Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Great bike
    Last edited by Pauldotcom; 06-12-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    And I love how peeps gave me negative comments for not liking Walmart! LOL!! I forgot, opinions are not welcomed here.
    I think it's more like because you expressed your opinion something like a 13 year old. Wait, maybe you are 13.

Serious here, you call their stuff junk. On some items, I'd agree. However, how is an ipod or digital Nikon camera, a Michelin tire, or any other nationally recognized brand different at a Walmart from any other retailer? Is Walmart so big in their buying power that they can force LG to make a flat screen for 30% less and inferior components from the models they sell to other retailers? How is a bag of Scotts Turf Builder different from the bag I can buy at the local Ace hardware store?

I don't think it's as much about Walmart as it is about consumers wanting the least expensive whatever and Walmart is all too glad to step in and meet that demand. No wait, it is part of some conspiracy to send American jobs Asia-side, cheapify the US, and population control through bikes that explode on impact.

Oh, I love how every Walmart bike thread devolves into Walmart business practices/quality of merchandise/plumber's crack patrons hating and clueless bag checkers shredding. Now, back to our originally scheduled programming??? 32" bikes anyone?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    I never said I hated foreign stuff; I simply stated that Walmart imports stuff when they orignally opened and said they were a USA made store. Maybe I said it wrong, sorry. Walmart destroyed the small independent store, but some of you are right, the consumers helped.

Quite frankly, it's pretty much impossible to not buy stuff overseas; lets be honest here.

Are you going to buy a USA built TV?

I dont like Walmart because it's all garbage plain and simple and it's not a pleasant shoping experiance.

BTW-- even if I bought a USA built frame where am I going to get components?

And I love how peeps gave me negative comments for not liking Walmart! LOL!! I forgot, opinions are not welcomed here.

Its a thread about a bike wheel size, no one really gives two fcuks about the economics, take it to your own thread thanks.

Beer Me!
    Whoa people, lets get back on topic.

Can't blame Walmart for trying to predict the next Fad wheel size.

Somewhere the Walmart big wigs are reading this exact thread and thinking:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just think, all the people that are featured in the famous photos "People of Walmart" will be riding them!!!

WOOT!!!

mtbr member
    I don't think anyone here is seriously considering this a "good" bike or a replacement for anything other than an older Walmart bike.

A few us seem to be interested in it from the perspective that if someone is making rims and tires, then they may be willing to make a better rim and tire for real use. We called 30+ tire manufacturers to find one that was willing to do a "good" 36" mtb tire in small runs and have yet to find a rim manufacturer that will roll 36" rims AND drill them.

BTW, none of these here locally (to me) so couldn't look at any details today. Hopefully someone else can scout it out for us.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So for those doubting if it was a true 32", I measured it and it is a solid 32"tire. 32 x 2.125 tire size to be exact. The seat tube is 1 1/8".

The only possible lead for tire manufacturer is it does have "excel" written on the sidewalls. The tread pattern is identical to what Huffy Cranbrooks and Next La Jollas use. So I would figure them to be the same manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Is anyone selling 32" wheels? Maybe just buy the bike for the rims and tires and throw the rest away. Build a custom frame, lace the rims to some good hubs and go ride..?

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBuddy View Post
    How do you get tires or tubes for this monster?
    What makes you think the wheels will outlast the tires?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeardsl View Post
    ...snip... and have yet to find a rim manufacturer that will roll 36" rims AND drill them.

...snip....
    I am guessing you tried Velocity. They are based in the USA now.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Rides like wrecking ball
    I was looking at 29" cruisers to replace my 26" ballon-tired old Ross Mt St Helens, but this is so much better! A longer seatpost, normal seat and more of an Alt bar would make this a blast for riding with the kid or on those days were I just want to putt around for fun. I'm sold!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoMan View Post
    Is anyone selling 32" wheels? Maybe just buy the bike for the rims and tires and throw the rest away. Build a custom frame, lace the rims to some good hubs and go ride..?
    I bet those Wally world rims will holdup well too.

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoMan View Post
    Exactly!! 29er suspension corrected fork and a custom frame!,
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

MR. 36er TROLL

I'm sorry what part of "BIGLY" didn't you understand?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Man I get tired of these Wal Mart threads. This ones 5 pages long in a days time
    Are we really that short of topics to cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
    Wow, available in 5 colours too!
    I just realised this is a Canadian website. I have nothing against my northern brothers, except,Holmes on Holmes.Man that guy is a ******.

Keep pedaling
    I don't care about Wal Mart, but the 32" bikes are interesting.

They have 48 spokes. That seems like a sensible way to add strength.

The bike doesn't have gear shifters or disk brakes, so maybe the remaining parts are acceptable quality.

Titanium junkie
    Well, we have gone from a 32" beach cruiser, sold for that intended purpose,
    to bashing Walmart, unfair business practices, political views, and a wonderful
    little dig on Christians. Why don't you all STFU and talk about the bike for what it
    is intended for, without having to exorcise your personal demons with your World views.
    Looks to me like it would make a good bike path ride.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    i want one

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    I am guessing you tried Velocity. They are based in the USA now.
    Multiple times. They can roll them but can't finish or drill them so I'd end up with a garage full of raw undrilled rims. They were nice about it at least

transmitter~receiver
    Multiple times. They can roll them but can't finish or drill them so I'd end up with a garage full of raw undrilled rims. They were nice about it at least
    drilling doesn't seem like that big an obstacle.
    i've redrilled fat rims without issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    drilling doesn't seem like that big an obstacle.
    i've redrilled fat rims without issue.
    Nor is finishing (I'd have mine powdered a beautiful CK green), but doing 200 rims is no joke at all. I don't have the time, precision, or space for that undertaking. I am open to offers though

transmitter~receiver
    Nor is finishing (I'd have mine powdered a beautiful CK green), but doing 200 rims is no joke at all. I don't have the time, precision, or space for that undertaking. I am open to offers though
    ah... 200 is minimum?

mtbr member
    Yep, paid in full through LBS, assuming near retail so the end product with labor etc becomes a bit much for most people. Although anyone with a 36er would probably be okay with it.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetySecond View Post
    i want one
    me too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp88 View Post
    Why the hatred towards Walmart?
    Horrid company with unethical business practices which only cares about their bottom dollar and nothing else.
    Their products are garbage, and in the case of say bikes flat out dangerous.
    And of course this. Think about it, multi billion dollar company with the entire family being Billionares but they are so ignorant they encourage poor pay?

2010 Sweatshop Hall of Shame | International Labor Rights Forum
    [/quote]

The neg rep, unsigned of course
    "This is a forum about biking. Let's keep it that way."

Uhm yea the safety and wear bicycles are manufactured does apply to bikes lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    Horrid company with unethical business practices which only cares about their bottom dollar and nothing else.
    And of course this. Think about it, multi billion dollar company with the entire family being Billionares but they are so ignorant they encourage poor pay?

Don't forget they've also put half of main street America out of business.

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp88 View Post
    Why the hatred towards Walmart?
    Look up "The Wal-Mart Effect" to understand. It brought devastation to local economies and the frustration still lingers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Because it's the out sourcing giant of the USA. Too much "made in China" stuff there. Killed Mom & Pop's shops, eliminated lots and lots of American jobs...
    Complaining about made in China, on a computer that was made in China.

/stonerthought

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

/stonerthought
    Seriously why even bring up something which is Impossible to avoid.

mtbr member

/stonerthought
    I like what you did there...
    Current Ride:2012 BAMF Full Nelson

MTB B'dos
    Seriously, if their was no demand for this stuff, then they wouldn't be in business now would they But of course America wants it's cheap products, but don't want to accept lower salaries, won't stop suing everyone one for anything, so cost of living and production is sky high, so HTF do you expect these low cost products will get made then. If the people of the US who are so up in arms about it gave a $hit and voted with their $$ and spent them in all those small Mom & Pop stores they don't support this wouldn't have happened. Go ***** about this somewhere else like F88, this is a bike forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Look up "The Wal-Mart Effect" to understand. It brought devastation to local economies and the frustration still lingers.
    Seriously why even bring up something which is Impossible to avoid.
    Last edited by LyNx; 06-15-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Titanium junkie
    Agreed^^^
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    DUDE! There is a THIRTY-TWO INCH BIKE at WAL-MART! How cool is THAT?! I gotta see one of these.

(welcome back to the topic)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    quick 29'er sheep ,theres a new bandwagon for you to jump on lol.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by b45her View Post

Wow that was thoughtful, what an addition.

On wuss patrol
    quick 29'er basher sheep ,theres a new bandwagon for you to jump on lol.
    There. Better
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Probably a dumb question - but do you need a special bike rack for this bike?

mtbr member

Don't worry...as long as there are kids, Walmart will still sell you your kids wheel sized bikes.

On wuss patrol
    32 inch wheels: Six more inches she'll notice.

:-D

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yep, we 29ers are sheep and hopefully we'll all return to the one true wheel size and god.
    Last edited by SS Hack; 06-15-2012 at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Seriously, if their was no demand for this stuff, then they wouldn't be in business now would they But of course America wants it's cheap products, but don't want to accept lower salaries, won't stop suing everyone one for anything, so cost of living and production is sky high, so HTF do you expect these low cost products will get made then. If the people of the US who are so up in arms about it gave a $hit and voted with their $$ and spent them in all those small Mom & Pop stores they don't support this wouldn't have happened. Go ***** about this somewhere else like F88, this is a bike forum.
    False, Americans are buying products at what they are lead to believe is a cheaper price and are the same products as purchased elsewhere.
    The fact is not only does walmart not have the lowest prices as advertised, it also sells products which carry the same name, but is manufactured to a lower standard vs it competitors, example, a black and decker drill at Walmart is not the same as a black and decker drill at sears, the same with a Mongoose, paintball or what have you. That my friend is Fraud and is Illegal.
    They also as a business have a moral and ethical responsibility to the communities they supposedly serve to do business in a honest and forthright manner.

Now said throw away products are also a strain on our environment something we all unfortunately are stuck with as our land is filled with throw away garbage.

Air Pirate
    Out of curiosity I went Googling for info on this bike. Not much out there, but I blundered into a message board website specifically set up to serve those who ride Walmart type bikes:

www.bigboxbikes.com • Index page

Tagline from the website: "Support for those who ride BigBox Bicycles including WalMart and Target You don't HAVE to spend $1000 to enjoy bicycling!"

I know they are trying to be serious, to serve their "niche"...but I do find humor in the fact this exists....glorification of the BSO!
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm surprised how many people would buy this disposable POS when most people here act like only the highest end bikes and parts will due. We recently had some poor SOB ask about a $2,000 dream bike and most posters told him the money wouldn't even buy a proper headset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Out of curiosity I went Googling for info on this bike. Not much out there, but I blundered into a message board website specifically set up to serve those who ride Walmart type bikes:

www.bigboxbikes.com • Index page

Tagline from the website: "Support for those who ride BigBox Bicycles including WalMart and Target You don't HAVE to spend $1000 to enjoy bicycling!"

I know they are trying to be serious, to serve their "niche"...but I do find humor in the fact this exists....glorification of the BSO!
    Holy Crap I was browsing and walcrap is selling a DJ Bike eeekkk

Walmart.com: 24" Thruster Flex DJ-24 Men's Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys

mtbr member
    You act like a relationship with Walmart is compulsory.
    It's business, not relationship therapy... very good business, by all measures.
    I'm not a Walmart fan in particular, and i havent been inside one in at least a couple of years, but neither am I a fan of jaded distortions of reality.
    If you don't want to get into it, don't bring it up and suggest people do Walmart research. If you don't want to get into it, STFU.
    Business is not war, the object of business is not to enslave people, punish a local economy and then drive the unemployment rate thru the roof

America needs to stabalize, the dog eat dog mentality does not work and only seeks to feed those with the biggest pocket books.
    For an extreme example of this I strongly suggest you visit a third world country and see where rampant corruption like this leads. Hint we are well on our way from being so ridiculously blind to this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tillers_Rule View Post
    That bike would be great for it's intended purpose, cruising the beach. You guys are talking about it like it's meant to replace your current rides. Did you happen to notice the cruiser handlebars, coaster brake and beach cruiser frame? Boardwalk speeds are usually under 5 mph so I don't really think slowing it down is going to be that big of an issue.
    It is an issue, the problem being the bikes do not function properly at even a basic level as assembled at the store.
    They can be made to be moderately functional at further expense, why on earth would you want to spend another 65 dollars on a tuneup which will only last a short period of time do to the poor quality of components? when you can buy a low end name brand bike for four hundred dollars which will come tuned up properly, and probably with as low miles as most people put on may never need another tune up,.
    what makes more sense, problematic bike, or bike that you simply buy ride that is also PROPERLY FIT, for you?

better than I deserve
    I`m thinking of buying this bike but what upgrades should I do first the wheels or the frame?

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    32" tires? Awesome, totally want to try one out.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    We recently had some poor SOB ask about a $2,000 dream bike and most posters told him the money wouldn't even buy a proper headset.
    Yeah, no matter what price you come in at, you get shot down around here.

Quote Originally Posted by roblee View Post
    I`m thinking of buying this bike but what upgrades should I do first the wheels or the frame?
    Fork first.

Rides like wrecking ball
    I wish they would post this bike online, like soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ncurry1968 View Post
    Probably a dumb question - but do you need a special bike rack for this bike?
    Well, apparently it is really long, and of course the wheels are large. So, a tray type rack prolly wouldn't work without mods. A fork mount would be fine. The kind of hitch/hatch/trunk rack where you hang the frame onto the rack supports would work, but the bike would stick way out from the sides of the car. And it's too long to go in to most cars, or even in the back of a lot of SUVs even with the front wheel off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The best way to protest anything you stand against is with your wallet. If you don't like Walmart, don't shop there. It's why I became a vegetarian 2 years ago - I didn't do it for health reasons, although that has been a great benefit. I hate the way the meat/dairy/poultry industries treat animals - I also hate the way Monstano abuses their power. So, I watch what I buy, even if I have to spend a little more.

Unfortunately, we live in a country that has low-income people, and they need to consume. I have my own office, so once in awhile I get to wander off in the middle of the day - you see a lot of subsidized people shopping at Walmart. They don't make enough to afford the good stuff, but just make enough to shop at Walmart prices.

I was at WallyWorld a month ago and I saw a father buy his two children bikes. They were extremely stoked, the Father didn't even get out the front door before the boy and girl hopped on and rode IN the store right out the front door! Almost hit an old lady, too.

So the dilemma is this: Do we deprive low income children this joy? Back in the day, this dad may not have been able to afford brand new bikes. Used? Yeah, but second hand kids bikes are no fun to a kid.

Back in the day, we knew who the poor kids were - they looked poor. Second hand clothes, second hand bikes, on the lunch program, etc. Now, everything is being shipped in from China at a ridiculous pace, and can be purchased very cheaply. I can't tell who is poor and who is not by clothes alone - kids' style all look the same to me - whether it's from Macy's or Walmart.

I believe WalMart thrives off low-incomes and government checks are cycled right into their cash registers. But I think to those kids who just had a peak in their lives, riding brand new shiny bikes, smiling with joy - and I have a hard time dissing WalMart entirely. I do agree that they can clean up their act in regards to ethics.

mtbr member
    I saw some guy at the path and trail today riding a MTB with 32inch tires he said it was an overdrive from the 90s so i asked him about the 32 inch tires he said their where costum made and i started thinking the future of the overdrive is here!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The best way to protest anything you stand against is with your wallet. If you don't like Walmart, don't shop there. It's why I became a vegetarian 2 years ago - I didn't do it for health reasons, although that has been a great benefit. I hate the way the meat/dairy/poultry industries treat animals - I also hate the way Monstano abuses their power. So, I watch what I buy, even if I have to spend a little more.

Unfortunately, we live in a country that has low-income people, and they need to consume. I have my own office, so once in awhile I get to wander off in the middle of the day - you see a lot of subsidized people shopping at Walmart. They don't make enough to afford the good stuff, but just make enough to shop at Walmart prices.

I was at WallyWorld a month ago and I saw a father buy his two children bikes. They were extremely stoked, the Father didn't even get out the front door before the boy and girl hopped on and rode IN the store right out the front door! Almost hit an old lady, too.

So the dilemma is this: Do we deprive low income children this joy? Back in the day, this dad may not have been able to afford brand new bikes. Used? Yeah, but second hand kids bikes are no fun to a kid.

Back in the day, we knew who the poor kids were - they looked poor. Second hand clothes, second hand bikes, on the lunch program, etc. Now, everything is being shipped in from China at a ridiculous pace, and can be purchased very cheaply. I can't tell who is poor and who is not by clothes alone - kids' style all look the same to me - whether it's from Macy's or Walmart.

I believe WalMart thrives off low-incomes and government checks are cycled right into their cash registers. But I think to those kids who just had a peak in their lives, riding brand new shiny bikes, smiling with joy - and I have a hard time dissing WalMart entirely. I do agree that they can clean up their act in regards to ethics.
    Back in the day, this guy would have made a living wage (even in blue collar jobs) and could have gone down to the LBS and bought a couple shiny bikes with fake gas tanks for the kids. If he didn't have a LBS, he could have grabbed a few AMF cruisers at a hardware store. Those old bikes would have made by American men and women and not Chinese children I might add.

Walmart could have put this guy in his economic position (you never know). They sell cheap stuff, so people can over consume at any income level. I'm a realist and there is no going back now, so hopefully they'll just clean up they're act.

mtbr member

Low income people? We waste over 40 percent of the worlds food, we are the worlds largest consumers on average of products, we are not low income, but we are a society that thinks they are.

I do somewhat agree with your wallet however, boycotting can and should be done.
    I personally will not buy many brands because of what I consider unethical practices ore them donating to something say anti gun I dislike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Low income people? We waste over 40 percent of the worlds food, we are the worlds largest consumers on average of products, we are not low income, but we are a society that thinks they are.
    I work in the financial planning industry and I have met a lot of people on subsidized government checks. In stats and figures, we are a "rich" country, but believe me, when I visit them in their home, helping them apply for MediCal, it's no picnic. Many people are not eligible for government subsidized housing, but make barely enough to pay for their $1,800/month 2 bedroom apartment in my neck of the woods.

A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck - I've met them, I've helped them make use of whatever they can spare, save what they can, but usually it isn't that much. Unfortunately, low-income begets low-income - these people will end up living only on social security in old age, which doesn't adjust for inflation.

For nearly a decade I've been dealing with people's money from the very rich to low-income, and I have learned that stats and figures don't represent the reality for people who are stuck in a low-income rut. It's sad.

mtbr member
    I work in the financial planning industry and I have met a lot of people on subsidized government checks. In stats and figures, we are a "rich" country, but believe me, when I visit them in their home, helping them apply for MediCal, it's no picnic. Many people are not eligible for government subsidized housing, but make barely enough to pay for their $1,800/month 2 bedroom apartment in my neck of the woods.
    Have you ever actually traveled and seen how the rest of the world live? Hint, the rest of the worlds supposed poor do not have big screen TVs, Ipads, I phones and are not by any stretch of the Imagination Obese. They cram families into a single dwelling rather than making sure each child has their own room and every toy they possibly want.

A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck - I've met them, I've helped them make use of whatever they can spare, save what they can, but usually it isn't that much. Unfortunately, low-income begets low-income - these people will end up living only on social security in old age, which doesn't adjust for inflation.
    Yes that is the American way, spend what you have, live beyond your Means, do not plan for the future, buy as much crap you do not need as possible. Our own government pushes it as they in turn are driven for the need of taxes from that spending.

For nearly a decade I've been dealing with people's money from the very rich to low-income, and I have learned that stats and figures don't represent the reality for people who are stuck in a low-income rut. It's sad.
    As it turns out I am nearly finished writing a book on finances, the simple fact of the matter is most people cannot manage their money and do not do basic math for whatever reason.
    I grew up and ended up moving back to an economic depressed area, I have done quit well for myself simply because I understand money and how to budget it well.
    Here is the reality, I have worked in Casinos where people blow their rent money gambling or their grocery money, never occurs to them to merely set the money aside and gamble what they have left after paying for their base bills.
    I have served college kids at a resort who complained about how high their student loans where while paying 150 a night for a hotel room and paying nearly double the price for booze rather than finding someplace more affordable to stay.
    I have seen people on Disability blow their entire checks on booze and gambling as well, then play the "Oh I am disabled cant you help me?" Card
    Selling cars I saw people who were upside down from constantly trading in car after car until finally they could no longer be financed, why? Because somehow they cannot live with anything more than a few years old, they have to have new, not because of Need but because they want.
    As a Construction Contractor for nearly two decades I have seen people who complain about repairing their sewer line, who swear up and down they do not have enough money to pay you, Then turn around and pay 10k for a new lawn or buy a new pickup.
    Ive seen people build or buy a house thinking they can afford it simply because they have enough money to make the payment, they seem to miss factoring in higher costs associated with a large home such as heat, taxes, and upkeep.
    Hell for that matter Ive seen people start to build a house not bothering to find out how much everything besides the structure itself will cost.
    I cannot count how many people turned down work with me over the years because "they did not want to lose their assistance" or "they simply did not want to do that work"
    Ive seen our supposed poor living off the horrible food stamp stacking on hot pockets and pepsi for their children. feeding themselves with Lobster then wondering why they ran out of money for the essentials at the end of the month, you don't say?
    One thing has not changed in all my life working with people, very, very few will stay and work extra hours, hell even work the hours they are scheduled, yet they will complain when their checks are small every month.
    And hey, I understand it all well, I made bad decision when I was younger and slept in my car eating potatoes on job sites, I took a look and figured out what I did wrong and learned from it.

Ironically enough Teachers in the Philippines do not have trouble with their students being hyper active needing to burn off the sugar, they have trouble with children being listless because they do not get to eat every day.

I strongly suggest you do some Traveling outside the USA and see what actual Poverty is like, I promise the first time you step over starving children you will change yer tune.

mtbr member
    A thread about a possible new industry standard turns into this? Pretty sad people. Don't we have enough kaka threads to explore.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Um...yea...I don't think that those are real, nothing on wally world web site

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    A thread about a possible new industry standard turns into this? Pretty sad people. Don't we have enough kaka threads to explore.
    Somehow I doubt Walmart is introducing a new standard. Another way to look at it is that the people posting here are smart and actually care about our country.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I strongly suggest you do some Traveling outside the USA and see what actual Poverty is like, I promise the first time you step over starving children you will change yer tune.
    I have traveled all over the world and seen the worst of the worst - very, very poor in communist countries and under corrupt governments. I've seen, first hand what drug cartels do to a nation. By the way, my family are Filipino emigrants and I am the first generation that hasn't had to pick fields to get by. How you made an assumption otherwise is just plain weird to me. My family has been getting our asses kicked by America for 5 generations. But I do understand white guilt - don't worry, we don't hate you, white people Keep traveling to non-white countries and keep giving my cousins your money.

But, we're talking about America. A low-income person here is rich elsewhere, yada, yada, yada - that doesn't change the fact that people shop at Walmart. Whether it is perceived poverty or reality - it does't change the fact that people are trying to save a dime by shopping there. You can go on about semantics and your crusade, it doesn't change the Walton family global empire, funded primarily but government checks in America.

And I am not sure why you believe I side with Walmart - I am simply offering a "low income" point of view - a mindset - based on a decade if meeting with people in their sh|tty apartments and hearing their woes. Many of these people do the "Spend $5 here? Or spend $2 at Walmart?" math. I call this "poor people mentality" - the belief that they are slaves to their level of income. In a sense they are, but not entirely.

It's the same with fast food industry math - we see fat poor people in the States. Why? Because people can go to spend $40 on nutrition, or $8 on a family meal at KFC. Again, please don't assume that I agree with this thinking, but it is reality. Reality isn't always fun, and it seems you probably seen the reality of my cousins back in the P.I. living it.

Back to bikes - when major manufacturers can start offering $99 bicycles at LBS's, then maybe we can see a shift in people buying those instead of Walmart POS's. But, let's face it - that's not going to happen, not without making sacrifices in quality and distribution. Can Cannondale/Trek/Specialized make a $99.99 bicycle and distribute it through LBS's? I highly doubt it - they can if distributed though Walmart. Look at what Mongoose and Diamondback do. Does this hurt our MTB passion feelings? Yeah, but it's all about money and profit margins. Do I like this? No... didn't I just say that I became a vegetarian based on ethical reasons alone? That means no fried chicken for me - and that's my favorite food of all time. But my personal protest is worth it, and I've converted some based on my conviction alone - I didn't fight them, lecture them, or anything like that - I invited them to see my perspective.

Again, protest with your wallet, friends. Try and get through to the low-income mentality - stuffing it down their throats is not going to persuade anybody - give them positive alternatives, which I have done and helped others see the light. Some people are just trapped there, though, and will never change... and will continue to drive billions of dollars to the Walton Family Empire.

I think it is our duty as passionate cyclists to voice our opinion to bike manufacturers, encouraging them to offer budget friendly bikes in the $100-$200 price point range, and not distribute through evil empires, such as Wally World.

Good luck with your crusade.
    Last edited by Dion; 06-15-2012 at 05:11 PM.

mtbr member
    I have traveled all over the world and seen the worst of the worst - very, very poor in communist countries and under corrupt governments. I've seen, first hand what drug cartels do to a nation. By the way, my family are Filipino emigrants and I am the first generation that hasn't had to pick fields to get by. How you made an assumption otherwise is just plain weird to me. My family has been getting our asses kicked by America for 5 generations. But I do understand white guilt - don't worry, we don't hate you, white people

But, we're talking about America. A low-income person here is rich elsewhere, yada, yada, yada - that doesn't change the fact that people shop at Walmart. Whether it is perceived poverty or reality - it does't change the fact that people are trying to save a dime by shopping there. You can go on about semantics and your crusade, it doesn't change the Walton family global empire, funded primarily but government checks in America.

And I am not sure why you believe I side with Walmart - I am simply offering a "low income" point of view - a mindset - based on a decade if meeting with people in their sh|tty apartments and hearing their woes. Many of these people do the "Spend $5 here? Or spend $2 at Walmart?" math. I call this "poor people mentality" - the belief that they are slaves to their level of income. In a sense they are, but not entirely.

It's the same with fast food industry math - we see fat poor people in the States. Why? Because people can go to spend $40 on nutrition, or $8 on a family meal at KFC. Again, please don't assume that I agree with this thinking, but it is reality. Reality isn't always fun, and it seems you probably seen the reality of my cousins back in the P.I. living it.

Back to bikes - when major manufacturers can start offering $99 bicycles at LBS's, then maybe we can see a shift in people buying those instead of Walmart POS's. But, let's face it - that's not going to happen, not without making sacrifices in quality and distribution. Can Cannondale/Trek/Specialized make a $99.99 bicycle and distribute it through LBS's? I highly doubt it - they can if distributed though Walmart. Look at what Mongoose and Diamondback do. Does this hurt our MTB passion feelings? Yeah, but it's all about money and profit margins. Do I like this? No... didn't I just say that I became a vegetarian based on ethical reasons alone? That means no fried chicken for me - and that's my favorite food of all time. But my personal protest is worth it, and I've converted some based on my conviction alone - I didn't fight them, lecture them, or anything like that - I invited them to see my perspective.

Again, protest with your wallet, friends. Try and get through to the low-income mentality - stuffing it down their throats is not going to persuade anybody - give them positive alternatives, which I have done and helped others seen the light. Some people are just trapped there, though, and will never change... and will continue to drive billions of dollars to the Walton Family Empire.

Good luck with your crusade.
    I would positive rep you just because I love the Phillippines and absolutely lovvee Chicken Stomach Shish Kabob and Lumpia Shanghai yumms, but it says I must spread around some more rep

The problem is their mentality, buying something that is garbage now rather than saving up for something quality later.
    Same as fast food, despite what Amercan poor try to claim, it is cheaper to eat healthy than like crap by a nutritional standpoint, you are correct in one area, it is government induced when they are able to buy garbage with their EBT (food stamp cards) uhggg.

anyhow no mas on this, I said my part Good day, thanks for a polite debate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I would positive rep you just because I love the Phillippines and absolutely lovvee Chicken Stomach Shish Kabob and Lumpia Shanghai yumms, but it says I must spread around some more rep

The problem is their mentality, buying something that is garbage now rather than saving up for something quality later.
    Same as fast food, despite what Amercan poor try to claim, it is cheaper to eat healthy than like crap by a nutritional standpoint, you are correct in one area, it is government induced when they are able to buy garbage with their EBT (food stamp cards) uhggg.

anyhow no mas on this, I said my part Good day, thanks for a polite debate.
    Me, too man. I think we're on the same page. Great passion you got - keep it up. The Evil Empire sucks.

mtbr member
    Somehow I doubt Walmart is introducing a new standard. Another way to look at it is that the people posting here are smart and actually care about our country.
    OK yeah I get it now, 32" wheels means people should be sensitive to low income folk.

BTW, smart is relative on this thread. Both IMO smarter and IMO dumber people are posting on both sides of this debate, but I still don't get what it has to do with a bike.
    Round and round we go

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    OK yeah I get it now, 32" wheels means people should be sensitive to low income folk.

BTW, smart is relative on this thread. Both IMO smarter and IMO dumber people are posting on both sides of this debate, but I still don't get what it has to do with a bike.
    Look, if you have nothing to contribute to the off-topic-ness, you don't have to post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Good job!

We recently had some poor SOB ask about a $2,000 dream bike and most posters told him the money wouldn't even buy a proper headset.
    pure gold, thanks for a good laugh!

Looks like a chilling bike, but also hard to transport/store due to the size/weight.

transmitter~receiver
    For an extreme example of this I strongly suggest you visit a third world country and see where rampant corruption like this leads. Hint we are well on our way from being so ridiculously blind to this nonsense.
    You don't have a fcuking clue.
    I'm a first generation US citizen who's parents grew up destitute. You suggest I visit a 3rd world country? What a joke. Did you go on a church mission trip or something?
    If you said that to my face and I was half as ignorant as you are, I'd knock your ass out.
    The fact that you can complain about corruption and "dog eat dog" business practices with exactly zero effect to an anonymous audience of a handful originates in your quality of life and free time to do it.
    The irony is rich.
    Perspective, idiot.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 06-15-2012 at 08:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Look, if you have nothing to contribute to the off-topic-ness, you don't have to post.

"Look" you say?

Yes I had something to contribute. I came in here to maybe learn something about a new 32" wheeled bike, to find alot a people talking smack about ? related to 32" bike. I think that it's sad for so many threads to turn to kaka so that's what I added. Since there seems to be enough people looking to do battle and struggling with egos in here already, I'll leave it at that.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    you don't have a fcuking clue.
    I'm a first generation us citizen who's parents grew up destitute. You suggest i visit a 3rd world country? What a joke. Did you go on a church mission trip or something?
    If you said that to my face and i was half as ignorant as you are, i'd knock your ass out.
    The fact that you can complain about corruption and "dog eat dog" business practices with exactly zero effect to an anonymous audience of a handful originates in your quality of life and free time to do it.
    The irony is rich.
    Perspective, idiot.

32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart-lol_wut_pear.jpg

mtbr member
    I know, we should get Lance Armstrong to compete on these 32" bikes and if he loses Wal-mart can sue for breach of contract and if he wins the Feds can prosecute since he'll have to be doping to win a race on those things. It's a win-win except for Lance, but hell he's rich and famous so he's the bad guy right?
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

banned
    Looks like there was another sale on crazy, it appears that Blurr bought extra.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm a first generation US citizen who's parents grew up destitute. You suggest I visit a 3rd world country? What a joke. Did you go on a church mission trip or something?
    If you said that to my face and I was half as ignorant as you are, I'd knock your ass out.
    The irony is rich.
    Perspective, idiot.
    Are you saving you grew up in America in conditions just as bad as say as a shanty town in India? You were using an open tench as toilet and picking through garbage for food? Or perhaps you lived off those big bags of "food stuffs" that UN provides to the third world? If America has this level of poverty, than we've failed as a country.

mtbr member
    The only thing crazy is the fact that a thread about an odd sized (odd in that 32' wheels are not exactly the norm or wide spread yet or maybe ever) wheel cruiser has turned into a free-for-all over politics, big box store business practices, and now third world living conditions.
    The comment was meant as a joke, at myself as much as anyone else's expense. Maybe not a good one, but hey we all can't be Dave Atell.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneekeemt View Post
    Um...yea...I don't think that those are real, nothing on wally world web site
    Their real. Went to my local Wal-Mart yesterday and saw them for myself.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by laherna View Post
    Their real. Went to my local Wal-Mart yesterday and saw them for myself.

Is it an actual 32" wheel?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Saw this guy at Bike Party last night. All yor big whill belon to uz.

You don't see this sh|t in da pilipeens.

transmitter~receiver
    [spoonfeeding]
    off-topic internet rants about your particular potpourri of perceived evils are so pathetically misdirected, impotent & futile as to render them impossible to take seriously. it is even difficult to believe that you are able to take yourself seriously.

the ironic part is that, if you had an ounce of the perspective you "strongly urge" people about whom you know nothing to obtain, you might not make yourself look like such a fool.
    [/spoonfeeding]

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Me: (taking out a tape measure and measuring)

Wife: What are you doing?

Me: Measuring this wheel to see if it's actually 32"

Wife: Why?

Me: ...argument on MTBR...

Wife:

transmitter~receiver

Wife:
    lol

now that is some perspective.

mtbr member
    Are you saving you grew up in America in conditions just as bad as say as a shanty town in India? You were using an open tench as toilet and picking through garbage for food? Or perhaps you lived off those big bags of "food stuffs" that UN provides to the third world? If America has this level of poverty, than we've failed as a country.
    I have no Doubt he has no clue, most do not until you experience/see it first hand.

Shanty town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart-shantytown1.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member

Wife:

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    perception: two kids that go to my church want better bikes than they have. Their folks look at Wal-Mart bikes and know that while the bikes are crappy, even that is stretch this week.
    Or next.
    Old poop, here, stashes his ancient Schwinn cruiser in the bike rack at church, and offers to fix up a bike from junk on the farm for the older boy, work up the older boys bike for the younger one while the wealthier folks at church climb out of their 45K suburbans and give us the skunk eye.
    We get the bikes fixed up, and I invite the kids for a dirt-road ride. If all goes well, there are easy trails with moderate elevation change and few tight spots on the local MTN bike trail park.

Mom and dad would still LIKE to buy a new $1000 bike for each kid, but we all know how well that works out. Next best thing is for them to learn NOT to be ashamed at riding a klunker...as well as resist the temptation to beat the crap out of the kids who CAN have the good stuff.

Get the hell off here and ride your bike. Teach someone to enjoy bikes and maintain them, then give them your old ones when you get new. talk to the LBS and organize a club date around putting together bikes out of junk to give away to kids (and their folks) who could use them.

make it about the bikes and about people

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Yes, 32". They were next to the 29" bikes so comparing was easy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Last night at San Jose Bike Party, there were A LOT of people on those WallyWorld fixies. They all were having a great time, and nobody hated.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by laherna View Post
    Yes, 32". They were next to the 29" bikes so comparing was easy.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    I ride my Walmart fixie all the time... And it treats me well! And has yet to break.
    Current Ride:2012 BAMF Full Nelson

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What's the best seat for a 32er?
    I'm also looking for some good 32er-specific grips.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    What's the best seat for a 32er?
    I'm also looking for some good 32er-specific grips.
    You for got computer, shoes, pump ...

transmitter~receiver
    I have no Doubt he has no clue, most do not until you experience/see it first hand.

Shanty town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    No doubt, eh? You are pretty sure about things you have no way of knowing. That takes a lot of ego... as does the assumption that you are somehow unique in witnessing strife. On Wikipedia?
    nice.

WIGGLER
    You for got computer, shoes, pump ...
    ........And streamers, spoke straws and state licence plate with your name on it!

Dialed!!!

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No doubt, eh? You are pretty sure about things you have no way of knowing. That takes a lot of ego... as does the assumption that you are somehow unique in knowing strife.
    Where were you brought up that was just as bad as some hellhole in the third world? What State? Please don't say California ... right under my nose.

WIGGLER

Saaaweeeet!!!

MR. 36er TROLL

transmitter~receiver
    Where were you brought up that was just as bad as some hellhole in the third world? What State? Please don't say California ... right under my nose.
    when did I say that?

my point was that neither you nor Slurr knows the first thing about me, yet he "strongly urges" how I should inform myself and get some perspective. that comment is dripping with smugness, ego, and ignorance.
    now you're out of left field saying I claimed to be from a place as bad as what you saw in Slumdog Millionaire?
    forgive me if I bow out of the insanity of y'all's bitter Saturday-afternoon-behind-my-computer-in-Cali tirades.
    It's WAY off topic, really fukcing tired, and completely ridiculous.

transmitter~receiver

that thing is nutz!! (and totally killer)

i so look forward to the Slurr/Hack rants about American excessivism and how it flies in the face of meth-addicted child whores in Sao Paolo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    when did I say that?

my point was that neither you nor Slurr knows the first thing about me, yet he "strongly urges" how I should inform myself and get some perspective. that comment is dripping with smugness, ego, and ignorance.
    now you're out of left field saying I claimed to be from a place as bad as what you saw in Slumdog Millionaire?
    forgive me if I bow out of the insanity of y'all's bitter Saturday-afternoon-behind-my-computer-in-Cali tirades.
    It's WAY off topic, really fukcing tired, and completely ridiculous.
    No smugness here; I just wanted to know where this insane abject poverty was in America that we didn't know the first thing about. Other people may have grown up poor too and you don't see us whining.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The irony is rich.
    Perspective, idiot.
    This is the comment that made some of us believe you grew up like an animal pooping in a hole, eating United Nation's food aid and living in a cardboard box. That's how some people live in this world, believe or not. American poor is just not that poor.

transmitter~receiver
    No smugness here; I just wanted to know where this insane abject poverty was in America that we didn't know the first thing about. Other people may have grown up poor too and you don't see us whining.
    I didn't say you were smug.
    I certainly didn't anything say about insane abject poverty in the United States (everything in the western hemisphere is America )
    I also never whined.

3 strikes = out
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 06-16-2012 at 04:01 PM.

transmitter~receiver
    This is the comment that made some of us believe you grew up like an animal pooping in a hole, eating United Nation's food aid and living in a cardboard box.
    since I wrote it, i'm familiar with what you were referencing. i couldn't in 100 years have misinterpreted it with as zeal as you did.
    that's a reading comprehension problem with two massive scoops of your agenda distortion for you.
    nothing i can do about that.
    That's how some people live in this world, believe or not. American poor is just not that poor.
    Oh really? It's so crazy that you two incredibly empathetic geniuses are only two people on the planet who know that.

here's an idea: since you care so much and somehow have convinced yourself that you see things other people don't, why don't you put down your keyboard and stop wasting your time making exactly ZERO difference go actually do something about it rather than pathetically shouting at a wall like a mentally disadvantaged zealot?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    25 years or so ago, a Nashville Piano player named Bruce Hornsby had a hit record, "that's just the way it is". A line in that song ends with "get a job"; the understanding is that what was achievable for some may not be for all. Poor is a state of mind as well as a state of being, I think, and some people don't know they can escape it.

The don't know how and can't see the path out.

So, in the end, we're arguing whether or not its OK to look down on them.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfatbaldguy View Post
    25 years or so ago, a Nashville Piano player named Bruce Hornsby had a hit record, "that's just the way it is". A line in that song ends with "get a job"; the understanding is that what was achievable for some may not be for all. Poor is a state of mind as well as a state of being, I think, and some people don't know they can escape it.

The don't know how and can't see the path out.

So, in the end, we're arguing whether or not its OK to look down on them.
    correction: we were talking about a bicycle with 32" tires until the evangelists showed up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2