mtbr member
    May 2004

'03 Formula B4 SL's - Problems anyone?

Hello,

I see good reviews for the '04 SL+ Formula B4, but the '03's seemed to have some leaking and other problems. I need a good, light set of disk brakes, but I'm also looking to save a buck or two w/ used brakes. I've seen several sets of the '03 B4 SL at very good prices - generally 150.00 or so less than new Hope mono minis (cannot really afford new Marta SL's), for example. Any suggestions concerning the '03 formula B4's?

Thanks,
    stephen walters

A wheelist
    I see good reviews for the '04 SL+ Formula B4, but the '03's seemed to have some leaking and other problems. I need a good, light set of disk brakes, but I'm also looking to save a buck or two w/ used brakes. I've seen several sets of the '03 B4 SL at very good prices - generally 150.00 or so less than new Hope mono minis (cannot really afford new Marta SL's), for example. Any suggestions concerning the '03 formula B4's?

Some '03 B4SL developed leaks around the master cylinder bladder and Formula came out with a kit to stop this. The kit solved a couple of other potential problem areas too. My B4SL - the first set into N.Am - didn't have this problem and still don't.

Thorsten (N.Am Formula importer) was shipping the kits a while ago to all B4 owners. If you contact him (formula@khsbicycleparts.com) the "Special Upgrade" kit number is FD40058-20. Great brakes.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.