Commuter/SS/XC Rider

2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara worth upgrading?

Hey everyone. I just bought a 2000 Tassajara from a friend for $100.

It looks exactly like this stock pic from bikepedia:

http://www.bikepedia.com/Images/Imag...+Tassajara.jpg

The frame feels very solid and this makes me want to upgrade the bike (because my other bike's a singlespeed and I finally want to have another geared bike to ride).

Anyways, do you think the bike is worth putting several hundred dollars of upgrades (new fork, wheelset, tires, etc) into because of the frame; or not? I want to upgrade it (and I'm going to do a few relatively cheap things regardless like get a better stem and handlebar setup and perhaps a suspension seatpost) but I don't want to sink money into a bike that would not be "worth it" in the long run.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Also, do you have any recommended upgrades that don't break the bank but would be a huge step up from the stock manitou fork and other stock components?
    Anyone can be complicated but it takes wisdom and a conscious effort to achieve simplicity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why not? Bling it out then, when and if the time comes you can move all your bling to the next frame. Think of it as working on your dream build except that you can actually ride while you build.

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/watch...east_of_these/
    Come along and ride on a fantastic voyage! Slide, slide,slippitty slide!

WWW.SWEETDREAMBED.COM

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sure it is. I bought a '98 Big Sur frame off of ebay for $26. It was pretty scratched up so I bought a $2 can of green spay paint and the scratches disappeared. Bought most everything else off ebay except for the wheels I borrowed from my Sugar. Ended up putting only about $500 into it and love the bike.

Disabled Vet
    Go crazy Bro!!! Remember,if you ever get it completely blinged out and you regret having all blingy parts on a budget minded frame,your next upgrade would be a sweet new frame to put alla the niceties on,then you can rebuild the GF with alla the parts you took off and have a beater/spare bike to loan to noobs and take em on their first ride

Bang for the buck? Don't be afraid to look at used gear,there are some stinkers,but also some really great deals too! (EG: I horse traded a frame I was selling for 2 really nice,well cared for used forks-a Fox RLC125 Vanilla and RS Duke Race). For BFTB drivetrain parts,look just below the manufacturer's top-tiers (EG:I went w/ Sram X9 stuff,waay cheaper than XO,sturdier,90% of the performance and only slightly heavier).

Have fun,happy hunting and don't forget pics!
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Hey! That was my first "real" bike!

(I miss her)

pedal pusher
    That's a really great frame, so you might as well have some fun with it.