mtbr member
    Jun 2011

1993 GT Bravdo Rebuild

Here are a few photos of a rebuilt 1993 GT Bravado. This was my first XC bike which I bought in France, I think in '93. I have ridden this bike in three continents, so have become quite attached to it.
    The build spec is a bit variable, but where do you stop when spending money?
    I have a full suss (Giant Anthem X1) for playing around when off road. The roads in Phuket are not very smooth so will use this one as a touring bike
    I'm really pleased with the feel and fit of the bike, hope you guys like it half as much as me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1993 GT Bravdo Rebuild-gt-rear-brake-01.jpg  

1993 GT Bravdo Rebuild-front-brakes-01.jpg  

1993 GT Bravdo Rebuild-gt-01.jpg  

1993 GT Bravdo Rebuild-gt-bravado-1994-half-shto-01.jpg  

1993 GT Bravdo Rebuild-gt-seat-post-01.jpg  

REALLY?
    Thats a real nice nice GT ya got there...you dont have to convince me, I have three of them...in fact I have a 92 Ritcher 8.0, pretty much the exact frame you have, they ride perfect, I love all of mine.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That is one a clean bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That's one good lookin' bike. What tires are those?
    My garage is a revolving door of bikes, wheelsets, & frames
    www.mtbdeals.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The head angle looks pretty slacked. This bike didnt use a threaded headset? I'm not too keen on older bikes but I kind of thought anything before 95 or so usually had threaded headsets...?

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by 99mikegt View Post
    The head angle looks pretty slacked. This bike didnt use a threaded headset? I'm not too keen on older bikes but I kind of thought anything before 95 or so usually had threaded headsets...?
    I think you might be correct sir...however OP has decided NOT to go VRC (or build it period correct) on this bike and has updated it with newer parts, thus he ditched the threaded headset.

All my GT's use the newer threadless headsets as well, I'm not very period correct either.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was thinking that you still needed to use a threaded headset, and then an adapter to run a threadless stem and your bars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    great, only thing that's missing are XTR v-brakes...

mtbr member
    Very true. Beautiful bike but needs 20-40mm of travel taken out of that fork to make the bike handle like it should.

These old GTs handle so well to begin with that it would be a shame to slacken them out too much. For the record, I'm another guy with a modern parts, vintage GT.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Really Smart Mate

Former Bike Wrench
    Those were nice True Temper frames, very well built. Did you have to spread the rear drop-outs? Pretty sure a 1993 would be 130mm spaced. That's the beauty of steel, easy to "convert" to the new rear dropout spacing.

REALLY?
    I was thinking that you still needed to use a threaded headset, and then an adapter to run a threadless stem and your bars.
    Thats why you swap to a threadless fork...and threadless headset, as long as its the same diameter as the frame in question, it can be used, it really doesnt matter if the frame is old or not.

I suppose you could use some sort of an adaptor, but I really wouldnt see the point.

mtbr member
    I had a '93 GT Corrado..True Temper frameset. Love those '90s GTs! Your looks like it is great shape.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sslikesnake View Post
    That's one good lookin' bike. What tires are those?
    The tires are by Intense Tire Systems, Xc 2.0.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    That's one of the nicest build I have seen of a GT steel frame, can you please detail me all the components you have used and the process of repainting the frame?

Would be of great help since I have a GT 1993 corrado and really can't decide of keeping it orig spec or upgrade it like yours.

Thank you.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    ^^^

I just rebuilt my early 90's GT Karakoram. I striped her down to the frame and had it powder-coated. Came out really nice. Its built as a single-speed at the moment. I found someone local to powder-coat it for $80.00 plus tax.

I ended up replacing the front fork, seat, headset (By the way -- My fork was NOT threaded), and tires. I'm messing with the brakes at the moment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yeah powder-coat is the way to go, but have yet to find a place where they work it in my area. Add pictures when finished to see the result. Cheers.