mtbr member
    Jul 2013

140 mm too much for 650b xc race bike?

I was looking at getting a khs sixfifty 6500 to race xc but I think 140mm is too much for a xc race bike but I would be going down some gnarly descents but there would also some big climbs. I am having a hard time deciding on what to get I would prefer to get a 650b though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    SIXFIFTY 6500 | KHS Bicycles
    This is the bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 140 mm too much for 650b xc race bike?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Probably not that many people in the races you are interested in are riding bikes like that, are they?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    They are racing bikes like giant trances and bikes like that

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Probably not that many people in the races you are interested in are riding bikes like that, are they?
    They are riding bikes like giant trances

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You could race it ,is it to much bike for CC racing? Most likely ,are you wanting to race to have fun or win? How would you ride the bike when you are not racing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    You could race it ,is it to much bike for CC racing? Most likely ,are you wanting to race to have fun or win? How would you ride the bike when you are not racing?
    I would ride xc and some trails on it when not racing and yes I would be racing competitively. I live in Maine so the terrain is quite rocky, So It would be fairly aggressive xc racing. I just don't want the bike to slow me down

mtbr member
    For XC racing, the most travel I would have is 100mm. I am currently running 80mm in the front, and 100mm in the back. I am very happy with this setup. It also works decently for trail riding, I even took it to a bike park a couple of times. With less travel you just have to choose your lines better. I'd say that 140mm is WAY to much for XC racing. Thats a lot of extra weight and it'll make the bike feel sluggish compared to true XC bikes. I think you can be perfectly happy with 100mm travel front and rear.

Uncle
    SC Solo is 125/130mm, and I suspect the carbon version frame is in the mid-4lb weight range. KHS is offering a new 120mm FS bike for 2014; info about it should be around soon. Both offer more travel than needed, but should the SC at least should provide a very efficient platform for xc racing. And it'll still be a hoot on trails. Seems like there's another company unveiling their 27.5 bikes every week, so maybe sit tight for a few more months and see what else appears.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    SC Solo is 125/130mm, and I suspect the carbon version frame is in the mid-4lb weight range. KHS is offering a new 120mm FS bike for 2014; info about it should be around soon. Both offer more travel than needed, but should the SC at least should provide a very efficient platform for xc racing. And it'll still be a hoot on trails. Seems like there's another company unveiling their 27.5 bikes every week, so maybe sit tight for a few more months and see what else appears.
    I would like to get the 120mm 2013 khs 650b but it has horrible components

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    And I'm stuck with khs bikes because this what my local bike shop can get me a good deal on

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    people put 110mm or 120mm forks to replace 100mm on 26"XC *if* they find them a bit on harsh side, but 140mm for racing seems way too much... particularly on a 650b!

mtbr member
    I would suggest against it from an XC racing perspective. Where I live in northern Cali you do not see many 140mm bikes at the races. Efficiency, speed and climbing ability rule the game. Longer travel may take some pain from downhills but most races I have seen or been in are won on the climbs.

I can relate the the Giant Trance comparison as that is what this is so similar to. It is an all mountain build so it can take a bit more hucking than a 100mm bike. I nice ride to have in the quiver if possible. The Giant Anthem would be more of the XC race bike and what is in line with my current FS XC race bike. I find very few instances where I am not on enough bike with 100mm travel and I have owned 120mm's in the past on the same trails. I actually have noticed an increase in speed on downhills (other things have an impact on that as well).

I want to also introduce the concept of reduced travel on 650b and 29ers as the wheels are doing more work in that department. A friend just got a 650b hardtail and feels it performs better in northeast rocky terrain than his 120mm full suspension Scott Spark. If only we could have a stable of bikes to grab for that day hmmm...