Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Haven't posted in years but signing up for this. Doing Dry January. One week and feel great. It's not the alcohol I miss, it's the ritual. The beer in the evening. The glass of wine while making dinner. Saturday and Sunday were both tough because of riding Saturday and skiing Sunday.

Finally back to work and am guessing "happy hour" time will be tough.

LOTS of herbal tea for me! And the weight...I think I'm actually gaining weight because I'm eating all the time.

My wife says I've stopped snoring.

Cheers! I mean...good luck!

T
    in the ghetto of Evergreen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    I haven't told anyone, not even my wife...
    That's a good idea.

I don't think I told many people, it's a long time ago. If someone tries to talk you into drinking though they are not acting in your best interests, so ignore them. If they really push it they are not your friend. A Friend would want the best for you, not want to screw you up.

There can be a social cost involved when you quit any destructive habit. What are you going to do? Should you keep taking drugs because some of your junkie pals would miss you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I made it through my first weekend of temptation. I even swung by the best brewery in town to say hey to some friends, and stopped by a house party.... all of this while I was out riding my bike instead of drinking. Feeling lean and mean this Monday! As opposed to bloaty and floaty.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    I miss the taste (IPAs in particular) more than anything
    Not sure if I mentioned this before, but last year after a four month break, I completely lost my taste for high hop beers. They're way too intense now. I can't even handle the smell of an IPA anymore.

I have nothing to back this up, but in my experience, it almost seems as if hops have an additive quality of their own, and they seem to dumb down your sense of taste. Stuff that previously seemed bland is now full of flavor.

mtbr member
    I'm a bit over 2 years in. I probably was drinking too much when I was drinking, but its not like I hit rock bottom and had to stop or anything crazy. A couple friends got DUI's and ruined their lives. I decided to quit while I was still ahead.

Man, it keeps getting better. Things are more fun without alcohol. I dont think the hard part was stopping drinking. Its doing things that you've done while drinking forever, without drinking. Like social events, and concerts... and tailgate beers after a ride.

2 IPAs doesnt sound like much after a hard ride, but its crazy how much its sucking out your energy for the rest of the day. I go home and do more stuff I enjoy instead of vegging out on the couch and attributing it to an extra hard ride.

Certainly not everyone is me and not everyone will share that experience with alcohol... but I have a suspicion a large amount of people will.

mtbr member

Hmmm... sugar...

...Not sure if it's related or just that it's been available, but I seem to be eating more sugar than normal. Interesting.
    A friend quit alcohol around September and soon developed a crazy sweet tooth; something he never really had before.
    He ate so much sugar & candy that he gained 10+ lbs... and that happened before the holidays.

mtbr member
    Alcohol is basically fast absorption sugar (same as white bread, or candy). You don't exactly get a sweet tooth when you quit drinking, you just turn to candy to maintain the one you already had. You can eat a lot more sugary garbage than you can drink in booze though!

Our daughter is a type 1 diabetic so we had to sit through all these nutrition classes. Its pretty crazy how many things end up flat out sugar. I was a strong IPA guy, and you really might as well be stuffing birthday cake in your face compared to drinking those.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indianhillsted View Post
    It's not the alcohol I miss, it's the ritual. The beer in the evening. The glass of wine while making dinner.

T
    Totally agree with this. I love cooking or wrenching on my bike while having a beer. I've started having some lightly flavored sparkling water, in a wine or cocktail glass, sometimes with a wedge of lime. Not quite the same as beer, but still enjoyable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    ...You don't exactly get a sweet tooth when you quit drinking, you just turn to candy to maintain the one you already had.
    LOL! So true.

Our daughter is a type 1 diabetic so we had to sit through all these nutrition classes. Its pretty crazy how many things end up flat out sugar...
    Again, so true.

And respect to you and your daughter.

mtbr member
    8 days down and not a drop. It's getting a little easier, I'm starting to realize I drank out of habit a little bit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Pretty sure I can have thirty selected days throughout the year without a beer. Just last week I skipped two days - only 28 more to go between now and end of Dec.

seriously though - good on those looking to make a change.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have been following this thread. I was just busy last week, went on a long road trip last weekend, and I'm on call this week. So even though I wasn't planning on participating, I'm a few weeks in without having touched the stuff, without even trying.

I have voluntarily abstained from alcohol before, but a beer always tastes just as good when I go back to the dark side. I haven't been drunk in years, though. I guess it could be worse than having a few beers a week.

mtbr member
    On day 11, have had a sinus infection so it has been easier not to drink, trouble is I haven't been riding for the same reason, so I haven't lost any additional weight, which is why I did this in the first place. Getting on the bike this evening so we will see how the rest of the month goes.
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by irideiam View Post
    On day 11, have had a sinus infection so it has been easier not to drink, trouble is I haven't been riding for the same reason, so I haven't lost any additional weight, which is why I did this in the first place. Getting on the bike this evening so we will see how the rest of the month goes.
    Weight loss is generally a by-product of improved health; which is usually a benefit of reduced alcohol consumption.

When you are over you sinus issue, you'll find you will have more time and energy to ride, time and energy formerly spent on drinking. Ride during that time and you will feel healthier, try not to limit the measure of improvement to a number on a scale.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

mtbr member
    10 days in and I got nuttin'. No weight loss, no clearer thinking, no better sleep, no increase in energy... Dang!

I need a new drug to quit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
    10 days in and I got nuttin'. No weight loss, no clearer thinking, no better sleep, no increase in energy... Dang!

Do you have any sort of sleep tracker? Mine is improving slowly, from what fitbit is saying.

mtbr member
    I don't have a sleep tracker, but I've never really had a problem sleeping.

I guess I was hoping for better sleep; so in the morning I would leap out of bed like Superman.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014

I guess I was hoping for better sleep; so in the morning I would leap out of bed like Superman.
    Depending on how much you were drinking previously, there can be a "detox" period where you don't sleep well (or better), feel hungover in the morning, etc. It can take a couple days/weeks/months for your body to get back to normal.

I've read that some people's livers go into a low functioning state for a year or more, and it often results in their death because they go back to drinking during this time, hit it hard like they used to, and their liver says nope, sorry, we're done here. Amy Weinhouse was referenced as one example.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Anyone in on this deal taking any supplements during the 30 days?

I've been taking a liver support supplement with dandelion root, milk thistle, and some other stuff. No idea if it helps or not, but figured it was a good time for it. Also drinking dandelion root tea occasionally.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I haven't been drunk in years, though.
    This is my main goal. I just don't enjoy over-imbibing anymore. The last few years the only time I have is 'by accident,' which sounds ridiculous of course but the first three taste so good you just go into autopilot and next thing you know it's too much. Always thought it was funny trying to use judgement to limit consumption of something that impairs judgement... Better to just have the muscle memory that says 'stop.'

Have to admit a similar feeling. I do feel better than mornings where I'd had a couple drinks the night before, but it's not like that feeling is compounding. As for weight loss, I'm definitely trying to recoup lost sugar by eating candy (which I typically very rarely do.)

In fact, I was at dinner last night at a place with a great beer selection and had no trouble not ordering a beer... But as soon as I finished eating I had the strongest desire for sweets I've had in years. No doubt in my mind it was because I hadn't had a beer with dinner like I normally would have.

It's definitely better sleep than nights where I have a drink or three, but I was already not drinking half the days of the week or so so that feeling is not new to me.

mtbr member
    It may take longer than a few days to undo the effects of years of drinking?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Kudos to all participating here. I read the thread to this point and I see lots of mentions of replacement: soda water, tea, etc. I'd also suggest kombucha if you are OK with the very small amount of alcohol in it. I started drinking it as a relatively low-sugar beer alternative and have been pretty pleased.

The downside is it is expensive, unless you make your own. But for me a $3 bottle of it replaces 2-3 $1.50 beers so its a wash.

mtbr member
    Water is a good alternative. Not trying to be too snarky, but I think substitutions aren't too helpful, even in the beginning.

Breaking the psychological habit is likely the hardest part. I think substitutions help maintain a certain part of the habit.

Even if it's just 30 days. It's a good reflection on how big a role alcohol plays in your life. One guy said he's 10 days in and it's been cake. Awesome! Maybe it's not a big integrated part of his life. If it's early in and your hunting for substitutes... Maybe it's time to address a problem.

mtbr member
    In...

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    I think substitutions aren't too helpful, even in the beginning. If it's early in and your hunting for substitutes... Maybe it's time to address a problem.
    Want to know what else isn't "too helpful"? Posts like yours. We had a few guys last year too who couldn't help but come along and point fingers at everyone, passing judgement, telling them they "had a problem". That's not helping. If somebody decides they need to take it further, that's their business, not yours. If somebody wants to drink soda water or tea, or whatever instead of alcohol, good for them.

Last edited by _CJ; 1 Week Ago at 07:10 AM.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    Want to know what else isn't "too helpful"? Posts like yours. We had a few guys last year too who couldn't help but come along and point fingers at everyone, telling them they "had a problem". That's not helping. If somebody decides they need to take it further, that's their business, not yours. If somebody wants to drink soda water or tea, or whatever instead of alcohol, good for them. Maybe it's time for you to mind your own damn business if you don't like it.

I wouldn't be so quick to jump down his throat. I understand his point, though I also understand yours.

Feeling the need to substitute something is indicative of a habit for sure, but I think most of us have noticed that the habit is ritual-based, not chemical. That's a great thing to realize and in my opinion is exactly why this exercise is helpful; to help me understand why I choose to drink when I do and recognize when it's unnecessary. Whether or not you choose to actually substitute something is up to you, if it's less unhealthy than alcohol (I think everything we've discussed is in moderation) then why not? If you choose to wean yourself from that substitute later it will likely be much easier than alcohol was... Not to mention this is just 30 days for me, I'm just gonna go back to having a beer when I feel like it (in hopes that that will just be a little less frequent perhaps.)

He probably should have left off this: 'If it's early in and your hunting for substitutes... Maybe it's time to address a problem.' I'd leave that to the individual, rather than a MTB forum.

mtbr member
    This 30 day challenge is taking very little effort this year. Last year was another story altogether. Since last year's 30 day dry spell, as I mentioned in an earlier post, our (my wife and I) routine consumption has significantly decreased. Yeah, there's some sugar craving, and I'm drinking more tea in the evening than before, but its just not that big of an issue this time....which is a good thing. Good luck everyone, stick with it. Think of all the money you're saving by not drinking this month, then take that money and go buy bike parts. I'm going to celebrate these new bike parts in Moab late February, with a beer, around a camp fire. That's my goal, going beyond the 30 days this year.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    As I said in the first post,

This isn't about getting into a 12 step program, or admitting you have a problem, or any of that stuff....it's more of a reset, or a cleanse, and maybe for some people a first step in making some bigger changes.
    The point of this thread is mutual support. There's no need for anyone to pass judgement on anyone else, or speculate about anyone else's relationship with alcohol.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014

The point of this thread is mutual support. There's no need for anyone to pass judgement on anyone else, or speculate about anyone else's relationship with alcohol.

Fair enough, didn't realize you were the OP... Or re-read the OP.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    This 30 day challenge is taking very little effort this year. Last year was another story altogether. Since last year's 30 day dry spell, as I mentioned in an earlier post, our (my wife and I) routine consumption has significantly decreased.
    X2

Last year was a serious change in lifestyle for me, and it wasn't easy. This year though, it's not really a big deal at all. It does get easier, and when the weather starts getting warmer, where you can get out and ride more, the benefits really start to show themselves.

Buying something with the money that's not being spent on alcohol is a good idea too. For me it was a new motorcycle. I could have paid cash for it, but I financed it to remind me where the money that's paying for it is coming from.

mtbr member

And you've got the mutual support of those of us who don't drink anymore. I took this thread to be a post-New Year's health resolution dealio. It's hard to not be preachy if you have walked that path with the devil sauce. You just want to help. Again, my hat's off to you guys. Keep it going.

I've done almost 100 Grand Canyon river trips. That's 14 to 18 days on the river in a culture where excess is tolerated and alcohol celebrated. Ask an NPS river ranger (oops, that's another story but there aren't anymore because they were out of control too). It's amazing how you can draw the line between social drinkers and when it boils down to it alcoholics. You just don't know it yet. So, on another level a 30 day challenge like this is also a litmus test. Hence, some of the comments from those who have quit and succeeded. Not everyone can. Ride on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Water is a good alternative. Not trying to be too snarky, but I think substitutions aren't too helpful, even in the beginning.

Breaking the psychological habit is likely the hardest part. I think substitutions help maintain a certain part of the habit.

Even if it's just 30 days. It's a good reflection on how big a role alcohol plays in your life. One guy said he's 10 days in and it's been cake. Awesome! Maybe it's not a big integrated part of his life. If it's early in and your hunting for substitutes... Maybe it's time to address a problem.
    Want to know what else isn't "too helpful"? Posts like yours. We had a few guys last year too who couldn't help but come along and point fingers at everyone, passing judgement, telling them they "had a problem". That's not helping. If somebody decides they need to take it further, that's their business, not yours. If somebody wants to drink soda water or tea, or whatever instead of alcohol, good for them.
    Seems like OnePivot struck a nerve there CJ.... a big part of being able to achieve any type of early recovery is substitution. Give up the alcohol and eat candy, give up the heroin and take suboxone etc, etc. If water with lemon is your thing (post 51) great, if M&M's do it for you, great.

By definition, mutual support requires sometimes hard to fear feedback. If you are having difficulty in seeing the flaws in your logic, a true supporter will compassionately help you identify the inconsistencies in your speech and behavior.

No one likes to be told that their way isn't the right way and not many people excel at techniques that make that possible. The key for both parties is to consider the motive, is there a sincere desire to help or a callous attempt to hurt?

Help doesn't always come in the form that you want it to.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    This message is hidden because mileslong is on your ignore list.

mtbr member
    .. a big part of being able to achieve any type of early recovery is substitution..
    It doesn't have to be another consumable. You could make model kits or go running, whatever you can find that fits in the hole.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    This 30 day challenge is taking very little effort this year. Last year was another story altogether. Since last year's 30 day dry spell, as I mentioned in an earlier post, our (my wife and I) routine consumption has significantly decreased. Yeah, there's some sugar craving, and I'm drinking more tea in the evening than before, but its just not that big of an issue this time....which is a good thing. Good luck everyone, stick with it. Think of all the money you're saving by not drinking this month, then take that money and go buy bike parts. I'm going to celebrate these new bike parts in Moab late February, with a beer, around a camp fire. That's my goal, going beyond the 30 days this year.
    Very cool to hear results from someone who did it last year. Thanks!

mtbr member

I must have struck a sore spot!

I know, the polite thing is if you see something, say nothing. That's how a lot of us kept it up so long anyway.

Honesty, I hope everyone comes out 30 days later and does whatever works for them, including returning to having some beers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I must have struck a sore spot!

I know, the polite thing is if you see something, say nothing. That's how a lot of us kept it up so long anyway.

Honesty, I hope everyone comes out 30 days later and does whatever works for them, including returning to having some beers.
    You sure did, my response expanding on your comments got me put on his ignore list!

It's been my experience that anyone who has such a strong reaction to a suggestion is having struggles with the idea and the execution of behavior change. Anger is a secondary emotion that gives us time and space to digest what we find initially objectionable.

There is a fine line between helping and enabling; helping can hurt immediately, enabling usually hurts further on down the road.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    You sure did, my response expanding on your comments got me put on his ignore list!

It's been my experience that anyone who has such a strong reaction to a suggestion is having struggles with the idea and the execution of behavior change. Anger is a secondary emotion that gives us time and space to digest what we find initially objectionable.

There is a fine line between helping and enabling; helping can hurt immediately, enabling usually hurts further on down the road.
    I have to admit I'm kind of getting offended by your logic as well. A mountain bike forum thread where users are giving up alcohol for 30 days just as a totally voluntary and whimsical exercise is probably not the best place to preach the dangers of alcoholism. First off, it's against the wishes of the OP. Second, I would imagine those with larger issues probably wouldn't be terribly motivated by some random MTBR post... And if they are, good for them!

That was the nice way of saying butt out. I don't need your psycho-babble in here and it seems others (including the OP) agree.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I have to admit I'm kind of getting offended by your logic as well. A mountain bike forum thread where users are giving up alcohol for 30 days just as a totally voluntary and whimsical exercise is probably not the best place to preach the dangers of alcoholism. First off, it's against the wishes of the OP. Second, I would imagine those with larger issues probably wouldn't be terribly motivated by some random MTBR post... And if they are, good for them!

That was the nice way of saying butt out. I don't need your psycho-babble in here and it seems others (including the OP) agree.
    I've read your posts, thanks for proving my point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I've read your posts, thanks for proving my point.
    I not see what you are adding and will add my opinion to you should stay a mile away from the conversation. It would seem you just seem to further the point that you do not get the point.

Kudos to those whom took this post up and committed.

While I did not announce before I am in.

I was craving a beer a couple of weeks back and a cold Kombuchu gave me what the doctor ordered. My urge was short lived on the trail and beers were next to the cold Kombachu when I got in the store. It gave me a cold bubbly beverage that was satisfying after my ride and I treated myself and maintained my abstinence

mtbr member
    Wow. I find this statement initially objectionable, to the point of anger. Could you imagine being stuck down in Grand Canyon on an 18 day river trip with someone who talks like this? Might drive a person over the edge from social to problem drinker. Again, to reiterate the tenets of the thread, go be preachy somewhere else.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Please stop feeding the troll. He's not here to help. Put him on your ignore list, and lets get back to kicking this 30 day's ass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallo View Post
    I not see what you are adding and will add my opinion to you should stay a mile away from the conversation. It would seem you just seem to further the point that you do not get the point.

Kudos to those whom took this post up and committed.

While I did not announce before I am in.

I was craving a beer a couple of weeks back and a cold Kombuchu gave me what the doctor ordered. My urge was short lived on the trail and beers were next to the cold Kombachu when I got in the store. It gave me a cold bubbly beverage that was satisfying after my ride and I treated myself and maintained my abstinence
    Not surprising that a fermented beverage with a measurable and government regulated alcohol content would satisfy your craving. As for maintaining abstinence.......

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Wow. I find this statement initially objectionable, to the point of anger. Could you imagine being stuck down in Grand Canyon on an 18 day river trip with someone who talks like this? Might drive a person over the edge from social to problem drinker. Again, to reiterate the tenets of the thread, go be preachy somewhere else.
    A common question on screenings goes like this "Do you get angry when someone wants to talk with you about your drinking?" An affirmative response indicates the need for further examination of that persons consumption habits.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Please stop feeding the troll. He's not here to help. Put him on your ignore list, and lets get back to kicking this 30 day's ass.

If you are seeking the support of strangers to not consume alcohol, you shouldn't get pissy when someone points out the realities of the behavior you are trying to change.

You don't have to stop...I'll leave you to your efforts and wish you all luck.

Don't worry, be happy!
    We have an acquaintance who rowed out 2 days early on a Middle Fork Salmon trip cuz he ran out of booze.

no batteries required
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    We have an acquaintance who rowed out 2 days early on a Middle Fork Salmon trip cuz he ran out of booze.

How utterly saddening that is.
    Nothing that's worth anything is ever easy - M. Hall

Don't worry, be happy!
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a private party permit for that river? I'm just glad we weren't part of that group. Sober boaters is almost a non sequitor.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Good luck to you guys. I was a 3-6 beer a night guy for many many years, but just because I liked beer. I quit about 6 months ago (no real reason other than it was just time), and have no regrets. Better sleep, better wake ups, no more mood swings, way more energy and motivation. Ironically, my weight stayed the same... (shrug)

I highly recommend some sort of replacement to get you through the first few days. Bit-O-Honey worked well for me, and doing something to keep yourself occupied during the "Beer:30" times. The times you want a beer are fleeting and don't last, and before you know it you forget about wanting one.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I do crave a beer from when i get home from work, until after dinner. than all good. But i have been pigging out to much at night with junk food.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Flying B was out of beer? I have stocked back up there before.

funny story, a buddy invited me on a middle fork trip, he brought himself a 24 pack a day for 7 days. he bought beer at the flying b. he rationed 2 beers an hour from 10 to 10 and ran out.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Sad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Be glad he did, if he had gone into withdrawal out there it could have been a big problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Not to hijack, but are folks who are cutting out alcohol making other changes as well? Aside from not having had beer/liquor since 2017, I'm really working on budgeting (using the cash in an envelope approach), finally starting the online biz I've been talking about for a decade and a half, working out every day before work (and taking midday walks and night walks (too much snow/ice to bike)), and eating what amounts to a mostly ketogenic diet. I feel great: more productive, healthier, focused and have a much better grip on my long term savings goals.

All this feels like a direct result of not drinking alcohol. Curious to hear other's experiences.

Hi There!
    ^^Not me^^ I usually take a month or so to dry out every January. I don't drink much so it's not that difficult.

I usually eat decently healthy so not much to change there.
    NTFTC

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thighsman View Post
    Not to hijack, but are folks who are cutting out alcohol making other changes as well? Aside from not having had beer/liquor since 2017, I'm really working on budgeting (using the cash in an envelope approach), finally starting the online biz I've been talking about for a decade and a half, working out every day before work (and taking midday walks and night walks (too much snow/ice to bike)), and eating what amounts to a mostly ketogenic diet. I feel great: more productive, healthier, focused and have a much better grip on my long term savings goals.

All this feels like a direct result of not drinking alcohol. Curious to hear other's experiences.
    I've also got a categorized list of goals for 2018. One of them was no hangovers, which was what led me to join this challenge.

My bike goals include riding some trails I've been meaning to for a while and haven't, riding some big freeride lines I've been working up to, learning to build wheels, riding the big loop of my home trails I've always dreamed of but never done in full.

I've also got a set of trail building goals, career goals, health goals and personal goals. I usually use the start of a new year to reflect informally, this year I wanted to have a list I could look at throughout the year to keep me focused. I'm already moving toward crossing a few things off.

Hi There!
    I've also got a categorized list of goals for 2018.

I usually use the start of a new year to reflect informally, this year I wanted to have a list I could look at throughout the year to keep me focused.
    This sounds pretty cool, I may try this on February 1st for this year. Thanks.
    NTFTC

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Sort of, but I try not to intertwine alcohol with other goals. Every January is a time to lay out a path for the coming year, and there's no question it all falls in place more easily when you're not hung over, or planning your life around when and where you next drink will be.

Personally, I had a few setbacks last year, which is to be expected when you're trying to achieve new goals, but unlike previous years, I didn't turn to alcohol to deal with it. Also had some successes, and didn't turn to alcohol to celebrate.

As Bukowski said, “That's the problem with drinking, I thought, as I poured myself a drink. If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen.”

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Quite the opposite actually thanks for bringing the thread back on subject. I think everyone is different and I have no new found energy. I was fairly energetic before quitting so I guess no change is good as it did not go south either. I have lost weight which is huge quite obviously. I took/take supplements but the supplements do not seem to change anything. Maybe its a long term thing. I have always ate fresh food for many years. I am trying to eat less meat. The one thing I can point to is sleep. I am sleeping more. Previously when drinking if I got up at 5am that was it I was up. I can now go back to sleep if I wish to. This is pretty big for me and the biggest positive change I feel

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Just made it through the hardest weekend so far. Had a race that was out of town with my best bud. He had quite a few brews, but didn't pressure me to have any at all. Made it through unscathed! This exercise is starting to make me realize how unimportant having a drink is. I'll probably turn into a nice craft beer here or there kinda guy, but would like for my heavier drinking days to be a part of my past. I've never considered my drinking to be a problem, and have always been happy go lucky when inebriated... but I just like biking more than being hung over these days.

My personal goal is to make it through the first part of race season, which goes through May 5th. I just found out I qualified for my company's "champions trip", which is a 7 day trip to an all inclusive resort in mexico. That trip leave's May 6th... what a coincidence! Sounds like a good way to reward myself for a solid spring effort.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I don't usually drink, and when I saw the 30 day challenge I thought I could, you know, participate. Only thing is, since I'm a contrarian, I decided to drink every day for 30 days.

I couldn't do it. I couldn't even drink three days in a row. And that was only a couple of beers, three at most, each night. I really tried. I ate Cheetos and drank, trying to get into the proper spirit. After a weekend of not drinking, I gave it a second effort. Not happening. I give up. I'm a failure.

mtbr member
    My best friend got into the whole craft beer thing in college, he’s been a drunk for 12 years now. He’s got a DUI and his brother got a DUI at 16. I doubt the kid would have followed those foot steps if his older brother hadn’t done it. Ruined both of their lives. Sure they could recover but it took my friends best years from him. Drinking any alcohol in any quantity is dangerous, as a certain percentage will fall off the wagon and all of them were “in control”

mtbr member

Progress...

16 days in... and I am sleeping better, or at least I'm waking up better.

Glad to be a part of a great challenge, with a great group of participants.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa View Post
    I don't usually drink, and when I saw the 30 day challenge I thought I could, you know, participate. Only thing is, since I'm a contrarian, I decided to drink every day for 30 days.

I couldn't do it. I couldn't even drink three days in a row. And that was only a couple of beers, three at most, each night. I really tried. I ate Cheetos and drank, trying to get into the proper spirit. After a weekend of not drinking, I gave it a second effort. Not happening. I give up. I'm a failure.
    Sorry to hear that, DeadGrandpa. Have you tried being not dead yet? You may have to do that first. You know; set the stage.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    This exercise is starting to make me realize how unimportant having a drink is. I'll probably turn into a nice craft beer here or there kinda guy, but would like for my heavier drinking days to be a part of my past.
    I'm feeling that way too. It's just not really bothering me that much to refrain. I had what should have been a tough weekend, even told friends I 'may cheat tonight,' but it really wasn't tough at all.

After a night out at bars I got up with the sun and went mountain biking. I actually noticed that I wasn't feeling like I needed to chug water the first hour of the ride, which is often the case on a Sunday morning ride when I've been out the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa View Post

That's pretty funny. Another good reminder that life goes on even without alcohol, despite what our (the world, but MTB in particular) culture might have you think.

16 days in... and I am sleeping better, or at least I'm waking up better.

Glad to be a part of a great challenge, with a great group of participants.
    I'll drink (water) to that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Sorry to hear that, DeadGrandpa. Have you tried being not dead yet? You may have to do that first. You know; set the stage.
    Oh, CaptDan. Some who are Dead are not lacking life. Some who are Grandpa do not have children. I experimented with excessive consumption of alcohol, but found the experience empty and boring. I wish strength to those who struggle with the slavery of addiction (to alcohol or whatever). A month of sober living is a good start.

mtbr member
    Excellent!
    Thanks, DG; good synopsis.

mtbr member
    I went 30 days alcohol free last year....it was easy!
    Wait, 30 days in a row?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I went 30 days alcohol free last year....it was easy!
    Wait, 30 days in a row?
    Ah. A genuine College Grad. The devil is in the details, is it not?

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Really starting to think this isn't going to end with January.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Really starting to think this isn't going to end with January.
    As I said, a good start. Now, if we could get a movement started to improve spelling and punctuation here, I would appreciate it. Come to think of it, sober posting might improve spelling, etc.

mtbr member
    I'm hoping the longer I stick with the challenge, the fewer times this panel will pop up...

Name:  pastedImage.png
Views: 166
Size:  191.8 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    haven't been drinking, just pigging out at night after dinner.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Okay, time for a little Friday night fun.

My wife was really bugging for a beer tonight, but I convinced her to join me in a delicious lemon/lime soda water, which seems to have stemmed the tide, but it got me thinking about non-alcoholic beer. I used to drink the stuff back when I was racing full time, and actually liked it. Yes, it's .05 ABV, but apparently impossible to get drunk on.

Guy drinks 30 O'Doul's in an hour in an effort to get drunk:
    https://deadspin.com/will-drinking-2...-me-1210108551

What say you fellow 30 day challengers? Legal? Cheating? Don't even go there? It's nothing more than beer flavored soda water?

Don't worry, be happy!
    Cheating. Sort of like making a avocado-tofu-stevia "latte" when you are supposed to give up sugar and dairy..

noob bikepacker
    48 years old...48 years with no alcohol/drugs/smoking!!!

as always I am in in supporting the cause!

the sxe in my name stands for Straight Edge...been Edge since 1981...first time I saw Minor Threat....
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Okay, time for a little Friday night fun.

My wife was really bugging for a beer tonight, but I convinced her to join me in a delicious lemon/lime soda water, which seems to have stemmed the tide, but it got me thinking about non-alcoholic beer. I used to drink the stuff back when I was racing full time, and actually liked it. Yes, it's .05 ABV, but apparently impossible to get drunk on.

Guy drinks 30 O'Doul's in an hour in an effort to get drunk:
    https://deadspin.com/will-drinking-2...-me-1210108551

What say you fellow 30 day challengers? Legal? Cheating? Don't even go there? It's nothing more than beer flavored soda water?

I think its is fine but purist will call it cheating. It really depends on your own comfort level I suppose.

Since it is called non alcohol beer and alcohol free beer in Europe I think the aim is fairly clear.

But heck I am the guy who was accused of cheating for having a Kombachu tea earlier in the thread. It disturbed me so much that I cried and did not bother to reply.

I say if your are comfortable having one then you are fine. If you feel it is cheating then dont do it.

This is after all a self policed policy event.

I think if you are downing a sixer or twelver at a time then you are cheating. In the sense of alcohol as I doubt you would get drunk or be over any limit with multiple NA beers but would have a measurable amount in your system for a test. I doubt that is the case with one. In the sense of behavior multiple NA beers would also be a slippery slope.

So one at a time I would think is fine as a refreshment.

Your mileage might vary

mtbr member
    Seems like I've been drinking 30 days straight!!

God I hate/love the silly season ;-)

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Cheating. Sort of like making a avocado-tofu-stevia "latte" when you are supposed to give up sugar and dairy..
    Ha! I wouldn't consider that cheating either! Sounds good though, maybe I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    the sxe in my name stands for Straight Edge...been Edge since 1981...first time I saw Minor Threat....
    How far do you go with that? Vegan? No sex?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo View Post
    I think its is fine but purist will call it cheating.

Since it is called non alcohol beer and alcohol free beer in Europe I think the aim is fairly clear.

I think if you are downing a sixer or twelver at a time then you are cheating. In the sense of alcohol as I doubt you would get drunk or be over any limit with multiple NA beers but would have a measurable amount in your system for a test. I doubt that is the case with one. In the sense of behavior multiple NA beers would also be a slippery slope.
    I'll stick to the purist definition for the 30 days, but might pick up a six of O'Doul's next month. See how it works out.

The video in that article above is pretty funny. The guy does succeed in getting his BAC up to .02 about half way through, but at the end of the hour (30 non-alcoholic beers) it's back down to zero. He pretty much proves it's not possible to get drunk with that stuff.

I could see it being a slippery slope for some people. Maybe to some extent because the hardliners say it's just as bad as drinking a real beer.

mtbr member
    Is cough syrup cheating?
    I took a dose of prescription cough syrup and... whoa!
    Not sure what the "active ingredient" is, but I was oddly happy.

noob bikepacker
    How far do you go with that? Vegan? No sex?
    I have always done no drinking, drugs, smoking, promiscuous sex; ...what I call the "original" version. I never got into "Hardline" and all that....to much stupidity and violence in that scene...people doing it for the wrong reasons.

I had tried veganism and vegetarian for other reasons in my life at points, but really find that it is not as healthy as eating a good balance of everything. I always felt sick when I was denying my body some form of what it needs to run on.

Always have tried to just be balanced, and positive. I hate being out of control, and being in an altered mental state is too much loss of control for me. Never needed it. I get natural highs from riding and playing music...
    '15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!!!

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    I have always done no drinking, drugs, smoking, promiscuous sex; ...what I call the "original" version.
    Good for you man. I've never been a smoker or drug user, so two out of four ain't bad. Looking back on it now though, that straight edge thing would have saved me a lot of drama.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Is cough syrup cheating?
    I took a dose of prescription cough syrup and... whoa!
    Not sure what the "active ingredient" is, but I was oddly happy.
    Probably vicodin (hydrocodone) or codeine. The latter one makes me sick as hell but I try to stay away from opioids entirely if at all possible. I've seen too many people get addicted or get on the path of addiction via prescribed medicine.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Who's thinking about going right past January 31st?

I'm kind of mentally gearing up for next Wednesday (more accurately the following Friday, weekday drinks were never a big thing for me anyway) as I'd really like to just keep this rolling.

There will be times a beer is worthwhile and I'll allow myself, but there will be far more times that a beer seems like a requirement socially despite being totally unnecessary and perhaps even detrimental. This exercise has helped me see the difference and I hope to keep sight of it moving forward.

How are you guys going to approach the 31st?

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Who's thinking about going right past January 31st?

I'm kind of mentally gearing up for next Wednesday (more accurately the following Friday, weekday drinks were never a big thing for me anyway) as I'd really like to just keep this rolling.

There will be times a beer is worthwhile and I'll allow myself, but there will be far more times that a beer seems like a requirement socially despite being totally unnecessary and perhaps even detrimental. This exercise has helped me see the difference and I hope to keep sight of it moving forward.

How are you guys going to approach the 31st?
    Pretty much planning to sail right on through it. Went until May last year, but probably won't this year. Going to institute a strict two beer per night / six beer per week limit. No liquor, and no wine either.

Have also been thinking about no drinking the first week of each month, which in reality would be closer to two weeks because I don't drink during the week....so maybe call it no drinking till the second weekend of each month?

mtbr member
    Pretty much planning to sail right on through it. Went until May last year, but probably won't this year. Going to institute a strict two beer per night / six beer per week limit. No liquor, and no wine either.

Have also been thinking about no drinking the first week of each month, which in reality would be closer to two weeks because I don't drink during the week....so maybe call it no drinking till the second weekend of each month?

I was thinking about pushing on and seeing how far I can get into the year. I like the idea of a drink free week to reset each month too.

noob bikepacker
    Good for you man. I've never been a smoker or drug user, so two out of four ain't bad. Looking back on it now though, that straight edge thing would have saved me a lot of drama.

thanks!!! I missed out on a TON of drama because of the choice...mental, physical, emotional, financial...saw most of my friends fall hard, and waste a ton of time in their lives being in the world of addiction and the other "darkness" that surrounds that world.

actually, being "non-involved" was one of the biggest things...according to my docs...that helped me recover from my heart attack.

So many people I come across just can't believe that I never got into drinking...it leaves some of them speechless...like they can't even conceive of someone making that choice, especially having grown up playing in punk/thrash/and metal bands

...that is scary to me. It is not that hard to avid...you just have to be strong in the formative years. It was a no brainer for me seeing where it was taking all of my friends lives
    '15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12