mtbr member
    Mar 2013

2012 marlin issues. what to expect ...

In late February I bought a 2012 Trek Marlin. Fast forward to today when it finally has started to get warm and I get to take it out for a ride. I get a few miles from my house and I am coming down a paved road when I hear a pop and look down. My rim had come off the fork. I get stopped with out killing myself and notice the quick disconnect is bent along with the rotor, the bottom of the fork is ate up also. I walk back to my house with the bike and call lbs who sold me the bike. They told me to bring it in and talk to the manager. What should I expect form the lbs? Does it matter that I put a different stem and set of bars on the bike?

Big Mac

2012 marlin issues. what to expect ...

What is the issue? You forgot to tighten the quick release? What am I missing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Based on what you've told us, they will most likely tell you it was operator error. They should help you get sorted out, but you'll probably be paying for it. Since you bought the bike there they might be willing to set you up with a crash replacement price. Explain your situation in a level headed manner and understand it was most likely an oversight on your part, not a defect in manufacturing or assembly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    This was the first time I rode the bike. I have never had the wheel off. It is just starting to warm up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TFunkMcAwesome View Post
    This was the first time I rode the bike. I have never had the wheel off. It is just starting to warm up.
    Sorry to hear about your bike.

I always make sure my quick-release skewers are properly tightened before each ride. Just a few things I check before a ride. Rather be safe, then have a costly "live and learn" experience.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    That changes things a little but since its been so long it's hard to say. It's possible the QR levers were accidentally opened in transport or on storage. Did you take the front wheel off to get the bike home? Good luck with the shop, you seem to have the right attitude about it, glad you didn't get hurt. And to answer your question about the bars, that shouldn't matter but maybe see if they can double check your work while it's in the shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Update
    So I go in today and the LBS manager said it looks like equipment failure. It is on its way to Trek now. If they agree I get this years model.