mtbr member

180 deg turn with a 1' drop

There is one turn on one of my favorite local trails that I never feel I ride as efficiently as I should.

I'll try to describe it as best I can. It's on a fast, flowy, descent so I never think to stop and take a picture.

The turn is on a narrow ST descent and makes a 180 degree, non-burmed turn. As you approach the turn, there is a large tree to the outside, which prevents me from taking the turn wide. On the inside of the turn, pretty much at the tightest inner curve, is another tree. The roots from that tree make about a 1' drop right in the middle of the turn.

Finally, there is a third tree positioned on the outside arc of the turn.

I recently changed bikes from a HT to a FS. On the HT, this turn was very tough. Having to navigate the turn and the drop was difficult and usually resulted in me coming almost to a full stop after the drop and skidding the back tire. On my new FS (a wonderful bike!), I no longer have to skid but I still don't ride this very smoothly I hit the drop and nearly stop while inching the bike around the corner. The FS prevents me from bucking off the drop and allows me to keep moving but it's still not efficient or smooth.

Is there a trick to this that can be explained without seeing the actual turn? In a perfect world, I'd probably go wide to the outside, make most of the turn above the drop, and then try to hit the drop straight. But the tree on the outside, above the drop, makes this difficult.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I believe in his newest video 'five' Chris akrigg demonstrates the proper technique with a 29er ht.

Ok, kidding, but without seeing pictures I can't give you much help. If you just roll the drop would your chainring/bash catch?

Professional Crastinator
    Can you do the drop with your bike leaned AND turning?

When I go for something like that, I am trying to place my front tire in the correct position to exit whatever it is.

You should already have the bike leaned more than your body for the turn.
    You should have your weight back (or, that is, your bike out front) for the manual drop.

When your front tire goes out into space, make sure the bike is still pivoting/swinging through the turn. This means your body has to be well inside the turn relative to your bike. It's easy to get your weight too far on top of your bike and heading off on a tangent, so maybe try rolling it and dragging bottom before you wheelie drop it.

Or practice a turning, leaning manual off something small. Pivoting in the air will also help get your bike at least pointed in the right direction and hopefully clearing your rear wheel of the obstacle.

I'm also thinking "wall ride" over/around the drop. Not really a wall ride, but there must be something other than air and trees there, right?

-F

PS - this is not the only way - this is just how I'd [try to] ride it.
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Workin for the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick2cents View Post
    I believe in his newest video 'five' Chris akrigg demonstrates the proper technique with a 29er...
    I've watched that video 5 times now, still amazed at some of those XC skills he has climbing that switchbacky trail!

mtbr member
    W
    T
    F
    ???

I'd never heard of this Chris Akrigg guy so I did a random youtube search and found this:

Chris Akrigg - A Hill in Spain - YouTube

Yeah, I've seen lots of videos of trials guys like Danny McCaskill (sp?) but this guy is actually riding on a real trail bike! Great combination of techincal skills, climbing, and trials skills. Damn overachiever!
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    The turn is on a narrow ST descent and makes a 180 degree, non-burmed turn. As you approach the turn, there is a large tree to the outside, which prevents me from taking the turn wide. On the inside of the turn, pretty much at the tightest inner curve, is another tree. The roots from that tree make about a 1' drop right in the middle of the turn.

Finally, there is a third tree positioned on the outside arc of the turn.
    Hah we have a trail like that called MoosePackers....8 switchbacks in a row...the top 3 are very similar to what you describe....

The trail comes to the switchback then a 1 to 2 foot drop just before the apex of the turn....

The trick usually lies in picking the line on the three bad ones the best line is to ride very high on trail as you enter the corner run the front tire as far as you can then turn and drop to the lower level....the rear will follow and generally take a lot more of a drop than the front...

Works for me anyway. Moose Packers - Ridgeback Alberta - YouTube check out 3:50....

usually cranky
    you should be able to roll right over a drop like that, just get your body position correct. tough to say without seeing it but id treat it like any other tight turn and enter slow and exit picking up speed.