mtbr member
    Jul 2013

3 bests rides near Burlington, VT

I have a one week vacation in Burlington, VT from August 11th to 18th. I'll be there with my girlfriend and our two kids but I've seen there's some good MTB trails near by so I'm planing 2 or 3 ride by myself...

Any comments/experience/suggestion?

mtbr member
    Burlington's a great town. You're gonna love it. I do most of my riding 1 1/2 hours south around Killington, so can't help much round there. Any lbs should set you up and there's a Vermont forum on here you should post on.
    Enjoy.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've seen there's Stowe and waterbury maybe 20 miles from Burlington. Don't want to go too far since I don't want to sacrifice too much family time (my girlfriend neither!). I'll try the Vrmont forum thanks!

29ers Forever
    There is a trail on the waterfront in Burlington that is nice, but that does not count as a mountain trail.
    There definitely are some trails in Stowe, but I live in southern VT, so I do not know exactly where they are located. Stowe is about 40 miles from Burlington.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    check out fotwheel.org

Yo.

^this.

Also check out localmotion.org

Within Burlington city limits, there is short, non-to-moderately technical riding in the woods behind Burlington High School, in Ethan Allen Park, and in the Intervale. Trail networks in Sunny Hollow in Colchester, at Mud Pond in Williston, and in the Hinesburg Town Forest are fun and close to town, as is the Catamount Outdoor Center, which will just be coming off hosting a pro XC event, so the trails there should be excellent. Further afield, there is great riding in Stowe and Waterbury, and at trail centers in Stowe (Trapp Family Lodge) and Huntington (Sleepy Hollow). The Millstone Trails in the Barre/Montpelier area are in and around old quarries, and are super cool (literally). And, of course, being from QC, you know that the Kingdom Trails are some of the flowiest, bike-mag-photo-shoot-worthy riding you'll find, anywhere.

Enjoy your visit!
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks a lot! I'll be in a rental house on Colchester point road so Ethan Allen Park is very close. Seems like my bike will see some action!

mtbr member
    +1 Catamount center.

mtbr member
    If you're in the Colchester area, you might want to check out the Causeway trail. It isn't a mtn bike trail, but I believe one end of it is at Colchester point, and it will take you right down to the waterfront area right near downtown.
    Very unique ride.

All this harmonica stuff
    All these places are having a lot of trail damage from their rainiest June and a still wet July. Waterbury - closed, Catamount does have water issues after heavy rain, Stowe Trails are majority closed/in need.

One Stowe trail.

3 bests rides near Burlington, VT-599549_10151495852386977_1010235024_n.jpg
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches.

mtbr member
    Yup^ Rainiest may/june back to back months ever. The lake is only a few inches from flood level. http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...&nclick_check=
    The state is taking a beating, again.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    Thanks a lot! I'll be in a rental house on Colchester point road so Ethan Allen Park is very close. Seems like my bike will see some action!
    If you are on colchester point hit sunny hollow before Ethan Allen. Ethan Allen isn't really mountain biking. There are trails behind the high school which is basically across the street from Ethan Allen. Fun for about a half hour. You can ride the bike path down from colchester to the trails by the HS to make it an interesting ride. Sunny hollow is about a 15 minute drive from colchester point and will be much better than either Ethan Allen or the HS. Even better, saxons hill is only 20-25 minutes from colchester and better than sunny hollow. As suggested check out fotwheel.org.

I'd hate to have some one ride Ethan Allen or the HS and think that is Vermont mountain biking.

All this harmonica stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisinvermont View Post
    If you are on colchester point hit sunny hollow before Ethan Allen. Ethan Allen isn't really mountain biking. There are trails behind the high school which is basically across the street from Ethan Allen. Fun for about a half hour. You can ride the bike path down from colchester to the trails by the HS to make it an interesting ride. Sunny hollow is about a 15 minute drive from colchester point and will be much better than either Ethan Allen or the HS. Even better, saxons hill is only 20-25 minutes from colchester and better than sunny hollow. As suggested check out fotwheel.org.

I'd hate to have some one ride Ethan Allen or the HS and think that is Vermont mountain biking.
    RE: the closing of your post - I don't want some one to think the trails are not to be considered come August. I know these are volunteer, co-operative trails within each community. So if the trails were like what I'd found there, in August things may not be the same.
    Not in a bad way -- just a lot of workers needed. I'm doing mine once things become organized.
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches.