mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well *Bike stolen, need help with choosing replacement*

Well, Iím a bit heartbroken that my beloved Rocky Mountain Vertex 30 has been stolen from my storage locker. I had gotten her in 06 but have enjoyed a lot of fun times with her. I have renters insurance and also a replacement value add on so I was told by my insurance company that I would need to purchase a replacement and that they would then pay me back for it. Its bit bittersweet because I loved that bike but am now faced with getting a new one.
    Given that this bike was an 06 26' hard tail a lot has changed in todayís technology etc and I am not very familiar with what is out there. I was looking at the Rocky Mountain 930 which I would guess is the new nomenclature for the 30 but am not sure if this would be the best option in this 1600$ range. Personally i loved the bike but it was always a bit on the heavy side so I was thinking maybe something a little lighter as I am not getting any younger. I know you are supposed to test ride it and get what feels best but was hoping you guys could help me narrow down the choices to try. I mostly ride single track trails recreationally on the weekends and do not race.

Thank you for your time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So are you just wanting something in the $1600 range and not something more specific?
    Do you have a preference on 29 vs 26 or FS vs hardtail?