mtbr member
    Feb 2010

2000 Klein Mantra Comp

2000 Mantra Comp been stored inside for 8 years listed on craigslist. Ridden hard for 2 years, everything is original and functioning. I have a 2001 Klein Attitude and love the thing, but I might buy the Mantra to see if I like it. I know some Mantras are pretty sought after-What would some of you pay for this Mantra? (to help give me an idea for what I pay...)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bhyman1088 View Post
    2000 Mantra Comp been stored inside for 8 years listed on craigslist. Ridden hard for 2 years, everything is original and functioning. I have a 2001 Klein Attitude and love the thing, but I might buy the Mantra to see if I like it. I know some Mantras are pretty sought after-What would some of you pay for this Mantra? (to help give me an idea for what I pay...)
    I would pay around $500, but I only want a 99 or newer...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I dont know why you'd want a newer mantra... the pre-trek ones are the best IMO. I have a 98 Mantra Race (aluminum, full XTR/XT) and i would never sell it. Easily the best climbing bike i've ridden.

If its just the comp i'd being paying on the lower end, but still you'd be hard pressed to find one under 600-700 in good condition. I got the deal of a century buying my Mantra Race for 200 from my buddies sister who got it when she was 17 and rode the bike maybe 10 times over the 7 years she had it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A 12 year old antique?

T.W.O.
    I guess it depends on what you wanna do with it. If you turn the Mantra in to a SingleSpeed it would be a fun bike to ride. I'm doing the same with my URT Ibis Szabo. I don't know how much you'd like the 3" travel in the front and 6" travel rear for trail riding

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I guess it depends on what you wanna do with it. If you turn the Mantra in to a SingleSpeed it would be a fun bike to ride. I'm doing the same with my URT Ibis Szabo. I don't know how much you'd like the 3" travel in the front and 6" travel rear for trail riding
    The thing with the mantra, is that the design actually makes it a perfect XC bike in that when you are standing up going balls out, its essentially a hard-tail bike. Its really only when you sit on the seat that the rear shock is active.

Like i said, most that have never ridden a mantra, just look at one as out-dated technology and simply, "an old bike"... but really, its still a fantastic bike for certain types of riding. If i'm doing trail riding or single track, my mantra is the first choice. (provided you replaced the original manitou answer fork, for me, i put a Fox F80 RL on there)

mtbr member
    $500 seems reasonable to me.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There aren't too many "pre-trek" influenced Mantras ('98 is not pre Trek). As far as Desireability.... They're pretty low on the Klein Scale. Only the first gen, with the oil can rear shock seem to perk much interest. I think anyone searching for a Klein Mantra would be better off with the later models. Slightly different geometry and an improved rear triangle that wasn't prone to breaking.

That being said, I owned a '96 Mantra (briefly) and a '97 I rode regularly up until the rear triangle collapsed last summer. They're great climbing bikes, and with a new front fork they gobble up single track. Its only the constant change in crank to seat issue (it's a urt), barely noticeable suspension when descending, and tendency to stink bug in corners, that take some getting used to and prevent them from being an awesome all around bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroKlein View Post
    There aren't too many "pre-trek" influenced Mantras ('98 is not pre Trek). As far as Desireability.... They're pretty low on the Klein Scale. Only the first gen, with the oil can rear shock seem to perk much interest. I think anyone searching for a Klein Mantra would be better off with the later models. Slightly different geometry and an improved rear triangle that wasn't prone to breaking.

That being said, I owned a '96 Mantra (briefly) and a '97 I rode regularly up until the rear triangle collapsed last summer. They're great climbing bikes, and with a new front fork they gobble up single track. Its only the constant change in crank to seat issue (it's a urt), barely noticeable suspension when descending, and tendency to stink bug in corners, that take some getting used to and prevent them from being an awesome all around bike.
    By pre-trek, i meant that when it was originally designed by Klein himself at first. When they added the curve from the seatpost to the top tube is when Trek starting having more of an influence on the design.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by peacob View Post
    The thing with the mantra, is that the design actually makes it a perfect XC bike in that when you are standing up going balls out, its essentially a hard-tail bike. Its really only when you sit on the seat that the rear shock is active.

Like i said, most that have never ridden a mantra, just look at one as out-dated technology and simply, "an old bike"... but really, its still a fantastic bike for certain types of riding. If i'm doing trail riding or single track, my mantra is the first choice. (provided you replaced the original manitou answer fork, for me, i put a Fox F80 RL on there)
    The Mantra is an aquired taste some would love it and others could not get used to the feeling. It served the purpose back in the days when people still think that hardtail is the most efficient way to climb. Now more and more riders see the benefit of active suspension on the climb without zapping the pedaling power and render older design obsolete.

I own 3 of Klein's Full Suspension designs I gotta say the Monolink on the Palomino is the best design, not only when compare to other Klein when compare to all designs. My go to bike is still a Monolink design ML8 even when I have a garage full of other FS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have a Klien Mantra Comp 97'? (Black & Yellow) model that I ride every once and a while.

Besides all the "blast from the past" comments I get, overall it's still a decent suspension bike with Bomber fork imo. That is comparing it to Specialized Epic and Camber that I replaced it with later on in life.

Funny as it sounds that bike does draw the attention from the ladies when I ride it, must be the giant yellow phallic nature of the beast. lol