I'm really diggin it!

2017 Sustainable Trails Coalition Legislation

New for 2017

STC getting it done with a new bill:

Sustainable Trails Coalition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paper or plastic?
    Very exciting! Time to give more money to the effort.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtb'er
    Time to bang the phones to plead for Democrat support. You know the opposition will be fiercely calling.

Stolen from Facebook (with some edits):

Helpful advice for anyone making calls to Senators and Representatives, from a person who used to work on Capitol Hill as the person in charge of all the incoming phone calls to my Senator's office. Insider tips to make calling your reps easier and quicker.

1. Give your name, city, and zip code, and say "I don't need a response." That way, they can quickly confirm you are a constituent, and that they can tally you down without taking the time to input you into a response database.

2. PLEASE ONLY CALL YOUR OWN REPRESENTATIVES! Your tally will not be marked down unless you can rattle off a city and zip from the state, or are calling from an in-state area code. I know you really want to give Mitch McConnell a piece of your mind, but your call will be ignored unless you can provide a zip from Kentucky. And don't try to make this up; I could often tell who was lying before I even picked up the phone from the caller ID. Exceptions to this are things like Paul Ryan's ACA poll.

3. State the issue, state your position. "I support human powered travel in Wilderness and ask that Representative ___________ supports or co-sponsors HR 1349". That's it. That's all we write down so we can get a tally of who is in favor, who is against. It doesn't matter WHY you hold that opinion. The more people calling, the less detail they write down. Help them out by being simple and direct.

4. Please be nice! The people answering the phones on Capitol Hill already had the hardest job in DC and some of the lowest pay as well, and for a month now their jobs have become absolute murder, with nonstop calls for 9 hours every day. Thank them for their hard work answering the phones, because without them our Senators could not represent us.

What does this sound like?

"Hi, my name is Mark, I'm a constituent from Fresno, zip code 98***, I don't need a response. I support human powered travel in Wilderness, including bicycles, and I encourage the Senator to please support HR1349. Thanks for your hard work answering the phones!"

This is how I wish every caller had phrased their message. It makes it easier for the people answering the phones and takes less time and emotion than a long script. I know that you want to say why, but keeping it short and sweet helps the office answer more calls per hour, meaning more people get heard. The bigger the tally, the more powerful our voice.

Also, when you're reading off the same script as 100 other callers that day... well...they can tell.

Pick one issue each day, use this format (I am in favor of _____ or I oppose ______), and call your 2 Senators and 1 Representative on their DC and State Office lines, and you'll be on your way to being heard.
    Find your Senators and Representative here:
    How to Help - Sustainable Trails Coalition

mtbr member
    Stoked that this is underway, and hope for good results. That said, is there any way to see the bill language? It's not posted on STC's site, the congress.gov site or the various sites of the sponsoring reps.

It seems from the descriptions that this new bill differs (in text, if not in principle) from the Senate bill last year, but I could have that wrong.

mtbr member
    Not much yet, but check back here as the session progresses
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...ouse-bill/1349

Here is the new title
    H.R.1349 - To amend the Wilderness Act to ensure that the use of bicycles, wheelchairs, strollers, and game carts is not prohibited in Wilderness Areas, and for other purposes.

In my opinion, the title needs an amendment to delete "and for other purposes" as this will lead to all kinds of speculation.

My wife and I are expecting our first baby soon. I'll be supporting this bill so we can use a stroller in our local Wilderness!!
    ;-)

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBored View Post
    H.R.1349 - To amend the Wilderness Act to ensure that the use of bicycles, wheelchairs, strollers, and game carts is not prohibited in Wilderness Areas, and for other purposes.

In my opinion, the title needs an amendment to delete "and for other purposes" as this will lead to all kinds of speculation.
    "...and for other purposes" is boilerplate language on most bills introduced to congress.

Examples:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...bill/1269/text

Oh look... another Wilderness expansion... maybe the "for other purposes" clause means they will allow mountain biking ;-)
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...bill/1285/text

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Moving this to General since it is a nationwide bill, not a NorCal Specific Bill. We need more eyes on this.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Time to bang the phones to plead for Democrat support. You know the opposition will be fiercely calling.

Stolen from Facebook (with some edits):

Find your Senators and Representative here:
    How to Help - Sustainable Trails Coalition
    Done! And thank you for the above info.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Moving this to General since it is a nationwide bill, not a NorCal Specific Bill. We need more eyes on this.
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Great info, just made my three calls! Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I contacted Huffman, Harris and Feinstein to urge support of this.

Might be worth getting the word out to bikepacking groups (bikepacking magazine and bikepacking.net). I read that Gary Johnson, the 2016 Libertarian presidential candidate and former governor, is into bikepacking. Maybe he would get behind the bill.

I'm not sure what the best way would be to reach parents, on a national level, that would want to take kids in off-road strollers in wilderness areas. Maybe parenting magazines? Mom's groups close to popular wilderness areas? There are a fair number of trail runners who are parents, so maybe trail running organizations and magazines would encourage support.

Maybe Zinke, the new secretary of the interior, would support this? I was glad to see he signed orders supporting recreation on public lands on his first day. I wrote to DOI to encourage the inclusion of mountain biking in the push for expanded recreation access.

https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/da...s-public-lands

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    We recently got an announcement that House Federal Lands Subcommittee Chairman Tom McClintock (R-Calif.) has introduced legislation to let federal land managers regulate bicycle use on Wilderness trails. Details of the bill can be found at https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...ouse-bill/1349

The STC press release is here:
    CONGRESSMAN McCLINTOCK INTRODUCES BICYCLE WILDERNESS TRAVEL BILL ? Sustainable Trails Coalition

I have written the following letter to our 2 Senators and my congress person. If you agree that land managers should have the flexibility and tools to manage Wilderness in the proper way for their location and population, please support STC and also write your own letter. Its a bit of work but think how you'll feel when your grandchildren ask "Papa (or Nana) - what did you do to fight for bicycle access back in the 20-teens ?"

-----
    Dear ----

I am a lifelong native Washington resident and like many of your constituents I am an avid outdoor recreation enthusiast that supports maintaining wildlands and backcountry areas.

Unfortunately I am often stymied by the large amounts of land that have been placed under the Federal designation of Wilderness. There is not a very fine degree of gradation in the various land management designations, and because of its inviolable nature and appealing sounding description, many environmentalists and well meaning citizens gravitate towards locking up land parcels with a Wilderness designation. This means drastically limiting what activities can occur in these areas, and even worse severely limits the options a land manager has available to allocate resources and recreation.

My greatest joy in life is riding my bicycle in the forests and mountains. This is why I am unable to support Wilderness as a land use designation. It puts me at odds with groups that I should be allied with such as conservation proponents. The Wilderness act originally had TWO goals. One was to preserve “Federal land retaining its primeval character and influence.” The Act has accomplished this nicely. The second was to protect land for “solitude or a primitive and unconfined type of recreation.” Those are my goals as a mountain biker, but if I want to ride my bicycle I’m banned on every Wilderness trail 100% of the time. The original Wilderness act did not prevent bicycle use, it was a later administrative interpretation in 1984 that prohbibited our group.

Certainly bicycles aren't appropriate for every Wilderness area or trail, but the land manager should have the flexibility to determine the best recreational use of Wilderness areas. By allowing bicycles the potential access to trail use, we can involve a new generation of outdoor enthusiasts in supporting, rather than fighting, future Wilderness designations.

It is in that spirit that I ask you to look at House Federal Lands Subcommittee Chairman Tom McClintock (R-Calif.) bill for introducing legislation to let federal land managers regulate bicycle use on Wilderness trails. The two bills are H.R. 1349 and S.3205. Please look into supporting these bills and increase public support for Wilderness areas by allowing land managers to make the right decisions for their areas of Wilderness and population.

Thank you,