RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

2" Riser bars for XC

I've recently been changing my cockpit - ended up w/a 60mm stem but feels like I need the bars higher. So I'm thinking aobut some ProTaper 720mm w/a 2" rise - I ride a Blur LT2 and worried that my front tire might be too unweighted and unstable on ascents.

Anybody have any experience w/a similar setup - I ride Nor Cal and climb steep sht all the time.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RDI View Post
    I've recently been changing my cockpit - ended up w/a 60mm stem but feels like I need the bars higher. So I'm thinking aobut some ProTaper 720mm w/a 2" rise - I ride a Blur LT2 and worried that my front tire might be too unweighted and unstable on ascents.

Anybody have any experience w/a similar setup - I ride Nor Cal and climb steep sht all the time.

Thanks!
    I think if you are not already to light in the front a 2"rise is not gong to do it. IMO chain stay length, front center, and seat post angle will have greater effect than a 2" riser bar.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I ride a 1.5" monkey light on my Superlight. I like the more upright feel of it. I don't think it really hurts me on climbs, but I do think it makes me way more confident on descents and drops.

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the info! - Gonna try it

see me rollin, they hatin
    yep, i got these Easton Monkeybar EA70. i think it was 40mm rise?
    fap

mtbr member
    I ride the Pro Taper 2" rise 720mm bars myself, but on a Rumblefish, which is already a more relaxed riding position. I don't feel like I am missing anything on the climbs. I generally am leaning way over the bars on a climb anyway, so a 2" rise would just mean that I am 2" closer to the bars.

Just my Opinion.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Carbon hi rise 46% off, $69.00, Jenson USA

I almost bought a pair, but went for Haven aluminum instead. Just got rid of all carbon fiber on both bikes. Sweet! Those Carbon bars are a great deal though, I am sure I would have been happy.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Thanks!
    It is impossible to say how a 2" ride bar will work for you without knowing what you are coming from. The rise of the bar is not the important thing, it is where your hands end up and that is affected by
    1-fork length
    2-steertube length
    3-spacers under the stem
    4- Rise of the bar.(and not all manufacturers measure this the same way)

A better way to think about it is how far above or below your saddle your grips are.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Right now I have Monkeylite with 1.5" rise - My BLur LT2 is the model between the original VPP and the tapered tube. Have Fox TALAS 32 150mm forks - in whatever position the forks are in the front tire is still pretty stable and I agree about the postitions of the bars in relation to the saddle. That's actually why I need to either shorten the stem or raise the bar heigth - my current position is straining my hips and gluts.

All good info!

Thanks!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Right now I have Monkeylite with 1.5" rise - My BLur LT2 is the model between the original VPP and the tapered tube. Have Fox TALAS 32 150mm forks - in whatever position the forks are in the front tire is still pretty stable and I agree about the postitions of the bars in relation to the saddle. That's actually why I need to either shorten the stem or raise the bar heigth - my current position is straining my hips and gluts.

All good info!

Thanks!
    Oh, well if you already have a 1.5" rise, 2" is not going to be overkill.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    How do you like those bars? - They look pretty nice

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Thanks!
    Hey Mr. RDI,

I live in Nor Cal as well, in the Sierra foothills, and absolutely love a bar with a 2" rise! I use the Spank Spike 777 Evo in a 50mm (2") rise and run it on both my Specialized Enduro SL Pro and my Santa Cruz VP Free. I also use a 40mm stem on both bikes.

Here is the Enduro. As you can see I run spacers as well as the 2" rise bar. I appreciate the ability they give me to easily loft the font end. I handle the climbing issue through the use of a TALAS fork so I can drop the front end on demand. Best of both worlds:
    2" Riser bars for XC-michaels-bike-032.jpg

I also use a Gravity Dropper and at full extension you can see the saddle is just higher than the bars. However, the post is a 5" drop so the seat gets out of the way when gravity calls!
    2" Riser bars for XC-michaels-bike-003.jpg

Good luck in your search,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Nice rig Michael! Lookin the way an MTB should

mtbr member
    Not to thread jack. But as of rite now, I have the stock bars on my bike. I would like a ill bit of a rise because I have to much pressure on my hands and they get a ill soar after a while. How do you know or measure how much of a rise will work best?
    '13 Trek Mamba/shimano-m780/pro taper carbon 720 AM bars/
    '13 Trek Madone 4.5/shimano ultegra 6700.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Nice rig Michael! Lookin the way an MTB should
    Hey Mr. RDI,

Thanks for your kind words!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I stepped my stems back and now I'm stepping my bars higher - don't know of another way unless you get a pro fit. If you have standard size bars and stem you can try some cheap bars or you can go to a bike shop who will work w/you - they'll sell you some cheaP higher rise bars - if you like them they should swap out the bars and credit you the price of the cheap bars toward your permanant bars.

Roaring Mouse Cycles in the SF does it that way - good luck!