mtbr member
    May 2011

2011 GT Karakoram 1.0 Sizing

Hi guys,

Last year I bought my first 29er: A new for 2011 GT Karakoram 1.0 - Large size.
    I'm 182 cm tall and something always felt a little off to me. Yesterday I tried my friend's new GT timberline 1.0 (which are great for the money) - M size, and it fitted me like a glove.
    It made me quite unhappy with my local bike shop who's fitted me with a L size.
    My question is, what should I do to make my bike feel more like the M size? New frame is out of the question, because of financial reasons. I've already moved the saddle a bit forward and there's a change for the better, but I've heard it not so great to compensate for long top tube with moving the saddle because of pedaling efficiency (I don't feel it - maybe because I moved the saddle only a bit forward). Other than that, I was given an advice to change for shorter stem. Currently, I got a 90mm stem. Which size should I get? 80mm\75mm\60mm?
    Thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mulic3 View Post
    Hi guys,

Last year I bought my first 29er: A new for 2011 GT Karakoram 1.0 - Large size.
    I'm 182 cm tall and something always felt a little off to me. Yesterday I tried my friend's new GT timberline 1.0 (which are great for the money) - M size, and it fitted me like a glove.
    It made me quite unhappy with my local bike shop who's fitted me with a L size.
    My question is, what should I do to make my bike feel more like the M size? New frame is out of the question, because of financial reasons. I've already moved the saddle a bit forward and there's a change for the better, but I've heard it not so great to compensate for long top tube with moving the saddle because of pedaling efficiency (I don't feel it - maybe because I moved the saddle only a bit forward). Other than that, I was given an advice to change for shorter stem. Currently, I got a 90mm stem. Which size should I get? 80mm\75mm\60mm?
    Thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

I picked up a xl frame and im 6'2
    here is what i did.

Answer dj stem, 720 bars w 2 in rise
    Slid saddle forward

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs1231 View Post
    I picked up a xl frame and im 6'2
    here is what i did.

Answer dj stem, 720 bars w 2 in rise
    Slid saddle forward
    Thanks for your help. I didn't quite understand what you meant by 'dj stem, 720 bars with 2 in rise. Can you please help me understand? How much mm are you talking about? Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    DJ is dirt jump. 720mm wide riser bars.

I got the same bike last year (in medium) and converted it to a single speed (already had a Niner CF fork on it). Rode it a few times and it felt good except going downhill. Weird geo or something, I never could get comfortable pointing it downhill.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

xc

Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    DJ is dirt jump. 720mm wide riser bars.

I got the same bike last year (in medium) and converted it to a single speed (already had a Niner CF fork on it). Rode it a few times and it felt good except going downhill. Weird geo or something, I never could get comfortable pointing it downhill.

Ya these bikes are not down hill designed.

Its a cross country hardtail.

The forks are terrible. I installed a x fusion slide 29.
    The wheelset is real cheap, i would replace them. I use sram x9 hubs and cf rims.
    The stem was too long so i installed a dirt jump stem. Very short.

I also replaced the shifters and rear derailure with sram x4 parts. And a shimano 8 speed cassette. Cheap from ebay, very nice.

The pedals are not bad but i replaced them with deity flat pedals.

All in all its a nice bike now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Maybe you're referring to the timberline 1.0
    I got the Karakoram 1.0. Different animal.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Any idea what stem should I use? 80\75\60?
    Is a 60 mm stem a too drastic change?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    In all fairness, it is impossible to fit you over interwebz. You would be best served to go to a LBS that a respectable fitter and get dialed in.

If you posted pictures of yourself on the bike would also help. Saddle position does not matter due to frame size, saddle position is determined on knee placement to pedal spindle. Saddle position has zero to do with your top tube length.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    In all fairness, it is impossible to fit you over interwebz. You would be best served to go to a LBS that a respectable fitter and get dialed in.

If you posted pictures of yourself on the bike would also help. Saddle position does not matter due to frame size, saddle position is determined on knee placement to pedal spindle. Saddle position has zero to do with your top tube length.
    Thanks man, but my lbs got only black ones and I need white, and I'm not so keen with trying there and buying off ebay. What would you get if you were at my place, The 75mm or the 60mm? Remember that I pushed the saddle a little bit forward and now it feels better, but I intend to put it back to it's initial placement once I get the stem. So, which one?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My mistake, the two options are 60mm or 80mm.
    I think that when I get the saddle back to it's place, 1 cm less stem won't make such a difference, but I'm worried that 3cm less might be worse. Or better. So...

mtbr member
    May 2011

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The width of the bars and the length of the stem will make a drastic difference. I bought a pair of inexpensive pair of low raise bars ( 750 mm wide) and used a cheap pipe cutter to cut them down as I tried out a couple of stems. Many bars have cut lines on them, so it is easy. See if your local shop has some used stems, or buy a couple of cheap stems and try them out. It is always good to have a couple of stems laying around as your riding style/needs may change.

mtbr member
    Use the KOPS method to determine the saddle location then change the stem length as needed. The wider bars will give you more control and slow down the steering.

Bottom line, get fitted properly.

The GT 29ers run a bit taller than others, I tried a medium and it was like being on a large, maybe your total height is not the problem; it might be that your legs are shorter and the shop sold you the bike based on your total height instead of inseam.