Now those are good prices! How bad was the fixie, did it have a flip flop hub?

AZ
    banned
    Now those are good prices! How bad was the fixie, did it have a flip flop hub?

The fixies have garnered some less than glowing reviews from people that actually know stuff. There is a thread on RBR in the fixed forum that has some info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    The fixies have garnered some less than glowing reviews from people that actually know stuff. There is a thread on RBR in the fixed forum that has some info.
    Thanks for the warning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    They are awful. Welds look like somebody applied them with a butter knife. The entire thing is crap.

BUT! Like I said, there were a ton of kids riding them at http://www.sjbikeparty.org/ and they were all having a great time. To me, that's all that really matters in the end. Not everybody has the knowledge to shop on craigslist, find a sweet deal, negotiate a price, pick it up and then work on it. For some people, they don't know any better than to just go down to the local Wal and pick up a new bike for the purpose of cruising the streets of San Jose with 4000 of their friends, all on bikes: cheap ones, expensive ones, hand made ones and everything inbetween.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Too big.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    They are awful. Welds look like somebody applied them with a butter knife. The entire thing is crap.

BUT! Like I said, there were a ton of kids riding them at http://www.sjbikeparty.org/ and they were all having a great time. To me, that's all that really matters in the end. Not everybody has the knowledge to shop on craigslist, find a sweet deal, negotiate a price, pick it up and then work on it. For some people, they don't know any better than to just go down to the local Wal and pick up a new bike for the purpose of cruising the streets of San Jose with 4000 of their friends, all on bikes: cheap ones, expensive ones, hand made ones and everything inbetween.
    Cool event! It's nice to see them getting out of their cars in SJ for a change.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Well Now...

That was one helluva fart contest - er thread - there boyz...

Can't believe I read the whole thing...

Ride on.

mtbr member
    I ride my Walmart thruster fixie 3+ times a week and no troubles at all... It has a few hundred miles and hasn't had a single problem to date...
    Current Ride:2012 BAMF Full Nelson

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    This is a great time for my first post. For a minute there I thought I was watching Jerry Springer. Now I realize that it is about 32" bikes. Glad I read the entire thing.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    I knew I should have waited , I bought a 29er too soon
    29er is popular, now 27.5" will be next size, not 32" .

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.MT View Post

Maybe. The 32er will have a place if its popularity warrants it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.MT View Post
    Well there's 650 wheel size that's been out for years that's in between 26 and 29 inch wheel. Seems that 29 is far surpassing it in popularity.
    But let's not even get into the fact that a 29" wheel measures around 27"
    Round and round we go

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    I think it's more like because you expressed your opinion something like a 13 year old. Wait, maybe you are 13.

Serious here, you call their stuff junk. On some items, I'd agree. However, how is an ipod or digital Nikon camera, a Michelin tire, or any other nationally recognized brand different at a Walmart from any other retailer? Is Walmart so big in their buying power that they can force LG to make a flat screen for 30% less and inferior components from the models they sell to other retailers? How is a bag of Scotts Turf Builder different from the bag I can buy at the local Ace hardware st.
    You have never heard of "Walmart spec" . Check the model number on the TV at Walmart vs the "same"one at an electronics stote. They are almost always different. The Walmart TV is made with cheaper bits to get the cost down.

A few years back Walmart approached Snapper about selling their lawn mowers. Snapper execs said no as they would have to cut so many corners to get down to the Walmart price point that they fealt they would not be able to maintain quality and it would "cheapen" the brand.

Yes, as the biggest retailer they do have that power.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well there's 650 wheel size that's been out for years that's in between 26 and 29 inch wheel. Seems that 29 is far surpassing it in popularity.
    But let's not even get into the fact that a 29" wheel measures around 27"
    my 26er measures about 27". Unless you're using road bike tires it should measure a little bit over 29"...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes View Post
    You have never heard of "Walmart spec" . Check the model number on the TV at Walmart vs the "same"one at an electronics stote. They are almost always different. The Walmart TV is made with cheaper bits to get the cost down.

A few years back Walmart approached Snapper about selling their lawn mowers. Snapper execs said no as they would have to cut so many corners to get down to the Walmart price point that they fealt they would not be able to maintain quality and it would "cheapen" the brand.

Yes, as the biggest retailer they do have that power.
    This is absolutely true - large retailers can, and will, demand exchanging of parts to bring the cost down and the profits up. My experience is not with Walmart, but with other retailers when I worked as Creative Marketing Director for an electronics company. I traveled to the manufacturing plants in China and saw where it all goes down.

China does produce high quality things, but it is ultimately up to how they are directed. Just because a product is made in China doesn't mean it's always crap - quality control is dependent on the company, not the manufacturing plant. Having worked with the Chinese before, they do EXACTLY what they are told, even it it means cutting corners.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick2cents View Post
    my 26er measures about 27". Unless you're using road bike tires it should measure a little bit over 29"...
    26er rim = 559 mm = 22 inches. If the tire is 2" tall that adds 4 inches to the diameter bringing you up to 26". So 26" wheels are not 26", but the wheel and normal mountain bike tire combined should be around 26".

650B = 584 mm = 23" -- with tire around 27"

29er rim = 622 mm = 24.5 inches -- with tire 28.5 to 29"

mtbr member
    This is absolutely true - large retailers can, and will, demand exchanging of parts to bring the cost down and the profits up. My experience is not with Walmart, but with other retailers when I worked as Creative Marketing Director for an electronics company. I traveled to the manufacturing plants in China and saw where it all goes down.

China does produce high quality things, but it is ultimately up to how they are directed. Just because a product is made in China doesn't mean it's always crap - quality control is dependent on the company, not the manufacturing plant. Having worked with the Chinese before, they do EXACTLY what they are told, even it it means cutting corners.
    I have a HP laptop that has a WM in the serial number meaning Walmart spec (although I bought it at Best Buy )

In this case Walmart spec doesn't mean inferior, it just means that HP has tweaked their laptops a little bit for different manufacturers so that they can each offer something unique. So if you see a notebook you like at Walmart, and then try to find a better price at Best Buy or Office depot, you will see that the Best Buy model has a slightly different hard drive size, or the Office depot model adds bluetooth, etc.
    My laptop model has probably 30 different serial number possibilites for all the different options as well as all the different distributors. Models intended for other countries are also given unique numbers.

How's that for a side track?

mtbr member
    I just read this whole thread and kinda realized why I usually don't read much on the off camber forum...you guys turn into a bunch o b*tches! We should rename this thread "Estrogen Wars: What Began With a 32" Bike at Walmart." God Damn, people.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    26er rim = 559 mm = 22 inches. If the tire is 2" tall that adds 4 inches to the diameter bringing you up to 26". So 26" wheels are not 26", but the wheel and normal mountain bike tire combined should be around 26".

650B = 584 mm = 23" -- with tire around 27"

29er rim = 622 mm = 24.5 inches -- with tire 28.5 to 29"
    I use a large, high profile tire. There is definitely some variability; but modern high volume trail tires tend to be a little more than 26 (hence why 650b, with only 25mm/1" larger erd is sometimes called 27.5). The other two sizes are closer.
    Last edited by patrick2cents; 06-20-2012 at 09:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick2cents View Post
    I use a large, high profile tire. There is definitely some variability; but modern high volume trail tires tend to be a little more than 26. The other two sizes are closer. And yes, it is 27", ~2.5" height on the tire.
    Yes that sounds right. I wasn't doubting your 27 inch wheel diameter, I was just clarifying wheel nomenclature vs rim diameter etc, since you responded to the Meat, who was pointing out that 29" "wheels are not 29" etc. Carry on...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ah, gotcha! My bad there.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I just read this whole thread and kinda realized why I usually don't read much on the off camber forum...you guys turn into a bunch o b*tches! We should rename this thread "Estrogen Wars: What Began With a 32" Bike at Walmart." God Damn, people.

Yeah, you probably shouldn't leave off camber, its not safe out here.

Rides like wrecking ball
    $0.97 shipping would be a STEAL on this beast!!!! I really do want one.
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    not a BIG fan...

Beer Me!
    I still don't know why we don't have a ride report. Someone buy me one of these and i will shred the living daylights out of it and let you know how it is.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Wait, we're taking volunteers? As owner of a bike whose current front wheel has been taco'd twice (by me) and repaired twice (by me) I think I am most qualified.

Beer Me!
    I will put 1/100'th of a the bikes worth $2 into a pool if we can get some pro bad ass to shred this bike.

I say we start a fund. This thing could be the next holy grail of wheel sizes, it is our duty to get it professionally tested.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    I'm in. Tell me where to send the 2 bucks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Better make the pro sign a bunch of release forms, in case it breaks in a bad way that hoses the poor SOB. I'll chip too as long as we have the release forms!

Rides like wrecking ball
    It's not built to shred or beat, it's a f'ing cruiser where style and uniqueness is arguably more important than high quality. That's why Walmart is ok for this type of bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    It's not built to shred or beat ...
    Even MTBs sold there and other big box stores have stickers telling buyers "not for off road use". I read someone that the typical department store bike sees less than 40 miles of use between being sold and going to the landfill.

AZ
    banned
    Anyone? Who has one? Has anyone got the Bead Seat Diameter yet?

mtbr member
    Anyone? Who has one? Has anyone got the Bead Seat Diameter yet?
    I am traumatized that my local Walmart isn't keeping up with the trends.

OTOH, their lagging behind has probably saved me $200.

mtbr member
    Even MTBs sold there and other big box stores have stickers telling buyers "not for off road use". I read someone that the typical department store bike sees less than 40 miles of use between being sold and going to the landfill.
    I've had two bikes from Wal-mart in the last 1 1/2 years. 1 didn't last 2 months before I trashed it (where it should have started in the first place), I still have and ride the other as my back up commuter. I believe it all depends on the actual bike and usage. The back up has more than 2500 miles after upgrades and such but the first one wouldn't have lasted no matter what would have been done to it and both bikes never saw use on anything rougher than hard packed dirt road. Judging by some of the bikes I've seen lately at Wal-mart I think the message has started (only started) to get through. Although some of the people who build the bikes are still incompetent, some of the bikes themselves are getting better.
    Having said this, let the flaming commence.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    I got to ride one around the store last night. I ride a Rumblefish, and these tires are definitely much bigger than 29er. I am 5'11" and I could barely touch the ground with the seat all the way down. It's a single speed bike and it was SLOOOOWWWwwww to move. I think the seat was in a weird position from what I am used to. It was comfortable though, the seat was nice and the handlebars were in a good position. Good God, the wheels are massive on it though... I could not stop looking at them! They are flat on top (not round), and seem like they would have some longevity for riding on the road. Also, it barely fit in the little slide out holder display case thing...

I also tried the yellow and orange fixie Thruster that they had. It pedaled much easier.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

Anchorage, AK

Video

Here is a short video of the bike in case it hasn't been posted to the thread yet.

32 INCH BIKE - TIRE COMPARISON WITH 26 INCH - YouTube

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Wal*mart...always on the cutting edge

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    wal mart lmao

mtbr member
    anyone seen one of these monsters ratted out? with a little work, one of those could be pretty rad. here's a 26 against a 32:

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    just peel off the stickers! that thing is sweet! and orange bikes are the fastest! maybe some white pinstripes on the frame and the chain guard and fenders...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    just peel off the stickers! that thing is sweet! and orange bikes are the fastest! maybe some white pinstripes on the frame and the chain guard and fenders...
    I do like orange!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That's my orange bike in Tin Cup's post. The decals peeled off very easily, and no residue but you can still see the letters slightly. The wheels are a different style than the 29ers that walmart has, they look stronger to me but time will tell. 48 spokes. I've ridden it just about 20 miles so I can't report on the dependability yet. The tires ask for 30psi, but I put in 35psi for a lot less rolling resistance. It weighs right at 40 lbs. I've got plans to change the paint scheme. I'll post up a pic when it's done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

T34 Mentor

Finished it up over the weekend. As I thought, every last bearing needed lube except for the rear hub. It looks like they use a very light spray of lube on the bearings.

This is painted to match a Navy trainer aircraft, a T-34 Mentor.

Can't post pics yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    well that's just goofy as hell

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Lol!

Beer Me!
    BarryL are you going to ride this on singletrack! Please Please do. POST PICTURES DANG IT.

Hint: go to here http://forums.mtbr.com/test-forum/ to get your post count high enough to do so, and to practice picture upload

mtbr member
    Bigger is not always better.
    But that's not what she said... lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Couldn't resist

I didn't have a cruiser in my quiver. That, and the low price point and overall novelty of this thing convinced me to bite the bullet and buy one. The store nearest me had only orange and green models left. I preferred the orange but took the last green one as it had the truest wheels and I didn't know if these would fit in a truing stand (yes, if the stand has 29er extensions and the tires are removed).

Took to my LBS to ask about replacing parts should something fail. Other than the wheel/tire/tube size issue, all the other parts are standard enough.

Some particulars:

weight is 34 lbs

tires are actually 31 inches in diameter

48 spokes per wheel

length is 7 feet from the outside of the tires, only six inches shorter than my tandem...this means it won't wheelie through most doors without slanting the front wheel, (found that out the hard way

16:36 gearing (sucks goin' uphill)

LOTS of stickers, reflectors and a black bottle cage cluttered up the appearance so I removed all that. Kept enough stickers to spell out "Super Cruiser" on the fork.

Opinions:

A bit unstable at low speed, but comfy. Rides like a beach cruiser, starts slow, not a climber. Not enough braking power for the angular momentum created by those big wheels. May add a front brake. Far fewer rattles than expected. I figure if I ride it gently (minimum of curb drops and off roading) it should be fun for a while. I'm curious if it will just be a one season thing or become a new genre of bike size with other manufacturers adding it to their lines. Liking it so far. Sure turns heads.

Stand-alone pic and one with my fiance's cruiser for contrast in my photo album. Can't post here as I'm too new a member.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chipsullivan View Post
    weight is 34 lbs

length is 7 feet from the outside of the tires, only six inches shorter than my tandem...
    that weight isn't too bad considering what it is, but whoa is that bike long. I never would have imagined it would be that long (I have a tandem as well).
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My 36" cruiser is right at 7'6" to 8'

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    36er stair ride - YouTube

These really large wheels have apparently been around a while. Note this one is claimed to be a 36".

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    inner city bike 36" ride - YouTube

And found this for anyone complaining about long chainstays on 29ers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Coker Button Tread - 36 x 2 1/4 Inch - Motorcycle & Bike - Tire Applications usually has all the weird tires notice the price. It may not be a new size but an old motorcycle size.
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What's next, a 48" tire? This is getting stupid.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    What's next, a 48" tire? This is getting stupid.
    It will all get back to Penny-farthings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Coker Vintage Motorcycle Tires - SummitRacing.com This is interesting motorcycle tires are sold by rim size so 30 to 36 inch diameter wheels used to be common.
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2