mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New question here. 2011 Giant Anthem x2, Giant Trance x2 or Scott Spark 50?

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to MTB, so forgive me if i sound like a kook or posted on the wrong section.

I always had MTBikes but only started riding it i bit more seriously on the beginning of last year, currently i'm riding a Giant Talon 3 2009 model. But i'm staring to feel the need of an upgrade. I usually ride single tracks but nothing too hardcore, the tracks i run have lots of big hill climbs so a good light climbing bike is a must for me, on the other hand i'd love to go full suspension.

my budget is around AU$2000 - 2500, i know i wouldn't get more than an entry level bike for that kind of price but it's what i can afford atm.

the bikes i have in mind are: 2011 Giant Anthem x2, Giant Trance x2 or Scott Spark 50.

I've been a big fan of giant all my life, but i'm happy to try something else... what cough my attention on the scott is the dual locking system on shocks as being my first full suspension bike it would be nice to easily lock the back suspension when i need it, making it feel closer to my hard tail giving me a smoother transition from it.

On the other hand, some guys that ride those giants say with their rear suspension you don't feel the need of locking it when going uphill as it feels quite stiff on your paddle strokes... i'm not sure how true that is...

Can someone give me some advice on what would be the best bike around that price even if its not one of the 3 above...

cheers,
    dan

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Love my Anthem X, would like the Scot 50 too. Not the Trance, I ride lots of single tracks with small climbs/downs. So the Trance is over the top for me. THough I take my x into the Alps too, even light freeride (carefully).

Your friends are right about the Meastro suspension, very little bob.
    I ride always with the X reardemper locked (kind of locked, propedal function) and only in the Alps I open it for long descents.

Good luck...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    hi leo,

for what i've been reading around, trance is more of a trail bike, and the anthem a xc/endurance competition bike, i don't intend to be competing a lot, at least not on a high level, since my riding skills are still pretty small, some friends told me i'll have more fun on the trance... specially on some of the tracks we have around here...

I'm not looking at the scott anymore as all reviews i read they say the reason they have the twin lock is because you are meant to use it, as you will get lots of pedal bob, and since this model only have 2 stages on the lock, ether on or off, it kind of put me off a little.

so i'm not between anthem x2 and trance x2. i have mixed opinions about them, some people like the anthem like you other like the trance... i guess it's preference and riding style... the best way i think would be going to a shop and taking them for a test drive...

thanks for the advice...
    cheers,
    dan

Afric Pepperbird
    Either Giant will be a great choice. Myself, I'd prefer the Trance, even in relatively flat terrain.

Once I saw Scott bikes being sold at REI, I discounted that brand as reputable, for some reason.

mtbr member
    Either Giant would be good. I'm not sure what the trails are like in Queensland as i'm in Victoria, but i've found the Trance was fine for everything and climbs almost as well as the Anthem. I've never had any problems climbing on my trance at all, my fitness will give out before the bike does!! Another option is to speak to your LBS as you'd likely ride the same trails as them and see what they suggest.
    2011 Kona Dr. Dew
    2010 Giant Trance X2
    2008 Giant Rincon

jct
    mtbr member
    isn't Scott made by Giant anyway??

i like the maestro suspension. if tuned properly, you may not even need the propedal on the rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah after long readings i made my decision [i think]. trance is the bike for me, but i still want to take the Anthem for a ride to feel the difference and see which one i like best...

Scott is definitely out of the question after taking it for a test drive, there is a reason for the twin lock for sure, you have to use it... and having a full suspension bike to ride it 50% of the time locked it's kind of pointless... maybe the model above that have the 3 stage lock unlocked, half lock and full lock could be better, but its way above my price tag... plus i like the giants, always did, you can't beat the price value for it...

thanks for the tips anyways... cheers, dan

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Did you make the big decision yet?

I was looking at the same bikes. Went with the Trance X2.

Good Luck!
    Dan

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    yeah trance x2 is the bike of choice, pretty happy with it...

The Cheater
    "there is a reason for the twin lock for sure, you have to use it... and having a full suspension bike to ride it 50% of the time locked it's kind of pointless... "

Exactly why I sold the all carbon Spark and kept the alum Titus X... Twin lock: band aid solution to a flawed design marketed as a superior feature. Scott makes the best hardtails though...
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just to muddy the waters a little further, consider the Norco Fluid 2 in the same price range but a little lower. Just got one for my GF and it's got a great parts spec, and with the money you save you can upgrade here or there. Only complaint is it's a little heavy but not sure what the giant or trek weigh so hard to compare.

Is it Friday yet?
    Love my Anthem 29er.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Second the Anthem 29er.

mtbr member
    Rode a Trance X2, Anthem X2 26er, Anthem X2 29er but settled on a different brand 26er with 5inch travel. Plush suspension and climbing was the deciding factor.

If racing was in the game then the Anthem X2 29er would be at the top.
    Michael

'89 Eddy Merckx Century
    '90 Bridgestone MB1
    '04 Giant TCR Zero
    '11 Ibis Mojo SL

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    just curious what bike you went with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dk13 View Post
    Yeah after long readings i made my decision [i think]. trance is the bike for me, but i still want to take the Anthem for a ride to feel the difference and see which one i like best...

Scott is definitely out of the question after taking it for a test drive, there is a reason for the twin lock for sure, you have to use it... and having a full suspension bike to ride it 50% of the time locked it's kind of pointless... maybe the model above that have the 3 stage lock unlocked, half lock and full lock could be better, but its way above my price tag... plus i like the giants, always did, you can't beat the price value for it...

thanks for the tips anyways... cheers, dan
    Sorry, I am a newb here and to this sport, but can you please explain this for me. The "you have to use it" part. I actually got a nice deal on this bike so wanted to find out.

Thanks