Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Last day of the challenge, it hasn't been as bad as I expected it to be. I'm looking forward to a beer tomorrow, but I'm glad I did the challenge. After February, I plan to abstain for the first week of each month, just to make sure I don't drink out of habit.

Thanks for posting this and to all the people who participated.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Anyone else doing this for February?? Just enjoying a last glass of homebrewed IPA before embarking on a sober Feb. I've got a weeks riding holiday in Nelson (NZ, not BC) at the start of March and want to drop a few more kilos and step up the training before then.
    Sounds like a great reason to me. Iím also in for Feb due to riding goals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Congrats to all whoíve made the 31 days! If you can do it for one month, then knock out another one. You will feel even better! You will perform better in whatever you choose.

CFH
    mtbr member
    Im in for Feb. Plan on doing it for Lent anyways.

mtbr member
    Made the 30 days, not hard at all, looking forward to some brew tonight. At a minimum I will drink less. Cheers, and ride on!!!!
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post
    Congrats to all whoíve made the 31 days! If you can do it for one month, then knock out another one. You will feel even better! You will perform better in whatever you choose.
    Says who, are you a doctor or some kind of shrink? Sorry, I am tired of all the "hollier than thou" comments on this post. if you have chosen not to drink thats your choice and problem, not ours. I did the 30 days with easy, but still enjoy my brew so mind your own business.
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by astom22 View Post
    Last day of the challenge, it hasn't been as bad as I expected it to be. I'm looking forward to a beer tomorrow, but I'm glad I did the challenge. After February, I plan to abstain for the first week of each month, just to make sure I don't drink out of habit.

Thanks for posting this and to all the people who participated.

Nice work!! Cheers.
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irideiam View Post
    Says who, are you a doctor or some kind of shrink? Sorry, I am tired of all the "hollier than thou" comments on this post. if you have chosen not to drink thats your choice and problem, not ours. I did the 30 days with easy, but still enjoy my brew so mind your own business.
    I didn't take his comment as negative, but more as encouragement to anyone thinking about pushing on.

While it's been fun, I'm not going to keep rolling with it. I managed not to drink during the most stressful part of my season, so I consider that win enough.

mtbr member
    ...........so mind your own business.

solid advice^

you should heed it
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    That's a good idea.

I don't think I told many people, it's a long time ago. If someone tries to talk you into drinking though they are not acting in your best interests, so ignore them. If they really push it they are not your friend. A Friend would want the best for you, not want to screw you up.

There can be a social cost involved when you quit any destructive habit. What are you going to do? Should you keep taking drugs because some of your junkie pals would miss you?
    Says who, , I am tired of all the "hollier than thou" comments on this post. if you have chosen not to drink thats your choice and problem, not ours. I did the 30 days with easy, but still enjoy my brew, which confirms we who completed it don't have a "destructive habit" so mind your own business.
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    solid advice^

you should heed it
    Ditto
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Says who, , I am tired of all the "hollier than thou" comments on this post. if you have chosen not to drink thats your choice and problem, not ours. I did the 30 days with easy, but still enjoy my brew, which confirms we who completed it don't have a "destructive habit" so mind your own business.
    Hey guys... letís not feed this troll.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I don't see those as holier than thou posts. We all seem to agree one month is a good thing, so it's not a stretch to say more time might also be a good thing... But as you state, I'd say anyone who abstained for a month because of a MTBR thread likely does not have to worry about larger issues. To each their own, those two posts you flagged seem respectful enough to me.

I may go another month or two, with some selected cheat days, because my weight has held steady most of the month... Which means if I add beer in it's gonna start climbing and I'm already a few pounds over where I'd like to be. Not only do those few pounds seem to affect my riding, my blood pressure also climbs if I gain much more than that. Best to keep it in check until nicer weather makes it easier to offset with riding.

Congrats on the month, pick a damn good brew for your first! Mine will be Friday or Saturday night, I'm gonna grab a bomber of something really special.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    I don't see those as holier than thou posts. We all seem to agree one month is a good thing, so it's not a stretch to say more time might also be a good thing... But as you state, I'd say anyone who abstained for a month because of a MTBR thread likely does not have to worry about larger issues. To each their own, those two posts you flagged seem respectful enough to me.

Congrats on the month, pick a damn good brew for your first! Mine will be Friday or Saturday night, I'm gonna grab a bomber of something really special.
    No troll here....I did my 30 days. Your right, sorry guy's I will chill out. Thanks for putting things in perspective. Enjoy your first brew. Cheers.
    Klunk on............

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    No troll here....I did my 30 days. Your right, sorry guy's I will chill out. Thanks for putting things in perspective. Enjoy your first brew. Cheers.
    Cheers indeed! It's all positive in here!

mtbr member
    Dude. You need to calm down. Iím not a Doctor, nor a shrink. Iím a happy hard core mountain biker who has met his goals and then some.

Guzzle on.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    30 days done here too. Dropped five pounds. Have been in some situations where it would have been easy to say screw it, and really had no problem abstaining. It really is interesting watching people's behavior change as they get a drink or two in them.

No plans of when I'm going to have another drink, but I will when the time is right. I'm planning to abstain through the first weekend of each month, and maintain a limit of six beers per week with no more than two per night.

The wife wants to do Keto February (Ketobruary), so we'll see how that goes. I'm generally skeptical of diets that cut out entire food groups, but we do have some friends who have lost serious weight on the Keto plan after a lifetime of struggling with their weight.

Currently, I'm undertaking the 7 day common cold challenge. On day four right now, and really ready to be done with this crap.

Anyhow, congratulations to all those who participated, and good luck to those who are giving it a go in February.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    It really is interesting watching people's behavior change as they get a drink or two in them.
    Amen. I've never been as into drinking as some of my friends are, so I've gone out to bars with friends and not drank a fair amount in the past anyway and it is always eye-opening. When you're one of them you think you hung out and talked with friends all night, when you're sober you realize they were all just yelling the same nonsense at each other all night.

Currently, I'm undertaking the 7 day common cold challenge. On day four right now, and really ready to be done with this crap.
    I've done that challenge four times in the last six months! Man am I sick of that!

Anyhow, congratulations to all those who participated, and good luck to those who are giving it a go in February.
    Thank you for posting this, seriously. I had never heard of Dry January before your post and it would not have been on my mind otherwise, but I really enjoyed it. I appreciate you sharing with us! Congrats to you too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just got back from a trade show in vegas and i did not drink. But i have today off. i do see some beers in my very near futre. congrats to everyone.

mtbr member

Good job!

Nice work everyone....
    Last edited by irideiam; 02-01-2018 at 03:12 AM.
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    Dang y'all are leaving. I was just getting started. Day 14 Friday. I guess there will be some overlap. I'll hold down the fort till Valentines Day.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Congrats to all the participants! I did this challenge last year and found it difficult at times. This years was easy-peasy. There were a few times when I thought "a beer would be good right now," but it was fleeting, and 2 minutes later I wasn't thinking about it anymore.

Not sure when I'll have another drink. Going to a superbowl party this weekend. If there are good beers, I'll probably have 1 or 2. If yellow/fizzy/tasteless is the only option, I'll keep rolling into February.

CEO Product Failure
    I am pleased to have participated in this challenge. I reaped some benefits just like others have stated: Weight loss, saved cash, and slept a little better. Going to keep it going through May with a couple of cheat days: Superbowl, St. Patty's, etc.

mtbr member
    Looks like I'm getting my first big test just three days in; wifey picked up a couple of cheap tickets to see the Foo Fighters on Saturday, along with a pre-show party at a brewery she does the books for. I think she's looking forward to not having the debate over who is going to drive, part payback when she drove for six weeks straight when my arm was in a cast!

mtbr member
    Looks like I'm getting my first big test just three days in; wifey picked up a couple of cheap tickets to see the Foo Fighters on Saturday, along with a pre-show party at a brewery she does the books for. I think she's looking forward to not having the debate over who is going to drive, part payback when she drove for six weeks straight when my arm was in a cast!
    Hey, I finished my 31 days, if you want to avoid the temptation, I will go in your place. I like beer, the Foo Fighters, and I'm sure your wife is nice.

mtbr member
    Haha! I'm almost tempted...

mtbr member
    Haha! I'm almost tempted...
    Not sure if my wife would be too understanding though. She is more likeable than me, but doesn't like beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    31 days no alcohol on a mostly ketogenic diet and I'm feelin' good. Lost 9 pounds. Confidence up. Productivity up. Going to Mexico on feb 16th, so gonna keep this train rolling till then.
    Stoked to be part of this with all you.

I'd also like to say this...I bought a 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris today. Been thinkin' about it for awhile and, on a lunchtime stroll, just popped into my LBS and pulled the trigger. I used money I hadn't spent on alcohol or eating out.

Hi There!
    Done. Only issue is I was eating way more sweets than usual, not because of the challenge but because of the holidays, my office bringing in stuff all the time, etc...

Going from Dry January right into Sugar-free-ish February. Life really is full of challenges I guess.
    NTFTC

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thighsman View Post
    31 days no alcohol on a mostly ketogenic diet and I'm feelin' good. Lost 9 pounds. Confidence up. Productivity up. Going to Mexico on feb 16th, so gonna keep this train rolling till then.
    Stoked to be part of this with all you.

I'd also like to say this...I bought a 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris today. Been thinkin' about it for awhile and, on a lunchtime stroll, just popped into my LBS and pulled the trigger. I used money I hadn't spent on alcohol or eating out.
    Pretty sweet looking bike! And the price is almost unbelievable. Nicely done.

https://salsacycles.com/index.php?/b...17_vaya_claris

mtbr member
    Thanks to this challenge, I expect to continue being alcohol-free. Seems I enjoy the upsides more than the cocktails.

Many thanks to _CJ for getting the ball rolling, and to all the participants & your transparency.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Iíve done this before because I had a buddy do it so I thought Iíd try. The first year I made three weeks, last year was a month. This year I didnít even make it a week. Iím thinking I need to try again as it sure allows the weight to creep back up.

Reading through the posts got me kinda psyched to do it again. Of course itís always easy to think that on Sunday afternoon. Itís Friday evening that is way, way harder.

mtbr member
    How is everyones February going? I realised this morning that in ten days it's become completely normal to not even think about having a beer at night! I've only lost about a kilo so far but haven't been eating particularly well or riding as much as I should because of the weather. Torrential rain all weekend, might go cruise the gravel roads anyway...

mtbr member
    So far so good. I've decided to continue on with this and include February in the challenge. I'll likely set a new goal of 6 months.

Had to tighten my belt one notch more than usual today A good sign.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Going fine here. I bought some O'Douls (non-alcoholic beer), partly for comedic effect, and partly because of the previous discussion here about it. It actually does taste like beer flavored soda water. Not bad at all really, and kind of scratches that itch in a way water or tea doesn't.

I had two regular beers last night, and two O'douls between them. Kind of like drinking a glass of water between beers, but without feeling like you're in the penalty box. Makes me wish more people made non-alcoholic beer, or more low alcohol beers.

Buying the O'Douls was an experience. I was embarrassed, didn't want anyone to see. They can't sell it in liquor stores here, so you have to get it at the grocery store which only sells 3.2% or less, and of course there were people in the isle carping about how it's all 3.2%, and why bother, etc. and here I am buying non-alcoholic. It was actually kind of funny.

mtbr member
    Really. Where is the Virgin Voodoo Ranger at? I saw each IPA is like eating a cheeseburger. Don't need 6 of thems at once.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa View Post
    Really. Where is the Virgin Voodoo Ranger at? I saw each IPA is like eating a cheeseburger. Don't need 6 of thems at once.
    Right? They could distill the regular stuff down to .05% (for the ultimate lawnmower beer), and sell the liquor as a "voodoo whiskey" after a few years of aging.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
    Thanks to this challenge, I expect to continue being alcohol-free. Seems I enjoy the upsides more than the cocktails.

Many thanks to _CJ for getting the ball rolling, and to all the participants & your transparency.
    Same here CaptDan. And yes, a special thanks to CJ!

mtbr member
    I can categorically state, there will be at least 100 days in 2018 where I won't touch a drink :hiccup:

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Anyone else doing this for February?? I've got a weeks riding holiday in Nelson (NZ, not BC) at the start of March and want to drop a few more kilos and step up the training before then.
    Two weeks in, still going strong, but I just lost my main motivation....

30 day no alcohol challenge - 2018-leg.jpg

Small crack in the end of the fibula after a silly little off on a rocky trail (I've been taking it easy too, keeping the planned holiday in mind), hopefully I'll be in a moonboot by the time the trip comes around and I might still tag along to play shuttle driver.

Pretty f---ing tempted to crack the keg of Imperial Stout I brewed a couple of months ago...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123