jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007

X-cal vs Paragon worth the $ for lower level rider?

Looking for a new ride for my wife. She's not a real racer. She enters a couple times a year just to do it. My LBS has a Paragon in her size in and an X-cal to ship in a week. I'm not sure she'd ever know the difference between the 2. They both have the same fork. They have the same frame right? so aside from drive train and an upgrade in brakes they are essentially the same bike.

Her current ride is an '08 Trek 4500 so Rock Shox dart 3, Deore/Alivio drivetrain and SD7 rim brakes. So either bike is lightyears above her current setup.

That said any compelling reason to drop another $400 for a less desirable paint scheme. She loves the green on the X-cal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The 2011 Paragons have a different frame than the rest of the 2011 aluminum line up. I'd get the Xcal and either save the money or invest it toward strategic or needed upgrades. The Xcal's do loo great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just bought a Paragon over the X cal. My thought process was: better rims, debatable better der's, better brakes, external bb. However, they really are close.

kdiddy - why is the fact regarding the 2011's different aluminum frame a factor? Just curious and a little slow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    2010 upper level 29ers have been sold out for a while and hard to come by, so if a bike is schedued to be in stock soon from Trek, it is likely a 2011. Also, don't the 2010 Xcals come with Duster rims? They are the same extrusion as the rhythm wheels, except that they have 32 holes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sorry, I was told the rims were better, but I do not know for myself. I bow to kdiddy.
    Whats' an extrusion?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The 2011 Paragon will use a longer fork, 100mm and an E2 tapered steerer tube (1.5 inch taper).

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by mefistofeles
    The 2011 Paragon will use a longer fork, 100mm and an E2 tapered steerer tube (1.5 inch taper).
    Seems all 2011 GF Collection HTs are spec'd with 100mm forks.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy
    2010 upper level 29ers have been sold out for a while and hard to come by, so if a bike is schedued to be in stock soon from Trek, it is likely a 2011. Also, don't the 2010 Xcals come with Duster rims? They are the same extrusion as the rhythm wheels, except that they have 32 holes.
    It is a backordered 2010. Both bikes are or at least the X-cal is supposed to be. If it's a 2011 the decision is made. She'll deal with the Paragon color scheme or go elsewhere. The collection does not speak to her. Not to mention Fox vs Reba & 10 speed = no room for debate.

80 vs 100mm is irrelevant as well as she has yet to ride outside of Michigan.

EDIT confirmed with the shop it's a 2010.

So same frame, same fork, similar wheels right?

$400 for Elixir 5 vs Juicy 3, and X9 vs X7, and lightweight stem, bar, seatpost
    Last edited by jalopy jockey; 06-28-2010 at 06:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If she likes the look of the Xcal better and wouldn't appreciate the difference in parts of the Paragon, I'd save your money and make her happy with the better looking, less expensive bike.

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy
    If she likes the look of the Xcal better and wouldn't appreciate the difference in parts of the Paragon, I'd save your money and make her happy with the better looking, less expensive bike.
    Looking for help on any hidden ahas. Like OMG the wheels alone are worth that they are 4# lighter and so much stiffer.

X7 vs X9 you gotta be good to notice. 30g on the bar/stem/seat post each going from Race to Race lite. Not worth it. She's got 30 to loose on her 1st.

Granted for $400 I could get a pretty decent wheelset.

She'd be happy just getting disk brakes for her 4500. For maybe another year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jalopy jockey
    My LBS has a Paragon in her size in and an X-cal to ship in a week.
    you mean the 2011? trek told me they wouldn't ship until middle of september the earliest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jalopy jockey
    It is a backordered 2010. Both bikes are or at least the X-cal is supposed to be. If it's a 2011 the decision is made. She'll deal with the Paragon color scheme or go elsewhere. The collection does not speak to her. Not to mention Fox vs Reba & 10 speed = no room for debate.

80 vs 100mm is irrelevant as well as she has yet to ride outside of Michigan.

EDIT confirmed with the shop it's a 2010.

So same frame, same fork, similar wheels right?

$400 for Elixir 5 vs Juicy 3, and X9 vs X7, and lightweight stem, bar, seatpost
    Other differences:

> The 2010 Paragon is fitted with custom Crank Brothers Candy C pedals with cleats.

> As previously noted, compared to the 2010 X-Cal, the 2011 X-Cal is made of a different frame material - 6061 Aluminum (6061 Aluminum is also used in the 2010 & 2011 Wahoo, Marlin, Mamba frames.) 6066 Aluminum (2010 X-Cal, 2010 & 2011 Paragon) has a slightly greater material fatigue strength than 6061 Aluminum (2011 X-Cal).

> Trek offers a Woman Specific Design X-Cal for 2011.

> The 2010 GF bikes are the last to have "GARY FISHER" on the down-tube; as opposed to having "TREK" on the down-tube in 2011.

2010 Gary Fisher all the way!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    As an Owner of a Gary Fisher X-Cal for 2010. As an Employee of "Trek" I looked at getting a 29er and did the comparison between the X-Cal and the Paragon.

here is what is the same:
    Frame
    Fork
    This is 70% of what the bike really is - the fork and frame are worth it because the frame comes with lifetime warranty and the fork has the custom 51mm offset - It does really make a difference on tight single track and allows for the bike handling to remain nimble.

As far as a bike goes - I purchased the X-CAL for the following reason:
    1.) Price - No bike for $1500 with these specs from Trek. Think;1500 for a stock Fox bike.
    2.) Parts - I decided that If I was going to get anything better than X.7 I would have to get into mountain biking more or at least run my warranty out on the shifters and derailluers. REMEMBER - you will fall in the first few months getting used to Mountain bikes - you might as well not pay an extra $400 dollars for your learning curve. I plan to update all of my parts to X.9 shifters and X.0 rear after 1 year.
    I also swapped out the crankset from the Octalink one to an XT crankset when I got the bike - WELL WORTH THAT UPGRADE!!! better shifting - better climbing - better all around performance.
    3.) Color - The bike matches the new race team color kit we have just made for the bike.
    4.) Wheels - the Duster rims are as light as the Paragon wheelset, but they come with Shimano Deore hubs - which are completely rebuildable, serviceable and maintainable with grease, and a set of cone wrenches - which means you will not have a problem in the middle of a 100 mile endurance race with sealed bearings or special tools.

I love my X-CAL and if any of you guys are looking for a 2010 in a 17.5 or 19in our shop has one - ( sry for the plug, but I am not too happy they changed for 2011)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by common_man
    you mean the 2011? trek told me they wouldn't ship until middle of september the earliest.
    Confirmed - all new models shipped to shops will be 2011 with Reba on the X-CAL and Fox on the Paragon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i just placed the order for the trek x-caliber 2011. the reason i did it because my lbs was out of stock with the 2010 model and they are giving 15% pre-order. i know i am in the minority, but i prefer the rockshox reba over the fox f100 rl. the reba has motion control which is better for controlling the bobbing when climbing. it has greater adjustability to tune out the fork dive. these factors are important to me. the 6061 frame on the x-caliber is the same found on the cheap marlin but we're covered with lifetime warranty. i love everything about the 2011 x-caliber except the paint scheme. all the trek 29er bikes have an ugly paint scheme. the paint scheme on the 2010 paragon was awesome but 2011 x-caliber for $1190 with the fork i want vs $1850 (no closeouts or discounts) for a paragon...i like the color but gotta go with what's the best bike / value for me.