Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    When i saw this, i went right to walmart......they did not have any.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah, I'm thinkin so too. I'd like to add this Super 32 to my big wheel bike collection. I already have a 29er and 36er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    What is the B.S.D?
    I haven't actually had the pleasure of seeing one of these bad boys yet so I'm just guessing here...I'm utilizing the fat tire concept of the 622 BSD for 29ers and I'm going to say the BSD for these bad boys is likely 698. The approximate standard measurement of the 622 wheel equals about 24.5 inches. It is likely that the BSD standard measurement for a 32 inch wheel would be 27.5 inches (makes sense since 32 is 3 more than 29...right?) I converted 698 mm into inches by dividing it by 25.4 and got roughly 27.5 inches. So again, I'm not certain of this because I haven't seen these in stores yet, but I would bet the BSD is pretty close to 698. I don't know if the tires would say or not. Most tires do, but some tires don't. I have a 36 inch cruiser from Coker that only gives the tire size of 36 X 2 1/4 and that it's a 4 ply tire...nothing more. Incidentally, the coker 36 inch (and at this time ALL 36 inch rims) has a BSD of 787 in case you or anyone else is curious which is roughly 31 inches.

I actually sent an email to Kent Bicycles asking about the Super 32 Cruisers and they replied saying that Wal Mart will infact be carrying these in stores again in the future. So far I haven't seen any, but I keep checking. I am thinking probably closer to the holiday season possibly.

Hope this helps a little.
    Last edited by Monster36er; 09-02-2012 at 10:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    I thought they would look weird but when you posted a picture, they really did not look very different from a 29" bike.
    Pictures rarely do the real thing justice. Before I got my Monster Cruiser 36er I had seen pictures on line of other fabricated 36ers standing next to 29ers and it didn't look like anything really. Then when I order my cruiser...and it actually had to come in TWO boxes because of it's size, I was made a believer. When I first opened the box containing the wheels I stared in awe for about 5 minutes because I couldn't believe how massive those 36 inch wheels and tires were. After I got the bike assembled I put it up to my 29er and that 7 inch size difference was REALLY noticeable.

A 32 inch wheel might not stack up against a 29er that much just because it's only 3 inches...it would be like comparing a 29er to a 26er. But a 32er compared to a 24er or a 26er, you would definitely see the difference in person.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBuddy View Post
    How do you get tires or tubes for this monster?
    That's a very good question. I imagine you would have to contact the company directly. I have a similar problem with my Monster Cruiser 36er. 36 inch tires aren't readily available on the market to just walk into any ole bike shop and by them. Fortunately, the concept of the Monster Cruiser was built off of the 36 inch big wheel unicycle (essentially it is built with two unicycle wheels). Unicycle.com actually carries these replacement parts for the unicycles that will work for my cruiser, tires, tubes, and even rims. Unfortunately they aren't cheap. The rims are about $130, the tubes about $38 and the tires run $82. But at least they are available through unicycle.com

Unfortunately I do not know of any 32 inch unicycles and I know that unicycle.com doesn't have anything in that size. One concept to understand about this 32 inch bike is that it is fairly new and you own one at your own risk. If you need a new tube, blow a tire, or bust a rim, you may not be able to find a readily able replacement just yet. Another issue I noticed (because I like to tinker with bikes and customize them) from this picture you posted is that the rims are 48 spoke. I was considering getting one of these and gearing it up. If it had 36 spoke rims, that would be a much easier thing to do. I could just get drum hubs and everything would be awesomeness. But with no supports for disc brake compatibility, and it doesn't look like the rims have a decent enough braking surface to do rim brakes, I'm limited on what I could do without having to resort to a lot of expensive modifications. I guess I'll have my work cut out for me when and IF I can ever get one of these.

Thanks for posting these pictures. I was unaware that 32 inch bicycles existed until I came across this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by assassin346 View Post
    When i saw this, i went right to walmart......they did not have any.
    I actually emailed Kent Bicycles, the company behind these monster bicycles. They said that Wal Mart will be carrying them in the future but could not give me a definitive time frame. As bicycles are typically a favorite Christmas gift, I'd look for them a little more toward the holiday season. I check every time I go to Wal Mart just in case.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Monster36er:

On my 36er it looks like nothing special by its self mine is more of a larger then scale..seat (14" wide), stand over height, handlebar size, all of it make it look normal... until stood beside a 26". Mine comes in a single box.

I also have the kent made onyx 29er beach cruiser and it also runs the stupid 48 straight spoke "deep v" wheels. But I had the misfortune of the coaster brake not being smooth and clunky when free-wheelin. Called Kent found that the entire wheel with coaster brake etc... was $30 shipped. so prices appear to be really inexpensive. (by the way the free wheel smoothed out when the guys at the shopped started riding it around for a couple of days, it broke right in LOL)

I also wish they were more normal spoked as I would love t do a multi-speed in one of these.
    I am wondering if a fsa Metropolis (if i remember the name and model correctly) 2 speed crank would be the way to go.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jnl1105 View Post
    Monster36er:

On my 36er it looks like nothing special by its self mine is more of a larger then scale..seat (14" wide), stand over height, handlebar size, all of it make it look normal... until stood beside a 26". Mine comes in a single box.

I also have the kent made onyx 29er beach cruiser and it also runs the stupid 48 straight spoke "deep v" wheels. But I had the misfortune of the coaster brake not being smooth and clunky when free-wheelin. Called Kent found that the entire wheel with coaster brake etc... was $30 shipped. so prices appear to be really inexpensive. (by the way the free wheel smoothed out when the guys at the shopped started riding it around for a couple of days, it broke right in LOL)

I also wish they were more normal spoked as I would love t do a multi-speed in one of these.
    I am wondering if a fsa Metropolis (if i remember the name and model correctly) 2 speed crank would be the way to go.....
    What brand is your 36er? Mine is a Coker Monster Cruiser. It was originally a 3 speed with coaster brake when I first assembled it. But when I couldn't climb even the smallest grade hill in first gear without killing myself, I changed it out for a dual drive hub and turned it into a 27 speed. I then had issues with the gearing ratio still being too high. I could climb mild to moderate hills in 1st gear, but steep hills were so much of a challenge it made more sense to just walk it up the hill. Unfortunately 27th gear was so high that I could barely pedal. The best I did with that set up was about 30 mph in 23rd gear. Currently my cruiser is disassembled and boxed back up until such a time that I can reconfigure the proper gearing ratios and order all the parts I need to rebuild it. I've even considered putting a front wheel motor on it.

Here is a picture of my cruiser with the dual drive hub setup. Would love to see a picture of your 36er.

Originally I wanted to go with a 14 Speed Rohloff hub but the Rohloff hubs are only 32 hole and there are not yet any 787 mm rims with 32 hole drilling. I could have pulled it off on a 48 hole rim (just leaving out a hole after every two to lace a 32h hub to a 48h rim), but unfortunately unicycle.com doesn't appear to carry the 787 mm rims in 48h anymore. 48 hole wheels can really complicate things because the hubs and rims are not as readily available for all bicycle setups. I would love to have 48 spoke wheels on my 36er just for stability reasons because the rims are so big...but I have found that the 36 spoke setup works nicely provided the wheel is built properly.

When I actually upgraded to the dual drive hub I ended up having to build the wheels myself. The bike came with 13g spokes but the SRAM hub won't accept anything larger than 14g so I had to order 362mm 14g spokes from unicycle.com which fortunately were just the right length for my set up. I rebuilt front and rear with 14g spokes. I did it myself because none of the bicycle shops in town could do it for me. Three of them laughed at me when I told them what I wanted them to do...and with what size wheels, and one of them just gave me an honest answer that they did not deal with unicycle wheels about 29 inch and therefore did not have the right size truing stand with which to build suck large rims and encouraged me to check out tutorials online about wheel building. Surprisingly I built them nice and tight and as straight as a professional lace job...and I've never built a wheel in my life! The modifications I plan to make, however, might see me having to either trim my own spokes down or see if the bicycle shop can assist me with that project.
    Last edited by Monster36er; 09-02-2012 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IthaDan View Post
    Can't be bothered to read 13 pages (and I need posts anyway to post images and links)

is it really 32" or just a 622/700c/29er measured to the diameter of the tire instead of the rim?
    I have not have the good fortune of seeing this bike yet. However, I can pretty well assure you it isn't just a 700c rim. The only way to accomplish a tire even close to 32 inches on a 700c rim would be to have a tire with a section height of at least 95 mm which is close to 4 inches and would yield a tire diameter of about 31.9 inches. The fattest 29er tires I've seen online so far are 3 inches wide which make them measure about 30 inches in diameter. But some would say if the tire doesn't measure EXACTLY 32 inches or more then it's a 31 inch tire. Personally I disagree with that...if the tire is more than 31.5 inches it should be labeled as a 32.

I don't really know what the exact BSD is for the rim on this bike, but given that 29ers use rims with a BSD of 24.5 inches, I would estimate that a 32er would use a rim with a BSD of 27.5 inches which would make the BSD about 698 mm. Someone else posted measuring (what I'm pretty sure was an OUTSIDE diameter and not a bead seat diameter) the 32er rims at 27.25. If that is true, taking into account that the bead seat is usually 7 mm from the outer lip of the rim, the BSD would be about 678 mm or roughly 26.7 inches. In this case, if the tire being (I'm guessing) approximately 57 mm section height, the tire diameter would actually only be about 31.1 inches...indeed too small for it to be called a 32er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nurse Ben:

Are you sure you weren't maybe just measuring the outside diameters of those rims? 700c rims have a BSD of 622 mm which is = 24.5 inches. I know that the 36 inch rims have a BSD of 787 mm which = 31 inches. I'm thinking if you measured the outside diameter of that 32er as 27.25, giving account for the 7mm distance between the bead seat and the rim lip...times 2 sides, the BSD for those rims is actually about 678 mm which is = 26.7 inches. Assuming a 57 mm section height for a 2.125 tire designation that would certainly make a tire diameter of only about 31.1 inches which really doesn't deserve the designation 32er as you pointed out. However, on a side note, on my Monster Cruiser, the section height is pretty deep in comparison to the width. Even with a 31 inch BSD the tires on my cruiser still measure exactly 36 inches when fully aired up.

I was just wondering if maybe you measured the outside diameter instead of the BSD. The outside diameter of a 700c rim does indeed measure 25 inches (approx 636 mm), and the outside diameter of the 36er rims (at least what I measured when I took my rims apart) is about 31.73 inches (roughly 806 mm).

Recovering couch patato
    32" tires, I bet the Walmart bike is the only way to obtain them.
    Tubes, good question. Ever notice how tubes are a bit, well, non-rigid, in a stretchy kind of way? Just air up a wide enough 29" tube and forget about it. Works in 36" tires also. Rubber, it stretches. Every (un)grown man knows.

mtbr member
    holy crap!!
    2013 Specialized P 26 AM green/purple. Nuff said

Giant Faith

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster36er View Post
    What brand is your 36er? Mine is a Coker Monster Cruiser. It was originally a 3 speed with coaster brake when I first assembled it. But when I couldn't climb even the smallest grade hill in first gear without killing myself, I changed it out for a dual drive hub and turned it into a 27 speed. I then had issues with the gearing ratio still being too high. I could climb mild to moderate hills in 1st gear, but steep hills were so much of a challenge it made more sense to just walk it up the hill. Unfortunately 27th gear was so high that I could barely pedal. The best I did with that set up was about 30 mph in 23rd gear. Currently my cruiser is disassembled and boxed back up until such a time that I can reconfigure the proper gearing ratios and order all the parts I need to rebuild it. I've even considered putting a front wheel motor on it.

Here is a picture of my cruiser with the dual drive hub setup. Would love to see a picture of your 36er.

Originally I wanted to go with a 14 Speed Rohloff hub but the Rohloff hubs are only 32 hole and there are not yet any 787 mm rims with 32 hole drilling. I could have pulled it off on a 48 hole rim (just leaving out a hole after every two to lace a 32h hub to a 48h rim), but unfortunately unicycle.com doesn't appear to carry the 787 mm rims in 48h anymore. 48 hole wheels can really complicate things because the hubs and rims are not as readily available for all bicycle setups. I would love to have 48 spoke wheels on my 36er just for stability reasons because the rims are so big...but I have found that the 36 spoke setup works nicely provided the wheel is built properly.

When I actually upgraded to the dual drive hub I ended up having to build the wheels myself. The bike came with 13g spokes but the SRAM hub won't accept anything larger than 14g so I had to order 362mm 14g spokes from unicycle.com which fortunately were just the right length for my set up. I rebuilt front and rear with 14g spokes. I did it myself because none of the bicycle shops in town could do it for me. Three of them laughed at me when I told them what I wanted them to do...and with what size wheels, and one of them just gave me an honest answer that they did not deal with unicycle wheels about 29 inch and therefore did not have the right size truing stand with which to build suck large rims and encouraged me to check out tutorials online about wheel building. Surprisingly I built them nice and tight and as straight as a professional lace job...and I've never built a wheel in my life! The modifications I plan to make, however, might see me having to either trim my own spokes down or see if the bicycle shop can assist me with that project.
    Here are some pics of mine and it also came equipped with Schlumpf Innovations Gearing Systems - Speed Drive, Mountain Drive, High Speed Drive
    let me know what u think..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart-bwb-rs.jpg  

32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart-bwb-new-handle-bars-rs.jpg  

32inch wheeled bikes now at Walmart-bwb-sticker.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes, I measured the outside rim diameter, kinda forgot to measure the rim itself, I was too excited to get it riding.

It appears to be ~ 2.5" larger diameter than a 29" rim, so about the same increase as for a 26" to a 29", but I'll have nothing definitive until I get around to delfating it for a franken tire I'm making.

It is a 48h rim, so with some fancy spoking you could build it into a 32h or a 36h hub, but a 28h hub would probably not go so easilly.

The rim does have enough sidewall for a braking surface, but good luck getting the brake pads to line up.

I rode it off road today on some technical single track and it was a decent ride considering the tire design, on par with what you'd expect for a 2" cruiser tire from China

My Frankentire will be a RR 2.25 snakeskin.

Not to bash 36ers, as that's what I ride when I go big; tomorrow at Tsali if the rain stays at bay, BUT a 36er is a really big wheel (esp fora bike) and there is a lot of room between that and the 29", so it wouldn't hurt to have another wheel standard, I'm just not sure if a 32" (31") is the way to go or if a true mid point sized 33.5" would be a better fit.

Kent and Walmart have established a standard, not sure how they decided on the sizing, but the tools are out there, in some small fishing village on the Yangtze

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    keep in mind surly has the nard which is a 29er that is 3"wide so it should be taller then standard 29er....

Recovering couch patato
    Interesting they decided to make it a 31.5" rather than full-on 32". Still very much in the Red Hot zone of XC supreme for adult sized riders I think.
    Go ahead folks, make 2.5" tallers Knards or 5" taller Larry's for this, and the frame to fit it. How awesome that's be... I'd be just happy with 32x2.4" Racing Ralphs myself. they seem to work fine for my type of riding. Oh, and a pair of Supermoto's of course. Or should I say Black Floyds?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Interesting they decided to make it a 31.5" rather than full-on 32".
    The size difference from the 29" to the 32" is ~2.5" wich is the same difference between a 26" and a 29". It makes sense if you consider that sizing is somewhat arbitrary to begin with, so why 36" for instance when we could easilly have gotten 33, 34, or 35"...

It's not a huge difference over a 29er, but to be fair, comparing a Knard 29er to the cruiser tire that came on the 32" is not realistic. Apples to apples, a realistic comparison would be a RR 2.25 x 29 to a RR 2.25 x 32, in which case the size difference would be ~2.5"

I'm building a tire from the above, it should be done before snow falls, then I'll have a better idea of how it "can ride".

If you think about the momentum of the 29er movement, apparently 2.5" is significant

Now as to Speicalized doing anything "specialized", get real, they follow the money not the art.

Recovering couch patato
    +2.5" is great. It will somewhat fit in a 29+ bike. Especially with a slightly narrow tire. Say, a 1.8" full slick or negative profile slick. Fun for commuting.
    36" is what it is, for uni purposes.

What's that with the tire you'll make? What technique, and for a bike or uni?

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    Yup it's a actual 32" wheel, nobody has come though with a BSD measurement though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What's that with the tire you'll make? What technique, and for a bike or uni?
    Two tires, cut down, glued and stictched together to make one, frankentire.

It's crude, but it can work, esp for low pressures and low speeds that unicyclists use.

I'm going uptown on this tire, having a shop repair shop do the glue and stitch work so it's tight and clean.

It's not as nice a ready made tire, but I think it'll be the best I can get for a while unless someone gets frisky and makes a decent 32" tire and rim.

So about creating a new wheel standard...what would be the best upsize from the 29"? Is a ~2.5" diameter increase, similar to the difference from 26" to 29", the best way to go or does the difference need to be more significant?

I rode the 32" on trails last weekend and it was okay, rolled like a taller 29er, but the tire was only so-so, not a good rubber and tread for wet rocks and such. The 32" was easier to ride than a 36" and faster than a 29", but I didn't really feel I was slowed down in any way due to the increased diameter over a 29er. So then I rode my 36er a couple days later on a mix of double and single track, and ya now, the 36" is pretty durn nice and quite rideable, but it's some work!

For me, as a unicyclist, I find a 29 x 2.4 to be a decent all arounder, but at times it's a little on the short and slow side; keep in mind that we ride 1:1 The 36" is a nice riding wheel, but when it's tight, slow, or steep ups, it's a beast to work. I wouldn't give up either wheel size, but given the choice I'd run a 29 x 3" for technical stuff and wet weather, a 32 x 2.25-2.5 for XC, and a 36 x 2.25 for easier mixed rides with an eye toward endurance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I saw these things when I went to Walmart several weeks ago. They're MONSTROUS. Looks fun.

Recovering couch patato
    In my opinion, a 3" move up from 29", so 76mm taller rims, makes most sense. Walmart seems to have gone with a bit less than that, but close enough.
    Having 26.5 - 29 - 32 - 36 would be a nice spread to me.
    All the BS talk of 650B vs. 26" or 650B vs. 29" is just that, BS. Measurement error will unable us to make a good decision. 26" vs. 29", that's clear cut. And no-one who considers 26"small can in theirr right mind call 29" too big. Take a step back and see the tiny difference.

Respect, BTW, for making your own tires. This could have been done decades ago, but wasn't00. Not even when there were calls for 29" or better rubber.
    As long as no really proper stuff comes out in small-32", I will still prefer 698mm bead seat diameter for a 32" standard. Also, it would do fine with skinny tires for road use. 700c is ridiculous for big guys oin road bikes, regardless oof how silly narrow tires happen to be by themselves. A 698mm standard, 711mm outside diameter rim, with 30mm tall hybrid tire, makes for a 761mm tire. this will work fine for big folks. The bike it comes in, IMO should still be XC oriented. A 29" bikes keeps the ideal BB height when fitted with CX or road tires, the tire itselff adjust pedal clearance as necessary. Same will go for 32".

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I can't believe this. We're just getting into 29s in Europe....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've been riding the stock 32" wheel/tire for a few weeks now, finally made the commitment and cut apart a perfectly solid set of Maxxis Advantage tires:

I did a simple two inch overlap, ground the knobbies down, used barge cement to attach the ends, then I had a shoe repair shop sew the overlaps down and tie the beads together, coated the threads and ends with a rubberized armor

Final product: Maxxis Advantage 32" x 2.1" Silkworm, 680gm!

It rides awesome!!

WIGGLER

Almost a 32er

Well I bit and ordered one from Wally world dot com....got it yesterday and put it together last nite. The tires are closer to 31" than 32". The plan is to "adjust" the frame a little and make it an over sized BMX. I might ride it this weekend and then put it under
    the knife.
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast