Dirt Huffer

10 speed Shimano grip shift on the horizon?

I refuse to switch back to SRAM deraillures but I like their grip shifters. Any word on when or if they will release an Attack version of their 10speed grip shifters?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It took a freaking long time to get X0, and they still don't have lower tiers. I think it will be a long wait for an Attack model, if ever.

Dirt Huffer
    Time for Shimano to come out with their own model twist shift.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I don't know if grip shift is the way to go. SRAM heavily promoted it in Team Specialized in 2011 and said that it is the best as seen on YouTube but if look closely at Specialized411 chanel in 2012 they went back to trigger shifters.

P.S. RIP Barry Stander. You are a legend.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    I doubt Shimano will be doing GripShift anytime soon. They've already done 11-speed for road drivetrains, so I'd expect them to do something like that for mountain bikes as well. Either a direct competitor for XX1, or something more similar to a 2x11 drivetrain.

If you really want to use SRAM GripShift with Shimano derailleurs, use a Shiftmate Straight.

I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    If you really want to use SRAM GripShift with Shimano derailleurs, use a Shiftmate Straight.
    There isn't one of those that will work with the Shimano Dyna-Sys 10 speed rear derailleurs, they have a different pull ratio to other Shimano rear derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Time for Shimano to come out with their own model twist shift.
    Didn't shimano have one years back for 6-7 speeds? I could sware I remembered one.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Didn't shimano have one years back for 6-7 speeds? I could sware I remembered one.
    Shimano still makes 7/8 speed twist shifters but they aren't in the 'Mountain' range of products.

SL-7S10
    SL-7S20
    SL-8S20
    SB-8S20

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    Shimano have always had gripshift, but it's called revoshift, available in 6, 7 and 8 spd flavors.
    Cobba beat me to it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yeah I thought so. Just nothing updated to 9 /10 speed yet. I've had SRAM gripshifters and then the lever shifters all I can say is I liked them both quite a bit, no preference there.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    There isn't one of those that will work with the Shimano Dyna-Sys 10 speed rear derailleurs, they have a different pull ratio to other Shimano rear derailleurs.
    I realized that after I looked through J-Tek's website a bit more. But there's nothing wrong with 9-speed stuff.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I realized that after I looked through J-Tek's website a bit more. But there's nothing wrong with 9-speed stuff.
    Second that! Not a thing wrong with good 9 speed setups. I have 9 speed X7 and XO and both work well.

I'm in the group that isn't going to be well served by the benefit of the extra gear range of 10 or 11 speed, as I tend to ride the middle and big rings, paired with the 4th to 8th cogs in the rear. Having more spread would do nothing for me, so I actually have plenty of twist shifters to pick from, including Attack, X7/X9/and XO all in 9 speed.

If you're dead set on 10 speed (does have some advantages for many riders) then XO and XX are the only choices for twist shifting as of yet.
    Riding the Geese since '98! Check out my youtube videos at www.youtube.com/mongoosejake

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    You're over-complicating things. If you want a performance 10 speed Grip-Shift, you'll have to go with a SRAM rear derailleur.

I would expect to see 11 speed electronic shifters from Shimano before grip shift. Their only releases in twist shifters have been parts for townie bikes.

Warrior's Society
    After running X.0 Grip Shift and rear derailluer, I won't go back to Shimano.

One of the only issues holding me back from going 10 spd was the lack of a Grip Shift.

Now they are available.....I can finally make the change.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    If you like Shimano products and want a Grip Shifter - use a SRAM 9speed X0/X9 grip shifter with a Shimano 10speed derailleur, and 9 speed cassette. 9spd SRAM cable pull is the same as 10spd mtb Shimano so you can mix and match. IE 10speed Shimano shifter on 9speed SRAM derailleur for a cheap 10speed conversion or the other way around for 9speed grip shift using 10speed Shimano derailleurs.

If you want 10speed grip shifter you'll need to go SRAM all the way.

usually cranky
    doubtful they will make one, they're already onto 11 speed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Last edited by chunky1x; 01-31-2013 at 05:00 AM.

Dirt Huffer

SWEET! thanks!

mtbr member
    My dream, that will remain unfulfilled, is a Shimano 10 speed 11-40/42 cassette with a Shimano gripshift. And actually, if somebody came up with a 9 speed 11-40 cassette I could just stick with my attack shifters: a 9 speed 11 13 15 18 21 25 30 35 40 would be so nice ...

Maybe Action Tec can do it, they have already a 39 cog. But I am a bit afraid of their "Shark Tooth" design, and cost that is quite stratospheric at $390 for 11-39 (although it is heat treated titanium) ... Really wish there was a SLX level 9 speed 11x36 ... but

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    I'm running a Sram XX 10spd drivetrain w gripshift, and I just love it. Most awesome shifting I've ever had. I don't miss Shimano one bit.