mtbr member
    Oct 2011

2008 cannondale scalpel as a trail bike ?

I have the chance to pick up a NOS 2008 scalpel for a great price, my best description of my riding is mostly XC type stuff, no major jumps, some minor smooth downhilling, I normally ride a hard tail and was thinking this would be my venture into full suspension. My question is, would the scalpel be a good choice for this, or is it too race oriented to live with on a daily basis, what do you think ?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Err, that's a high end XC racing bike, not an all-mountain or trail bike. Furthermore, they had issues with chainstays/seatstays breaking. I'd stay away.

If you wanted to put a 100mm fork on it instead of 80mm and ride it as an all-around XC bike, I'm sure it'd work ok geometry-wise. It'd be twitchy and you'd want to be careful to get your weight way back for obstacles, but it would not be a huge deal to ride it on XC stuff, that's the entire point of the bike.

I'm not sure it's the best idea to get the scalpel though due to it's design, I'd recommend saving up more $$ and buying a 4" travel 29er or 27.5 if you can. The edge would go to the 29er in being able to handle obstacles and more types of terrain.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Jayem,
    Thanks for the input, not sure if it matters much but the scalpel i'm looking at has the 110mm lefty and a 100mm rp2. I currently ride a Fisher 29" X-cal, and still enjoy my 26" hardtail, so i'm not totally converted to the 29er movement. I hadn't considered the design issues though, i did contact Cannondale and they assured me that the lifetime warranty applies as i purchasing a new,albeit leftover, bike from an authorized dealer. Good stuff to consider though, again, thanks for the input.

Elitest thrill junkie
    If you are just riding xc I'm sure it would be ok, just that it's more race orientated. I'd be mostly suspect of the rear end holding up.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

T.W.O.
    I've seen the scalpel descending thru some nasty section on the race day but I doubt it's a comfortable trail bike and don't let the 69*+ head angle fool you. That bike is plenty responsive and race ready. I would not use it for trail riding. I use my earlier model scalpel as a commuter and it's awesome.