mtbr member
    Apr 2012

2011 karakoram 1.0 new or used avalanche 1.0

I am just getting back into mountain biking after 18 years. Boy have things changed! I am looking at getting a GT karakoram 1.0 or a used avalanche 1.0 both are 2011 But I dont really know which would be a better deal. I dont know if bike warrenty work like they use to but the follow the first owner is that true? If so avalanche will have no frame warrenty.
    Avalanche is $500
    New Karakoram is $799 I also get one free tune up and life time adjustments...
    Now I am torn between a 26 and a 29er. I plan to do mostley trails around some local lakes and maybe some down hill stuff. Dont plan to race or jump off cliffs. but do what the bike to hold up.
    I am a fluffy fella about 5'8" the Karakoram is a med and the avalanche is a L. being the Karakoram is a 29er a med sits right at my crotch and so does a 26 L. Is that too big? I have tried some other brands in a small 29er and a med 26 both give me space between the bar and my kids but they just feel small like a kids bike. Being I am dropping a lot of coin (for a newbie) I wanna make sure I do whats right for me...
    What is everyones input PLEASE HELP THIS NEWBIE!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I would definitely go have the bike shop fit you. I am 5-9 1/2 and while I thought I would have been a medium when I went to the get fitted MOST shops put me on a large (29er btw).

The last shop I went to was refered to by many in my area as having one of the best custom fit guys around. He said my cockpit was WAY too cramped in the medium. He said that was much more important than standover in terms of ridding comfortably.

Keep in mind I am a newb as well so take that for what it's worth. Had I just gone in on my own or just went by what the chic (who doesn't even ride btw) at my local Performance Bike I would be on a medium right now.

On the trail I have met a few advanced riders who all say I would have been way too cramped on a smaller bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Avalanche L may feel a bit too large for you. I am 175 cm (just under 5'9"), after test riding Avalanche in both M and L sizes I opted for M. The choice depends on many factors, of course.
    The only manufacturer I know to give warranty on second hand bike frames is Merida, the rest limit the warranty to the original owner. Over here the bike shops usually give 2 month warranty on used bikes (parts and tune ups, but not frames).
    The most important measure in fitting a mountain bike is not standover, but rather the frame length (usually referred to as ETT - effective or TTT - theoretical top tube).

mtbr member
    I agree with the advice given by both Atl-Biker and xenon. I would go and get a proper fit. You want to ensure that it will be fit you properly (frame length, etc..). This makes a big difference on how you will feel about whatever bike you choose when out on the trails...

mtbr member
    Agree, fit is more important than anything else here.

That said, I have a 2012 Karakoram 1.0 and it's a very sweet bike....just glides on the trail. If it's your choice, you can do a lot worse on a new bike....especially for the price.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What does any one think about the 2012 specialized 29er vs Karakoram?