Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    _CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014

30 day no alcohol challenge - 2018

Getting ready to quit drinking for 30 days again in January. Did this last year with great success, and thought I'd post it up again for anyone else that wants to play along.

This isn't about getting into a 12 step program, or admitting you have a problem, or any of that stuff....it's more of a reset, or a cleanse, and maybe for some people a first step in making some bigger changes.

As with last year, If you think it's stupid, have negative comments, or want to sing the praises of alcohol, please move along.

Looking back, last year was a real course correction for me after drifting into drinking every day, gaining too much weight, etc. I ended up going four months before incorporating moderate drinking back into my life. Lost 20 pounds by July. I've regained some of that weight, which is pretty typical for me in the second half of the year, but still down about 12 pounds from my Jan 1 weight last year. All the other stuff people usually experience when they quit drinking was true for me too. Sleep improved, daily energy improved and more consistent, mood improved, blood pressure came down, got more stuff done - hobbies and around the house, more money in my pocket, etc.

So who's in? I'm in. Are you in?

mtbr member
    I'm in! I too have drifted into some bad habits of drinking too often and added some pounds on. Time to drop the pounds in preparation for an awesome summer of riding!

Thanks for posting this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm definitely back in this year too. Last year's 30 day challenge was just what I needed, and help set the course for the year's consumptive practices. Aside from the 30 days of not drinking, my wife and I drank considerably less throughout the year, were very conscious of what and when we drank, and overall changed our habits. Toward the end of summer I brewed off and kegged a few batches of beer - while it was nice to have beer on tap again, my wife and I decided that it just isn't worth it having it around - a lot of empty calories and drinking it because its there. If I brew again, it will be for special occasions with big groups where I'll donate a keg, but otherwise, probably not going down that road anymore, even though its been a part of my life for years. Looking forward to a "dry" January.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Hi There!
    In again, and thanks for starting this. I was wondering if someone would. I might go until February 18th.
    NTFTC

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I did 7 months last year. I may go again, probably not that long, but I swear my weight is directly tied to alcohol consumption no matter how much exercise I do. That's what drives me absolutely crazy. I cook almost every meal, I've gone up and down in physical exercise, alcohol is literally the only factor that I change weight with. Recently got back into rock climbing and weight is absolutely the opposite of what I want to deal with right now.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I too find that alcohol is directly linked to weight. I quit 9 months ago and have dropped from 165 to 145 pounds. I am amazed at how much faster and easier climbing is now. I am able to clean extended steep trail sections that I once thought would never be possible. It has changed the way I ride. I converted an older bike to SS which I am loving and am now rethinking how my other bikes are geared.

mtbr member
    I stopped drinking when I was about twenty and haven't drank in thirty years but I wish you guys all the best. No pathological hatred for alcohol, if you want to drink then go for it, but man that stuff can screw up your life. Personally, I don't need it.

mtbr member
    I stopped drinking just before Thanksgiving and only had a few during the holidays.

Prior to stopping I was drinking wine everyday for probably all of this year. But I like the way it cuts the edge off the day, just helps me relax and I really felt like I needed it, but I stopped cold turkey.

Wierd part of it is I did not lose any weight!!!

The struggle is real

I do not know when I will drink regularly again, I don't even think about starting back up. In a way, I feel more in control if I do not drink.

Oh, and my endurance drops if I drink regularly so I got that too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am in.

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    I am in.
    Sleep improves?!? I want to do this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Significantly. 30 days? Bah! Make it lifetime and EVERYTHING improves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yep a good idea. I have done this a few times in the past. For me it's just a time to reset, and take a break. I get in the habit of drinking everyday and this is a way to break up that pattern.

Some years I have gone two or even three months alcohol free

Rocks belong
    In as well, starting Monday, Jan 1
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Everyone should do this just to see if they can. Good luck you guys!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Allright!

It seems like we have a group started. Lets keep each other on track and try to make it one month or longer.

Just like Jerry Sienfeld lets see who can be master of their domain

Monkey Wrangler
    I'm back in for this year too!

mtbr member
    I'm in! First timer here. Thanks for posting this.

May contain nuts
    Just gone 2018 here, HNY all. I could lose a few pounds so I guess Iím joining you sad bunch of prohibitionists

mtbr member
    I don't have a lot of willpower. I'm very thankful that I never started smoking as I know I'd find it hard to stop. Stayed away from drugs too.

The only way I've found to stop entrenched habits is to stop completely and tell myself I'm a different person who does not do that thing. Then it's important to not beat yourself up about the occasional slip. Just let it go and get back on track.

This has worked for drinking, eating certain bad foods and pulling out my own toenails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am a regular one beer a day. Even cutting out my weekday beer is an improvement. I may give that a go this year.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    I did 7 months last year. I may go again, probably not that long, but I swear my weight is directly tied to alcohol consumption no matter how much exercise I do. That's what drives me absolutely crazy. I cook almost every meal, I've gone up and down in physical exercise, alcohol is literally the only factor that I change weight with. Recently got back into rock climbing and weight is absolutely the opposite of what I want to deal with right now.
    Ya I have noticed the same thing, I don't have any scientific proof, but I know drinking especially good beer(my favorite double IPA ) slows down my metabolism. When I stop for a month and keep my XC riding up, I loose body fat readily.

So I will throw down some brew tonight and I am in for at least January if not longer!!!

Thanks
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm in! Great idea.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Okay, looks like we have 14 in for the challenge as of this morning 1-1-18.

Looking forward to clearing out the system in the coming days. Did my annual Jan 1 weigh-in first thing this morning, and getting ready to head out for a ride. Waiting for it to warm up a bit from the current 8 degrees.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Kudos to all giving it a shot! (No pun intended).

Changing habits can be challenging, I encourage all who are trying to abstain to seek out support and encouragement from each other before giving in to temptation.

Good luck to all !
    Bicycles don't have motors.

That makes me smart
    Shit. I'm out, as of 12 noon. :-(

Hey, it was after a ride, parking lot with the buds...

Dammit.

mtbr member
    Shit. I'm out, as of 12 noon.
    No, you're not out. You just had a blip. The fact you're annoyed about it proves you're still in the game.

It's not a game you win. It's a game you play anew every day but it's gets easier to play as times goes by. In fact losing helps you to figure out how not to lose the next time.

Tomorrow is a new day and you're still in the game :0)

mtbr member
    I'm in, but I got over 9 years so far

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Wanted to share if this helps anyone:

One thing that helped me a bunch is I started drinking soda water. I hated it prior, but we were given a soda stream and I'd often flavor it with a bit of OJ or lime or lemons. A friend of mine did the same who stopped drinking completely. I still drink some, but almost lost my taste for beer and liquor and rarely crave it.

May contain nuts
    Alas, lasted 1 day - father in law produced a 50yr old Islay single malt...was only one dram. Tomorrows another day.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    No shame in starting (restarting?) on January 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th, etc.

mtbr member
    Might try 28 days off for February, I'm heading away for a week's riding holiday at the start of March so it'll be good to try drop a few extra kilos and kick the training up a notch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Wanted to share if this helps anyone:

One thing that helped me a bunch is I started drinking soda water. I hated it prior, but we were given a soda stream and I'd often flavor it with a bit of OJ or lime or lemons. A friend of mine did the same who stopped drinking completely. I still drink some, but almost lost my taste for beer and liquor and rarely crave it.
    X2

Soda water or sparkling water. Either one was good for a diversion or a feeling of contentment. Start with that when you feel a craving, and lo and behold, desire for the alcohol disappears.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm in on the challenge. I need the physical and mental reset.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I swear my weight is directly tied to alcohol consumption no matter how much exercise I do.
    Same. Other factors have an impact as well, but nothing seems as directly correlated to my weight as beer consumption.

Considering I was shocked to find myself ten pounds over where I like to be this morning and I'm looking for ways to save money in 2018... I'm in! May even see how it feels to just keep it rolling after January. The older I get the more alcohol just seems to be a waste of money and brain cells... And worst of all; Saturday mornings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Not in.

mtbr member
    Cut out the calorie-rich beer and just enjoy a nice, smooth bourbon on the rocks.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Alas, lasted 1 day - father in law produced a 50yr old Islay single malt...was only one dram. Tomorrows another day.

You're not out until you quit trying.....you are allowed to get back on the wagon as many times as it takes!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Not in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Cut out the calorie-rich beer and just enjoy a nice, smooth bourbon on the rocks.
    C'mon guys, is it so hard to just ignore a thread that doesn't pertain to you? Pretend it's an e-bike thread if you must.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Lol, man I hope this thread doesn't regress to the same level as e-bike threads.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    C'mon guys, is it so hard to just ignore a thread that doesn't pertain to you? Pretend it's an e-bike thread if you must.
    Right? What kind of person trolls people trying to make a positive change in their life? Especially when it comes to something like alcohol. It's pretty much the definition of psychopathic behavior.

We had a similar issue last year. The trolls just can't resist. Rather than engaging with them, I just added them to my ignore list, and have done the same with these two. What's funny is how as the year goes on, you find that pretty much any post by the people who troll a thread like this is worthless, and having them on your ignore list pays dividends going forward.

Please....don't feed the trolls.

mtbr member
    Going without alcohol for 30 days is no challenge for me. But going without chocolate for 30 days would be a challenge.

CEO Product Failure
    I'm in thru Easter. However, I will indulge in a couple cheat days: Superbowl, my BDay and St. Pattys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    Going without alcohol for 30 days is no challenge for me. But going without chocolate for 30 days would be a challenge.
    Both substances trigger the reward systems of the brain. Many who are trying to abstain from alcohol find that the rewards of chocolate help get through cravings for alcohol.

Have a candy bar and stay on the wagon!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Im in did it last year and no booze until summer...

mtbr member
    How about going without MTBR for 30 days - ha! Sometimes, I feel like I'm spending too much time on this site. I'm not sure why this site is strangely addicting?

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    Right? What kind of person trolls people trying to make a positive change in their life? Especially when it comes to something like alcohol. It's pretty much the definition of psychopathic behavior.

We had a similar issue last year. The trolls just can't resist. Rather than engaging with them, I just added them to my ignore list, and have done the same with these two. What's funny is how as the year goes on, you find that pretty much any post by the people who troll a thread like this is worthless, and having them on your ignore list pays dividends going forward.

Please....don't feed the trolls.

C'mon. I know what you mean, but that's the beauty of this site- there's always a little humor to leaven the heavy stuff.

Pos rep makes me sad
    Alcohol used for external wounds... alcohol used for internal wounds... not super effective at either, seemingly cleaning out the more helpful and sensible parts in some cases. xD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    You can get yourself off anything if you want to.

There are loads of things I used to eat and drink that I have not touched in years. When I was young I ate a lot of chocolate but I decided to stop and didn't touch it for about twenty-years. What you find is that your tastes change and you no longer grave, or even enjoy things you used to. I found that I didn't even like chocolate any more and not eating it was not a chore.

Having said that, I got back into eating chocolate a few years ago and now eat it regularly! But I can easily stop and ignore it for months too. You have much more control over what you eat and drink than you think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I did this challenge last year and it changed my life. If you're thinking about trying this, please do.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    What you find is that your tastes change and you no longer grave, or even enjoy things you used to.
    I quit drinking anything with sugar in it a few years ago. I absolutely hated sparkling water at the time and I live off the stuff now, I should buy stock in La Croix. I get sick if I try to drink a soda at this point.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Last year I found that water with a slice of lemon was really satisfying. I just keep a few slices ready to go in the fridge, and that's pretty much all I drink all day long.

For the "after work drink", a cup of tea seems to hit the spot.

Gave up soda and other super-sugared drinks years ago, and generally try to limit it in my diet outside of occasional treats.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'm in on this. Started the morning of January 1. Planning to go till Feb 15 (leave for a vacation in Mexico on the 16th). Multiple reasons for doing this: save money, lose weight, look good for my wife, be a better athlete, no days wasted being hungover, greater productivity in the evenings.

also gotta agree with those of you who enjoy sparkling water - La Croix is my go to: tangerine, orange, lemon-lime, pampelmousse, coconut - all great

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by thighsman View Post
    I'm in on this. Started the morning of January 1. Planning to go till Feb 15 (leave for a vacation in Mexico on the 16th). Multiple reasons for doing this: save money, lose weight, look good for my wife, be a better athlete, no days wasted being hungover, greater productivity in the evenings.

Agreed with the above...I don't usually get hungover after drinking, but I do feel sluggish on the bike the next day.

also gotta agree with those of you who enjoy sparkling water - La Croix is my go to: tangerine, orange, lemon-lime, pampelmousse, coconut - all great
    I like the Peach/Pear, Apricot, and Passionfruit.
    NTFTC

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thighsman View Post
    no days wasted being hungover
    This is one of my goals for 2018. It doesn't happen often, but I absolutely hate when I over do it at a wedding or something and the following day becomes a complete wash. Abstaining entirely for 30 days (maybe more) should be perfect for helping me set the tone for the year and achieve that goal. I won't get upset if I overdo it a bit at some point in the year, but if I do I'm forcing my ass out the door to ride first thing in the morning as punishment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Not trying to derail the thread... but I noticed another thread on the forums about the devil's lettuce. Anyone considering giving up both alcohol, and pot for the month? I'm a very casual user, and am thinking that a total reset could be good for the soul.

The last time I smoked was January 1st when I was fighting my hellish hangover from the night before, lol.

mtbr member
    It's hard to resist. This is a thread about losing weight, not staving off alcoholism if I'm not mistaken.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    You can get yourself off anything if you want to.

There are loads of things I used to eat and drink that I have not touched in years. When I was young I ate a lot of chocolate but I decided to stop and didn't touch it for about twenty-years. What you find is that your tastes change and you no longer grave, or even enjoy things you used to. I found that I didn't even like chocolate any more and not eating it was not a chore.

Having said that, I got back into eating chocolate a few years ago and now eat it regularly! But I can easily stop and ignore it for months too. You have much more control over what you eat and drink than you think.
    One can lose weight but cutting calories, regardless of the source. Moderation is key.

That being said, I'm a sucker for sweets and chocolate. During winter, I find it easy to indulge, but when racing season begins I exhibit greater self-control and the need for it decreases as you mentioned.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    It's hard to resist. This is a thread about losing weight, not staving off alcoholism if I'm not mistaken.
    You are mistaken. If the title said '30 day losing weight challenge' I'd understand your confusion, but given the title I'm at a loss for how you came to that conclusion.

mtbr member
    The number of ways in which alcohol diminishes sleep quality have been well documented.

Seriously, sober sleep is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    How about going without MTBR for 30 days - ha! Sometimes, I feel like I'm spending too much time on this site. I'm not sure why this site is strangely addicting?
    Dopamine.

Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Not trying to derail the thread... but I noticed another thread on the forums about the devil's lettuce. Anyone considering giving up both alcohol, and pot for the month? I'm a very casual user, and am thinking that a total reset could be good for the soul.

The last time I smoked was January 1st when I was fighting my hellish hangover from the night before, lol.
    I probably won't quit cannabis, but my consumption of it goes down drastically when I don't drink.

I'm in for sober January. A little reset is good this time of year. Drinking has more downsides than benefits for me.

Hardtail Steel Forever

Not specifically in that boat, but I've thought about including caffeine, literal reset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Not specifically in that boat, but I've thought about including caffeine, literal reset.
    Oh wow, that hadn't even crossed my mind... Now that would be a true reset!

mtbr member
    Count me in.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought View Post
    Seriously, sober sleep is amazing.
    Absolutely. I've noticed that even one beer early in the evening will have an impact on the quality of my sleep.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Absolutely. I've noticed that even one beer early in the evening will have an impact on the quality of my sleep.
    It you have a fitness tracker like a fitbit or the other ones, it's even more obvious.

mtbr member
    It was 3 months before I stared feeling better after quitting drinking. But that was after decades of being over-served. If your waking up in the middle of the night it's quite possibly because the cells in your body are addicted to alcohol and once it's been broken down into acetaldehyde your body starts craving it again; hence the restless sleep. I used to get up at 3am and choke down a beer simply so I could go back to sleep again.

Anyhoo, now nearing my 4th year of sobriety. I am mindful of not being preachy and lecturing those who socially drink. Not everybody has a problem. My take on this thread was also simply about losing weight and an improved healthy life style. My hat's off to you social drinkers that have an off button. That was not me but man do I feel much better. Go for it you guys!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Dammit.
    I am spending the weekend with some party buds, should be interesting.

mtbr member
    I have personally found a relationship between consuming coffee/caffeine for work etc. and the desire for the after work beer to de-stress.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I have personally found a relationship between consuming coffee/caffeine for work etc. and the desire for the after work beer to de-stress.
    That makes sense. If you stay level then you don't need to combat one substance with another!

I think my biggest test of the month is going to come after the Snake Creek Gap Time Trial on the 13th. Beers are just so good post race. I'll just have to settle for the chili

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    That makes sense. If you stay level then you don't need to combat one substance with another!

I think my biggest test of the month is going to come after the Snake Creek Gap Time Trial on the 13th. Beers are just so good post race. I'll just have to settle for the chili
    Maybe a cooler of some 'craft sodas' would help? I haven't really delved into them, but I know there's a lot out there and I could see that being a nice after race beverage... A really good root beer sounds great to me.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    This is one of my goals for 2018. It doesn't happen often, but I absolutely hate when I over do it at a wedding or something and the following day becomes a complete wash. Abstaining entirely for 30 days (maybe more) should be perfect for helping me set the tone for the year and achieve that goal. I won't get upset if I overdo it a bit at some point in the year, but if I do I'm forcing my ass out the door to ride first thing in the morning as punishment.
    Keep in mind that your tolerance is going to drop like a stone. There was a point in time where 4-6 beers was no problem for me. No hangover, do it again tomorrow. After taking 4 months off last year, that all changed. The effects are more immediate with the first beer, and more than 2-3, and I'm feeling it the next day. Hell, there's even a difference the next day after just one. Not hung over, but not as sharp either. I tend to stick to lower alcohol beers now because I enjoy having more than one. They used to call them "beer", but these days they call them "session" style because high ABV brews have become more of the standard.

Did that for 30 days once. Never again. Only thing worse was 30 days Vegan.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Maybe a cooler of some 'craft sodas' would help? I haven't really delved into them, but I know there's a lot out there and I could see that being a nice after race beverage... A really good root beer sounds great to me.
    That's a good call! Thank you. I was thinking about bringing La Croix, but something that is a bit more of a treat could do the trick.

Hardtail Steel Forever

Only thing worse was 30 days Vegan.

Funny, my daughter for one of her school classes did a project a few months ago where they had to eat either vegan or no added sugar for half a month. She chose the no sugar and it was indescribably difficult. I still think vegan would worse though. I could swing vegetarian, not giving up cheese and eggs though.

mtbr member
    Good for all you guys willing to pump the brakes a little.
    When I quit cigs I used Harry's Quit counter which was a huge help. You enter how many smokes per day and cost per pack. It starts a count up and tally of money saved. I'm sure you could use it to quit drinking too. Once I had it going I was determined to never reset the clock. It worked. I'm at 104,883 not smoked and $40,964.93 saved in 7yrs 2 mths 1 hr 55min and 38 seconds.

Google harry's quit counter. It's at whyquit.com
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Funny, my daughter for one of her school classes did a project a few months ago where they had to eat either vegan or no added sugar for half a month. She chose the no sugar and it was indescribably difficult. I still think vegan would worse though. I could swing vegetarian, not giving up cheese and eggs though.
    I did 30 days no sugar once. Not a lot of fun, but pretty easy, and in the long run opened my eyes to how insidious sugar is in our diets. I'm definitely consuming WAY less sugar than before.

30 days vegan on the other hand pretty much brought an end to my vegetarianism. I went 13 years without eating meat (but still dairy and fish) prior to that.

More recently, I've just been trying to eat a balanced diet. Avoiding processed foods, added sugars, and also buy organic as much as possible.

My wife and I had been doing intermittent fasting (eating less than 500 calories) two days a week for several years, but just a couple months ago switched to a 16-8 plan where you eat all your meals during an eight hour window, then fast for the other 16. Seems to be working well so far. Doesn't even feel like a "diet", just a different way of eating. The 16:8 diet plan - goodtoknow

Last edited by _CJ; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Good luck to you guys. I don't have it in me although I have reduced my consumption by steps over the years.

That said, I've never liked soda or other NA carbonated drinks and haven't had one in years and years. So I got that going for me.

One ring to mash them all
    Try a good quality, non-alcoholic ginger beer as well (e.g. Fever Tree).
    Į\(į_o)/Į

mtbr member
    ^ or boil straight ginger. Ginger beer has TONS of sugar and is $12 a sixer around here. Doh!
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member

No alcohol AND no sugar?

I did 30 days no sugar once...
    ...opened my eyes to how insidious sugar is in our diets...
    In an attempt to ward off adult-onset diabetes, I curtailed sugar intake, but then found myself craving alcohol in the evenings. Why? Because of the high sugar content.
    A sugar-addicted mind/body will use any trick to get its fix.
    A real challenge will be to quit booze AND sugar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
    In an attempt to ward off adult-onset diabetes, I curtailed sugar intake, but then found myself craving alcohol in the evenings. Why? Because of the high sugar content.
    Lol... here I sit eating oatmeal bananas and Vermont maple syrup, thinking about how successfully turned down a snow storm beer last night

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
    That's why it is a good suggestion to prioritize which is causing the most harm and start there.....if you drive after drinking = bad. If you drive after eating cookies = not so bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    no way i could do the vegan thing. freezer full of elk. so tasty

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Kudos and best wishes to all who are making this commitment. I did this three years ago and am still in it. Iím only speaking for myself, but I consider going alcohol free to be one the best decisions I have ever made in my life. And Iím no spring chicken. Enjoy the clarity.

mtbr member
    You are mistaken. If the title said '30 day losing weight challenge' I'd understand your confusion, but given the title I'm at a loss for how you came to that conclusion.
    Probably because 90% of of the responses pertain to weight loss and alcohol reduction. Or, the other comments pertaining to other foods to avoid in order to lose weight.

But, I hear you. For some, it's a step towards achieving a more important goal in controlling one's problems with alcohol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by allroads View Post
    Iím only speaking for myself, but I consider going alcohol free to be one the best decisions I have ever made in my life.
    I agree. I'm fifty, I work beside a guy who was in my year at school. I haven't drank for thirty years, he drinks regularly and you can really see the difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    no way i could do the vegan thing. freezer full of elk. so tasty
    Me too, and venison

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog1148 View Post
    Me too, and venison
    Feelin' pretty good after 4 days of no alcohol and what is mostly a ketogenic diet consisting of deer, elk and antelope. My wife is doing it too, so that helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by allroads View Post
    Kudos and best wishes to all who are making this commitment. I did this three years ago and am still in it. Iím only speaking for myself, but I consider going alcohol free to be one the best decisions I have ever made in my life. And Iím no spring chicken. Enjoy the clarity.
    I am 58 and ditto this as well. In one month from today on Feb 5th it will be 13 years alcohol free for me. As I tell people, "I didn't really quit drinking alcohol I am just seeing how long I can go without it".

I would hate to drink and think I would have to go all this time again to get where I am at today. I work in the clubs all the time and watch people change from Dr Jekel to Mr Hyde, alcohol can and will make you do things you wouldn't normally do, drive, fight drink more, have one night stands where an innocent child is born, and the list goes on.

Like Mr Pig said about his classmate, I too see people my age that look 68 from all the smoking and abuse they have put their body through. When you are young you don't think about the drinking and smoking and what it is doing to you. It's not until you get into your 50's & 60's till the damage really starts to show its face.

More power to everyone doing the challange, I have faith you can do it if you want to and the longer you go the easier it will get, be strong and take control of your life, nobody else will do it for YOU!

mtbr member
    I'm in for this year as well! started Jan 2. Did it last year and it started a very positive change. I don't remember exactly when I started drinking again, but when I did, it was limited to 1 beer, and only on Fri or Sat. Previously, I was having 1-2 drinks about 6 nights/week.

Good luck to everyone in on this challenge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizman View Post
    I too see people my age that look 68 from all the smoking and abuse they have put their body through.
    Yeah, smoking is a good one. Puts ten-years on you, then you die.

mtbr member
    Man. I have made it 5 days, the hardest being the first Friday (tonight) I know from doing it before that it actually gets easier each day, but tonight I am craving some Double IPA, I will prevail.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

------------
    Last edited by irideiam; 1 Week Ago at 09:09 PM. Reason: Wrong Thread

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Iím in. Mainly a post-holiday cleanse but I also gained 15 pounds since breaking my foot, so cutting beer calories is an easy one. Also good to stay sharp in the New Years sprint out of the gates at work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by irideiam View Post
    Man. I have made it 5 days, the hardest being the first Friday (tonight) I know from doing it before that it actually gets easier each day, but tonight I am craving some Double IPA, I will prevail.
    What else do you crave? Cheese, pretzels, cookies? Find a substitute and something to occupy your mind for 30 minutes and that craving will be gone.

And you are right, it does get easier everyday. Keep up the good work!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irideiam View Post
    Man. I have made it 5 days, the hardest being the first Friday (tonight) I know from doing it before that it actually gets easier each day..
    What I found difficult was going out for the night with friends who were drinking. Being sober in the company of drunk people is uncomfortable, but also enlightening.

You realize that when you thought you were funny, clever and slick you were actually a stumbling, slobbering mess. While you were laughing at your own genius everyone else thought you were toxic. Everyone except other drunk people that is.

Alcohol plays a nasty trick on the user. It makes you think you are more capable than you normally are but at the same time destroys your ability to function, making you far less capable than normal. The drunk thinks he can drive like a champ when he can hardly get the key into the door.

The results are devastating and were the leading reason I decided to stop drinking for good. Accidents at work, traffic accidents, domestic violence, A&E admissions. If you take the time to find the stats on how alcohol figures in human destruction and misery you'll be shocked. Forget drugs, alcohol is the biggest killer in society by a landslide.

I should qualify this by saying that he odd glass of wine or beer is not a problem. How do you know that you do have a problem? If you find it difficult to not drink, you've got a chemical addiction. I don't know about you but I don't want some mind and body altering chemical to have that sort of control over me.

I do sometimes miss the warm, fuzzy feeling of well-being a few drinks brings on, the world can be a cold place at times, but I'll live with it. I'd rather have health, strength and clarity.

mtbr member
    Wise words Mr Pig! I'm looking forward to trying this in Feb, just to see how the body copes and if there is any hints of physical addiction there.

I'm a keen home-brewer/beer geek and have a beer most nights (though rarely ever more than 2-3). My work schedule means every fourth week [roughly] I work evenings/nights which gives me a compulsory 5-day sober streak, and although I do feel the occasional twinge when wifey is sitting down with a pint as I walk out the door going a week with no booze isn't a problem for me. I'm interested to see how strong my will power is when I'm at home in the evening with a 4-tap kegerator downstairs and a well stocked fridge and cellar...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    You're spot-on Mr Pig. Nothing good comes from drinking too much.
    Congrats and good luck to everyone taking the challenge... here's to a healthier you!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Good documentary on Netflix related to this topic called ďThe Truth About AlcoholĒ. Set in the UK and covers a a lot of the health aspects of drinking. It does a lot of myth busting. It doesnít come out and say stop drinking directly, but the implication is that less is better, much less than people believe.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    After an easy time getting through the first weekend, I'm thinking this won't be tough at all. The hardest part was closing up the bike shop I work at Friday night... A few beers while we close has been the ritual for almost three years now.

I miss the taste (IPAs in particular) more than anything, but I definitely appreciate the increased alertness... Both in the evening and the morning.

Not sure if it's related or just that it's been available, but I seem to be eating more sugar than normal. Interesting.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    After an easy time getting through the first weekend, I'm thinking this won't be tough at all. The hardest part was closing up the bike shop I work at Friday night... A few beers while we close has been the ritual for almost three years now.
    The social pressure for me is far worse than any personal inclination to relax or celebrate via alcohol. This isn't the first time I've done this, but for me it's still eye opening how much our society revolves around alcohol.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    The social pressure for me is far worse than any personal inclination to relax or celebrate via alcohol. This isn't the first time I've done this, but for me it's still eye opening how much our society revolves around alcohol.
    Very true. I haven't told anyone, not even my wife, that I'm doing it so there have been a few times where I had to repeatedly turn down an offered drink. If I were to get together with certain friends I'd have to share, otherwise (and perhaps even then) the pressure would be relentless.

Interesting side note: Last night I dreamed I was riding MTB at a skate park (cool dream) and I cracked an IPA and got halfway through it before being realizing and was very upset with myself. Good to get a test run of how that'd feel, makes me even more resolved not to now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast