mtbr member
    Oct 2011

2012 trance x3 or 2012 anthem x2 ????

whats up everyone . I need some input on which bike to get its between the trance x3 and the 29er anthem x2 . been riding for about a year now and feel iam just starting to get a good feel for my 05 trance 4 love the way it rides even with the stock fork , should i upgtrade to the 2012 trance x3 or would i b better off just getting the anthem x 2 29er .?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    What type of riding are you planning on doing?

If single track I would probably go for the anthem but if your looking to do some super aggressive downhill stuff the Trance might be a better route.

I like the Anthem personally. If you've settled on Giant, I've always felt the XTC is looks pretty cool (never ridden one) but its a hard tail which does not seem to be what your looking for.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    for now mostly single track ,but like i said i am just getting started only been riding for a little over a yr ,and i love the technical stuff so thats 1 piont for the trance(lol) thanks for your responce

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have an X1 Anthem and love it to bits, I tend to do XC only so fits the bill perfectly.

Depends on where you ride but for XC has to be Anthem any rougher and poss consider looking at Trance.

Best thing is rode both and see.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    How does your x1 anthem handle the 1 or 2 foot drops does it
    Feel alot diffrent then the 26 er does it take more of an effort to control
    The bike?

Tactical Nightmare
    I am a new '11 Anthem X 29er 2 owner, and I can say I love it! I mainly do XC, but there are some good, flowy downhills with some little kickers, and it tears it up going downhill. Certainly, it isn't the massive travel bike for hardcore downhill, but for the XC trails here in Oregon, it works great. Just my $.02 on the Anthem!
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i ve heard alot of riders say the same thing that the trance is better for rougher trails ..(remember iam new to this) why wouldnt it b just as good on the xc trails also??

Hell Track
    it is probably just as sweet on the smooth trails, but maybe a bit rougher hauling it on the way up if you have long climbs

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have been riding a trance x2 for a little while now, after moving countries and leaving my 29er hardtail at home. I'm not sure of the exact weight specs, but the considering what it can handle downhill, the trance is really light and climbs really well. I probably do a touch more downhill than it sounds like you are interested in, but for a very small cost uphill, its really nice to have the extra handling on the downhill.

If possible, I would recommend trying to find a larger bike shop that deals giants and seeing if they will let you demo. I am in New Zealand now, but before buying my trance, I rode one for a day and a half for free through a big bike shop chain. Perhaps you try them both and see for yourself, if you can find a store to let you demo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    yea ,thats exactly what iam going to do ,found a giant dealer close by in bordentown nj the guys that work their are all guys who ride so one of them offered to let me ride his trance x1 and they have a 2011 anthem x1 also ... thanks for all the input i'll let u guys know what i choose ...thanks again

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am interested to hear what you think and have to say about the two bikes! I have ridden both bikes and now own an Anthem 29er X2 and love it. Beautiful bike, handles a 265 pound man very well, awesome climbing and descending abilities, and in my opinion has a more versatile set-up. Giant bikes in general are pretty sick and good luck with your search!